Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #151
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty impressive that you can scroll your timeline all the way back. I'm looking forward to this even more now too, but with talk of Happiness Boosters, I know that won't play well with a segment of FOFC.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #152
spleen1015
Coordinator

IGN has previewed the 1st stage of Spore evolution, the Cell Stage.

hxxp://pc.ign.com/articles/897/897975p1.html

This is going to be good stuff.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #153
RendeR
Coordinator

Dear god I hope my copy gets here soon =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #154
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Pretty impressive that you can scroll your timeline all the way back. I'm looking forward to this even more now too, but with talk of Happiness Boosters, I know that won't play well with a segment of FOFC.

You never have to use stuff like that, so its good for everyone. I'm not thrilled with how cartoony some of the stuff is in the game, but for the sheer massivenes of the thing its worth putting up with a few silly graphics =)
Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #155
spleen1015
Coordinator

Gamespot preview highlighting the Cell stage through the Tribal stage.

hxxp://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/news.html?sid=6195809&part=rss&tag=gs_previews&subj=6195809
Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #156
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I'm definitely getting this. I've been messing around with the creature creator and while I'm not sure I see where the gameplay is going to come from, I'm going to trust Will to at least entertain me for the money I pay for the game.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #157
spleen1015
Coordinator

Another hands on preview. This one covers the same areas as the Gamespot one, but goes beyond the Tribal stage some.

hxxp://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=212507
Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #158
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

It has gone gold!

investor.ea.com - News Article=

Quote:
EA and Maxis Announce That Spore Has Gone Gold

Long-Anticipated Game from Gaming Luminary, Will Wright, is Complete and in Production; Hits Store Shelves September 7
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 14, 2008--The wait is almost over! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) and Maxis today announced that Spore(TM), the most anticipated video game of the year from the creator of The Sims(TM), has gone gold and will be available for the Mac and PC at retailers September 5 in Europe and September 7 in North America and Asia Pacific. Spore(TM) Creatures for Nintendo DS(TM) and Spore(TM) Origins for mobile phones will also be available globally September 7.

Players who preorder Spore or Spore Galactic Edition from participating retailers will receive a coupon good for $10 off their next purchase of custom merchandise at Official Spore Store: Home: Zazzle.com Gallery. For the ultimate Spore fan, the limited Galactic Edition will contain the 'Making of Spore' DVD, 'How to Build a Better Being' DVD (a 50 minute National Geographic Channel documentary DVD hosted by Spore mastermind, Will Wright), 'The Art of Spore' hardback book, an exclusive Spore poster, and a premium 100-page Galactic Handbook.

"We are so excited to finally get Spore into the hands of fans and players," said Lucy Bradshaw, executive producer of Spore at Maxis. "The Maxis studio has had an absolute blast creating Spore, but the fun is just beginning. The most engaging stories are truly the ones people create themselves, and we can't wait to see how players not only craft and explore the Spore universe, but hear what stories they have to tell as a result."

Spore gives players their own personal universe in a box, allowing fans to create and evolve life, establish tribes, build civilizations, sculpt entire worlds and explore a universe created by other gamers. Spore gives players a wealth of creative tools to customize nearly every aspect of their universe: creatures, vehicles, buildings, and even spaceships. Players can then seamlessly share their creations with the world via the Sporepedia(TM) and explore infinite new galaxies created by other gamers*.

For all the latest Spore news, screens, videos community content, and to try out the trial version of the hugely popular Spore Creature Creator, visit The Official Spore™ and Spore™ Creature Creator Site.
*Internet connection required.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the Company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, cellular handsets and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTS(TM), EA(TM), EA SPORTS Freestyle(TM) and POGO(TM). In fiscal 2008, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $3.67 billion and had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is EA - Action, Fantasy, Sports, and Strategy Videogames. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.
EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS Freestyle and POGO are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S and/or other countries.
Amanda Taggart, 650.628.2729
[email protected]
Bryce Baer, 650.628.5102
[email protected]
Tammy Schachter, 650.628.7223
[email protected]

SOURCE: Electronic Arts Inc.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #159
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Nice. September 7 is a Sunday. I wonder if Gamestop/Best Buy/anywhere else will do a midnight opening for this? It would save me a trip on Sunday afternoon
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #160
RendeR
Coordinator

Any of you guys that generally pre-order stuff, will those arrive earlier than the shelf date or do we get shafted and get it later?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #161
spleen1015
Coordinator

hxxp://www.hookedonspore.com/index.php/2008/08/23/spore-demo-by-jenna-chalmers-at-leipzig-2008.html

Here are 2 videos of a demo that was given at Leipzig last week. This game is going to be a lot of fun.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #162
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I don't know if anyone wants to mess around with a free version of the creature creator (don't know how it relates to the $10 one from a few month's back though). Here's the link to the download: hxxp://www.spore.com/trial

Last edited by Ajaxab : 08-23-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #163
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Any of you guys that generally pre-order stuff, will those arrive earlier than the shelf date or do we get shafted and get it later?
Generally, preorders arrive the same day as the street date. Given that it appears the street date is a Sunday (!), though, I have no clue.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 AM   #164
RainMaker
General Manager

I can't wait for this game. Been a long wait.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #165
RendeR
Coordinator

I canot wait for this, I have been SOOOOO bored lately. I need something to suck me in and ive me horrible video-game-related nightmares.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #166
MikeVic
Head Coach

Whoa, this game is out next week?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #167
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yessir! Whenever I walk into Wal Mart, I'm reminded of that fact.

I'll be there for a midnight release on Saturday night(hopefully)
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #168
Anthony
Banned

i'm gonna trade in a game for this. should be fun. i do want to look more into the game just to see what exactly you do other than eating lesser lifeforms to advance your own race. how exactly do you interact with other species once interstellar travel becomes available?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #169
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
how exactly do you interact with other species once interstellar travel becomes available?

Message boards.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 09-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #170
MikeVic
Head Coach

How are they going to prevent half of the other worlds from being inhabited by penis people?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #171
Anthony
Banned

are all the creatures cartoony looking or can you make some real vicious monster alien looking creatures?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #172
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
How are they going to prevent half of the other worlds from being inhabited by penis people?

You can select which creatures get into your game.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #173
Calis
College Starter

I'm reading that the release date has been broken in Australia and some places in Europe.

Be hearing a lot more impressions about the game soon then.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #174
RendeR
Coordinator

Broken? as in some places released it early?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #175
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Broken? as in some places released it early?

I'm assuming they mean that the stores/distributors decided to release the game before the release date. Often stores or distributors will receive titles of software/movies early, and keep it in the back because of agreements to honor the release date.

From time to time those release dates are broken I assume with the store assuming the benefit from breaking the date with immediate sales will outweigh the future consequences from the publisher for breaking the date.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #176
RendeR
Coordinator

ahh, I don't care about stores, I want my pre-ordered copy in my mailbox NOW =)
Old 09-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #177
spleen1015
Coordinator

I downloaded loaded the game yesterday....

It just doesn't unlock until Sunday.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #178
JeeberD
General Manager

Dammit, why does the game have to come out when my free time is at an all-time low?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #179
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I'm reading that the release date has been broken in Australia and some places in Europe.

Interesting. I guess I'll find out if that's the case when my lunch break comes around in 2 hours.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #180
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Interesting. I guess I'll find out if that's the case when my lunch break comes around in 2 hours.

Let us know how you do, and how it is if you get it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #181
Calis
College Starter

I must be one of the few who is still on the fence concerning this one. It all sounds very neat, but what little I've read on the gameplay makes it sound like it could get old pretty quick. It just depends on if the fun of designing the creatures and such is worth the rest.

The fact that I've also bought 3 other games in the last 4 days means I need an excuse to pass on this one.

That said, I'm sure when Sunday rolls around I'll run out and buy it the first glowing thing I read on here.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #182
RendeR
Coordinator

Realize too Calis that "designing the creatures" isn't just plug n play like the creature creator makes it seem. You have to earn the points and find the diferent parts to change your creature, you don't always have every option available to you, so every game will be entirely different based on what items you find and how fast/slowly you earn points to add the parts you are finding.

Did that make any sense? It sounded good in my head, but typing it makes it sound funy to me.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #183
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think the purpose of the Creature Creator is more for creating creatures that will populate your worlds. You actually build your creature as you play the game.

This is the impression I get from watching videos.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #184
RendeR
Coordinator

Exactly. =) this is why the vast majority of people see a real fantastic game setting, because you may never have the opportunity to build the same creature twice in this game based on game play.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #185
Galaril
Pro Starter

So is it really going to in stores for ourchase here in north america on Sunday? If so I can see this being one game my wife and 6 year old daugther might enjoy even more than me.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #186
Galaril
Pro Starter

By the way, this thread is getting impressions of the game from those who have the game
xplore.com :Spore Community - Spore Gameplay Discussion

and this thread at octopuss overloards.com:
Octopus Overlords • View topic - SPORE Impressions
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #187
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So is it really going to in stores for ourchase here in north america on Sunday? If so I can see this being one game my wife and 6 year old daugther might enjoy even more than me.

Wondering that myself. I had preordered, but then realized the release date was on a Sunday so, not like Gamestop will get them in on a Sunday.... which means that I'll get it on Monday and not play until Tuesday because the Packers play Monday night and short of a holographic game being released that simulates Jennifer Aniston blowing me, I don't miss Packer games.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #188
SackAttack
Head Coach

GameStop will very likely get it in on Friday or Saturday, and hold it until Sunday's release date.

Nintendo *always* does their major releases on a Sunday, and that's how they do it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #189
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah, I bet all retailers already have the game if not, they'll get it in time to sell it on Sunday.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #190
Calis
College Starter

I think you'll find Gamestop and the stores already have them. I'm sure it'll be out on Sunday. Now Gamestop has a tendency to not give a rat's ass about PC games so it might not be there, but Best Buy I'm sure will have them.

I picked up Mercenaries 2 which was released this last Sunday.

Yeah RendeR, I get what you're saying on how you build them up. I'm sure that'll be fun seeing what I can come up with, but I'm wondering if the actual gameplay to get to those points is going to be fun. I'm hoping it is though.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #191
RendeR
Coordinator

I hate waiting
Old 09-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #192
Bonegavel

Quote:
I hate waiting

I don't mind waiting if it is due to the fact that it is in transit. But I don't like when the stuff shows up on Friday and doesn't go on sale until Sunday. That is frickin' stupid. It should go on sale the minute it gets off the delivery truck. Or, let pre-orders get it the moment it gets off the truck. Give me a reason to pre-order.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #193
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I don't mind waiting if it is due to the fact that it is in transit. But I don't like when the stuff shows up on Friday and doesn't go on sale until Sunday. That is frickin' stupid. It should go on sale the minute it gets off the delivery truck. Or, let pre-orders get it the moment it gets off the truck. Give me a reason to pre-order.

This is pretty commonly done with virtually every major game, movie, music, novel, etc release around well the majority of the modern world as I understand it. I am sure there are many reasons why it is done, but I can imagine one of them is to make sure one store doesn't get their delivery early and sell them for a huge premium/profit over other stores.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #194
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
This is pretty commonly done with virtually every major game, movie, music, novel, etc release around well the majority of the modern world as I understand it. I am sure there are many reasons why it is done, but I can imagine one of them is to make sure one store doesn't get their delivery early and sell them for a huge premium/profit over other stores.

Good point, I guess they are at the mercy of UPS/USPS/FEDEX and this puts all the places on even footing since the opening first few days are extremely important to sales.

I'm still scratching my head at what this game is. I've watched every gameplay video (plus their E3 coverage, ad infinitum) and, as I've said before, I'm getting this game but I have a feeling this might be like the Sims Online where it just sucked super ass (and not in a good way). Will Wright is not bullet proof.

As much as I've enjoyed the Creature Creator, the game looks light on depth. And they better not follow the DLC trend where it costs another $100 / quarter to get more cool stuff for the game. I don't mind expansion packs for $19.99 every so often, but I caught a glimpse of the Sims DLC and they can stuff that up their ass.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #195
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

No luck yesterday.

Trying again today in a few hours.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #196
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

IGN AU gives it a 9.2

IGN: Spore Review

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #197
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Early returns suggest that Spore is going to be what most thought it was. Not very deep, alot of editors and more of a toy than a game (ala Sims). Looks like it is getting in the 8.9/9.0 average for these reasons.

If you were expecting stages to rival Master of Orion or Civ IV then it appears you are going to be disappointed.

I'm still looking forward to it in a few days though.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #198
Atocep
Coordinator

I managed to get ahold of an early copy (same friend that got me into WAR beta). I don't have any in-depth impressions yet. I did, however, have quite a bit of fun in the time I spent with it yesterday. Not sure about its long-term replay value yet, but its been a blast so far.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #199
MikeVic
Head Coach

As long as it's like The Sims, that's perfect for me. I think wanting Civ-level depth at that stage, plus having depth equal to that at each other stage is asking for way too much.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #200
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

If you were expecting stages to rival Master of Orion or Civ IV then it appears you are going to be disappointed.

It is definitely not this type of game. If you're a fan of Will Wright's other work, you'll probably like this game. If you go into it expecting something along the lines of Civ or MOO as far as depth goes, you'll be very disappointed.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote