Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #151
CraigSca
Pro Starter

What's a good site to find complete slider information?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #152
heybrad
Norm!!!

Having been monitoring this thread and having my work piss me off so much that I swore I wouldn't do any work after hours anymore for them, I went out and bought this last night (for PS2). What a cool game.

It's the career mode that interests me the most as I love playing console baseball games, but trying to play out even a season tests my patience. The idea of controlling only my at-bats or appearances sounded really cool. I fired it up last night (after my sons baseball practice) and started up a career. I was pleasantly surprised that I could add myself using the Eye-toy (yes, I'm that much of a geek) so I took a few shots and created myself. I looked more like a severe burn victiim than myself, but hey, that's makes for a better story. I latched on with the Angels as a 1B and to get my feet wet, fast forwarded to my at-bats.

I stayed up into the wee hours saying, "This will be my last game and then I'll go to bed." I haven't done that in years. I had a fairly decent spring and then started playing for the Arkansas Travelers. This game is a total blast.

The only downside was that after spending all this time, I finally decided to save my game only to find that I had no space because my son created a ton of Tony Hawk custom skaters. Argh.

I'll have no problem starting over tonight and doing it all again. What a fun game.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #153
Icy
Pro Starter

Damn, as i posted in the thread i started about consoles, i just ordered a PS2 console just for this game. thanks for the website for import games Emiliano, will order the game there probably.

You guys are going to cost me a marriage.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #154
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Mulder is really telling you that he is pleased to be starting tomorrow? Man, I'm only getting a max of one more game in the next month and it is a tough toss-up between this and the new college hoops on the Xbox360.

Shoot.. no Mulder didn't say he was happy to start. Sorry.. that was all me and my made up fantasy world.

They do have situations before games though like your starter has a blister on his finger, do you want to start him or sit him another day... etc..

Get the college hoops game if none other than to play your 360.

This game is very good however.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #155
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Shoot.. no Mulder didn't say he was happy to start. Sorry.. that was all me and my made up fantasy world.

They do have situations before games though like your starter has a blister on his finger, do you want to start him or sit him another day... etc..

Get the college hoops game if none other than to play your 360.

This game is very good however.

Cool. I'm still going to get this eventually, just not until after we buy the house
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #156
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Cool. I'm still going to get this eventually, just not until after we buy the house

Yeah, I think you'll really like it.

It's just like HH as I'm constantly thinking about tonights home opener vs the Brewers.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #157
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I am really thinking of getting playstation 2. This game has my interest and so does College Hoops.

What Memory card recommend to get with Playstation 2?

How is free agents signing in MLB "The Show"? Is it better than MVP free agents signing?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #158
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

When you start a franchise mode, there are no free agents of note worth signing. I'm only two games into my first season, so it will be a while before I get that far.

I'm currently 2-0 as the Red Sox. Beat the Rangers in my first game 9-7. Schilling gave up 5 runs in 6 innings, Ortiz went yard twice, Manny once. Won the second game 4-3. Didn't hit any home runs, but Manny was 4-4 (he's batting over .800 through two games). I actually won the second game in the bottom of the ninth when Brad Wilkerson bobbled and dropped a fly ball, allowing a runner to score with two outs. I had to force myself to turn off the game at 11:15 in order to get a good night's sleep. I'm hoping to play at least two games tonight.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #159
jbmagic
Pro Starter

No free agents in the game? Is that true?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:40 PM   #160
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

That's not what I said. I said there are no free agents of note worth signing. When you start in franchise mode, the free agents are all of the minor league type. I'm sure there are free agents in the game.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #161
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Read it again and slowly this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
When you start a franchise mode, there are no free agents of note worth signing. I'm only two games into my first season, so it will be a while before I get that far.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #162
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Read it again and slowly this time

i wasnt replying to his message above. Sorry for the confusion

i was reading some playstation forums and they mention there no free agents in the game.

Was wondering for anybody that completed a season if thats true?

The only way is connecting online to get latest roster?

Will i need to purchase anything extra with a playstation 2 to connect online. I have DSL modem.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #163
Icy
Pro Starter

I think you need a network adaptor that is not included in the standard Ps2 but i'm not sure as i just bought mine online today and will be at home tomorrow. I guess i'll also need to buy a memory card to be able to save the games and i forgot about that.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #164
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
i wasnt replying to his message above. Sorry for the confusion

i was reading some playstation forums and they mention there no free agents in the game.

Was wondering for anybody that completed a season if thats true?

There are always a ton of very good free agents in the offseason.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #165
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
Having been monitoring this thread and having my work piss me off so much that I swore I wouldn't do any work after hours anymore for them, I went out and bought this last night (for PS2). What a cool game.

It's the career mode that interests me the most as I love playing console baseball games, but trying to play out even a season tests my patience. The idea of controlling only my at-bats or appearances sounded really cool. I fired it up last night (after my sons baseball practice) and started up a career. I was pleasantly surprised that I could add myself using the Eye-toy (yes, I'm that much of a geek) so I took a few shots and created myself. I looked more like a severe burn victiim than myself, but hey, that's makes for a better story. I latched on with the Angels as a 1B and to get my feet wet, fast forwarded to my at-bats.

I stayed up into the wee hours saying, "This will be my last game and then I'll go to bed." I haven't done that in years. I had a fairly decent spring and then started playing for the Arkansas Travelers. This game is a total blast.

The only downside was that after spending all this time, I finally decided to save my game only to find that I had no space because my son created a ton of Tony Hawk custom skaters. Argh.

I'll have no problem starting over tonight and doing it all again. What a fun game.
No doubt, the career mode is what takes up my time as well. Lot's of fun and still get to experience alot of the other goodies that folks are talking about the game. Well worth my time.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #166
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Just got myself the slim playstation 2 console and MLB "The Show"

There is network ready added to the console, so i should be able to get updated rosters.

I wont be able to play the game tonight. My friends taking me out for my birthday.

I cant wait to play it tommorrow.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #167
FBPro
College Starter

I read somewhere that updating the rosters may screw up player stats, I don't think it was talking about already begun franchises either. So you might want to do a little research before you do.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #168
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, the Brewers just smoked me 7-0 in our home opener so veteran is fine for me.

Capuano stiffled me all night. Sheesh...
Old 03-11-2006, 02:32 AM   #169
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Nope, veteran is like that as well.. at least as far as just swinging without bat placement. All star has 4 hitting zones and HOF has 9.

According to veteran mode batting tip, its says batting in veteran mode uses the same timing system as rookie level, but also offers zone control batting, which allows you to use left analog stick to place the bat within the strike zone. The strike zone consists of nine hot and cold zones.

Veteran mode simplifies these zone zones for batting by incorporating four directions (Up, Down,Left,Right) to hit into the different zones.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #170
Icy
Pro Starter

Damn i just phoned the delivery agency and my new PS2 that i purchased yesterday won't be here until Monday instead of today, good news for my wife, bad for me.

Last edited by Icy : 03-11-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #171
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I returned the favor to the Brewers to the tune of 6-0. Jason Marquis has really been great so far.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #172
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I hereby place a curse on all of you for making me buy both a PS2 and this game. My wife would share my sentiments, I'm sure, but for different reasons.

Last edited by Fonzie : 03-11-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #173
dervack
College Prospect

Yeah, I might go and grab one this weekend myself. Thanks guys.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #174
SegRat
High School Varsity

I havent had this much fun with a console game in years.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #175
Airhog
Captain Obvious

hmm, Im not a fan of baseball games, but the career mode, does sound interesting

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #176
jbmagic
Pro Starter

This Game is awesome.

Anybody try manager mode yet?

Wow its the better than High Heat manager mode.

You have so many options has a manager to choose from when managing the game.

Manager Mode is in graphic mode too.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #177
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Rubber game of the series vs Milwaukee, another battle but I manage to take a 5-3 lead late in the game. Suppan was all over the place and ended up walking 4 Brewer batters - never did that in a console baseball game before.. but I love that pitch count slider - Edmonds was hit twice, once in the head and the second time in the thigh, I'm sure that was for his 2 run bomb earlier in the game and his "in your face" trot around the bases, but I remain calm.

Bottom of the 8th and I decide to hit Carlos Lee in retaliation. Up comes Prince Fielder and smacks a 1-0 fastball into the RF upper deck, his second of the day, to tie the game at 5. Shit... Izzy keeps it tied with a decent 9th inning, but in the 10th inning, he gives up a double and then a smoker up the midde that Miles just can't get to fast enough and the runner is safe at first. One out, men on first and third and the next guy hits one to 2nd base for a possible double play.... Eckstein can't get out of his glove in time and the runner's safe on a close play. Derrick Turnbow comes in a gets his 3rd save as his fastball had some wicked movement. Game over 6-5 and the Brewers take 2 out of 3.

Pujols had career hit 1,000 in the game and it was neat to see the camera pan to him on 1st base as the annoucers talked about his milestone.

You know, at times I wonder if I'm hitting too well in a game and then I'm shutout 4 innings in a row. I really like the variety of scores in this game and at 4-5 the game is definitly challenging.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #178
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't play with our PS2 very much, but this game might make me do it. I think I'm going to rent this game soon and try it out. You guys are really doing a great job of selling this game if you're getting me to turn on the PS2.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #179
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I don't play with our PS2 very much, but this game might make me do it. I think I'm going to rent this game soon and try it out. You guys are really doing a great job of selling this game if you're getting me to turn on the PS2.

I think the big thing for me with this game is it's very intense and pitching is a blast. I can easily lose an hours time do to how immersed this game is for me.

The AI does just the right amount of good/questionable plays to make each game different. They will bunt, steal, make great plays, make errors, pinch hit, pinch run, try for extra bases, pick you off, etc... There's enough meat and potatoes in this game to make it fun and at the same time every game has something that makes you say... wow, I can't believe they added that.

Kudos to SCEA... and when this game comes to the ps3, I think it will only get better.

MVP is great, but you know what to expect commentary wise, game presentation wise, MLB is a fresh feeling each game.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #180
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors

Its really good. Very addicting.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #181
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
I hereby place a curse on all of you for making me buy both a PS2 and this game. My wife would share my sentiments, I'm sure, but for different reasons.

Tell her we all said Hi.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #182
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

After reading so much praise about this game, I went and bought it a few days ago.
Have not had much time to play, but it looks great.

Started a season with my team the Phillies on rookie mode to learn the hitting, and other aspects. Later will move up to veteran.

In first game of the season against the Cards, won 8-3 with Burrell smacking a 3 run blast and adding a solo later. Also, Howard went yard on another solo. Carpenter was holding up good, until his disasterous 5th. Cards leading 3-1, and Phillies explode for 6 runs, final line on Carpenter:
5 IP
7 R
7 ER
3 W
0 K
12.60 ERA

a terrible outing.

Leiber was slow to start, but came alive later to finish with a CG.
Leiber's final line:
9 IP
3 R
2 ER
0 W
9 K
2.00 ERA

Albert did hit a fatty 3 run job, thanks to my hard throw to first by Utley to batter before Albert.
The tip came up about pressure sensitive buttons after the fact.

Burrell ended up POG.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 03-11-2006 at 06:42 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #183
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just played two more great games, this is where I'm at.

Difficulty: Veteran
Hot/Cold zones: on
Strikezone: on
Cursor: Fade
Vibration: Off

Pitch count slider: maxed
CPU and Human pitch speed: maxed

Camera views
Pitching: wide
Batting: wide
Fielding: medium

Slides and fielding: manual
Guess pitch: on

I also alternate ump consistency between wide and tight every other game.

The "wide" view when batting as well as the pitch speed sliders all the way up, really make FB pitchers harder to hit. My strikeouts are now normal.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #184
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

This game is outstanding. I'm really digging the Career mode.

However, I just encountered my first game problem that made me cringe: we were at home, and my starting pitcher finished the top of the 7th in a 0-0 tie. In the bottom of the 7th we scored 3 runs, and went on to win 3-1. The starter should have gotten credit for the win, as he was the last pitcher in the game before we took the lead for good. However, the game assigned the win to the reliever who came on in the 8th.

For me that's one of those "how did they miss that?!" kind of screw-ups. I love the game, of course, but damn I hate that shit.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #185
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
This game is outstanding. I'm really digging the Career mode.

However, I just encountered my first game problem that made me cringe: we were at home, and my starting pitcher finished the top of the 7th in a 0-0 tie. In the bottom of the 7th we scored 3 runs, and went on to win 3-1. The starter should have gotten credit for the win, as he was the last pitcher in the game before we took the lead for good. However, the game assigned the win to the reliever who came on in the 8th.

For me that's one of those "how did they miss that?!" kind of screw-ups. I love the game, of course, but damn I hate that shit.

Wow, weird.

I played a game today (spring training), where I had almost the same situation - though, it resulted in a shut-out victory for my team. My SP went a full 7 innings, before I scored the only 3 runs to win the game. However, at the end, he did get credited with the W.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #186
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I just picked it up for my PSP. I hate you all for making me spend money.

Looking forward to playing, though, for now waiting for my PSP to charge...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #187
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Any finance tips when playing franshise mode? There no explanation in the manual.

It seems like i was able to get the best scouts, medical, coaches, etc. I leading the league in every category with money spended on each finance categories. I kept pumping money into it until the comments was very postive.

This was before I play my first spring training game.

Will that affect me in the long run for doing that?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #188
SunDevil
College Prospect

I went to 3 Best Buys today and could not find this game. Either I am blind or this game is that good and everyone has bought it up.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #189
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
I went to 3 Best Buys today and could not find this game. Either I am blind or this game is that good and everyone has bought it up.

Looks like in the Tempe, AZ region, it's popular:
MLB 06: The Show - PlayStation 2 is available at the following stores:

Please Note: Important Information for Checking Stock in Stores online
Products that are AVAILABLE at a specific store will show the store name in bold (ex. Rockville MD).
Products that are UNAVAILABLE at a specific store will show the store name and address grayed out.

Mesa(fiesta) AZ 1337 S Alma School Rd, Mesa, AZ 85210 Map & Directions
Ahwatukee AZ 5051 East Ray Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85044 Map & Directions
Camelback AZ 1949 E Camelback Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85016 Map & Directions
Scottsdale Pavili AZ 9190 E Indian Bend Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85250 Map & Directions
Chandler AZ 3100 W Frye Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226-5007 Map & Directions
Paradise Valley AZ 12645 N 48th St, Phoenix, AZ 85032 Map & Directions
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #190
SunDevil
College Prospect

Thank you. Now I have to finish up these chores as fast as possible and slip outside with the car keys without anyone noticing.....
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:23 AM   #191
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I've been pondering the same thing...especially after doing my taxes today and getting a nifty little refund...but, I've tested the waters with my wife over the last little while and the water is cold!!!! Crap!!! Time for the flowers routine!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #192
Icy
Pro Starter

Ok got it this morning!

I need to look for sliders now, i'm playin on Veteran and hitting is hard.

One question, when playing career mode as LF, i know there is an option to fast forward to your next at bat, but is there any way to watch the game while i'mnot in the field? or just manage myself as LF but not to pitch? That is the only problem i see on the career mode, that if you want to field, you need also to pitch unless i'm missing the option.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:41 AM   #193
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Ok got it this morning!

I need to look for sliders now, i'm playin on Veteran and hitting is hard.

One question, when playing career mode as LF, i know there is an option to fast forward to your next at bat, but is there any way to watch the game while i'mnot in the field? or just manage myself as LF but not to pitch? That is the only problem i see on the career mode, that if you want to field, you need also to pitch unless i'm missing the option.

Nope, I haven't found that one either. When you want to field, you have to both pitch *and* control *everyone* in the field it seems, which is why I said that being a position player is meh for Career Mode.

Maybe C is different though, I don't know.

I just know that for Career Mode, nothing beats being a P, either ST or CL.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #194
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
What did you find lacking for the position player career mode?

I generally don't buy baseball console games, but I love the idea of ITP and if this takes that concept to a new level I'll probably pick it up. Also, if anyone can go into more detail about this aspect of the game, I would appreciate it.

As I noted to Icy, it appears you can't control your player alone when fielding, which kind of sucks. Also, I think there's a sense of detachment from the rest of the game when you're just doing your own ABs.

But to give you a brief rundown on Career Mode, you make your guy, assign ratings points to different areas (believe me, this is *not* an easy thing to do as there's tons of areas to choose from and you really have to decide what's important. Skimp in one area and you *will* get hosed by it as I found out when I didn't put anything into durability).

You pick a team and go through ST and either get offered a contract by the team or not. I did well enough to get an offer from the White Sox, a one year deal. They put me at AAA, though it does go down to AA in terms of levels.

There's Minor League All-Stars and playoffs. i was just on the verge of breaking into the upper echelon of the All-Star voting for AAA SP when I got injured and as i said, I missed the playoffs.

You then get released after your first year is up and are free to hit the market. In my case, the White Sox wanted me back and other teams were interested as I described in a later post.

You can negotiate your contract too, which I did with the White Sox before re-signing with them.

You can also demand a higher spot in lineup/rotation, more playing time, a callup to the next level, a trade, etc. and depending on how you perform in games, that determines the amount of training points you get to allocate to the various areas.

Even if you do exceptionally well for a long run though, you won't turn into a super athlete in a season or two because the costs become more and more expensive to increase even a single point as time goes on.

So you really have to gradually build yourself up, which adds to the realism.

Also you can get really streaky. For example, I was putting together some great outings after getting my tail kicked for a while. Then I got hurt.

Since I've come back from injury, I've had the occasional brilliant game and a few solid outings, but I'm also getting hammered.

A lot.

It appears that you can't do the same things over and over and you really have to mix things up or the game will figure you out, even on the minor league levels.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #195
Icy
Pro Starter

Agree with Izulde, unless you only want to bat in your turn and skip the game until your next at bat, it's funnier to be a pitcher. I have started a career as SP, tried with the Phillies in the Spring training not doing so bad, they offered me a contract and now i'm going to start the season in the AA. With my current pitching level, it's damn hard to keep a low ERA but slowly i'll try to improve with the trainig points. Really fun game so far. I only miss what i said before, that if you are a fielder and want to play in defense, you need also to pitch and to manage all the fielders while if you are a pitcher you only manage your pitcher.

Last edited by Icy : 03-13-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:49 AM   #196
Bee
Pro Starter

Sounds good...thanks for the info. I'll probably pick this up the next chance I get.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #197
Icy
Pro Starter

Aren't pitchers being substitued too fast? at least in the minors i see like 6 pitchers playing some innings per game in each team.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:25 AM   #198
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, awesome stuff, i had a minor injury and i was asked if i wanted to enter in the 15 days injury list or to keep playing, but in the case of keeping on playing, i wouldn't be able to get any level increase by training in 30 days. I love that kind of situations where i need to decide what to do.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:53 AM   #199
jbmagic
Pro Starter

So if i choose to create a first basemen for example, i won't be able to watch the game until my at bat comes up to hit?

I have to control all the player's at bats on the team?
Old 03-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #200
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
So if i choose to create a first basemen for example, i won't be able to watch the game until my at bat comes up to hit?

I have to control all the player's at bats on the team?

Nope, you can't watch it, or you control all players at bat or you select the option to skip until your next at bat but in that case you can't watch the other players batting. That is my only complain about the game so far, but on the other hand the games are fast played that way and you advance faster in your career.

Last edited by Icy : 03-13-2006 at 09:57 AM.