Oklahoma 35 50.72%
Trout (Missouri) 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #151
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Oklahoma put 65 on the #2 team in the nation. Has that ever happened?

They should get absolutely no credit for doing so. I wish they would lose BCS points for every pass attempted when up more than 20 points in the 4th quarter.

People who stump for this system should be embarassed at how it rewards poor sportsmanship.

The sad part is, it seems to work impressing voters and rating algorithms, so it would be irresponsible not to do it, given the financial impact of making the title game vs. not doing so.

I like kcchief's Texas/USC title game of non-conference champions. Anything to bring more ridicule on this system.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #152
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
They should get absolutely no credit for doing so. I wish they would lose BCS points for every pass attempted when up more than 20 points in the 4th quarter.

How about 58-14 at the end of the 3rd? Does that make you feel better? They scored once early in the 4th quarter thanks to a short field and, it seemed to me, actively tried NOT to score for the remainder of the game, including when they were inside the 5 a bit later.

Make your point about sportsmanship and how the BCS encourages style points. I'll agree. But this game is a pretty poor example in support of that point.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #153
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And it isn't like Texas Tech can't put up points in a hurry, so a lead isn't really safe against them unless you are up by 40 in the 2nd half.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #154
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

People who stump for this system should be embarassed at how it rewards poor sportsmanship.

The sad part is, it seems to work impressing voters and rating algorithms, so it would be irresponsible not to do it, given the financial impact of making the title game vs. not doing so.

I like kcchief's Texas/USC title game of non-conference champions. Anything to bring more ridicule on this system.

The computers haven't used margin of victory the past couple seasons.

The BCS has nothing to do with teams running up the score. As long as there's a top 25 people vote in and at-large births in the postseason you'll see teams running up the score.

EDIT: the lengths some go to in order to find faults in the BCS is almost as interesting as the season itself

Last edited by Atocep : 11-24-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #155
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Face it one of these 3 teams is going to lose this week. And then all the bitching and moaning will come to an end. It happens every year.

Oh no. Not OSU vs Michigan again!

Oh no, 3 undeafeted teams.

Mark it here. I guarantee at least one of the three teams will lose this weekend.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #156
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how "honest" some coaches will vote after this week. There is a lot at stake for teams like Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Texas Tech, Florida, Alabama...heck even throw Penn State in there. There was some crazy voting last year for the last Coaches Poll before the bowl games and don't think it wont happen again. You don't think Bob Stoops or Mack Brown might not rank their rival a bit lower to maybe gain them a precious .001 point or 2?

That's why the Coaches Poll should have zero say in the BCS Standings.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #157
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I wonder how "honest" some coaches will vote after this week. There is a lot at stake for teams like Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Texas Tech, Florida, Alabama...heck even throw Penn State in there. There was some crazy voting last year for the last Coaches Poll before the bowl games and don't think it wont happen again. You don't think Bob Stoops or Mack Brown might not rank their rival a bit lower to maybe gain them a precious .001 point or 2?

That's why the Coaches Poll should have zero say in the BCS Standings.

Leach and Brown have a vote in the coaches poll, Stoops doesn't.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #158
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You don't think Bob Stoops or Mack Brown might not rank their rival a bit lower to maybe gain them a precious .001 point or 2?

Bob Stoops doesn't vote in the coaches' poll. He resigned last year when four coaches voted Missouri ahead of OU after OU demolished Missouri in the Big XII Championship game (which was the 2nd time OU beat Missouri last year.)
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #159
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Okay I wasn't sure who had one and who didn't. I knew Stoops had one last year. Paterno gave his up last year or the year before.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #160
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:

Oklahoma averages 52.6 points per game. They average 4.36 fourth quarter points per game. I don't think they've been running up the score.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #161
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Stoops done politicking for Sooners

Bob Stoops is done with the politicking that has turned the national championship race into a campaign, and he thinks other coaches are getting tired of it, too.

"It's unfortunate. No one likes to do it," the Oklahoma coach said Tuesday at his weekly news conference. "I think that's why more and more of us say, `Hey, let's find a way to get a playoff in place so that we don't have to do that."'

His Sooners sit third in the latest BCS standings, a minuscule eight thousandths of a point behind rival Texas for the second-place spot that would put them in position to play for the national championship.

Having already made his case for why Oklahoma deserves one of the top two spots after a 65-21 rout of then-No. 2 Texas Tech on Saturday, he refused to do it again on Tuesday.

"You know what the arguments are. Everybody can raise them as they want to," Stoops said.

The challenge for the third-ranked Sooners (10-1, 6-1 Big 12) is to do enough to sway BCS poll voters to put them ahead of Texas on their ballots, even though the Longhorns beat Oklahoma 45-35 loss to Texas at the Cotton Bowl in October.

Oklahoma is already ahead of Texas in the coaches and Harris polls, but needs to lengthen that lead and gain ground in the computer rankings, where the Longhorns have a slim lead.

Chances are, Oklahoma can make enough of a jump in the computers by simply beating No. 11 Oklahoma State (9-2, 5-2) in the Bedlam rivalry game Saturday to pass or match Texas. The road game against another highly ranked team will provide the Sooners a boost in strength in schedule that Texas won't get by hosting Texas A&M.

"I'm not going to sit here and debate all that. We're concentrated on going to Oklahoma State and being as prepared as we can be and focused to play a really strong team. That's what we have to do," Stoops said. "From there, we'll see where it goes."

Stoops said he was "not going to go through all the hypotheticals," and he believes there's no room for the Sooners to concern themselves with style points. They've got enough of a challenge playing at Stillwater, where they lost in 2002 and their last two wins have come by a combined nine points.

"When you're the one that has to compete, you do all you can to focus on being as prepared as you can to win whatever way you have to," Stoops said. "Always, going on the road, no matter where you're going, is never easy. You've got to be able to meet that challenge."

Stoops laid out the Sooners' case Saturday night, dismissing the logic that Texas should remain ahead of them on the strength of the October win because the same logic would have Texas Tech staying ahead of the Longhorns because of its head-to-head win earlier this month.

Even Florida was brought into the mix: "If you're going to forgive other people for one loss because they're playing well now," Stoops continued, "forgiving a team for losing at home to an unranked team and they're playing well now, so let's vote them up there. Well, we're playing pretty well right now, too."

But all that posturing was over once game week started.

"We can't worry about the voters and where they're going to rank us or anything like that. We've just got to come out and do our job and know at the end of the day we left it all out on the field," cornerback Dominique Franks said.

"Wherever they figure we should be, that's where we'll be."

It doesn't do much good for Stoops and his players to delve into how certain computer rankings have Texas Tech rated in front of the Sooners because they consider only wins and losses, and not final scores, or how their bid to bolster strength of schedule by facing Cincinnati and TCU seems to be wiped out by Championship Subdivision foe Chattanooga and winless Washington, which wasn't nearly so bad when the game was scheduled a few years ago.

All they can do is win.

"I don't sit and try to figure it out, but I know what numbers show up on the TV. We know what we have to do to extend our season and reach the goals that we set for ourselves," linebacker Austin Box said.

"This coming Saturday is a big stepping stone for that, so we're going to have to go out and play our best football."

Link to article "Stoops done politicking for Sooners
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #162
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The BCS has nothing to do with teams running up the score. As long as there's a top 25 people vote in and at-large births in the postseason you'll see teams running up the score.

EDIT: the lengths some go to in order to find faults in the BCS is almost as interesting as the season itself

I agree with you that as long as there have been opinion polls that matter, coaches have run up the score. That one of a hundred reasons why championships awarded by votes instead of points scored on the field are a joke. I don't hate the BCS compared to the old system, I hate it compared to the way real championships are decided.

I don't understand the great lengths comment at all. By saying that I hate championships decided by opinion polls rather than on field performance, how am I going to great lengths to hate it? I don't feel I went to great lengths at all, I found it quite easy to hate the system.

Last edited by Samdari : 11-25-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote