Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #151
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I give up. This is a complete waste of my time.

I understand your pain, but there is no discussing issues with

Quote:
the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlahotep.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 12-10-2003 at 03:39 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:03 PM   #152
Taur
High School Varsity

Can someone tell me Why they decided to go with a "Rise of the machine" cylon?

What was wrong with the orginal cylon storyline? I thought it was the original "founders of the universe" story...see Babylon5 or StarGate for series that have recycled this BSG idea.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #153
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonegavel
I understand your pain, but there is no discussing issues with

Not when you aren't trying to discuss there isn't.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:06 PM   #154
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I give up. This is a complete waste of my time.

Word.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:33 PM   #155
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Now that that's done ...

I give the miniseries a B+. for the first 3 1/2 hours or so. I had some quibbles here and there, but nothing to start a holy war over. It had its good and bad moments, but overall I liked it. In fact, if they made it into a series, I'd watch.

However, what the hell was up with the ending? There were any number of things that didn't make sense, but I guess my biggest complaint is that it seemed like the show wasn't over. So they are headed out into space for Earth, even though apparently Earth doesn't exist. WHAT?!?!

I feel like I've read the first 30 chapters of a 40 chapter book, only to find that the author didn't write the last 10 chapters. I'm not asking for an everyone lives happily everafter ending, just some type of resolution.

The original series 3-hour pilot was a self-contain story with a beginning, middle and end. The Cylons struck, the humans ran, the humans launched a counterattack and won. The end. You knew the story wasn't over, but it seemed like that part of the story was over.

In essence, it felt to me like they got to the 3:45 mark and realized, "Oh, shit, we only have 15 minutes left. Screw it, make Boomer a Cylon, say Earth doesn't exist and roll credits. That ought to hold the little SOBs."
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:21 PM   #156
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

kcchief19 -

You articulated very well what I was feeling last night - for about an hour after it ended I was thinking I'd tune in on Wednesday night to catch the ending. At which point I belatedly realized that I'd seen the ending. And I didn't like it.

Of course, they're trying to ensure that those of us who enjoyed it will tune in when SciFi picks it up as a regular series.

Speaking of which, does anyboy know how BSG did in the ratings?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:32 AM   #157
Richards
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Fonzie
kcchief19 -

Speaking of which, does anyboy know how BSG did in the ratings?

I am curious to this too. I'd imagine it did (relatively) well, even though the ratings don't tell the whole story...a large chunk of the viewership was probably diehards who predertermined to hate it like their whining leader Richard Hatch, but they still watched, contributing to it's rating.

I guess I'll never understand people who want remakes to be exact faithful copies of the original, just with better technology.

What incentive does this provide to a director, or cast for that matter?

If you want the better technology, just re-master the original with CGI instead of cheesy models or whatever it used.

Again, my viewpoint is from someone who never saw the original, and immensely enjoyed the miniseries.

I also don't see the sense in picking apart a scifi movie for the things that "don't make sense." you could do this all day. Inevitable, certain realism has to be sacrificed for the plot.

You could go on all day, the BG has think enough "plating" to survive a point blank hydrogen bomb with minimal damage which means it must be a heavy mother, but it's pretty nimble and can jump to lightspeed instantly. That's one hell of a motor.
Don't stand next to that thing.

Also, why did cylons use nukes first, but not when BG was taking direct hits outside the ion storm....because the story has to go on.

Any scifi series is guilty of this, even those that some people put on a pedastel. I love TNG, but one episode provides enought picking material to last a long time, especially time-travel topics, et al.

P.S. Considering that even though I'm very patient, I have finally given up on Enterprise. Curious, does anyone here enjoy Andromeda? Been watching it since late last season, and like it so far. They don't seem to shy away from complex plots. I like that. On the other hand, enterprise seems to have resigned itself to robotic rubber stamp plots, "going where many writers have gone before."
Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:37 AM   #158
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I watched the show to be entertained, I was entertained. I think this set a nice groundwork for hopefully what is to come.

My only complaint if you want to call it that is that I think there should be more robot cylons and less human cylons. I pictured the human cylons as special made for spy missions and stuff, but there were a lot of them.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:04 AM   #159
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Richards,

Have you ever read the book The Physics of Star Trek?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 AM   #160
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I got it. This would have satisfied everyone:

Adama should have been a talking patrol car that lived at 1313 Mockingbird lane, Caprica City. By day he was a lawyer and by night he was an encylopedia salesman. The Galactica is the name of a hotdog stand down the street where he bought spare tires for bicycles-built-for-two.

The Cylons were actually street signs that began taunting him with their "STOP" this and "Yield" that. He was fed up and spray painted "LORDS of COBOL RULE! ABEND ABEND" on them.

After which, he hooks up with zues and apollo (dogs from Magnum P.I.) and goes on a wild crime spree (checking pay phones for change) that nets him $1.35 for his efforts.

He marries this woman who is actually a witch and when she twitches her nose, stuff happens, and they lived happily ever after.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:31 PM   #161
Richards
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Richards,

Have you ever read the book The Physics of Star Trek?

No, but it sounds very entertaining, just by the title. What is the tone of the book?
Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:11 PM   #162
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Richards
No, but it sounds very entertaining, just by the title. What is the tone of the book?

Actually, it's pretty straightforward. They take a Star Trek technological concept and try to explain it with real world science. Your post about the Galactica taking a nuke and it's ability to withstand such a hit made me think you may enjoy the book. Check it out next time you're at the bookstore!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 PM   #163
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - The second night of the Sci Fi Channel miniseries "Battlestar Galactica" rocketed past the first Tuesday to deliver the cable channel's highest-rated program of the year.

"Galactica," starring Edward James Olmos (news), gathered 4.5 million total viewers, surpassing the 3.9 million who watched Monday's opening of the four-hour miniseries. Tuesday's tally gave Sci Fi not only enough ratings power to blast past the WB Network and UPN in primetime but provided the third-highest-ranked program in the station's history.

With an average of 4.2 million viewers, "Galactica" finished behind "Steven Spielberg (news) Presents Taken" (5 million) and "Frank Herbert's Dune" (4.6 million) but bettered the more recent sequel, "Children of Dune" (2.7 million).

I don't know if that is better than Sci Fi expected, but it seems strong enough to take a gamble on as a series. If they do, then the parallels with the original series will continue, since the orginal was concepted as a miniseries and was promoted to a full-season series when ABC saw how good it was.

Of course, that's also why the original series struggled creatively at times. If they do this as a series, I assume they will take some more time to develop it. I wonder if the whole cast is signed up for a series or if there might be some defections. I kind of got used to that cast, so I'd hate to see it broken it up.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 09:25 PM   #164
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Quote:
Originally posted by kcchief19
I wonder if the whole cast is signed up for a series or if there might be some defections. I kind of got used to that cast, so I'd hate to see it broken it up.

I read a recent chat with Olmos on the Sci Fi Channel website, and he said that he is under contract for a series so long as the decision is made to have a series before his current contract expires at the end of Dec. If the producers don't exercise their option by then, he's a free agent, so to speak.

I suspect that if the most well-known star is obligated to the series, the other unknown actors must also be.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:07 PM   #165
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Grid Iron
I read a recent chat with Olmos on the Sci Fi Channel website, and he said that he is under contract for a series so long as the decision is made to have a series before his current contract expires at the end of Dec. If the producers don't exercise their option by then, he's a free agent, so to speak.

I suspect that if the most well-known star is obligated to the series, the other unknown actors must also be.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I heard that SciFi doesn't have that much room under the salary cap and may have to cut loose Olmos if they can't renegotiate some of the other actors' contracts to be more "cap friendly." In which case, they may want to scour the free-agent market now to see what would become available if they can't make room for Olmos.

FOFC geektitude at its finest.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #166
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can I just say how wrong all the naysayers were about BSG.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #167
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Seriously.

Were Nylonstuckupmynose-tehp and bad-Example the same guy?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #168
G-Man
High School JV

Exclamation Yes you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I totally agree. This will go down as one of my favorite science fiction TV series of all time. I have seen a "few" since I started watching Star Trek in 1966 .

Though it started out better than it ended (until the last couple of episodes) I still miss it badly. How I miss those Friday Nights on Scifi (not SyFy ) when I could watch three good scifi shows, Stargate-SGI, followed by Stragate-Atlantis and then the culmination of the evening was BSG . Now I have to settle for Stargate-Galaxies and Sanctuary, which are not bad but nothing close to those good old days in 2004-05-06.

What do you think about Caprica, which begins in January-2010?