Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #151
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Agreed. I don't see how Anderson is worth 5 million a year over a journeyman starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
ESPN is reporting the Vikings are trading Troy Williamson to the Jaguars for a 6th round pick. What a huge bust he was for the Vikings. Maybe he will do better in a different environment.
Well, he's a WR going to the Jaguars. Those guys always bust (Jimmy Smith excepted.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #152
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions appear to get an early jump in free agency. They signed safety Dwight Smith to a 2 year/$5 million deal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #153
Galaxy
Coordinator

I take it if your released, you are able to sign regardless of the date?

FA starts Saturday, correct?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #154
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Yep, because earlier Seattle signed Mike Wahle after Carolina released him, and one other move where a player was released and signed by another team...but I can't remember who now, so couldn't have been important.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #155
kurtism
High School Varsity

Colts cut Booger McFarland, Rob Morris, save $8mm.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS03/80227051
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #156
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Yep, because earlier Seattle signed Mike Wahle after Carolina released him, and one other move where a player was released and signed by another team...but I can't remember who now, so couldn't have been important.

Zack Thomas to Dallas?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #157
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dwight Smith is certainly an improvement. Kennoy Kennedy was pretty awful. How well the Lions will be at safetly depends on how well Bullocks recovers from his knee injury.

Still, the Smith signing is filling one of the about 8 or 9 holes that need to be filled on the defensive side of the ball.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #158
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Dwight Smith is certainly an improvement. Kennoy Kennedy was pretty awful. How well the Lions will be at safetly depends on how well Bullocks recovers from his knee injury.

Still, the Smith signing is filling one of the about 8 or 9 holes that need to be filled on the defensive side of the ball.

Agreed. I want Travis LaJoy from Tennessee. A Dwayne White type at DE, puts up big sack #s in limited play but the guy in my opinion can be a full time DE in this league.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #159
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
From profootballtalk.com

POSTED 9:03 p.m. EST, February 26, 2008

SAMUEL SAID TO BE A "DONE DEAL" IN NEW ORLEANS

There's increasing chatter in league circles that the Saints have worked out a deal with cornerback Asante Samuel.

Yeah, it's tampering. But no one seems to care about that.

Samuel supposedly is looking for a contract with an average value in excess of $10 million per year.

if there's tampering i hope the commish throws the fucking book at the saints. we ought to get draft picks for that.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:48 PM   #160
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Colts cut Booger McFarland, Rob Morris, save $8mm.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS03/80227051

Not surprised about Booger, he was do some big $$$. I hate seeing Morris go. He was never great, but I do think he was underappreciated. He came on really well the Super Bowl year. I'll miss seeing him around. He might come back at the minimum though.

Still, it freed up, what, 8 mil. Not bad.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #161
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Some Jets news...

Vilma is in Detroit right now getting a physical. Most likely the deal would be for DT Shaun Rogers.

OLB Calvin Pace has narrowed his choices down to the Jets, Dolphins, and 49ers.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #162
bhlloy
Coordinator

How big are the chances that Vilma's injury will significantly affect his career from here on out? On the face of it, seems like a great move for the Lions, that is going to be a hell of a linebacker corps with Sims already in town.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #163
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How big are the chances that Vilma's injury will significantly affect his career from here on out? On the face of it, seems like a great move for the Lions, that is going to be a hell of a linebacker corps with Sims already in town.

Vilma's injury and condition sound pretty bad. He's a great player when healthy, but I wonder weather he'll ever really be healthy again. Depending on what the Jets are asking for, this could be a huge risk.

Vilma+Sims = 2/3 of a decent linebacker corps.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #164
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Some Jets news...

Vilma is in Detroit right now getting a physical. Most likely the deal would be for DT Shaun Rogers.

OLB Calvin Pace has narrowed his choices down to the Jets, Dolphins, and 49ers.

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't give the Jets 2 DTs not suited to play NT while trying to switch to a 3-4?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #165
rjolley
College Starter

Come on Bears, resign Briggs. And Berrian turned down a nice contract. $25M over 5 with an $8M signing bonus. Would love to keep him, but save the money for a solid back like Turner and a lineman like Fanica, then draft a lineman to replinish the group.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #166
DeToxRox
Head Coach

New Lions rumor is an exchange of DT's Rogers to Jax for Stroud
Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #167
Dunleavy
High School JV

Berrian picked a good year to be FA, weak WR class and a lot of teams need help there. he had a few suspect games last season so i'm not buying him as a #1 wr but someone else will leaving the Bears without it's two starting wr's from a year ago

and Briggs is 99% gone

i'm interested to see what happens at midnight but the bears seem to put a lot of time and energy into resign players, and they did resign several but not those two above, so i'm not sure if they have anything else cooking as far as a big money signing, historical if they are going to do that they do it quickly. and Greise will be cut shortly
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #168
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, Clayton was suggesting that 2nd tier guys like Drew Carter and DJ hackett might get 5m a year. Seems as if the NFL is quickly turning into MP FOF.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #169
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Rams cut Isaac Bruce and the Cowboys re-signed Flozell Adams keeping him from entering FA.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #170
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Reports flying around here- Vilma is VERY close to becoming a Saints, saw something on NOLA.com, as well as something from the Washington post.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #171
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Rams cut Isaac Bruce and the Cowboys re-signed Flozell Adams keeping him from entering FA.

I guess that means the Moss to Cowboys rumors are pretty much dead now?

The Saints are pretty aggressive.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #172
Galaxy
Coordinator

Does Free agency open tonight or March 1st (midnight)?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #173
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like DT Corey Williams is going to be traded to the Browns. Packers were believed to be wanting a 2nd rounder.

If that turns out to be the case, not a bad deal to get a 2nd rounder for a guy you were going to lose in FA anyways.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #174
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Does Free agency open tonight or March 1st (midnight)?

I thought 11 PM CST tonight.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #175
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post

6 yrs 42mil 15 mil guaranteed the first three years. High price, but good move for Dallas. They had options for replacing him, but he did a fantastic job last season against some pretty good pass rushers.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #176
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I thought 11 PM CST tonight.

It's 9 pm PST
Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #177
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Sounds like DT Corey Williams is going to be traded to the Browns. Packers were believed to be wanting a 2nd rounder.

If that turns out to be the case, not a bad deal to get a 2nd rounder for a guy you were going to lose in FA anyways.
After that nuts deal the Raiders just gave Kelly, I thought there was no way we would keep Williams (who's probably our 3rd or 4th best DT when healthy). Getting a 2nd rounder for him would be great. Not a bad deal for Cleveland, too, as he is a solid DT. GB is just stacked with talent at DT.

ESPN seems to be confirming it as the #57 pick in the draft for Williams.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 AM   #178
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I guess that means the Moss to Cowboys rumors are pretty much dead now?

The Saints are pretty aggressive.

Dead as soon as they were spoken. There is absolutely no way Moss was signing in Dallas. He hates T.O. Why would you want to share the spotlight. That made no sense from the get go. I am pretty positive Moss will be staying in NE. Samuel, on the other hand, is pretty much out the door. The Pats will have a lot of work to do in the secondary. In a couple of days, they pretty much won't even have a quality #2 CB ('cause let's face it, Hobbs is not good).
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 AM   #179
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Why do I see the Buc's or Panthers making an effort to swipe Moss from the Pats? I thought this was pretty much a done deal as well but the more I look over things I have no reason to believe the Panthers arent in the process of making a big attempt and the Bucs HAVE to spend 28 million to reach the salary cap floor.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:31 AM   #180
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Kris Jenkins to the Jets for 3rd and 5th round picks.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #181
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Ok so Vilma is now a Saints
C Jeff Faine is now a Bucc (or at least will be)... He is pretty good, but he isn't that good...they gave him a lot of $$$
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anderson re-signed with the Browns, 14m guaranteed, something like 24m in salary.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #183
Butter
Coordinator

So, how have the Bengals not cut Rudi Johnson?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #184
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Anderson re-signed with the Browns, 14m guaranteed, something like 24m in salary.

stupid, stupid, stupid.

he's gonna be looking over his shoulder every day for the next 3 years, and won't even be the starter next season. he's really stupid and now i will openly and actively root for him to fail. why would you stick with a team where they've heavily invested in the guy backing you up? coulda been the #1 bona fide starter with Minny.

nice job, Derek.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #185
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, but he'll be looking over his shoulder with his pockets full of life changing cash. He must not have heard anything good out in FA is the only thing I can suspect.

Quinn doesn't make that much money, and they can afford to keep him around indefinitely should Anderson fail.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #186
korme
Go Reds

My favorite Bengal, Madieu Williams, signed with the Vikings.

Fuck you mckerney
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #187
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lions back-up QB J.T. O'Sullivan has signed with the 49ers, reuniting him with Mike Martz.

Thank god. O'Sullivan was awful. If the Lions are going to have crappy back-up quaterbacks, they might as well be young guys who may be crappy due to lack of experience.

I am sure Martz is thrilled.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #188
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Yeah, but he'll be looking over his shoulder with his pockets full of life changing cash. He must not have heard anything good out in FA is the only thing I can suspect.

Quinn doesn't make that much money, and they can afford to keep him around indefinitely should Anderson fail.

he's making 1st round money though. that's not to sneeze at.

and it isn't even about the money. he would've been best served taking a comparable offer with another team - as their undisputed starting QB - then resigning with the Browns where they'll be all too quick to pull him. teams like Miami, Minny, Baltimore and Atlanta are in sire need of a starting QB. and the whole reason why the Browns resigned him to that deal was they were afraid of what he'd be offered as a FA. and the point isn't to just take the money and be happy with it and if you get benched - who cares? the point is to make money, perform well and set yourself up for another, even bigger contract. if he gets yanked for Quinn, spends the last 1-1.5 years as Quinn's backup no way he gets a chance at a monster payday when his current deal is over.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #189
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post

Fuck you mckerney

So, you like guys who are often out of position and regress from one season to the next?

I will admit the defense was a lot better when they let Thurman and Williams do whatever the hell they wanted. But there is a reason they sucked so bad last year. And it wasn't just Dexter Jackson getting burnt to a crisp down the middle.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #190
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I can't imagine Anderson would be worried about payday #2. He's a guy who was making (for an NFL player) nothing before this season. Now he's getting over 10 million guaranteed. So long as he keeps playing well he'll get paid. He's got a good team around him where he is with a very good LT, and a TE and WR who are talented. Miami's not signing him because they aren't giving up the #1 overall pick. MN / Baltimore might have signed him though with the draft pick compensation that's iffy, but neither have the pass catchers the Browns have. I think he clearly made the right and only good call he had.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #191
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Dallas trades DT Ferguson to Miami for a swap of 6th rounders this season and their 2009 6th round pick. A no-brainer for Dallas because they need some cap space and Jay Ratliff emerged this past season. It's also a good value for the Dolphins as if Ferguson is healthy he's a lot better than the draft picks they gave up, though as old as their defense is you'd think they'd avoid adding another 30+ yr old to the mix.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #192
rkmsuf
Head Coach

man, the jags are batting a thousand getting these wideouts

Troy Williamson and now Jerry Porter.

uh, ok.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #193
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Trade rumor. Philadelphia has offered KC their 2008 1st round pick (18th overall), their 4th round pick and Lito Sheppard in exchange for Jared Allen (who currently has the franchise tag).

I doubt that KC takes this offer, but with some improvement on that 4th round pick, they may have a tough time turning it down. Sheppard would be a great replacement for Ty Law, who was released.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #194
Swaggs
Coordinator

Without having the benefit of knowing what other types of offers were out there, I cannot blame Anderson one bit for jumping on that type of deal. If he was just a flash in the pan, he has a $14M guarantee to set himself ridiculously well off for the rest of his life.

If he is as good as you (and some others) seem to think, it is only a three-year deal, so he can get back into free agency pretty quickly or renegotiate with the Browns again in two-years. In addition, if he completely blows up and becomes a huge star, he can always hold out and renegotiate.

Anyway, since he is only 24, I think it was smart to put cash in on what could be his biggest opportunity and set himself up for cash AND get a short enough deal that he can be a free agent again when he is still relatively young.

If anything, I would question the Browns, not Anderson. They are either overpaying him from a fluke season OR he becomes a legit starting QB and they have to worry about him again in two-years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
he's making 1st round money though. that's not to sneeze at.

and it isn't even about the money. he would've been best served taking a comparable offer with another team - as their undisputed starting QB - then resigning with the Browns where they'll be all too quick to pull him. teams like Miami, Minny, Baltimore and Atlanta are in sire need of a starting QB. and the whole reason why the Browns resigned him to that deal was they were afraid of what he'd be offered as a FA. and the point isn't to just take the money and be happy with it and if you get benched - who cares? the point is to make money, perform well and set yourself up for another, even bigger contract. if he gets yanked for Quinn, spends the last 1-1.5 years as Quinn's backup no way he gets a chance at a monster payday when his current deal is over.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #195
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This FA is out of control. Way too much money going around for mid to lower level talent.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #196
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post

Fuck you mckerney

Doesn't it seem like the Vikings are always adding big name free agents every year? They always seem to be very active, but are always well under the salary cap. It's odd.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #197
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Doesn't it seem like the Vikings are always adding big name free agents every year? They always seem to be very active, but are always well under the salary cap. It's odd.

It's reportedly a bug. Jim is working on a patch to fix the Viking salary cap error.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #198
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This FA is out of control. Way too much money going around for mid to lower level talent.

This offseason is starting to remind me of some of the recent complaints I've seen in FOF MP Leagues: Plenty of teams with huge cap space and not that many FA's leading to huge contracts being offered to lesser talents.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #199
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:

No kidding...Tommie Kelly? I know the NFLPA loves this kind of ish, but for crying out loud. How much are the Bears going to have to give Tommie Harris now? $50 million guarenteed?

I heard Berrian is on a place to Minnesota, and while there is no denying he has some elite tools, I'm not sure he deserves top 10 WR money...nevertheless, if you have him stretching the D in Minnesota with Adrian Peterson and the Vikes o-line pounding defenses, I'm not sure it matters who is playing QB...

Last edited by watravaler : 02-29-2008 at 02:12 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #200
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Trade rumor. Philadelphia has offered KC their 2008 1st round pick (18th overall), their 4th round pick and Lito Sheppard in exchange for Jared Allen (who currently has the franchise tag).

I doubt that KC takes this offer, but with some improvement on that 4th round pick, they may have a tough time turning it down. Sheppard would be a great replacement for Ty Law, who was released.

Can I ask where you saw this rumor? I'm sure you're just reporting what you saw, but it sounds like the type of BS that gets thrown around a lot during the offseason leading up to the draft. I don't see that deal happening for either team though. Philly has said they're shifting Sheldon Brown to safety, presumably to accomodate Asante Samuel, so they would be giving up their starting CB plus a first round pick. Jared Allen is a beast, but considering Lito seems to get an INT every season against Dallas, I wouldn't be sorry to see him gone in the event this actually were to happen.