Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #151
MrBug708
Head Coach

Go Lakers.

The West's #8 seed could very well be playing .600 ball by the time the playoffs come.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #152
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Go Lakers.

The West's #8 seed could very well be playing .600 ball by the time the playoffs come.

I've really enjoyed watching the Lakers this year, even without Bynum. They've been playing a pretty solid, team-orientated brand of bball.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #153
mckerney
Coordinator

Somebody please make Corey Brewer, Kevin McHale, Glen Taylor, Randy Foye, Gerald Green and Marco Jaric all go away.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #154
MikeVic
Head Coach

http://www.nba.com/games/20080127/NYKGSW/boxscore.html

26 rebounds, nice.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #155
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Can someone explain to me how Camby and Chandler get to even All Star snub status, but Kaman doesn't even get mentioned? Do the writers covering the sport even bother to pay any attention to any team that doesn't have a superstar or isn't a lock for the playoffs?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #156
Schmidty
Coordinator

Hey CR, that was a great game, I must admit. Pistons played like crap the second half, and Kobe was......good. I hate saying that.

Oh, and that goaltending at the end was kind of a factor.....
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 PM   #157
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Rondo just punked Nowitzki on the boards. Celts (without Garnett) up by 4 with 10 seconds left.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #158
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Hey CR, that was a great game, I must admit. Pistons played like crap the second half, and Kobe was......good. I hate saying that.

Oh, and that goaltending at the end was kind of a factor.....

Hate to say it, but I actually missed the game. Between running Werewolf and doing stuff around the place, I forgot to turn it on (but then I am a Clippers fan first...). I have been waiting for the UCLA game.

Now I'll have to go find highlights. And, yeah, I think that Bryant character might make a name for himself in this game.

Here's the crappy news for us locally. Local sports talk radio will now be split between more boring Super Bowl hype and talk about this game, meaning absolutely nothing else will be discussed at all and making my hour long commute torturous in the afternoon (in the mornings I am listening to national shows, so I generally only have to listen to the Super Bowl hype).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #159
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Rondo just punked Nowitzki on the boards. Celts (without Garnett) up by 4 with 10 seconds left.

Heh...either way, I get a board for my fantasy team!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #160
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Pau Gasol to the Lakers is a big surprise. This definitely helps them out this season.

hxxp://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/01/gasol-traded-lakers/
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 02-01-2008 at 02:37 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #161
rjolley
College Starter

Big pickup for the Lakers. Shame the Bulls couldn't get it done. Gasol would've been the low post scoring threat they need, even if it meant moving Noccioni(sp?) or Gordon.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #162
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'm actually surprised that the Griz got what they did for him. Two #1s is more than I expected.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #163
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow, big pickup for the Lakers. Kobe must be stoked.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #164
Groundhog
Coordinator

Two #1s is biggish, but they'll probably be mid-to-late picks. I'm surprised they didn't have to give up Odom.

I actually think this is a pretty damn good trade for the Lakers.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #165
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lakers rotation looks to be very scary right now

Bynum
Gasol
Odom
Kobe
Fisher

That's a hell of starting 5
Old 02-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #166
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Two #1s is biggish, but they'll probably be mid-to-late picks. I'm surprised they didn't have to give up Odom.

I actually think this is a pretty damn good trade for the Lakers.

+1

Nice deal for the Lakers
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #167
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
+1

Nice deal for the Lakers

+2. Ugh.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #168
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Bill Walton is so annoying.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #169
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Lakers may be the favorite in the West after this deal. Although, NO looks pretty scary right now too.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #170
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I'm actually surprised that the Griz got what they did for him. Two #1s is more than I expected.

I agree. Definitely a need move by the Lakers and a nice one, but they certainly didn't get him cheap.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #171
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW I like the deal from Memphis's perspective as well. Win-win deal for both teams.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #172
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I liked Kobe's comments about the deal, basically realizing that the onus is now on him to deliver and they were smart to recognize that with San Antonio banged up and no real clear favourite in the West, that this was their time to go ahead and try to make something happen deep into the playoffs. Should be fun to watch down the stretch, especially with Boston doing what they're doing.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #173
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Lakers rotation looks to be very scary right now

Bynum
Gasol
Odom
Kobe
Fisher

That's a hell of starting 5

Not a lot of shots for Odom in that lineup. A lot of Lakers fans at work hope he gets dealt for a more defensively minded SF.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #174
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Not a lot of shots for Odom in that lineup. A lot of Lakers fans at work hope he gets dealt for a more defensively minded SF.

I don't know. Odom gives them a lot of things outside of scoring that not many other SFs can.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Should be fun to watch down the stretch, especially with Boston doing what they're doing.

There would be worse things for the NBA than revisiting the Lakers-Celtics rivalry.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #176
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I thinkt he belief is that Ariza will come in and give them some defensive minutes at the SF. Luke Walton was def. the loser of this deal
Old 02-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #177
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Nice deal for both teams and almost everyone involved.

I think the only individuals getting slighted are Kwame and Crittenton.

But, man, it's put up or shut up time for Kobe. They got him a solid big man to run with... let's see how he responds.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #178
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

I think the lakers might be better than boston, and mabe for years to come. The triangle with bynum, gasol and kobe is better than what phil had in chicago. I know jordan was better but overall I think those three are huge. Of course odom might ruin it all if he doesnt gel with reduced role. Imagine going from a legit 2 to what looks like a 4 in a month.
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 AM   #179
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Nice deal for both teams and almost everyone involved.

I think the only individuals getting slighted are Kwame and Crittenton.

But, man, it's put up or shut up time for Kobe. They got him a solid big man to run with... let's see how he responds.

The Grizzlies now have three decent youngsters at PG with Lowry, Conley, and Crittenton.

As for Kobe, well, he's already had a pretty good big man to run with for most of the year, and the results were pretty darn good.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #180
ace1914
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg22 View Post
I think the lakers might be better than boston.

Uh...no. The Lakers are the 4th best team in the league behind, Boston, Detroit, and Utah even with Gasol.
ace1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #181
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Problem...Lakers had a better record than two of those teams when they had Bynum...when Bynum gets back its pretty easy to say they will be better than all of the last 3 and maybe even Boston.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:24 AM   #182
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1914 View Post
Uh...no. The Lakers are the 4th best team in the league behind, Boston, Detroit, and Utah even with Gasol.

Detroit and Utah!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Hahahahaha.

Good one there.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:57 AM   #183
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I don't know. Odom gives them a lot of things outside of scoring that not many other SFs can.

When he wants to, Odom is a good rebounder and decent defender. The key is "when he wants to". As somebody mentioned, Lamar is probably now the 4th option on offense (When Bynum gets back anyway) on this team. He has shown absolutely nothing in his career to make me believe that he is going to be happy with his reduced role.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to move him now. Try to get a good, young defensive SF you can platoon with Ariza. You don't need much more scoring with Kobe, Gasol and Bynum and all the guys they have coming off the bench.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 AM   #184
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

maybe odom for Corey Brewer, Randy foye, ratliff and a 2nd rounder? Of course im a Minnesota fan. Then again Im tired and that doesnt look good for either team...I basically just am throwing it out there...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #185
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
maybe odom for Corey Brewer, Randy foye, ratliff and a 2nd rounder? Of course im a Minnesota fan. Then again Im tired and that doesnt look good for either team...I basically just am throwing it out there...

I'd do that if I were the Lakers. They need a true backup at the 5, Foye and Brewer too?

I think Lamar will be fine with the fourth option at this point. Hell, he didn't care about going from second to third option this year and it would be nice to see if he gets pissed and shows some fire.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #186
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the lakers might be better than boston, and mabe for years to come. The triangle with bynum, gasol and kobe is better than what phil had in chicago. I know jordan was better but overall I think those three are huge. Of course odom might ruin it all if he doesnt gel with reduced role. Imagine going from a legit 2 to what looks like a 4 in a month.

Are you saying the Lakers are better than the Jordan Bulls? Or just that you think they have better pieces to run the triangle?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #187
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Are you saying the Lakers are better than the Jordan Bulls? Or just that you think they have better pieces to run the triangle?

Just a better triangle.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #188
watravaler
High School JV

Nice deal from Memphis' perspective? I'm beyond pissed, they sold Gasol, an elite big man entering the prime of his career with a reasonable contract, for 1c on the dollar. Those draft picks are crap, as are any late 1st rounders due to the guarenteed contracts, and Crittendon and Gasol will both be lucky to be in the league 5 years from now. I think they could have received a better deal from EVERY other team in the league. These kind of deals are terrible for the sport, but good for Stern, of course...

Last edited by watravaler : 02-02-2008 at 02:01 PM.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #189
korme
Go Reds

Got to like (and be surprised on the whole this year) what the Lakeshow have done.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #190
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
Nice deal from Memphis' perspective? I'm beyond pissed, they sold Gasol, an elite big man entering the prime of his career with a reasonable contract, for 1c on the dollar. Those draft picks are crap, as are any late 1st rounders due to the guarenteed contracts, and Crittendon and Gasol will both be lucky to be in the league 5 years from now. I think they could have received a better deal from EVERY other team in the league. These kind of deals are terrible for the sport, but good for Stern, of course...

Draft picks are what the team needs. How good was Gasol? He was a soft player that averaged 19-21 PPG and 8-9 RPG. The guy whined about not being surrounded by talent when he did nothing to really help the situation. What about defense? He looked like he had a cape and a sword and just let the bulls he was guarding go straight to the basket. He got max money, but he is not a max money player. Let's not forget, they were 3-3 on the year with no Gasol. Additionally, would Gasol let the team become Gay's team? I'm not so sure. Might as well deal a malcontent rather than let him influence the young core they are developing.

Crittendon gives them a good young PG with some potential. Sure, they have two other promising young PGs, but that enables them to trade one of the PGs for some other pieces.

The move that makes no sense for me is dealing Swift for Collins. With Gasol out of the lineup, you could put a team on the floor that could absolutely fly up and down the court.

What the Grizzlies need is a player along the lines of a Shane Battier. I think moving Battier for Gay was the right move, but they need a player like Battier to provide some solid defense and intangibles.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #191
korme
Go Reds

Dude why is no one talking about Chris Webber to the Oakland Warriors?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #192
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Because it's not a particularly important move. Webber is done and won't help GS much, espescially with the style they play, and the Warriors aren't as good as they were last year with Jason Richardson gone, so it's really a non-issue unless you are a GS fan.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #193
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1914 View Post

lol...Utah?

Lemme guess, you have a purple gunrack signed by Karl Malone in the back of your pickup, don't you?

Old 02-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #194
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post

Crittendon is going to add backcourt depth, nothing more unless his development spikes. The two draft picks are going to be in the 20s and offer good value and draft flexibility.

Where this trade is fantastic for the Grizzlies is after this season they have enough room to go after a restricted free agent or 2. Someone like an Iguodala, Monta Ellis or Biedrins. So you can't look at the deal being Kwame, 2 draft picks, and Crittendon. Instead it should be seen as whoever they get with the added cap room, 2 draft picks, and Crittendon.

The Grizzlies were going nowhere with Gasol. That point has been driven into the ground over the past 6.5 seasons. They have a nice combo in Rudy Gay and Mike Conley and it just doesn't makes sense to pay Gasol what he makes over the next couple years as you wait for those two to hit their peak. Now they can add a player either this offseason or next that will be able to compliment those two while they're playing at their peaks.

I'm sure the Grizzlies could have gotten a deal that made them a better team right now, but in the Western Conference exactly what does that get them? 30 wins instead of 25?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #195
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Because it's not a particularly important move. Webber is done and won't help GS much, espescially with the style they play, and the Warriors aren't as good as they were last year with Jason Richardson gone, so it's really a non-issue unless you are a GS fan.

I need to work on my sarcasm
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #196
Icy
Pro Starter

Great news for the Spanish fans like me, as we have now a player in a possible title contender, besides Calderon in Toronto that is more a "maye playoffs" team than a real title contenders.

Let's see what can do Gasol now surrounded by better players as he wanted. It must help Kobe a lot as Gasol is not the usual PF but more of a playmaker who can help Kobe a lot.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #197
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Great news for the Spanish fans like me, as we have now a player in a possible title contender, besides Calderon in Toronto that is more a "maye playoffs" team than a real title contenders.

Let's see what can do Gasol now surrounded by better players as he wanted. It must help Kobe a lot as Gasol is not the usual PF but more of a playmaker who can help Kobe a lot.

The thing about Gasol for Kobe at least is the versatility he brings. He is a good, and maybe better, passer. He can bang down low a little but prefers the high post. For Kobe this is key as the triangle works off of passing and versatility. With Bynum on the low post, Gasol on the high post, a Kobe wherever he wants, this brings a new dimension. Add in Odom who can drive and shoot. Then the 3pt shooters in Walton, Fisher, Farmar, Radmonovic. Energy and hustle in Turiaf. They have a lot versatility and Gasol will really look to open it up more.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #198
MrBug708
Head Coach

Speaking of the Lakers, they cruised today against the District.

Looking at the Shaq trade, they traded Shaq for Gasol, Odom, and Farmar
Old 02-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #199
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Speaking of the Lakers, they cruised today against the District.

Looking at the Shaq trade, they traded Shaq for Gasol, Odom, and Farmar

I was under the impression that somehow the Bynum pick came from that too, either from Miami directly or from the Butler trade.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #200
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was under the impression that somehow the Bynum pick came from that too, either from Miami directly or from the Butler trade.

Nope, the Lakers picking #10 or #11 or whatever it was came from them sucking.