Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2006, 08:15 AM   #151
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Anyone else a little disturbed that members of Congress don't have to go through security like everyone else. Do they think they're better than the rest of us?

Oh wait...
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:30 AM   #152
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Got this from a source in the Capitol police, and I see Jonah Goldberg on the Corner's hearing the same thing. Apparently the higher ups in the Capitol Police are encouraging the officer who was struck to NOT file charges, while the rank and file officers are encouraging the officer TO file charges.

Higher ups usually win in cases like this, but I'm guessing there are going to be lots of disgruntled cops on the Hill as a result.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:03 AM   #153
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

She had a news conference scheduled for 11am today. It hasn't happened yet.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:25 AM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
Apparently the higher ups in the Capitol Police are encouraging the officer who was struck to NOT file charges, while the rank and file officers are encouraging the officer TO file charges.

I kinda figured that was the situation, given the mixed signals about whether there were charges & then the statement of support from the union rep, it seemed likely to me that it would go down about this way.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:51 AM   #155
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Anyone else a little disturbed that members of Congress don't have to go through security like everyone else. Do they think they're better than the rest of us?

Oh wait...

I don't have any problem with that. I'm pretty sure that at some point in the process all Congressmen get some sort of security screening by, I don't know, the FBI or the Secret Service or somebody.

I could be wrong, but I've always had that impression.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #156
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bet she skips out of DC before the cops can detain her. Then shows up in some big rally in GA talking about how they were trying to lynch her, or something to that effect.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:12 PM   #157
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
She had a news conference scheduled for 11am today. It hasn't happened yet.

This appears to be the reason why:

hxxp://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/georgia/news-article_wxia.aspx?storyid=78068

Quote:
McKinney Faces Arrest for Scuffle

Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney delayed a scheduled news conference Friday morning as U.S. Capitol police reportedly made plans to seek an arrest warrant against her for striking a police officer.

McKinney, a Democrat, represents Atlanta suburbs that make up one of Georgia's two black-majority districts. She planned to hold a news conference with her lawyer on Friday at 11 a.m., but an aide in her office said a new time and date for the news conference were being arranged.

The six-term congresswoman is said to have hit a Capitol Police officer in the chest earlier this week when he stopped her from entering the building without going through a metal detector. McKinney said she was not wearing a lapel pin identifying her as a House member, but that she did display her Congressional identification badge.

The charges, if they are filed against her, could include felony assault on a police officer or simple assault, which is a misdemeanor. Before police can make an arrest, the U.S. Attorney's office has to approve the warrant and then notify the U.S. Justice Department because the warrant involves a sitting member of Congress.

U.S. Capitol Police said there is surveillance video of the confrontation between the officer and McKinney, but they say the video will not be released. McKinney released a statement saying she deeply regrets the incident, but was rushing to a meeting when the officer failed to recognize her. "Unfortunately, the Police Officer did not recognize me as a Member of Congress and a confrontation ensued," the statement read.

McKinney said that government security officers often fail to recognize her and treat her like a criminal suspect. Her staff members are defending her by distributing a clip of her from the new film “American Blackout.” As McKinney shows the filmmaker around the capitol grounds, a security officer fails to recognize her at first and stops her.

“That’s just typical of the type of treatment I receive. It’s typical. So, I’m not surprised and I’m not offended,” McKinney said in the film. “Okay. Thank you. Some things never change."

The incident has become the topic of much-heated debate on talk radio and for Democrats and Republicans on the Hill. Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi on Thursday labeled it "a mistake, an unfortunate lack of recognition of a member of Congress." She added that the police officer was not at fault. "I would not make a big deal of this," said Pelosi, D-Calif.

Ron Bonjean, spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., responded: "How many officers would have to be punched before it becomes a big deal?"

I got a laugh out of the above bolded and italicized part.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 PM   #158
st.cronin
General Manager

I guess they had a premonition.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #159
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Gah. apparently the press conference will be at 5:30... and Danny Glover will be by her side.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #160
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Gah. apparently the press conference will be at 5:30... and Danny Glover will be by her side.

Yeah, this is fucking absurd. I understand the frustration at some level of apparently being scrutinized more than you feel you deserve because of race (it was real fun as a brown guy with a beard travelling one month after 9/11, what with the "three" random searches. ), but hitting a policeman because of this ? That's horseshit. There seems to be a lot of pressure on the ffficer not to press charges.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-31-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #161
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

He was going to be there at 11, but couldn't find a cab.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #162
Ben E Lou

I heard he was stuck on a toilet.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:05 PM   #163
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Yeah, this is fucking absurd. I understand the frustration at some level of apparently being scrutinized more than you feel you deserve because of race (it was real fun as a brown guy with a beard travelling one month after 9/11, what with the "three" random searches. ), but hitting a policeman because of this ? That's horseshit. There seems to be a lot of pressure on the ffficer not to press charges.

At this point, I say not only charge her, but charge her with the felony, just on general principle.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #164
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I heard he was stuck on a toilet.

I thought he was getting too old for this activist shit.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:13 PM   #165
Ben E Lou

The race card is now in FULL effect. Oh, and, based on this picture, I would not have recognized her at all. The "Cutest Little Communist In Congress" is no longer cute... (from USA Today's web site)

Quote:
Lawyer says McKinney a victim in scuffle WASHINGTON (AP) — A lawyer for Rep. Cynthia McKinney, the Georgia congresswoman who had an altercation with a Capitol Police officer, says she was "just a victim of being in Congress while black."
McKinney awaited word Friday on whether she would be charged for apparently striking the officer after she entered a House office building this week unrecognized and did not stop when asked.
Two law enforcement officials said it was unlikely a warrant would be issued this week. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
Her lawyer, James W. Myart Jr., said, "Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, like thousands of average Americans across this country, is, too, a victim of the excessive use of force by law enforcement officials because of how she looks and the color of her skin."
"Ms. McKinney is just a victim of being in Congress while black," Myart said. "Congresswoman McKinney will be exonerated."
A spokeswoman for U.S. Capitol Police did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
Members of Congress wear identifying lapel pins and routinely are waved into buildings without undergoing security checks. McKinney was not wearing her pin at the time, and the officer apparently did not recognize her, she has said.
"Congresswoman McKinney, in a hurry, was essentially chased and grabbed by the officer," Myart said. "She reacted instinctively in an effort to defend herself."
Several Capitol Police officials have said the officer involved asked McKinney three times to stop. When she did not, he placed a hand on her and she hit him, they said.
In a draft of a statement that McKinney did not release, she said the officer "bodyblocked" her during the incident, and she blamed his failure to recognize her on a recent makeover.
"It is ... a shame that while I conduct the country's business, I have to stop and call the police to tell them that I've changed my hairstyle so that I'm not harassed at work," McKinney said in the draft, which was obtained by WSB-TV of Atlanta and posted on its website.
An official close to McKinney said the statement was a "work product" never intended to be released.
A news conference scheduled for Friday morning was canceled. McKinney had issued a statement late Wednesday saying she regretted the confrontation.
"I know that Capitol Hill Police are securing our safety, and I appreciate the work that they do. I have demonstrated my support for them in the past and I continue to support them now," she said in the statement on her website.
Actor, Danny Glover was expected to appear at an early-evening news conference Friday with McKinney at Howard University.
That gave Republicans material to keep the criticism flowing.
"Rep. McKinney appearing with the star of 'Lethal Weapon'? Not exactly the message you want to be sending," said Ron Bonjean, spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill.
In January, during President Bush's State of the Union address, Capitol Police drew criticism for first kicking anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan out of the House gallery, and then for evicting the wife of Rep. Bill Young, R-Fla.
The department is tasked with protecting the 535 members of Congress and the vast Capitol complex in an atmosphere thick with politics and privilege.
The safety of its members became a sensitive issue after a gunman in 1998 killed two officers outside the office of then-Republican Whip Tom DeLay of Texas.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #166
Ben E Lou

Audio Clip

Click Play to listen to this audio clip

Problems? Download this clip here

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-31-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:18 PM   #167
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

My god. This woman is a train wreck. Calling her a communist is an insult to all communists.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #168
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
My god. This woman is a train wreck. Calling her a communist is an insult to all communists.
The phrase "barking lunatic" comes to mind at the moment...
Old 03-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #169
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

An apt phrase indeed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think I'll just leave it to you to explain why the REAL fun hasn't even started yet.

Who do you think her daddy is going to blame?

Although his current target seems to be "the Gay leadership"
http://sovo.com/2006/3-24/news/localnews/
but my money says he goes back to his former favorite target before this one is over.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #171
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
...or, perhaps it is a little play on her nickname.

Potential good news in the AJC this morning:

Gee, that last section is a shocker. I can't believe ol' Cynthia played the race card.
Quote:
Your search - "cutest little communist in congress" - did not match any documents.
Fascinating link, SkyDog.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #172
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I think I'll just leave it to you to explain why the REAL fun hasn't even started yet.

Who do you think her daddy is going to blame?

Although his current target seems to be "the Gay leadership"
http://sovo.com/2006/3-24/news/localnews/
but my money says he goes back to his former favorite target before this one is over.
Oh, it's obvious who the real culprit in this is.

Jews. J-E-W-S.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #173
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
Fascinating link, SkyDog.
Riggggggggghhhhttt

Web Images Groups News Froogle Local more »
Advanced Search
Preferences

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 146 for "cutest little communist in congress". (0.32 seconds)
Croooow Blog: Once again, the Cutest Little Communist in Congress
Once again, the Cutest Little Communist in Congress. Matthew Continetti examines the aisle-bird and the deafening silence about her from Democrats... ...
tvh.rjwest.com/archives/006490.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Grouchy Old Cripple: Dive Tables No blog
Thanks Rachel for that wonderful new name for 'the cutest little communist in Congress'. And I wish I could take credit for the cutest little communist in ...
www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/000108.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages
Grouchy Old Cripple: Goodbye Cynthia Omigawd! The
... did everything it could to prevent Ms McPiggy's re-election) has had articles about why 'the cutest little communist in Congress' lost in the primary. ...
www.grouchyoldcripple.com/archives/000096.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.grouchyoldcripple.com ]

Cynthia McKinney
She is considered by many to be the "cutest little communist in Congress." In 1992 McKinney was elected as the first Congresswoman from the newly-drawn ...
www.classicdykes.com/cynthia_mckinney.htm - 46k - Cached - Similar pages

Space Politics: A national debate?
In this case the debate AJC would like to see is one where everyone to the right of Cynthia McKinny (aka The Cutest Little Communist in Congress) resigns ...
www.spacepolitics.com/archives/000609.html - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

Comments on 11533 | MetaFilter
That still doesn't answer to the brashness of the "Cutest Little Communist" in Congress (moniker supplied by those on Capitol Hill that work with her ...
www.metafilter.com/mefi/11533 - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Croooow Blog: Discussion on Once again, the Cutest Little ...
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference 'Once again, the Cutest Little Communist in Congress' from Croooow Blog.
www.rjwest.com/scgi-bin/mt/mt-tb.cgi?__mode=view&entry_id=6490 - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

QandO: Take Cynthia McKinney...please!
... again show the good sense they did in 2002 and keep the person Neal Boortz calls "the cutest little communist in Congress" cooling her heals in Atlanta. ...
qando.net/archives/003505.htm - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Space Pragmatism: Oh My Goodness, NASA is going to Nuke Space!
McKinney is known around here as the "cutest little communist in congress". But she also has no power in Congress so its not that big of an issue. ...
spacepragmatism.blogspot.com/2005/05/oh-my-goodness-nasa-is-going-to-nuke.html - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Creative Loafing Atlanta | NEWS & VIEWS | OH MY, WHAT'S A LOSER TO DO?
Boortz -- who adores war as long as someone else fights -- last week was labeling McKinney "the cutest little communist in Congress. ...
atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2004-07-29/fishwrapper.html - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

Result Page:

Next

Sign in
Advanced Image Search
Preferences

Images Showing: Results 1 - 1 of 1 for "cutest little communist in congress". (0.13 seconds)
Tip: Try removing quotes from your search to get more results.

Cynthia McKinney Jim Stawniak
175 x 225 pixels - 10k - jpg
atlanta.creativeloafing.com

Advanced Groups Search
Preferences

Members: Sign in
New users: Join

Groups Alerts

Create a new group

About Google Groups

Searched all groups Results 1 - 10 of 28 for "cutest little communist in congress" (0.13 seconds)
Sorted by relevance Sort by date
Left-wing COMMUNIST LIAR Cynthia McKinney
GEORGIA'S EMBARRASSMENT - CYNTHIA MCKINNEY Georgia Democrat Cynthia McKinney (known
locally as "The cutest little Communist in Congress) is implying that ...
alt.politics.democrats - Apr 16 2002, 7:11 am by Gary Lantz - 51 messages - 18 authors

Jews In USA Govt
... We didn't re-elect her because, other than the fact she is well known in Atlanta
as "the cutest little communist in Congress", she was voting her own agenda ...
alt.peace - Apr 2 2003, 3:42 pm by Jeff Laventure - 15 messages - 8 authors

700,000 March against Bush in London - Bought & Paid For by ...
... Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney That should read EX - Congresswoman Cynthia
McKinney... AKA The cutest little communist in Congress... ...
alt.rush-limbaugh - Feb 23 2003, 8:32 pm by ROBW - 74 messages - 24 authors

Finally some Good News Barr Loses primary.
... with a newbie. McKinney was referred to by a local talk show host as "the
cutest little communist in congress". -- Alex Make the ...
alt.computer.consultants - Aug 21 2002, 8:16 am by alexy - 3 messages - 3 authors

Georgia's Embarassment - Cynthia McKinney
GEORGIA'S EMBARRASMENT - CYNTHIA MCKINNEY Georgia Democrat Cynthia McKinney (known
locally as "The cutest little Communist in Congress) is implying that ...
alt.politics.bush - Apr 13 2002, 1:55 pm by The Frog - 4 messages - 4 authors

Left-wing COMMUNIST LIAR Cynthia McKinney
... carcass." GEORGIA'S EMBARRASSMENT - CYNTHIA MCKINNEY Georgia Democrat Cynthia McKinney
(known locally as "The cutest little Communist in Congress) is implying ...
alt.fan.g-gordon-liddy - Apr 12 2002, 8:36 am by George of the Jungle - 6 messages - 5 authors

STATE OF THE UNION (CLINTON BS) SPEECH
... That would be Georgia Democratic Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, "The Cutest Little
Communist in Congress." Every single year since Clinton became president ...
alt.rush-limbaugh - Jan 27 2000, 6:51 pm by [email protected] - 5 messages - 3 authors

Democrat congresswoman blames GWBush for 9-11...
... com GEORGIA'S EMBARRASMENT – CYNTHIA MCKINNEY Georgia Democrat Cynthia McKinney
(known locally as "The cutest little Communist in Congress) is implying that ...
alt.fan.howard-stern - Apr 12 2002, 1:24 pm by Ernie Logman - 37 messages - 14 authors

Reparations
... Jesse Jackson is down there pressing all the right buttons, as is Georgia Democrat
Cynthia ("The cutest little Communist in Congress") McKinney. ...
misc.survivalism - May 31 2005, 11:06 am by Halcitron - 6 messages - 6 authors

Cynthia the loon and Bush knew......What?
... didn't vote for her. I will vote against her, 'the cutest little communist
in congress', any chance I get. Here is some of what ...
atl.general - May 18 2002, 4:44 pm by Jim Patterson - 20 messages - 11 authors

New! Get the latest messages on "cutest little communist in congress" emailed to you with Google Alerts.

Result Page:

Next

Old 03-31-2006, 04:37 PM   #174
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
An apt phrase indeed.
Hold on a second. What comments make her a 'barking lunatic'? The worst I have seen is that she is insinuating that because she is black she gets harassed more than normal. It's my understanding that there aren't a lot of black, female members of Congress. So seeing a black female trying to skirt security might look a little suspicious at first. And let's face it, judging by her picture, she doesn't look like the typical member of Congress. I don't know if I would call her a 'ghetto slut' like Boortz and SkyDog want to do, but I can see how it may have been due to her race. We all have our prejudices. I haven't read everything in the story though, so I could be wrong.

Still though, that's not to say that she was right in striking the officer. Does a story say where she hit him? Like, was it a slap across the arm when he grabbed her, or a punch in the face?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #175
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Riggggggggghhhhttt
Yes, if you change your prior link to a text search and not an image search you get more results. I suppose it's my fault that you screwed up the link, though
Old 03-31-2006, 04:40 PM   #176
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, i got nothing off of that link earlier.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:40 PM   #177
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Yes, if you change your prior link to a text search and not an image search you get more results. I suppose it's my fault that you screwed up the link, though
I didn't screw up the link. The image search gets a result, too.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #178
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
...or, perhaps it is a little play on her nickname.

Why are you linking to a google image search?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #179
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, it's obvious who the real culprit in this is.

Jews. J-E-W-S.

I wonder ... am I the only person who gets the disturbing visual of Billy in a cheerleader costume when that quote comes up?

{shivers}
Old 03-31-2006, 04:43 PM   #180
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Why are you linking to a google image search?
It's a safe image, from a safe news/commentary magazine (albeit a very liberal one). What's the problem?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:43 PM   #181
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I wonder ... am I the only person who gets the disturbing visual of Billy in a cheerleader costume when that quote comes up?

{shivers}
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP IT!!! STOP!!!

{Shudders}
Old 03-31-2006, 04:44 PM   #182
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's a safe image, from a safe news/commentary magazine (albeit a very liberal one). What's the problem?

Like others have said, there is nothing there. What is the GIS bringing up for you?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #183
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
I must be accessing google through http://www.google.cn/, because I am getting no results from that link, or even when I type it in myself.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #184
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Like others have said, there is nothing there. What is the GIS bringing up for you?
Sign in

Advanced Image Search
Preferences

Images Showing: Results 1 - 1 of 1 for "cutest little communist in congress". (0.13 seconds)
Tip: Try removing quotes from your search to get more results.

Cynthia McKinney Jim Stawniak
175 x 225 pixels - 10k - jpg
atlanta.creativeloafing.com
Old 03-31-2006, 04:48 PM   #185
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Old 03-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #186
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Heh. That's straight-up weird. Could it be possible that I'm getting the Creative Loafing image because I'm in metro Atlanta? No idea... Checking on other computer now...
Old 03-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #187
Ben E Lou

Yeah....it came up on my other machine...checking the Treo now...
Old 03-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #188
cartman
Death Herald

Hmmm, I wonder if this is one of those Google "features" that is based on location?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:54 PM   #189
Ben E Lou

Well, it comes up on my Treo, too, but I just realized that isn't a good test. I use Cingular, and their headquarters is about 8 miles from me.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:08 PM   #190
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
So seeing a black female trying to skirt security might look a little suspicious at first.
Wouldn't seeing anybody trying to skirt security look suspicious or am I misunderstanding you that you are under the impression that white people can skirt security with no suspicion?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:41 PM   #191
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The Capital walls are white, so apparently we blend in better.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #192
stevew
Hall Of Famer

heybrad.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #193
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
Wouldn't seeing anybody trying to skirt security look suspicious or am I misunderstanding you that you are under the impression that white people can skirt security with no suspicion?
I guess what I said can be taken that way, but what I mean is that if you see an old white man trying to get in congress and a younger looking black female that SkyDog pointed out looks like a 'ghetto slut' (not the terminology I would use), many people would naturally be more suspicious of the latter, if only because the former fits the stereotype of a congressman more than the latter. That type of stereotyping has been backed up in countless research studies. I'm not saying that the policeman did act differently for her, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be unheard of for that to be the case. Of course, it's probably impossible to prove either way unless you really knew the guy. In any case, it wouldn't of been appropriate for her to punch the guy, if it was a punch that was thrown.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:59 PM   #194
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I guess what I said can be taken that way, but what I mean is that if you see an old white man trying to get in congress and a younger looking black female that SkyDog pointed out looks like a 'ghetto slut' (not the terminology I would use), many people would naturally be more suspicious of the latter, if only because the former fits the stereotype of a congressman more than the latter. That type of stereotyping has been backed up in countless research studies. I'm not saying that the policeman did act differently for her, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be unheard of for that to be the case. Of course, it's probably impossible to prove either way unless you really knew the guy. In any case, it wouldn't of been appropriate for her to punch the guy, if it was a punch that was thrown.

Are you white, Mr. Bigglesworth? If you are, then lets do an experiment. Go to Washington wearing your best suit and then try to walk through the security barriers. Go ahead. As a matter of fact, just to make it interesting, make sure to carry a gun with you. And a card saying you want to kill the President.

My guess is the police stop anyone they do not recognize when they try to skirt security whether they are young or old, male or female, black, white, blue or green. I do not deny in any way racism exist, but this was not racism. This is a highly inflated ego and very small grasp on reality.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #195
GrantDawg

And for the record, my google search comes up exactly like Skydog's. It must be a regional thing.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:06 PM   #196
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Are you white, Mr. Bigglesworth? If you are, then lets do an experiment. Go to Washington wearing your best suit and then try to walk through the security barriers. Go ahead. As a matter of fact, just to make it interesting, make sure to carry a gun with you. And a card saying you want to kill the President.

Quote:
My guess is the police stop anyone they do not recognize when they try to skirt security whether they are young or old, male or female, black, white, blue or green. I do not deny in any way racism exist, but this was not racism. This is a highly inflated ego and very small grasp on reality.
You go from making a guess in your first statement to being absolutely sure what happened in your last statements. Which is it?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #197
GrantDawg

Quote:

You go from making a guess in your first statement to being absolutely sure what happened in your last statements. Which is it?

Strawman? I wasn't making an arguement, I was suggesting an experiment. Now you do your part and see what happens.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:15 PM   #198
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Strawman? I wasn't making an arguement, I was suggesting an experiment. Now you do your part and see what happens.
You are saying that my argument is that because she is black she got stopped by security, while a white person could walk right through. That's obviously not my argument, which makes your attack a strawman.

I'm saying that because she is a black female, that security MAY have thought she was more of a threat and was handled with more caution and rougher than would be the case for an old white man. I do not know if that is the case, but it is not un-heard of. Like you admit, racism is alive everywhere.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:28 PM   #199
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
You are saying that my argument is that because she is black she got stopped by security, while a white person could walk right through. That's obviously not my argument, which makes your attack a strawman.

I'm saying that because she is a black female, that security MAY have thought she was more of a threat and was handled with more caution and rougher than would be the case for an old white man. I do not know if that is the case, but it is not un-heard of. Like you admit, racism is alive everywhere.

Regardless of all of this, it is no excuse to strike a law enforcement official. Period. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:46 PM   #200
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Regardless of all of this, it is no excuse to strike a law enforcement official. Period. End of story.
I agree, but I'm still not sure what the 'strike' was or if she even knew it was a police officer.

I was just pointing out that you can't say she is a 'barking loon' or whatever for saying her race was a factor, she may be wrong or right.