Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #151
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I got the .99 WoW disc at best buy (month free?) and couldn't stand it. I had recently come off of City of Heroes (which was only fun with friends).

Coming from a non-fan of WoW, I am enjoying WAR so far but wish there were more FOFC folks logged in and Guilded up. I signed on for a few months and will give it a fair shot, but so far I've played this Waaaaaay more than WoW which I almost uninstalled the first day.

I'm a non-fan of WoW myself and like WAR much better. I'm still in tier 1 with a Warrior Priest after trying a few different destruction classes. I notice that my power seems to be evolving and developing much more than in WoW, the progression feels more like Everquest's where you get NEW powers, not just bigger animations and numbers associated with the same 4 or 5 core things you've had since the 4th or 5th level. Between 7 and 10 for example, I got a very nice detaunt for use in PvE and a combo which results in snare for PvP.

I also like that in RvR combat, there is a definite strategic element. Since collision detection works, skill and positioning your melee character becomes important, and one good tank with a healer paying attention to him can hold a choke point (like the pathway in or out of the Fort flag on Nordenwatch). Roles are aligned in a noticeable rock paper scissors format...melee DPS kills ranged, ranged kills tanks, tanks deter melee DPS (although usually need help to actually kill one). Most classes have some sort of hybrid component to them, and I like the "fury" mechanic (each class calls it something different, but basically its damaging the enemy builds a meter that makes your buffs or heals more effective), and it looks like a few classes have some different mechanic entirely.

The down side is, the population seems erroneously focussed on racing through the content, and I think the game will need to settle into a rhythm of fighting the war to become really enjoyable. I intend to play either EndWar or Red Alert 3 when they come out (I am determined to pick ONE of them) and may deactivate my WAR account for a couple of months and then come back over the holidays.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #152
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Alright, I DL'ed this over the weekend(11 gigs, so probably a bad choice on my part) and I really like it. Took a little bit of playing to get the hang of things coming from WoW, but I like the way that have done a lot of things. Im a Lvl 10 shadow warrior, and its a fun class. I will probably grab another class and level that up as well. I played WoW on and off, leveling up a Mage and Shaman, but I think Im sticking with WAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Leveling seems more of a grind to me in this game, and I really cannot explain why. As a buddy pointed out to me, we're on pace to hit 40 in about 4 days /played, much less than the time it took to hit max level in WoW at release. But it seems horribly slow.

While up to 40 scenarios is the entire focus of rvr, that will change at 40. One thing I learned yesterday that I like a lot is that if one side takes enough keeps to be able to attack the other realm's capital, scenarios shut down until the open rvr battles are resolved. I think Mythic has put a number of things in place to funnel the open rvr to just a few areas at a time, avoiding some of the problems DAOC had where often you just had armies running around taking undefended keeps with no rvr combat at all.

I cant say that I agree that WAR is more of a grind than WoW. I think they both are a grind, but WAR has more things to keep me busy so far. I cant comment on the PvP up to 40, but I have friends that say they hardly ever do scenarios but have done tons of PvP leveling up. Now that is on a high population server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I just played over lunch, and everywhere I went was a ghost town. I wandered through the contested areas scouting keeps (I guess, I'm still learning all about this stuff as I'm only level 7) for almost an hour and never came across another player, be it ally or enemy. There did not appear to be anyone in the PQ areas I passed through. I saw a couple people at Redhammer Inn, and once there appeared to be 1 guy with an Open Party about 200 seconds away from me (I had checked several times).

I have no idea how other servers are, but I saw a ton of people running around on the Order side over the weekend. Thats on a medium population server not recieving the bonus xp for Order. I never waiting more than 15 minutes for a scenario. Now lets see if that keeps up throughout the week.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #153
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Update: At least one of the things coming in a 1.1 patch this fall

Adding in the Black Guard and Knight of the Blazing Sun classes (I know the 2nd one is Empire, not sure who the Black Guard is.. I'm thinking Dark Elves)
Old 10-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #154
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Update: At least one of the things coming in a 1.1 patch this fall

Adding in the Black Guard and Knight of the Blazing Sun classes (I know the 2nd one is Empire, not sure who the Black Guard is.. I'm thinking Dark Elves)

Correct on Both counts. The knights of the Blazing sun are mounted armored knights (best unit on the charge in the tabletop game)

The Black Guard are heavily armored infantry, they are the personal bodyguard of the witch King of the Dark Elves. They weild a vicious halberd and are the best fighting men in the dark elven lands. They are cold and almost impossible to break in battle (note I said ALMOST)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:43 AM   #155
condors
College Starter

got a new laptop and got it working

created a warrior priest Falstaff on iron rock
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #156
Lonnie
High School Varsity

FYI Iron Rock has the 20% bonus this week.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #157
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am just finishing up some work today, I should be on in a bit
Old 10-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #158
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I just joined a guild on mine, with Ventrillo server. I so want to punt this one kid through a WALL!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #159
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Good stuff. I finally made my way to the capitol city to put a blue item up on the AH and man that place is big. I cant wait until City raids start to happen.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 AM   #160
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I just came across this: Since I just played my last game of Mourkain Temple with Alexonas (L22 Ironbreaker).. This fits. Oh GOD does it fit.

