Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #151
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'm stunned at UW's fortunes this year. Probably going to be Romar's finest year of actual coaching and will likely save his bacon as he was sure to be on the hot seat with a bad year. Such a shame that it came one year too late for UCLA's sake
Robert Upshaw is making a huge difference. Having Shawn Kemp and Jernard Jarreau healthy is also helping a lot. The team has also fully bought in to playing team defense, though having an eraser like Upshaw in the middle allows them to gamble more.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #152
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Unless something changes, UK won't face a ranked team until tourney time.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #153
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sounds like a jackass...lol

No, that would be the coach of the United Cocksuckers of Los Angeles when he didn't even shake the hand of the Virigina coach after UVA won its seventh Men's Soccer National Championship. All he could do was whine about Virginia not letting his team play their game.

What a tool, the epitome of United Cocksuckers sports.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #154
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
No, that would be the coach of the United Cocksuckers of Los Angeles when he didn't even shake the hand of the Virigina coach after UVA won its seventh Men's Soccer National Championship. All he could do was whine about Virginia not letting his team play their game.

Umm. Ok. Makes sense.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #155
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post

Someone escaped from the mental hospital...lol
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #156
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dola

He also called the PAC 12 the PAC twat in another thread so he obviously has an irrational hatred of anything involving our beloved conference.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #157
digamma
Torchbearer

Stomach flu knocked us out of going to the Harvard-Arizona State game in Phoenix today. We were in the line at the airport yesterday and had to head back home. I was sick first, then my older son, then my younger son. Luckily it appears to just be a 12 hour thing so we're in shape to watch from home today.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #158
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Stomach flu knocked us out of going to the Harvard-Arizona State game in Phoenix today. We were in the line at the airport yesterday and had to head back home. I was sick first, then my older son, then my younger son. Luckily it appears to just be a 12 hour thing so we're in shape to watch from home today.

Oh man. That sucks. Hope you all feel better.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #159
Suicane75
Coordinator

Must have been the Pac-12 Hour Flu.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #160
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Must have been the Pac-12 Hour Flu.

This post deserves rep.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #161
Atocep
Coordinator

With Juwan Staten out with the flu WVU goes on the road and hands TCU their first loss of the season 78-67. Ugly game. 61 fouls called.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Rutgers is going to have a rough go, but it is nice to see them get their first Big 10 win.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #163
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton just lost their backup point guard for the season with concussion issues. Their transfer in of a power forward from a JUCO in Idaho also still hasn't hit the floor due to knee issues.

Combine those with the dismissals of their two centers and the failure of the third center to academically qualify out of high school, and Dayton is currently operating with six scholarship players and one walk-on as a backup center logging major minutes.

Despite this UD easily beat Duquesne yesterday 81-55. Not sure how the rest of this season is going to go, but if there was ever a year that the A10 being down helped UD, it is this one.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #164
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm at the Texas-OU game and I can't remember the last time Texas has played this bad on offense. They are 4 for 26 so far in the game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #165
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Steve Alford experiment needs to be severed
Old 01-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #166
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really big win for Mizzou last night. Beat an LSU team that had won eight straight. Getting excited about how far this team has come. You can see all the freshman really starting to gain a lot of confidence.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #167
Izulde
Head Coach

There's no excuse for losing to UNR in basketball. Ever. So damn disgusted right now. Rice can recruit,but he damn sure can't seem to coach.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #168
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
The Steve Alford experiment needs to be severed

Glad it's UCLA and not IU. He seems to be a real jerk too.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-09-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #169
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Nice 18-point road win for Arizona at Oregon. The Ducks have been a little frisky this year and Arizona blew them out in the 2nd half.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #170
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Glad it's UCLA and not IU. He seems to be a real jerk too.

I don't know if he's a jerk as much as so arrogant and convinced of his own correctness that he literally can't admit to himself that he could be wrong about anything. I am sure he has convinced himself that someone else is the reason UCLA is only 9-7 and just had a five game losing streak with two nearly record-setting losses.

He's more or less turned the UCLA job into an attempt to prop up his son (who happens to be a terrible, terrible player).

Real blame to a shitstorm of an AD, though, who gave Alford a massive 10-year buyout.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #171
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

6 seconds left and thats the best shot A & M can get?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #172
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Terps are surprising me this season, but in a good way (so far). For family reasons in addition to school love, it was nice to see the Terps beat the Boilermakers.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #173
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Rutgers knocks off Wisconsin and Oregon State takes out Arizona in the same day. Craziness.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Will be interesting to see how Mizzou fares tonight against UK. Not expecting a win obviously, but would like to keep it close.

Saw that Calipari is bringing in Thomas Bryant for tonight's game. He's a 4 star in next year's class. He's already taken an official visit to Mizzou. I'm sure Calipari is hoping to lay a thumping on Mizzou to help Bryant make his decision.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #175
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Will be interesting to see how Mizzou fares tonight against UK. Not expecting a win obviously, but would like to keep it close.

Saw that Calipari is bringing in Thomas Bryant for tonight's game. He's a 4 star in next year's class. He's already taken an official visit to Mizzou. I'm sure Calipari is hoping to lay a thumping on Mizzou to help Bryant make his decision.

Bryant is not going to Mizzou. It is basically 33% Cuse, 33% Kentucky, 33% IU and 1% Missouri.

Which means he is going to Kentucky.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Bryant is not going to Mizzou. It is basically 33% Cuse, 33% Kentucky, 33% IU and 1% Missouri.

Which means he is going to Kentucky.

I agree that he likely won't, but a good beating should remove that small percentage.

There's a good chance his teammate is headed to Mizzou (Ted Kapita), so it's not too difficult to continue recruiting both in the same location.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #177
britrock88
Pro Starter

Just FYI, the PASR recruiting model on KenPom gives these odds:

#36 Thomas Bryant: Syracuse (35%), Indiana (24%), Missouri (21%), Kentucky (20%)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #178
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

So yeah, the keeping it close part is probably out the window.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #179
MrBug708
Head Coach

Least it was closer than UCLA was able to keep it
Old 01-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #180
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Great win for the Hurricanes over Duke, snapping their 41 game home winning streak.

Last year, I was confident Larranaga could rebuild and it looks like has done so very well.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #181
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Least it was closer than UCLA was able to keep it

Actually they hung 49 on Mizzou. I think UCLA and KU were only beat by like 30 or 40.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #182
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Comedy of the blowout aside, I really think that Kentucky has become the clear example that the NCAA really needs to move to the baseball rule regarding going pro. Let them go right out of HS or have to stay in school for three years. The current system isn't working at all and honestly does not make any sense.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:17 AM   #183
digamma
Torchbearer

What isn't working?

It seems like the current system allows two paths to success. The Kentucky/Louisville way or the Virginia/Wisconsin/Wichita way. Star system vs team building.

There are obviously issues with the transfer rules and shoe agents but I'm not sure Kentucky's success this season shows much of anything.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #184
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
What isn't working?

It seems like the current system allows two paths to success. The Kentucky/Louisville way or the Virginia/Wisconsin/Wichita way. Star system vs team building.

There are obviously issues with the transfer rules and shoe agents but I'm not sure Kentucky's success this season shows much of anything.
Curious why you choose Louisville as your 2nd 1 and done example? Duke's probably the 2nd best example, but for some reason people rarely complain about them.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #185
digamma
Torchbearer

That's fair. It was more just typing on an iphone and hurrying than trying to be definitive. Kentucky/Duke et. al. it is.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #186
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Curious why you choose Louisville as your 2nd 1 and done example? Duke's probably the 2nd best example, but for some reason people rarely complain about them.

Actually, while they certainly occasionally get their one and dones, like Parker last year and presumeably Okafor this year, Duke generally keeps most of their guys three or even four seasons.

I don't know that there is truly a comparable to Kentucky, with all the one and dones they get (and even they often keep those a second year at least).

It seems to me that some teams that get the top end players, like Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, Arizona, UCLA, Kansas, etc. do lose players early, but usually they stay 2-3 years, with only an occasional one and done every other year or three.

Actually, as a UCLA fan, I can say that they might be the closest to Kentucky the past couple years, since the Bruins have lost Shabazz and Lavine as one and dones, and Anderson and Adams as 2 years. And they're probably losing Looney after one year, too. The difference being that I think the kids at UCLA can't wait to leave, whereas at Kentucky, they're leaving because they're ready lol.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #187
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, while they certainly occasionally get their one and dones, like Parker last year and presumeably Okafor this year, Duke generally keeps most of their guys three or even four seasons.

I don't know that there is truly a comparable to Kentucky, with all the one and dones they get (and even they often keep those a second year at least).

It seems to me that some teams that get the top end players, like Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, Arizona, UCLA, Kansas, etc. do lose players early, but usually they stay 2-3 years, with only an occasional one and done every other year or three.

Actually, as a UCLA fan, I can say that they might be the closest to Kentucky the past couple years, since the Bruins have lost Shabazz and Lavine as one and dones, and Anderson and Adams as 2 years. And they're probably losing Looney after one year, too. The difference being that I think the kids at UCLA can't wait to leave, whereas at Kentucky, they're leaving because they're ready lol.
Add Winslow and Rivers. Plus I was thinking Rodney Hood, but he wasn't really a 1 and done. You are right it's about 8-10 schools that grab most of them (add Ohio State, Texas, Florida), and UCLA has easily led the pack in How the heck is that guy projected to go in the lottery? players recently.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #188
britrock88
Pro Starter

K seems to be leading Duke further in the direction of 1-and-dones with time. They've got 2 or 3 this year, and will presumably replace those with a couple next year (to shore up what's only a 7- or 8-man rotation now.)
Old 01-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #189
Izulde
Head Coach

Unbelievable UNLV is doing this poorly in conference play so far. So frustrating.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 PM   #190
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Unbelievable UNLV is doing this poorly in conference play so far. So frustrating.

Figured I'd look at KenPom to see how thing are...

- that Arizona win is a happy outlier, as UNLV's other shots at Pac-12 teams were not only losses, but poor results (20-plus point losses).
- the UNR loss at home is disappointing, understandably. But other than that, you're losing close games to good teams on the road and took care of SJSU at home like you're supposed to.
- in conference, your FG defense is good... just need to give the ball away less often (21+% is last in the conference) and do a little better on the defensive glass (only 64% DRb rate thus far).

After the trip to San Diego this weekend, you're favored in 7 out of 8. So there's definitely an opportunity for the season to turn around.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #191
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Nice bounce-back win for Texas. They played like crap the last two games against OU and Okie State, and had a dangerous West Virginia team come into town. The Longhorns handled the WVU press, and held the Mountaineers to only 24% from the field in a 77-50 win.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #192
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Nice bounce-back win for Texas. They played like crap the last two games against OU and Okie State, and had a dangerous West Virginia team come into town. The Longhorns handled the WVU press, and held the Mountaineers to only 24% from the field in a 77-50 win.

Every year it seems Texas is just an awful matchup for WVU. This year is no different and combine that with terrible play on the road and you get this result.

Texas looked really good today. The most talented team in the league IMO. Hopefully we can get revenge in Morgantown next month.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #193
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

UW picks up a really nice win over Oregon after trailing by 10 at the half. Amazing what a difference Upshaw makes. Oregon hit 6 threes in a row at one point, you knew they wouldn't keep that up, but our guys didn't panic and used great defense in the second half to get a lot of transition buckets.

Brings us to 13-4. 2-3 with Colorado next, a game we chould win. I think if we get to 20 wins we likely get a bid, especially with some decent OOC wins. After Colorado we go to Utah then back to back home games with a chance at payback to Stanford and Cal. We get a break only playing Arizona once, at home, if we can with that one it will be a nice boost. RPI is 47, would like it to be higher, that loss to Stony Brook is a killer.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #194
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

So the early defections to the NBA along with season ending injuries to 2 of the players have Syracuse looking at their worst season in a decade, at least, maybe since Jim Boeheim took over. Which in some ways is good, since the NCAA violation rumor mill say that we are getting a one year suspension from the tournament which I hear we successfully negotiated to have it be this year.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #195
Butter
Coordinator

Good: Dayton reappears in the Top 25, ranked at #22 in both AP and Coaches' polls. Yay!

However, Dayton probably should have won all of the last 8 games they've played, even with only the 7 scholarship players... so 15-2 and 5-0 in the conference was expected... Ole Miss being the only real challenge.

Bad: Dayton plays @ Davidson tomorrow night, a team that plays a similar style to the Flyers, only with much worse defense so far. However, it being at Davidson and Dayton now being ranked, I fully expect our third L of the season.

If Dayton pulls it out, they may well end up giving VCU a run for the top of the league this year. Both stand at 5-0 in the A10 right now.

Last edited by Butter : 01-19-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #196
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Good: Dayton reappears in the Top 25, ranked at #22 in both AP and Coaches' polls. Yay!

However, Dayton probably should have won all of the last 8 games they've played, even with only the 7 scholarship players... so 15-2 and 5-0 in the conference was expected... Ole Miss being the only real challenge.

Bad: Dayton plays @ Davidson tomorrow night, a team that plays a similar style to the Flyers, only with much worse defense so far. However, it being at Davidson and Dayton now being ranked, I fully expect our third L of the season.

If Dayton pulls it out, they may well end up giving VCU a run for the top of the league this year. Both stand at 5-0 in the A10 right now.

KenPom gives you a 40% chance to win @ Davidson. Considering UD's done what they have with 7 scholarship guys, it's all the more impressive. I'll be rooting for 3 A-10 teams in the tourney, for sure.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #197
cartman
Death Herald

Just turned on the Texas-TCU game, and I forgot that TCU was playing at a high school arena while their normal home court is being refurbished.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #198
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa-Wiscy tonight at 8 cst.
Iowa needs to get Bucky in foul trouble. Buckys bench isnt great. If we can do that and avoid a long streak of crap play, there is a chance to win.

Battle for 1st place in the B1G. Cant wait.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #199
tarcone
Coordinator

And there are 3 Iowa teams ranked in the top 25. ISU #9, UNI #20 and Iowa #25.
Quality basketball in the state of Iowa.

Fun fact: New York, Florida, Illinois and California have a combined zero Top 25 teams. Population of those 4 states = 90 million. Iowa's population = 3 million.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #200
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa-Wiscy tonight at 8 cst.
Iowa needs to get Bucky in foul trouble. Buckys bench isnt great. If we can do that and avoid a long streak of crap play, there is a chance to win.

Battle for 1st place in the B1G. Cant wait.

Pretty good game!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote