Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #151
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
hes talking about 1440p technology (most likely). Which will only be relevant if people start buying 1440p TVs, which won't happen by 2010. I think 2010 is about the time where the vast majority of homes will have 720p/1080p TVs. If they try to drop something that will require people to buy new TVs, it will fail miserably.

Yeah, I was reading about it on a HD forum. Do you really think only people with 1080p are adopting Blu-Ray? I think non 1440p owners will adopt the next technology as well and that will eat into Blu-Ray's gains. My only point was that Sony gave up a considerable share and perhaps completely gave up their market lead in the video game console unnecessarily as the PS3 didn't need to be the vehicle of Blu Ray to win that war and winning that war may not have long term gains. Therefore, this may have been a stupid move. It's a speculative statement on my part obviously. Time will tell how true it is.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #152
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I will likely (eventually) adopt Blu-Ray because even at 768p I will see noticeable gains over standard DVD's (480p I believe?). I would never bother with 1440p media because there would be no discernable difference for me.

Besides, 1440p is stupid. For the average consumer it is generally marginal as to whether they will notice the difference between 1080p over 720p at normal viewing distances. To notice 1440p you'd need to sit like 3 feet from your TV or buy an 80" screen.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #153
Daimyo
College Starter

1440p? That's won't sell... I imagine 4k is the next step for HDM.

Last edited by Daimyo : 02-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #154
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yeah, I was reading about it on a HD forum. Do you really think only people with 1080p are adopting Blu-Ray? I think non 1440p owners will adopt the next technology as well and that will eat into Blu-Ray's gains. My only point was that Sony gave up a considerable share and perhaps completely gave up their market lead in the video game console unnecessarily as the PS3 didn't need to be the vehicle of Blu Ray to win that war and winning that war may not have long term gains. Therefore, this may have been a stupid move. It's a speculative statement on my part obviously. Time will tell how true it is.

Price wasn't the only reason the PS3 had such a sluggish beginning sales-wise. There weren't any system selling games. XBox 360 had Gears of War (November 06, right when PS3 and Wii launched) and Halo 3. Wii had Wii Sports (the biggest system seller in recent memory) plus Zelda: Twilight Princess (got a lot the Nintendo fans on board at launch) and then Super Mario Galaxy late in 07. Sony didn't have the games to compete and they won't until later this year. They should have made God of War 2 for the PS3 instead of the PS2 but even that might not have been enough.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #155
MJ4H
Coordinator

Less than 2 weeks until SMASH now. Game of the forever.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #156
SackAttack
Head Coach

My PS3 and 360 output at 720p, and I'm more than happy with that as an improvement over 480i. I can't imagine I'll hit a point anytime soon where I even need 1080p (never mind that the games mostly don't output at that resolution yet).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #157
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm satisfied with 480p??????????
Old 02-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #158
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think 4k by 2k is still a pretty far ways off, I'd imagine they will just forgo 1440p entirely.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #159
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Who cares how far off any of these resolutions are? At the base level, the human eye can only perceive so much detail at a given distance. If you have a 42" TV and sit more than 7-8 feet away, you can likely not even see the difference between 720p and 1080p, let alone 4000p or whatever the hell comes down the pipe.

Here is a chart showing the screen size/viewing distance necessary to notice the benefits of various resolutions: http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #160
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Besides, 1440p is stupid. For the average consumer it is generally marginal as to whether they will notice the difference between 1080p over 720p at normal viewing distances. To notice 1440p you'd need to sit like 3 feet from your TV or buy an 80" screen.

Which is exactly my point. The only way they'll replace blu-ray is if

1) theres a drastic change in display technology. Nobody with a 50" TV is going to see any difference between 1080p and above. Either we need 200" TVs, or some other display format for it to matter.

2)something much more convenient/etc comes along. I don't think it will be downloads because of bandwith/ownership issues.

My bet is on something solid state. Like movies on a flash card. We've got 32gb flash cards right now, IIRC.

Last edited by Synovia : 02-28-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #161
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Here is a chart showing the screen size/viewing distance necessary to notice the benefits of various resolutions: http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
I love how people on various forums keep posting this same chart. ITS FROM A BLOG POST.

It doesn't reference any studies, etc. I agree with it in general, but its not by any means authoritive.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #162
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
I love how people on various forums keep posting this same chart. ITS FROM A BLOG POST.

It doesn't reference any studies, etc. I agree with it in general, but its not by any means authoritive.

People reference it because it is reasonably accurate (in as much as it needs to be to serve its purpose). Have studies been shown to prove the exact data to the inch? No. But sometimes a bit of common sense can be used, especially when discussing the relatively unimportant topic of high-def media resolution.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #163
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Couple of new MGS news notes........