GameSpy.com Mourkain Temple Strategy, In Pictures

KILL THE DUDE WITH THE THING!

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-20-2008 at 05:42 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #161
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I just came across this: Since I just played my last game of Mourkain Temple with Alexonas (L22 Ironbreaker)..

Welcome to tier 3, where you will spend 10 levels doing Tor Anroc, the only T3 scenario that goes off with any regularity, whose only goal is to kill the dude with the thing. Except now, its even more important, because the thing is worth more points than it is in Mourkain, so you are less likely to ignore the thing and still be able to win just by getting way more kills than the other team.

Oh, and the Tor Anroc map is unbalanced and Destro has a 2-3 second head start and will get the thing first approximately 80-90% of the time you play it.

Have fun
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #162
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Oh, and the Tor Anroc map is unbalanced and Destro has a 2-3 second head start and will get the thing first approximately 80-90% of the time you play it.

Have fun

Really? Oh thats going to piss me off. Just hit 19, so I guess I better enjoy the temple scenario while I can.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #163
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
Really? Oh thats going to piss me off. Just hit 19, so I guess I better enjoy the temple scenario while I can.

I've been in t4 for awhile so I don't know if its still the case. I was usually in a guild group in the 20s so we usually won it anyway(on the theory that even minimal coordination > full PUG I guess), I'm not sure what the winrate is overall there.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #164
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There's another Scenario (Tor Anroc) apparently where the strategy is also fairly simple:

Q: Are you punting people into the lava?

A: Yes. Good
A: No. Why aren't you punting people into the lava?

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-20-2008 at 01:40 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #165
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

How is the grind of WAR? If I don't have 4-5 hours a night to play will I still get enjoyment? I played EQ and EQ II and really enjoyed it for a few years but I really don't have the time like I did back in the day.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #166
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I did pick this one on the way home from work... what server you all playing on? Order or Destruction? What class is best for soloing?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #167
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I play order on Iron Rock. They have the 20% underpop order bonus right now, but I think it ends today. A few other guys here have joined the guild as well.

I think the best solo class for order is probably Warrior Priest. They do good damage and can heal them selves, so there is little down time. They don't have the armor of the tank, but do well soloing. Of course it's not hard to solo on any of the classes. Pretty much just play what appeals to you.

If you get on Iron Rock just send me a tell on Barrington or Londar.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #168
condors
College Starter

Have to give another vote to the Warrior Priest is the easiest to solo at least in tier 1. I think i may be able to solo public quests by level 11. I have bright wizard, Ironbreaker, and Witch hunter characters also and the WP is able to do things those others can't.

I will say the senarios are the most enjoyable for me and when you are the only healer you are the primary target for the other side can be less than fun. On the other side, I was in a group 3 warrior priests inlcuding myself and we dominated. Its amazing how much damage and healing you can do if your not respawning every minute.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 AM   #169
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I'm setting up a thread to see if we want an official FOFC Guild and where and what side.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #170
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I'm going to be giving a Warrior Priest a shot then... I started a Shadow Warrior last night (got up to lvl 5) and I'm enjoying it so far. I do like the public quest - I think WAR is the game to get me past the winter this year

What site are your guys using for information?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 10-24-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #171
condors
College Starter

wardb.com is where i have been going for information.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #172
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy FUCK do Chaos Sorcerers need to be nerfed. That all-pull ability is fucking broken.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #173
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Holy FUCK do Chaos Sorcerers need to be nerfed. That all-pull ability is fucking broken.

That's Magus It got nerfed a bit Friday to have a max # of people it can pull at once. It does seem quite unbeatable if there's an AE specced sorcerer and someone with silence or something ready for it.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #174
Radii
Head Coach

Well, I saw my first legitimate, large scale keep combat tonight. Destro pushed all the way up to the Dwarf Fortress in uhhh, Kaldrin's Valley, and a large Order force mounted to push them back and keep them from setting up to take Altdorf. There were a couple open area battles that I would estimate were about 35 vs 35 or so, and when we broke down the door of the first keep we took back I would estimate a similar size.

there are definitely some issues with collision in small spaces, but, on the whole, it was the most fun I've had in a pvp situation since DAOC back in 2002ish. I didn't lag too much given the situation and the large scale combat was excellent.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #175
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I haven't played in a large scale RvR (I think the most I've been involved is 12 vs 12) but it seems very unorganized - I guess if I got in a guild it may be a little more coordinated?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #176
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Details of the first Live Event: Mythic Entertainment | Warhammer Herald
Old 10-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #177
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I haven't played WAR in a week or two now, and I don't see myself coming back. Too bad, I kind of wasted some money there (including essentially an entire months worth of game time fees).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #178
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I haven't played WAR in a week or two now, and I don't see myself coming back. Too bad, I kind of wasted some money there (including essentially an entire months worth of game time fees).

Why don't you see yourself coming back? Just curious 'cause I just started playing WAR...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 AM   #179
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I haven't played in a large scale RvR (I think the most I've been involved is 12 vs 12) but it seems very unorganized - I guess if I got in a guild it may be a little more coordinated?

Eh, disorganized is a fair assessment of most rvr I think. I'm just starting to figure out which of my buddies are going to make it to max level and keep playing, we're figuring out the scripting system, there's an assist mod that we started using that helps, we've had a few discussions about how we generally want to be playing when there's 6 of us from my guild tagging along with a bigger warband taking a keep, or in a scenario, etc, but coordination is slow in coming. What seems to be the case most of the time is that minimal coordination is greater than no coordination which is very often what you're up against.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #180
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Why don't you see yourself coming back? Just curious 'cause I just started playing WAR...

I don't know, it just didn't grab me. I got frustrated that the parts that seemed different from WoW (PQs, Keep Battles) were always empty when I was online. I also got the twinge of "what's the point" as I wandered around getting kegs of beer for random dwarves only to be told to talk to the next dwarf over who also happens to want kegs of beer, only the kegs he wants are in another cave.

But I think the biggest thing is just that I'm discovering I don't have the time or inclination to play MMO's anymore. WAR is fantastic, and if I was 19 and living by myself I'd probably play it for hours every night and not be seen by anyone until Christmas. But at the current point in my life MMO's just don't fit. I don't want to dedicate the kind of time that makes them worthwhile, and if you don't do that, you're just carrying random kegs of beer around for faceless dwarves all the time.

I wouldn't let my opinions dissuade you or worry you. I think this breakup is truly a case of "it's not you, WAR; it's me".
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #181
Radii
Head Coach

The server I'm on has the option to transfer to 4 servers, one of them is Ironfist. Our guild is almost certainly going to move, just need to figure out where. Are many of ya'll still playing there? Any feel for how active the open rvr is on the server, big guilds, that sort of thing?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #182
Lonnie
High School Varsity

No idea about Ironfist, I'm on Iron Rock myself.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #183
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
No idea about Ironfist, I'm on Iron Rock myself.

doh, got my IronServerNames mixed up.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #184
Radii
Head Coach

Well if anyone is on Ironfist, my guild has just moved there. We renamed from
"Two Months Tops" to "Short and Easy" (I have no idea), I'm Rhiow, bright wizard.

Last edited by Radii : 11-05-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #185
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
I don't know, it just didn't grab me. I got frustrated that the parts that seemed different from WoW (PQs, Keep Battles) were always empty when I was online. I also got the twinge of "what's the point" as I wandered around getting kegs of beer for random dwarves only to be told to talk to the next dwarf over who also happens to want kegs of beer, only the kegs he wants are in another cave.

But I think the biggest thing is just that I'm discovering I don't have the time or inclination to play MMO's anymore. WAR is fantastic, and if I was 19 and living by myself I'd probably play it for hours every night and not be seen by anyone until Christmas. But at the current point in my life MMO's just don't fit. I don't want to dedicate the kind of time that makes them worthwhile, and if you don't do that, you're just carrying random kegs of beer around for faceless dwarves all the time.

I wouldn't let my opinions dissuade you or worry you. I think this breakup is truly a case of "it's not you, WAR; it's me".

This sums up my feelings exactly.

Do you want to share an apartment while we search for our next one?
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #186
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I have three 7-day trials to give away for Warhammer Online per their new promotion.

If anyone is interested please send a pm with your email address and I will send the invite your way.

I have chars on Skull Throne, playing destruction and chars on Azazel for order if anyone needs a guide.