Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #151
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, I think Olsen can still become useful as a starter... I'm hoping at least. The only problem I see is then I'd have a 2nd WR of either Moss, Ginn Jr., or Breaston. But having Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton as my RBs would be nice...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #152
Samdari
Roster Filler

I have an interesting choice myself this week:

Two of
Steven Jackson vs GB
DeAngelo Williams @ DAL
Ronnie Brown @ SD
Knowshon Moreno @ Oak
Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #153
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'd eliminate Moreno right away. I think Williams has the highest upside out of the remaining three.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #154
MikeVic
Head Coach

As for the trade I asked about yesterday...

The guy has Brandon Marshall... think I should get rid of Mike Bell from the deal and try to get Marshall back somehow, and use him as my WR #2? Maybe offer Olsen since I'd be getting back Carlson anyway...
Old 09-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #155
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
As for the trade I asked about yesterday...

The guy has Brandon Marshall... think I should get rid of Mike Bell from the deal and try to get Marshall back somehow, and use him as my WR #2? Maybe offer Olsen since I'd be getting back Carlson anyway...

I'd wait and see on Bell. I think that the coaches might feel more comfortable with him than Thomas at this point--even when both are healthy. If you have the roster space, I might keep him around for a week and see what happens in Buffalo. If Thomas does not get a lot of work v. the Bills, I'd figure that Bell is going to be the main back for the Saints when he comes back from the injury.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #156
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'd wait and see on Bell. I think that the coaches might feel more comfortable with him than Thomas at this point--even when both are healthy. If you have the roster space, I might keep him around for a week and see what happens in Buffalo. If Thomas does not get a lot of work v. the Bills, I'd figure that Bell is going to be the main back for the Saints when he comes back from the injury.

Well, it's a trade I'm working on. Mike Bell is in the deal right now. I have Pierre Thomas, that's why the guy threw him in for me. But my #2 WR would suck if I traded Harvin away... so I'm thinking of switching out Bell for Marshall.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 AM   #157
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I have an interesting choice myself this week:

Two of
Steven Jackson vs GB
DeAngelo Williams @ DAL
Ronnie Brown @ SD
Knowshon Moreno @ Oak

I'd go with Williams and Brown; Steve Jackson just seems to be in a bad way with the Rams offense.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #158
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I had an interesting theory about the ten-team league I'm in, because it gave a slightly lower bonus for passing touchdowns (maybe 4 points instead of 6) and an insanely higher one for defenses.

All proud of myself for grabbing Pittsburgh, I then became the tenth person to draft a quarterback - a half-round after everyone else started picking up backups (oops, thought I would get Eli).

To make matters worse, I didn't immediately draft a backup myself, and ended up waiting until the last round (oops again).

So, my quarterbacks are: Carson Palmer, Jake Delhomme and Brett Favre (sort-of FAed as a joke). Somehow, I'm 1-1. Palmer has the "hot" hand of the three, but he's going against Polamaluless Pittsburgh. Who do I start? Or, better question, should I just accept I'm going to be taking some beatings this season. Someone offered me Joe Flacco for my best receiver. Gotta admire the guy for trying.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #159
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm thinking Eli Manning over Romo right now... Bucs' defense sucks.

As for Jim's QB thing, I think you can play the matchups with Favre and Palmer? I don't trust Delhomme at all though. But expect frustrations with those two QBs I guess.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #160
TLK
Pro Starter

How about this one? If Westbrook is announced as out...

McCoy vs. KCY
or
Slaton vs. JAC
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #161
hoopsguy
General Manager

Got three I'm chewing on for today:

QB - Cutler @ Sea or E. Manning @ TB (storms predicted)
HB - two of three: Chris Johnson @ NYJ, S. Jackson vs GB, or W. McGahee vs Cle
D - Denver @ Oak or NYJ vs Ten
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #162
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Mine is pretty quick and I'm second-guessing myself a lot after last week:

Schaub vs. Jacksonville or Brady vs. Atlanta? 6 pts per td, -2 per pick, pt per 20 yards. Thanks in advance.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #163
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Got three I'm chewing on for today:

QB- Cutler
HB- C. Johnson and McGahee (just for the goal line work)
D- Denver
Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #164
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
How about this one? If Westbrook is announced as out...