MSG4 producer says that, due to lack of space on the 50GB Blu-ray disc, MGS4 will not have dual audio (English and Japanese). English will be on the PAL and North American versions, while Japanese will be on the Japan version. The size of the game (reportedly just over 40 GB) also likely puts to rest the rumors of any MGS4 port to the 360.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-117280.aspx?CT=1

Quote:
In the latest Kojima Productions Report podcast, producer Ryan Payton announces that MGS4 won't have voice over tracks for other languages. Says Payton:

Unfortunately because of disc space, we don't have the space to include other languages, other voice over files for the respective versions. So the Japanese version's not gonna have English VO, and the North American and European versions won't have Japanese VO.

Maps for Metal Gear Solid Online available to view..........

http://www.konami.jp/mgo/us/how.html
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #164
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Whoops! One of the SCEE heads lets it slip out that the PS3 will have in-game messaging in the 2.4 firmware release. Pretty sure that wasn't supposed to come out.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29792/Sony...as-PS3-hits-1m
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #165
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Couple of new MGS news notes........

MSG4 producer says that, due to lack of space on the 50GB Blu-ray disc, MGS4 will not have dual audio (English and Japanese). English will be on the PAL and North American versions, while Japanese will be on the Japan version. The size of the game (reportedly just over 40 GB) also likely puts to rest the rumors of any MGS4 port to the 360.

I don't really care one way or the other since I think we will have a PS3 sometime before 2009, but why would that put to rest any rumors of a 360 version? Last time I checked a game can be on more then one disk, and games can be tweaked for a different console........
Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #166
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I don't really care one way or the other since I think we will have a PS3 sometime before 2009, but why would that put to rest any rumors of a 360 version? Last time I checked a game can be on more then one disk, and games can be tweaked for a different console........

Exactly. Lost Odyssey is on 4 discs. No reason they couldn't put MGS4 on 4 discs if they wanted to do so.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #167
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

The MGS creator has constantly harped on the fact that he doesn't like to compress data on his games. He's actually quoted today as being irritated that the 50GB Blu-ray disc isn't even big enough for the MGS4 game. He actually had to compress data for this game even on the PS3. If he were to put out a 360 version, he would have to do quite a bit of compression and would have to put the game on multiple discs, which is something he's repeatedly said he doesn't want to do. Reportedly, he's pushing Sony to hurry up with the 100GB Blu-ray disc as quickly as possible.

Here's his translated quotes from the interview released yesterday............

Quote:
MGS4: Kojima says "50GB BD Not Enough For MGS4"

In an exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear Solid series, has made complains about 50GB BD not been sufficient. The Metal Gear Solid producer considers the Blu Ray disc too small and that they had to make compromises in order to put the game on the 50GB BD. According to Hideo, the programmers had to compress some parts in the game to save disc space.

Quote:
Kojima : I am not satisfied with the quality yet, however...there isn't enough space.

Interviewer: Not enough space..on..Blu-ray..?

Kojima: Yes.(laughs). Not enough space.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #168
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Exactly. Lost Odyssey is on 4 discs. No reason they couldn't put MGS4 on 4 discs if they wanted to do so.

Lost Odyssey about half the data contained in MGS4. You're looking at 7-8 discs at a minimum if MGS4 was ported over to the 360. Possible? Yes. Possible with Kojima in charge? Very doubtful.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #169
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Half dumb question maybe. What does a 360 disk hold? 360 is just plain DVD correct? I am pretty sure I remember that HD-DVDs hold 20 GB, so it has to be plain DVD I assume.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #170
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Half dumb question maybe. What does a 360 disk hold? 360 is just plain DVD correct? I am pretty sure I remember that HD-DVDs hold 20 GB, so it has to be plain DVD I assume.

4.7GB is the storage for the standard DVD used by the 360. BR discs are currently available in 25GB & 50GB and they are developing a 100GB disc.

I believe that they were actually in the process of creating a 50 GB HD-DVD, but that was abandoned with the death of that format.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #171
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Word.

Microsoft needs to work to fix that problem. Putting out a Blu-ray player to attach doesn't do squat because that would be only for movies I guess.

The future is with the PS3 unless Microsoft makes some upgrades. We don't need a 720, but a 540 would be nice. Although I loved Mass Effect in every way so I guess the 360 can still work for a while.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #172
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Word.

Microsoft needs to work to fix that problem. Putting out a Blu-ray player to attach doesn't do squat because that would be only for movies I guess.

The future is with the PS3 unless Microsoft makes some upgrades. We don't need a 720, but a 540 would be nice. Although I loved Mass Effect in every way so I guess the 360 can still work for a while.

Think about this for a second. What if the 360 comes out one year before the PS3 WITH a HD-DVD built in? If that happens, I think HD-DVD wins the format war and Metal Gear Solid/Final Fantasy are 360 bound at a minimum and maybe even 360 exclusives.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #173
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Think about this for a second. What if the 360 comes out one year before the PS3 WITH a HD-DVD built in? If that happens, I think HD-DVD wins the format war and Metal Gear Solid/Final Fantasy are 360 bound at a minimum and maybe even 360 exclusives.

At this point it is hard to see why they DIDN'T make it full HD-DVD, games included. Although I would think the price to do so at that time would have been as bad or worse then putting the Blu-ray in the PS3 at launch. The PS3 seems to have weathered the storm of the high price, but it is possible it would have been harder for the 360 to do the same since the XBox didn't provide the number up people wanting to upgrade as the PS2 did/does.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
At this point it is hard to see why they DIDN'T make it full HD-DVD, games included. Although I would think the price to do so at that time would have been as bad or worse then putting the Blu-ray in the PS3 at launch. The PS3 seems to have weathered the storm of the high price, but it is possible it would have been harder for the 360 to do the same since the XBox didn't provide the number up people wanting to upgrade as the PS2 did/does.

Even with slower sales, they would have had a huge jump-start on HD media player sales, which would have negated the BR advantage that Sony is currently using to push more units of late.

On the other hand, if you have a Xbox 360 with HD-DVD that sells for a premium price and had RROD issues, does it scare away consumers?

It's interesting to discuss, but we'll likely never know for sure.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #175
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

All I know for sure is I will be watching the game releases over the next year and if the PS3 has some games calling to me then I will try to get one. The wife likes the blu-ray player so that makes it an easier sell.

The funny thing is we actually had one for a month. Never opened it and returned it. Kind of sucks now that they have some games I would play if I had it.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
All I know for sure is I will be watching the game releases over the next year and if the PS3 has some games calling to me then I will try to get one. The wife likes the blu-ray player so that makes it an easier sell.

My wife has been begging me to get Rock Band. Evidently, she has a friend who regularly plays it along with her husband. They want to get a full band together evidently. I'm sure I'll relent at some point.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #177
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
My wife has been begging me to get Rock Band. Evidently, she has a friend who regularly plays it along with her husband. They want to get a full band together evidently. I'm sure I'll relent at some point.

Evidently.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #178
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I believe (though may be wrong) that that gives you two red lights, not three. That was one of the first Qs I was asked when I phoned Microsoft up re: my RRoD.
Actually, just noticed this again on my dev kit at work - if you remove the video plug it gives you a full 4 bars of flashing red.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #179
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
4.7GB is the storage for the standard DVD used by the 360. BR discs are currently available in 25GB & 50GB and they are developing a 100GB disc.

I believe that they were actually in the process of creating a 50 GB HD-DVD, but that was abandoned with the death of that format.

360 can't play dual layer DVDs?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #180
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
4.7GB is the storage for the standard DVD used by the 360.

I'm fairly sure the 360 uses standard dual layer 8.5GB DVDs.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 AM   #181
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
I'm fairly sure the 360 uses standard dual layer 8.5GB DVDs.

Yup.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #182
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Evidently.

LOL.......I need more sleep, evidently.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #183
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This article is speculative, but interesting and does make some business sense from EA's perspective. It discusses the possibility of EA using the Take-Two purchase as a springboard to releasing a console in the future:

http://www.videogamer.com/features/a...-2008-327.html
Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #184
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If EA did it, the thing would probably sell enough to at least carve out a slice of the market similar to that of the Xbox1 or Gamecube with all those would-be exclusives, and that's assuming they are going against three competitors.

It would get even more interesting if they teamed up with Microsoft for their next console.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #185
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
This article is speculative, but interesting and does make some business sense from EA's perspective. It discusses the possibility of EA using the Take-Two purchase as a springboard to releasing a console in the future:

http://www.videogamer.com/features/a...-2008-327.html

Ping: Trip Hawkins.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #186
Groundhog
Coordinator

Holy crap. Just to think of all the problems an EA console would have gives me an aneurysm.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #187
wade moore
lolzcat

I have to imagine that if EA made a console and made the games exclusive it would put the exclusive licenses in danger, right? Maybe not the current one but the chance to renew - I'm pretty sure I remember reading that at least the NFL license was very focused on the games staying multi-platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #188
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Recent rumor/info article. Some stuff about Gears of War and Bioshock sequels. Also mentions that Sony is pursuing a big developer. Given that Take Two has mentioned more than one suitor is interested, I wouldn't be shocked if Sony was also involved.

http://www.gameguru.in/features/2008...101-and-facts/
Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #189
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sony buying Take-Two would seem to be very smart if they could keep GTA on board. Make that PS exclusive would be a huge coup. Of course, the sports games would be a nice add-on. I'd buy a PS3 just for future additions of College Hoops and NBA 2k if they were only available on the PS3.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #190
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Sony buying Take-Two would seem to be very smart if they could keep GTA on board. Make that PS exclusive would be a huge coup. Of course, the sports games would be a nice add-on. I'd buy a PS3 just for future additions of College Hoops and NBA 2k if they were only available on the PS3.
Yeah - I'd have to think long and hard about this.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #191
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Good point. I forgot about the sports franchises with all of the GTA talk. There had been rumors even before the EA announcement that Sony was talking with Rockstar about a possible exclusive agreement with future GTA games. My guess is that the EA public letter sent those talks into overdrive, including a possible buy-out of the entire company.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #192
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Recent rumor/info article. Some stuff about Gears of War and Bioshock sequels. Also mentions that Sony is pursuing a big developer. Given that Take Two has mentioned more than one suitor is interested, I wouldn't be shocked if Sony was also involved.

http://www.gameguru.in/features/2008...101-and-facts/

I hope this is true. Sony could scrap their nba game and the nba2k series would live on.

The only downside would be mlb2kX. I love The Show but if this meant the end of MLB 2k then we have a Madden situation with no competition. Not saying the SCEA developers would intentionally let things slide but when nobody is pushing you the possibility exists. Also what about baseball on the other consoles?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #193
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I hope this is true. Sony could scrap their nba game and the nba2k series would live on.

The only downside would be mlb2kX. I love The Show but if this meant the end of MLB 2k then we have a Madden situation with no competition. Not saying the SCEA developers would intentionally let things slide but when nobody is pushing you the possibility exists. Also what about baseball on the other consoles?

2K also has MLB: Power Pros. Konami has a baseball game that's released in Japan every year on the PS3 (Pro Baseball Spirits) which is actually considered to be even better than The Show which could come to the States. So there are still competitors. As you said, I think the deal would be more to secure GTA than to eliminate any sports competition. In addition, I think the idea of a new 2K football game with improved franchise mode may have legs if Sony's dollars could support that option.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #194
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I'd buy a PS3 just for future additions of College Hoops and NBA 2k if they were only available on the PS3.
+1
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #195
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting 360 news. Huxley, a MMOFPS for the 360 and PC, has had the 360 version delayed into 2009. PC version should be available in 2008........

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/856/856931p1.html

Purported 'senior insider' in Europe says that all 360 units in Europe will see a 50 Euro price drop next week. Could this be the start of another price war or is MS simply adjusting the price due to the dropping dollar exchange rate as they did a couple of weeks back in Canada................

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/0...onfirms-truth/

Quote:
Speaking under condition of strict anonymity, a senior UK source has confirmed to videogaming247 that Microsoft is readying a European price cut for Xbox 360, saying that NDAs are in place to prevent privy parties speaking on the record.

According to this story, the price is going to be cut by €50 across all SKUs on March 14. Microsoft has issued a “no comment” to the news, said the original piece.

The drop would mean the Core pack would be cheaper than a Wii in Europe at approximately £150. Speaking on the record, however, UK retailers are claiming they know nothing of the move.

“We’ve not received any call about it ourselves,” said an HMV spokesperson. “We haven’t heard anything at all,” said a member of the WHSmiths buying team. Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #196
MJ4H
Coordinator

IGN Review of NA version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl is up. There is a video review which I'm about to watch. The numeric review is 9.5 out of 10. The release of this game nearly coincides with Spring Break. Yeah. See you guys later. Maybe.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/856/856580p1.html
Old 03-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #197
MJ4H
Coordinator

Dola

Yeah, after watching the video review, I'm so going to be fired from my job for calling in sick until May to play Brawl. I can't describe how awesome this game is going to be.

FOFC BRAWL LEAGUE SIGN-UPS STARTING NOW
Old 03-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #198
wade moore
lolzcat

I'll have to watch this when I get home - what's the release date?

Quote:
Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #199
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I remember playing mortal combat, that looks like the same thing but with Mario. I can see why I haven't become a Wiitard yet.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #200
Kodos
Resident Alien

Is this a good time to mention that I've never understood the appeal of Mario games?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote