Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #151
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii 7-0 Brennan with 78 yards passing and a td on the first drive.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #152
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

I'm guessing Vegas Vic isn't going to be stopping by Hornfans to talk shit this week. Shame, with the way Texas is sucking it up.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #153
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
Fucking Reggie Smith! Now we know why you play on defense!

All I kept hearing on the local sports talk radio show this week was that there was no way that CU scores more than 13 on OU's defense. This had trap game written all over it and nobody saw it. I felt like I was the only one thinking that in the entire state.

The only thing that can slightly brighten my day now is that K-State can pull off the upset against Texas. *sigh*

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who thought CU would lose by 28 or more:

The 13 point thing is insanity. Pure insanity. I figured it'd be something like 49-20. CU has moved the ball well all year and Hawkins is by far and away the best QB OU has faced. (I know the kid from Tulsa is good, but Hawkins is special, I've been talking about him all year) Heading into Boulder, I figured CU would keep the game fairly close and then collapse toward halftime. (same thing they did against Arizona State.)

It looked like it was playing out just the way I thought. But there was one thing that wasn't happening: OU wasn't moving the ball well on CU. They'd have a big play here and a big play there, but they were struggling to move the ball consistently. When CU stopped turning the ball over in the second half, OU was stuck.

There were some drops by OU. And the overturned replay was huge. I'm still not quite sure how they turned it over. It was a fifty/fifty thing, but still. . . But the story of the game was the CU defense pressuring OU. A few drops don't explain 1-9 on third downs, 230 total yards of offense or 12 first downs for a game. That was about the best CU defense I've ever seen in a big game.

I still think OU throttles Texas next week and I think my friend EaglesFan27 needs to be careful in his celebration. Most every top notch team gets a scare during the year. Sometimes they get that scare and don't survive. I fully expect USC to have one of those scare games this year, no matter how good they are. (and yes, I think they are pretty damned goo)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #154
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think CU can thank FSU for 60 minutes of practice against a good defense to get them ready for OU. CU really didn't do crap against FSU until the last 5 minutes of the game, but they eventually got on a roll.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #155
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

17-14 Rutgers at the Half. Mike Teel is 16-22 for 207 yards.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #156
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I think CU can thank FSU for 60 minutes of practice against a good defense to get them ready for OU. CU really didn't do crap against FSU until the last 5 minutes of the game, but they eventually got on a roll.

Disagree a little here. CU did move the ball on FSU and really dominated TOP in the first half of the game. It didn't help CU that they got penalty after penalty in the red zone and missed two FG in the first half. What should have been a 10-6 halftime score was 10-0.

I'm not saying CU was a juggernaut that game, but they certainly moved the ball well enough to score more than six points.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #157
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody watching the Terps - Rutgers game, did the announcers ever say what was wrong with Steffy (Maryland's QB hurt late in the first half)?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #158
bhlloy
Coordinator

ND looks a lot better this week, but all Charlie gets out of it is another loss and a big-time QB controversy. This team could still win some games with Sharpley at QB, but I don't think the Clausen entourage is going to take a benching very well, freshman or not.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #159
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

The anti-Wolverine crowd is about to have a little fun, courtesy of a freshman transfer named Artis Chambers.

(just a teaser, I'd like to get people visiting Football Frontier more regularly).
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #160
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Disagree a little here. CU did move the ball on FSU and really dominated TOP in the first half of the game. It didn't help CU that they got penalty after penalty in the red zone and missed two FG in the first half. What should have been a 10-6 halftime score was 10-0.

I'm not saying CU was a juggernaut that game, but they certainly moved the ball well enough to score more than six points.

CU had less than 150 yards of offense for the first 53 minutes of the game. They ended up with 280 yards of offense, and about 140 of it was on the final 2 drives of the game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #161
Celeval
Pro Starter

Clemson missed FG #3 on the opening drive of the second half. Their K played a soccer game against Duke last night, and drove from Clemson to GT (3 hours, depending on how fast you drive) at about 1am.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #162
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. View Post
The anti-Wolverine crowd is about to have a little fun, courtesy of a freshman transfer named Artis Chambers.

(just a teaser, I'd like to get people visiting Football Frontier more regularly).

FWIW, Jim, I haven't commented much, but it's required reading for me - I've enjoyed reading this a good bit.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #163
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Clemson missed FG #3 on the opening drive of the second half. Their K played a soccer game against Duke last night, and drove from Clemson to GT (3 hours, depending on how fast you drive) at about 1am.

Did he stop at an ATM in Durham? Because he might need to prove his innocence at some point down the road.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #164
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

21-7 Hawaii 14:00 to go in 2nd quarter.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #165
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
FWIW, Jim, I haven't commented much, but it's required reading for me - I've enjoyed reading this a good bit.

Thanks. It's been a lot of round-the-clock work lately, with the patch and getting all the programs written that support the site.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #166
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
CU had less than 150 yards of offense for the first 53 minutes of the game. They ended up with 280 yards of offense, and about 140 of it was on the final 2 drives of the game.

CU had a 16 play, 8 minute drive in the first quarter of the game. They had another multiple first down drive in the second quarter and actually had more first downs than FSU did in the first half.

Again, I'm not saying CU was going to score 40 on FSU. But the offense wasn't just dominated for most of the game. You could see the talent there. CU should have scored more than 6 points in that game. Everyone around Denver was regretting the missed chances against FSU and saying that it'd be different when the line gelled just a bit better and when CU stopped making stupid mental mistakes at the end of drives.

I don't think any of us figured that'd happen today. (only the most idiotic homer could have thought that) Just as insane as that seems, I think it was pretty egotistical of OU to think they'd hold CU to 13 or under this week. FSU shouldn't have held CU to under 13. OU just came off a game where they gave up 21 to Tulsa and figured CU was that much worse? Wacko.

Last edited by TroyF : 09-29-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #167
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

28-7 Hawaii Brennan is 14-19 211 yards 3 tds , but also threw a pick.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT extends their lead to 10-3 over Clemson with a longish FG. A little more than a minute left 3rd qtr.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #169
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Brennan gets picked after a ball bounces off teammates helmet damn
Old 09-29-2007, 05:16 PM   #170
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
GT extends their lead to 10-3 over Clemson with a longish FG. A little more than a minute left 3rd qtr.

I don't know the TOP stats, but it seems like Clemson's offense is always on the field. That said, the Tech defense hasn't broken - 3rd and 20 now (after their sixth sack), they just used their second timeout of the half, with :42 left in the 3rd quarter. The GT offense has to move the ball next possession - otherwise, I'm terrified the defense is going to slow just enough for those Clemson RBs to make noise in the second half.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #171
Celeval
Pro Starter

...and there's Tommy Bowden picking his nose on national television.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #172
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Texas giving the game away
Old 09-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #173
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Hard to overcome giving up a pick 6 and two kick returns for TDs.

Other than the long opening drive, Texas' D has done a great job of handling the KSU offense. Too bad the other two phases of the game aren't playing as well.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 09-29-2007 at 05:23 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:21 PM   #174
Celeval
Pro Starter

Clemson just missed another long FG.

He's made from 48, and missed from 47, 30, 50, and 48.

Last edited by Celeval : 09-29-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #175
timmynausea
College Starter

We could have about half of the top 10 go down this week. #5 WVU and #3 Oklahoma already lost. #10 Rutgers and #7 Texas are currently trailing heading into the 4th and #6 Cal is tied with #11 Oregon. Great weekend of college football.

Last edited by timmynausea : 09-29-2007 at 05:23 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #176
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Brennan's heisman chances are now over. 3 picks. fortunately Hawaii is in control and dominating.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #177
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

lol. Hawaii pick 6, 2nd of the game. DEFENSE
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #178
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Hawaii has as many points against Idaho in the 1st half as USC did all game. lol
Old 09-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #179
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Come on Rutgers...wake the f*** up.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #180
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Brennan's heisman chances are now over. 3 picks. fortunately Hawaii is in control and dominating.

I wouldn't say that. If he gets 2-3 more TD's, it won't look so bad, especially if he has all kinds of yards. Good timing for a bad game anyways, since Slaton and White might be eliminated now, Ryan had a horrible game, and Brohm is probably out.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #181
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Rutgers i going to need a near-miracle to win at this point. At least it's a non-conference game... *shurg*
Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #182
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

TD & a FG are possible in less than 8 minutes. But they've got to get a move on.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #183
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

41-10 Hawaii at the end of the 1st half
Old 09-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #184
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Rutgers in business with a huge 3rd down conversion.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #185
Celeval
Pro Starter

The Tech offense just ran the ball down the middle of the field on Clemson for pretty much the whole fourth quarter, and will wrap this game up - GT over Clemson 13-3. Clemson held to 34 rushing yards, and #13 goes down today as well.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #186
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quick drive by Rutgers. I don't have the game here, but it looks like MAryland was playing Prevent (you from winning) Defense there.

27-24 Maryland with 4:41 to go

Old 09-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #187
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

top 25 gonna get crazy
Old 09-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #188
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Lattimore seems to be (from the gamecast) doing whatever he wants against this Rutgers D.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #189
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

To me that's either an incomplete pass or a fumble in the Maryland-Rutgers game.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #190
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What happened?
Old 09-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #191
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wild ending here with Oregon-Cal. 22 seconds left. Oregon 1st and goal on the 5 and down 31-24.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-29-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #192
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

What an embarassment.
This is far too many games where I feel like Clemson has losst despite having superior talent.

I guess I am the only one who has noticed all year that Jamees Davis is a beast and runshard while Spiller dances and goes down by arm tackles. Don't get me wrong Spiller is dynamic and has game breaking ability on every play, but the coaches have simply refused to force feed #1. To start the 2nd half they come out with a steady dose of Davis and march down the field, from then on he is forgotten.

I will look it up shortly but I will bet he averaged 5+ypc but did not get more than 12 carries.

Oh well another typical Clemson GT game of weirdness and NCAA 07 like momentum swings. And while Tenuda deserves applause for for a good gameplan and blitzing often, I can't help but wonder if the offensice play callers even watched the game....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #193
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

huh

James Davis 12 carries 60 yards, and a long of 12

5 yards a pop
. And why does he only have 12 carries?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #194
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Big call coming up here in Oregon-Cal. Oregon player running to end zone, stripped of ball at the corner. Ruling on field was a touchback. They are reviewing it.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #195
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

big 4th and 1 coming up in Rutgers-Maryland game. Maryland has the ball on Rutgers half of the field and may go for it, since it would be all but over if they get the 1st.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #196
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Rutgers stuffs Maryland on 4th and 1. Rutgers ball at their own 37ish, 2:34 to go.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #197
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I wouldn't say that. If he gets 2-3 more TD's, it won't look so bad, especially if he has all kinds of yards. Good timing for a bad game anyways, since Slaton and White might be eliminated now, Ryan had a horrible game, and Brohm is probably out.

It would be hard to beat out Woodson though.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #198
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Rutgers stuffs Maryland on 4th and 1. Rutgers ball at their own 37ish, 2:34 to go.

Good! I was worried...and the gamecast takes a bit. So do the Knights try to get in range or are they trying to end this thing? With 2 minutes and no timeouts, I wonder what the plan is...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #199
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What an awful Rutgers penalty.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #200
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Unsportsmanlike conduct? Ugh. What are they trying to do?