McCoy vs. KCY
or
Slaton vs. JAC

I think this is the week that Slaton gets things going, so I would take that gamble.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #165
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post

Schaub vs. Jacksonville or Brady vs. Atlanta? 6 pts per td, -2 per pick, pt per 20 yards. Thanks in advance.

I think Brady is the play here, as I'm guessing they are going to need to score points to win this game.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #166
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post

Both games will be high-scoring. Probably can't go wrong with either. Hard to sit Schaub after last weeks game, especially going against a poor pass defense. Start Schaub.

Last edited by TLK : 09-27-2009 at 08:52 AM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #167
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
McCoy vs. KCY
or
Slaton vs. JAC

Slaton

Quote:

Cutler
Johnson/Jackson (always start my studs)
NYJ

Quote:
Schaub vs. Jacksonville or Brady vs. Atlanta?

The way Schaub looked last week vs. Brady last week you've got to go Schaub.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #168
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Ok, I need to decide between McCoy and McFadden.

Who do you pick
a) if Westbrook plays but gets less work
b) if Westbrook is out

also, with DeSean's injury status, assuming he is active would you consider starting either Kevin Walter or Laurent Robinson over him?

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 09-27-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #169
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Westbrook looks to be out FWIW so I'm going McCoy.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #170
rowech
Pro Starter

Benson at home against the Steelers or Felix Jones at home against the Panthers?

Normally, I'd go with Benson since he's a clear #1 but I get the impression Barber isn't going to play or is going to be really limited which would make Jones a fairly clear #1 as well. Thoughts?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #171
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Jay Cutlers @ Seattle or Trent Edwards vs NO
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #172
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Benson at home against the Steelers or Felix Jones at home against the Panthers?

Normally, I'd go with Benson since he's a clear #1 but I get the impression Barber isn't going to play or is going to be really limited which would make Jones a fairly clear #1 as well. Thoughts?
I say Benson. Not sure if the Cowboys will use Jones near the goalline as I believe they use that back Choice.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #173
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I actually like Edwards over Cutler.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #174
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Is it pouring in NE?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #175
AlexB
Pro Starter

Philip Rivers (vs MIA) or Trent Edwards (vs NO)

Does the likely shootout against NO raise Edwards ahead of Rivers this week?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #176
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'm thinking Eli Manning over Romo right now... Bucs' defense sucks.

As for Jim's QB thing, I think you can play the matchups with Favre and Palmer? I don't trust Delhomme at all though. But expect frustrations with those two QBs I guess.

Went with Palmer, likely headed for a 1-2 record. Figured the Steelers would load up on Benson and would take an early lead, forcing passing accumulations. If I had chosen Favre, probably would have eked this week out. I didn't really consider Delhomme, should probably dump him and pick up a flyer.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #177
JS19
College Prospect

I'm down 16 points going into tonight, I have Felix Jones and DeAngelo Williams going for me, while my opponent has Steve Smith. I'm not all too confident in pulling this one out, but I hope they run all over each other tonight, mostly Williams since I want the Boys to lose.

My fantasy question is this though, with the Bucs offense looking so terrible this week, I'm hesitant to keep Antonio Bryant in my starting lineup, so I'm thinking about going with a 3rd RB in my WR/RB flex spot, I'm gonna hold on to J. Stewart, should I drop Leon Washington and grab Bradshaw? I'm a huge Giants fan, so my gut says grab Bradshaw, but I'm looking for an unbiased opinion.

So I just took a look at the FA wire, and Roy Williams is also available. As of now, I have R. White and D. Driver locked in as my WR's, I took a gamble with B. Edwards and A. Bryant, but their teams just suck so bad they really can't produce. I like my Williams/McGahee RB combo, so with my flex position, should I go with Williams (WR), or stick it our with either Bradshaw/Washington/Stewart?

Last edited by JS19 : 09-28-2009 at 12:48 PM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #178
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Philip Rivers (vs MIA) or Trent Edwards (vs NO)

Does the likely shootout against NO raise Edwards ahead of Rivers this week?

For the record, other than Rivers being definitively ruled out due to injury (or suspension) there is nothing that would elevate Edwards ahead of Rivers. Even then, its a toss up between Rivers and Edwards. Just cross this off of your list of things to think about each week.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #179
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

This isn't advice, just a funny story.

In one league (a PPR league), I have (actually, had) Frank Gore. Now, I've had Frank Gore in various leagues the past few seasons and he's always seemed to disappoint me, either between injuries, poor performance, or inconsistent performance.

So after Gore's awesome Week 2 performance, and given the fact that I need WRs (I started Earl Bennett and Braylon Edwards in Week 3, for example), I decided to sell high. My decision was also made by a sick feeling in my stomach that Gore was teetering on the edge of a) his team suddenly imploding or b) injury.

Prior to this weekend's games, then, I completed a trade (which will be official for Week 4) of:

Gore & TE V. Shiancoe

for

WR V. Jackson & TE J. Witten

I felt good before the weekend, but imagine how good I feel now!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #180
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I'm down 16 points going into tonight, I have Felix Jones and DeAngelo Williams going for me, while my opponent has Steve Smith. I'm not all too confident in pulling this one out, but I hope they run all over each other tonight, mostly Williams since I want the Boys to lose.

My fantasy question is this though, with the Bucs offense looking so terrible this week, I'm hesitant to keep Antonio Bryant in my starting lineup, so I'm thinking about going with a 3rd RB in my WR/RB flex spot, I'm gonna hold on to J. Stewart, should I drop Leon Washington and grab Bradshaw? I'm a huge Giants fan, so my gut says grab Bradshaw, but I'm looking for an unbiased opinion.

So I just took a look at the FA wire, and Roy Williams is also available. As of now, I have R. White and D. Driver locked in as my WR's, I took a gamble with B. Edwards and A. Bryant, but their teams just suck so bad they really can't produce. I like my Williams/McGahee RB combo, so with my flex position, should I go with Williams (WR), or stick it our with either Bradshaw/Washington/Stewart?

You should always plan for the RB/WR flex spot to be a RB, and draft that way.

Don't drop Stewart (although he's clearly a #2, he's good insurance for Williams). But, you could drop either Bryant or Edwards for Bradshaw - no need to keep them around, and Leon Washington is more valuable than either.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #181
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

This week, Turner and Williams are on byes so, gotta pick 2 from this crop

Portis
Addai
McGahee
L. Johnson
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #182
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Not even looking at the matchups I'd go Addai and McGahee as both Portis and Johnson look like they're done. I'm very seriously considering dropping Johnson to the WW in one of my leagues this week and in another league Portis might not be far behind.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #183
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Dunno, I'd still start Portis over Addai.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #184
dervack
College Prospect

Eli Manning vs KC or Brees vs Jets?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #185
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I think you have to keep starting Brees.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #186
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I got very good advice last time around, so... who do I start this week:

Steve Slaton vs. Oakland

or

Pierre Thomas vs. Jets
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #187
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

H_B, I'd go with Thomas. Bell's injury takes more than one week to come back from, and the Saints have shown that Bush is not going to get a lot of carries. So Thomas is the man this week, and the Saints have put up good numbers from that spot (be it Thomas or Bell) all three weeks so far.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #188
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
H_B, I'd go with Thomas. Bell's injury takes more than one week to come back from, and the Saints have shown that Bush is not going to get a lot of carries. So Thomas is the man this week, and the Saints have put up good numbers from that spot (be it Thomas or Bell) all three weeks so far.

Thanks, albion! That's what I was thinking. Slaton has been a big disappointment thus far, I just worry about the matchups. The Jets defense has been killer all year and Oakland, well, not so much...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-01-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #189
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The Pats had success running on the Jets, when they actually chose to do so.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #190
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Ok, let me expand this a bit then:

I can start 3 out 4:

Ronnie Brown vs. Buf
Brandon Jacobs vs. KC
Slaton vs. Oak
Thomas vs. Jets

(I don't know how I ended up with all of these guys (and Adrian Peterson). I am in a leauge with weird people.)
Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #191
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Jacobs for sure. Brown is next, then Thomas I'd say.

Flacco @NE or Roethlisberger vs. SD? I've been starting Flacco every week and very happy with his production, but the SD secondary is tempting.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #192
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm 1-2 and not very happy

Flacco or Romo

Slaton, Thomas Jones, Bensen, Fred Jackson, or Tashard Choice(pick 3)

WR Pierre Garcon or waiver pickup?

Is Fred Jackson going to still be viable here in a few weeks?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #193
cschex
High School Varsity

I have an interesting matchup this week as I have both Flacco and Brady. Been starting Brady, but am tempted to start Flacco because of the matchup. Opinions?
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #194
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I would start Flacco over Brady until Brady starts looking like Brady. The NE DEF (and secondary) has been playing better this year, but until Brady shows me he's got his timing back I'd ride Flacco.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #195
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Ok, let me expand this a bit then:

I can start 3 out 4:

Ronnie Brown vs. Buf
Brandon Jacobs vs. KC
Slaton vs. Oak
Thomas vs. Jets

(I don't know how I ended up with all of these guys (and Adrian Peterson). I am in a leauge with weird people.)

I seriously don't know how the RB thing is a difficult decision. Slaton is a NFL third down back, not a starting RB. Not the right guy for a full time load, not currently getting the GL carries, etc. He is a poor man's Reggie Bush - and will have stats to match - think Kevin Faulk. Don't think about starting him, think about trading him. He should be considered a #4 fantasy RB, the guy you play when all your other RBs have byes or are injured, not someone you play when you have other options.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #196
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I seriously don't know how the RB thing is a difficult decision. Slaton is a NFL third down back, not a starting RB. Not the right guy for a full time load, not currently getting the GL carries, etc. He is a poor man's Reggie Bush - and will have stats to match - think Kevin Faulk. Don't think about starting him, think about trading him. He should be considered a #4 fantasy RB, the guy you play when all your other RBs have byes or are injured, not someone you play when you have other options.

I haven't really had the chance to watch too many Houston Texans games either last year or this year, so I'll take your word for it, but, despite his struggles this year, I kind of find it hard to believe that Slaton is just a NFL third down back (in the Kevin Faulk/Reggie Bush mode) based on these 2008 numbers:

Attempts 268
Yards: 1,282
TDs: 9

Here are those same stats for Kevin Faulk based on his best year with regards to attempts and yards (2003):

Attempts 178
Yards: 638
TDs: 0

Here are those same stats for Reggie Bush based on his best year with regards to attempts and yards (2007):

Attempts 157
Yards: 581
TDs: 4

So, uh, yeah, upon further reflection maybe the comparison is quite as obvious as you think it is.

It's certainly possible that last year is a complete statistical anomaly for Slaton and that over the course of his career - starting as early as now - he will really only be a third down back like Faulk and Bush.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-01-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #197
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's certainly possible that last year is a complete statistical anomaly for Slaton and that over the course of his career - starting as early as now - he will really only be a third down back like Faulk and Bush.

Well, I was speaking physically - in terms of stature, physiqe, and skill set, he is more similar to Bush and Faulk than he is to other NFL every down backs. I just have never seen him lasting very long as a #1 NFL back. I certainly was not trying to compare him to those guys statistically, I know he had a very good year last year. I just have never believed he would ever come close to that again, and obviously still do not.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #198
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Trade Question:

I get WR Jerricho Cotchery. I give up RB Steve Slaton.

I am in need of a decent WR (I have T.O., Nate Burelson, Johnny Knox, and Lee Evans - I had Anthony Gonzalez, but obviously that didn't work out) I have decent RBs (MJD, Slaton, Portis, McFadden), so I think giving one up to get SOMEONE that catches the damn ball isn't a bad idea. Thoughts?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #199
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'd probably do that. If it is a PPR league I'd definitely do it.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #200
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

It is - one full point too. I took the deal. Slaton will likely come around, but I like my other backs enough to give him up for a solid WR that is clearly the favorite target of his young QB.