T Keith Jeffries, MN, 256th N, 40th Pos, 7th State, 2.90 GPA, 78+
T Kris Wunder, FL, 197th N, 27th Pos, 13th State, 4.00 GPA, 68+
DE Clyde Segal, MO, 266th N, 31st Pos, 5th State, 3.34 GPA, 70+
DE Blake Tanner, PA, 781st N, 75th Pos, 41st State, 3.71 GPA, 64+
ILB Roosevelt Forbes, NY, 541st N, 29th Pos, 34th State, 3.60 GPA, 80+
OLB Alan Watson, PA, 362nd N, 26th Pos, 16th State, 3.12 GPA, 85+
CB Tracy Malone, OK, -----, -----, 35th State, 3.49 GPA, 42+
S Scottie Cyrus, TX, -----, 67th Pos, 80th State, 3.83 GPA, 75+

Scottie, from what I can tell, seems better than a lot of recruits and to not be on the Top 1000 is sad. We pulled in one in the Top 100, and several high profile players.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:45 AM   #152
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

End of Season Stuff:

Team Performance: 96
Academic: 66
Recruiting: 100
TV Revenue: 83
Alumni Donations: 83
Attendance: 67

Overall: 82

Nebraska, Oregon State and Alabama have been suspended for a year due to rules infractions.

Walkon Jim Small has been academically suspended.

Five Universities offer me a job - Marshall, Central Michigan, Arizona State, Iowa and Arkansas State. No thanks.

What is really funny is that there were several higher profile coaching openings - Syracuse, Illinois, Georgia Tech, and Washington - that didn't want me. I just finished a 13-0 season but I am not the hot commodity I would have thought.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 09:32 PM   #153
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I take a look at some coaches and staff. For the first time ever, I have the ability to cherry pick a few coordinators who are currently hired by other universities.

I fire our current defensive coordinator and hire:

Tito Trombley
61 yrs old
Play Calling: Pretty Good
Inj. Av: Very Good
Rehab: Fair
Congenial: Decent
D Line: Pretty Good
LBs: Fair
DBs: Good

I also hire a new Deep South Scout:

Rex Mason
49 yrs old
Good with QBs, WRs
Excellent with RBs, D Line, DBs
Very Good with Ks
Poor with LBs
Lousy with O Line

And a New England Scout:

Corwin Powell
47 yrs old
Excellent with LBs and D Line
Very Good with RBs, Ks, and DBs
Good with WRs, O Line
Poor with QBs

And a new Mid Atlantic Scout:

Larry Huffman
72 years old
Excellent with WRs, O Line, DBs
Very Good with RBs, Ks, and LBs
Decent with D Line
Poor with QBs

He's old, but he is light years better than our current scout.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #154
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I head over to scheduling and take a look at what we've already got.

We currently have weeks 1, 2, 3 and 8 open.

Five of our currently seceduled nine games are away - Toledo, Central Florida, Yale, Bolwing Green and CMU. At least we have WMU here.

I make an offer to, of all teams, Fresno State to come to Ypsi. I fgure that the two undefeated teams from last year will be a big draw. They reject my offer.

Arizona has offered us an away game, and I laugh. Heartedly.

I then offer Syracuse a home game - the Big East champion last year. They refuse.

Standford, of all people, offers us an away game, following by a home game next year. Interesting. I counter with a game here at Ypsilanti. They accept.

Southern Methodist offers us an away game. Ick. I decide to stay in the state of Texas and offer Texas A&M a home game with us. They refuse. Not so politely, either.

UTEP offers us a home game, continuing the Texas theme. But I am not sure that I want to play a scrub team. We need a bit better schedule and this is our only opportunity to do better.

I offer a home game to Florida, they sort of laught me off, but Oregon State calls and would accept a home game. Again, I try to find a better team, but it is nice to know that I have options.

There are not too many big name schools left. I offer Maryland a home game, and they refuse. Middle Tennessee State offers us a home game. Heh.

I offer Boston College a home game, no dice, but Boise State wants a home game. We are getting close to the end of the scheduling period, and I am ruinning out of options. I decide to try one last big name school.

I offer a home game to Texas. They reject my offer.

With two weeks left, and only 10 or 12 schools still looking for a dance partner, I try Minnesota, but no dice. We have one chance.

Nevada calls us up and asks for a home game in week 2, and I agree.

The EMU 2011 Schedule:

Week 1 - STANFORD
Week 2 - NEVADA
Week 3 - Bye
Week 4 - OHIO
Week 5 - at Central Florida
Week 6 - at Yale
Week 7 - NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Week 8 - Bye
Week 9 - at Bowling Green
Week 10 - at Central Michigan
Week 11 - BALL STATE
Week 12 - at Toledo
Week 13 - WESTERN MICHIGAN

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #155
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I take a look at my rookies:

QB Horace Bailey - Seems good enough. We'll redshirt him because I have a good number of quality QBs already.

TE Lenny Jameson - He's green but has the higest potential of any TE on my roster. I'll redshirt him this year.

WR Gino Gonzalez - He is raw, but he has Adam Edwards potential. If I don't wind up starting him this year, I will redshirt him.

C Gary Foley - Another of my very fresh freshmen.

G Brock Woody - May end up starting and has good potential.

G Fred Meadows - The most raw freshman I have ever seen, but he has starting potential.

T Kris Wunder - Decent enough.

T Keith Jeffries - Very high potential. We think he could go pro very easily.

DE Clyde Segal - A bit underdeveloped, but he has decent enough potential.

DE Blake Tanner - Like Clyde, underdeveloped but with much better upside.

ILB Roosevelt Forbes - Not as much potential as I would have liked, but still a solid LB.

OLB Alan Watson - Another LB with not as much as I would have liked, but I can't be too disappointed.

CB Tracy Malone - A backup at best.

S Scottie Cyrus - Another mega player. Someday. But today, he's highly green.

-Anxiety

Old 01-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #156
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ralph Mustang: I'd like to think that I should get a little credit for motivating you last season.

Abe: Think whatever you want to think. I strive for perfection every year. it just so happened that last year, in the wins and losses tally at least, we achieved it.

Ralph: I like your recruiting class and your on the field performance. You earned yourself an extra year - congratulations!

Abe: What does that mean?

Ralph: It means, that if you have a substandard year, previously, I would have fired you immediately. Now, you've earned yourself a grace period of one year, because you have proven that you can bounce back from a bad year with a great one.

Abe: I am touched.

Ralph: Now, this year, I want to bring in two of the top 100 recruits nationally.

Abe: Are you going to tell me which positions as well?

Ralph: I'll leave that up to you. I should think that landing top flight recruits after a 13-0 season should be easy.

Abe: Not so easy, see we can't guarantee a BCS Bowl berth even with an undefeated season. Our players are more developed, so I can't sell recruits on playing time, and our academics, although much better than when I arrived, is not great enough to compete with the U of Ms and the Ohio States.

Ralph: Nevertheless, I want two top 100 recruits. Now go out there and recruit.

-Anxiety

Old 01-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #157
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A few factoids -

EMU's football squad had the second highest average cumulative GPA in the country last year - 3.08.

We are ranked as the 6th best school in the country in Algebra, a fact I intend to use during recruiting.

We have three teams on our schedule that begin in the Top 50 - Stanford at 33, CMU at 49 and WMU at 35.

We begin unranked at number 57. We are probably ranked so low because we lost Vernon Godfrey, and that seems fair and all, but Vernon did not get us to 13-0 by himself.

-Anxiety

Old 01-12-2004, 05:18 PM   #158
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have handed out shirts of crimson to 10 rookies. With that said, here then, are our starters for the 2011 year:

QB Pat Pierce (2) - With a battle raging between Pat and Artie, I decie to go with Pat. Since Artie has better potential, and was never redshirted, Artie will wear scarlet this year. Jorge and Gene Gleason will backup Pat. Unless he fails miserably, then I would bring back Artie if Jorge slipped.

RB Broderick Corbitt (3) - Much like Cornelius and Vernon before him, Broderick is ecent enough now, but is only the second bestRB on our squad. However, the better player is a fifth year senior who is almost fully developed, while Broderick could be a star for years. Although I am going with current ability at the QB position, I'll go with potential here.

TE Richie Junker (1) - I have two virtually identical TEs to choose from. Do I want the better pass catcher or the better blocker? I decide to go with the better blocker and start Junker.

WR Rob Shanks (2) - Our best receiver
WR Dusty Kuntz (3) - A man with a load of potential. We'll start him in the three spot.
WR Leo Rupp - A senior who will play the short ball. We have a lot of good receivers battling with Rupp, and he barely gets the start.

C Anthony Armenta (1) - A strong looking C.
G William Singleton - A decent guard, although never anything too special.
G Monty James (3) - Young buck of a guard who might be our best yet if he develops.
T Ralph Borders (1) - Adequate tackle and certainly acceptable.
T Charlie Maxwell (3) - Another young, underdeveloped lineman who will have to learn on the job.

P Emmanuel Buckley (1) - A solid enough punter.
K Carlos Page (1) - A brokenly great kicker.

DE Carlton Lankford (1) - The players here are all either underdeveloped or low potential.
DE Andy Ross (2) - See above.

DT Bo Willis (3) - The Bo watch has officially begun. This mammoth DT is a possible future NFL star, and we want to develop him. He is very talented and looks to have mammoth potential.

ILB Frank Burns - Senior presence and all around player
ILB Cole Rossi - I generally do not like starting two graduating seniors at the same time for the same position group, but Cole has developed into our second best linebacker and has therefore earned the ILB spot.
OLB Mitchell Ebbitt - Another experienced and developed presence.
OLB Perry May (3) - Perry beat out several other underdeveloped candidates who all have huge potential. I may move one over to ILB soon.

CB Bart Reilly - Senior man who is a true shutdown corner.
CB Wade Hoke (3) - Hopefully will develop into our next shutdown corner
S Joseph Frederick (1) - Developed and decent
S Deion Thomas - Aged and average

Let's see what our squad can do!

-Anxiety

Old 01-12-2004, 06:55 PM   #159
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"This week, on TV4, Stanford travels to Eastern Michigan University in a rematch of last year's Motor City Bowl Game, when the Eagles defeated the Cardinal to go undefeated on the year. Now Stanford seeks to even the score with an opening day victory that will start the tone for the season. Standford at Easter Michigan, next, on TV4"

"Excerpts from Abe Sargent's Journal: The Middle Years"
Copyright 2033

Week one - STANFORD (We are underdogs by 6)

Here are my recruiting targets for this year:

RB
FB
WR
G
T
P
K
DE
DT
ILB
CB
S

That's only 12 players, and as always, I'll take more.

Our prestige only increased %5, I suspect the increase was only due to the record, and the fact that we were kept out of the BCS bowls was a strong message.

I spend this week visiting the seven recruits from Michigan and Ohio that are on the National Top 100 list and also who are interested in majors we offer. There are several great players, and I request visits from all of them.

I hit the phones and start dialing up ILBs. There are scads of qualified blue chip recruits with good grades and positive attitudes. It's very difficult for me to narrow down the search.

We now have to worry about Stanford, because you can expect that they are prepared. How prepared are we? Is the team still high from last year's success?

Questions that need answers. Answer will come soon enough. They'll come this week. They'll come today. They'll come right now.

They have arrived.

EMU 38
Stanford 24

Pat Pierce was our MVP. 62 yard TD pass to Dusty Kuntz, 10 yard TD pass to Rob Shanks, 4 yard TD pass to Richie Junker. No picks tossed, only sacked once.

Bart Reilly with a 60 yard punt return for a TD. Broderick with a 57 yard scamper for a score.

Dusty had 122 yards receiving in his debut with us. We did not fumble, we did not throw picks. We played virtually error-free offense. And we won.

A very positive way to begin the season for us. Even more positive is that our only injury is Pat Pierce who has a bit of flu and is probable for this week's game. I'll start him nonetheless.

Week 2 - NEVADA (we are favored by 4)

This week I decide to go against my normal recruiting schedule and head to Missouri. There are several candidates that I want to track down before other schools do, and I noticed that no one was interested besides us in the first week.

I find my top ILB prospect and offer him a scholarship. While in Missouri, I take a look at a few other locals. I don't find anybody of interest, however.

I drive back through Iowa and interview a young running back recruit - a very high profile, however. I like him and offer him a scholarship. I have a little time left, and decide to divert the car to the Dakotas. There are two recruits that our scout ranks highly here - one each in North and Sotuh Dakota. Neither winds up being as sterling as I would have liked, but I keep them in mind for later and request that both the CB and WR prospects here visit. You never know ehn you turn up a gem in a desolate place like this. After all, Justin Goodwin was from Montana.

I finish up the week by phoning a few punters.

Now we have more important things to worry about - Nevada.

EMU 31, Nevada 16

Broderick Corbitt was our Game MVP. 186 yards on 29 carries with 2 TDs? That's good running.

WR Shanks had 118 yards and a TD. Pat Pierce tossed a pair of icky picks. Thomas and Hoke each caught their own interception while Lankford registered two sacks. My game ball, however, goes to William Singleton for his 7 Key Run Blocks. Kepp plugging the line Will!

We have won 16 games in a row. It's nothing compared to Fresno State's 29 game streak, but it's still the second longest such streak currently in the NCAA Div 1-A.

Week 3 - Bye

I head to Ohio to check out some recruits. I start with a pair of solid punters. I like them both. I offer a scholarship to one.

Whiel there, I visit a lot of other recruits. I find a receiver and inside linebacker that I like so I offer them both scholarships. After that, I decide to visit one last recruit, a Guard, and I like him to and offer a scholarship. I now have scholarship offers to seven Ohio players.

I call up a few kickers to get my name out there and then I wrap up the week.

Week 4 - OHIO (we are favored by 12)

I take a trip to Illinois to do a bit more recruiting. I find a nice kicker and offer a scholarship. I unearth a nice DT while I am here.

After that, it's over to Pennsylvania for a bit of a romp through some local recruits. I make an offer to a decent receiver who is also being courted by Notre Dame. I understand that I will likely lose out, but I have to at least try to bring him in. He wants a place close to home, which I have, and academics, which both Notre Dame and I have. I also have a high school teammate on my roster. Maybe that will help, who knows.

The game was relatively stress free - 38-10 victory for us. Broderick Corbitt rushed for 3 TDs on 88 yards and 20 carries. Pierce tossed two TDs but 3 picks as well. He's gotta calm down back there. Lankford notched another pair of QB sacks, Deion Thomas forced a pair of fumbles and Bart Reilly got his first pick of the year.

Again, we have no major injuries. 3-0 and heading into the meat of our schedule. Excellent.

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 12:05 AM   #160
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Believe that the Eagles Can

Ryan Stinnett
Eastern Echo

Many Eagles fans lost hope in the system last year when an undefeated Eastern Michigan was snubbed by the BCS Bowls and was relegated to the Motor City Bowl. Fans who had cheered the Eagles on all year long, who had purchased tickets and attended games one a cold November Michigan Saturday.

Fans who spammed BCS message boards, sent out mass e-mails. We held our collective breath. Can EMU actually go undefeated in the regular season? Can EMU win the MAC Championship or will we falter? Can EMU stand up to Stanford?

13-0 says yes.

And we wonder why we didn't get the chance to show ourselves on a larger stage. We rail against the system. Editorials and talk show call ins - "Get us a playoff system, get us something that will be fair to the Eagles."

When the only two undefeated programs from last year were from non-BCS conferences, you have to wonder. You have to wonder.

And yet, EMU is 3-0 this season, having defeated Stanford again, proving the first time was no fluke. Our schedule is developing some surprises that may help us this year. Yale is 3-0, WMU is 3-0, Toledo is 2-0. We may just end up with a better schedule of strength than we normally do. The question becomes whether we can take advantage of it or not.

And if we do, what then? What then?

We must have hope. Believe that the system works, in the end, it worked for Fresno State, and in the end, it will work for us."

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 01:23 AM   #161
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"The 3-0 Eagles are fresh off an undefeated season and posied for another great year. They take the show on the road down south to MAC rival Central Florida where the Knights await. Does an ambush lurk for the Eagles? Find out, next, on TV4"

Copyright 2033

Week 5 - at Central Florida (we are favored by 10)

I head over to New York for a bit of a scout. I visit a few more New England prospects while I am here. I then make follow up calls to some of my recruits.

We only mage to score a measly, pitiful, anemic 55 points while CFU puts up an amazing 13 points on us.

QB Pat Pierce ran for two scores. He connected with Shanks, Rupp, Kantowski and Mullis for TDs. Broderick added another ground score. And Tyrus Bernstein returned a pick for a TD.

Broderick Corbitt, 106 yards rushing on 23 carries.
Pat Pierce, 24 of 33 for 271 yards, 4 TDs, plus the two rushing TDs
Bernstein and Reilly, each with two picks

That game sure was a lot of fun.

We are #17 in the AP Poll, #21 in the Coach's Poll and ready to launch ourselves to the top of the charts.

Week 6 - at Yale (4-0) (We are underdogs by 8)

Yale is our first major test since Stanford. Yale has a good record this year, so this game should vault us in the computer ratings if we can win. If, we can win.

I need to gather a few late recruits, and I fly out to Florida. There I visit a really nice CB recruit and offer him a scholarship. Perfect. I decide to swing by a few other Floridians while I am in the area. Of my targets, I still need a S. There is a nice safety recruit here, so I visit him, only to find that Wisconsin is courting him hard. I like him and offer him a scholarship. I'll not back down from any school. But I fear that I may be a bit of a Johnny Come Lately in the game.

I call some of my recruits and remind them that EMU wants them. I at least want a visit before they make a decision.

But, more than recruiting, Yale is on my mind.

Yale is currently the best rushing team in the nation, having rushed for 976 yards in their first four games. Amazing.

EMU 30, Yale 25. Whew.

Broderick Corbitt had 90 yards rushing and a score. Pat Pierce had 343 yards, 3 TDs and 2 Ints. Lankford had another pair of sacks. Thomas had another pick. Our C Armenta had 6 key run blocks.

Again, no major injuries. We've had a lot of our players get banged up a bit, but never miss any playing time the whole season. We've been blessed.

We are ranked #2 in the computer ratings, #15 in the AP Poll, #18 in the Coach's Poll, and #10 overall.

Week 7 - NORTHERN ILLINOIS (we are favored by 35)

Once again we are heavy heavy favorites against another MAC foe. I hope that we can beat the spread. We need to impress the pollsters.

This week is, as always, official hold your serve week, we try to keep the guys we have made offers to from leaving. Next week, of course, they'll actually visit. Once last chance to grab players and make offers.

I find an amazing RB while cleaning up in Virginia. I covet him tremendously. My scout rated him a 78 but I found that our scout was sorely misrepresenting his abilities.

With that recruit uncovered, I head to today's game. If we want to be a championship caliber team, then we can't beat these dinky 1-3 MAC teams 23-17. We have to simply annihilate them. We have to prove that we are simply a higher caliber of team than they are, and they have no chance of ever defeating us.

Especially here at home.

We beat the spread by three - 38-0. Now that's what I am talking about. A shutout!

Here are our five TD scores. Enjoy:

Broderick Corbitt, 2 yd run
Rob Shanks, 15 yard catch
Bryant Gilmore, 4 yard catch
Keith Mullis, 6 yard run
Broderick Corbitt, 3 yard run

Pierce only had 113 yards passing, 13 of 20. Jorge came in for a while and went 13 of 18 for 123 yards. Ed Hoke with a pick, Boss with a forced fumble.

We brought in a Center recruit this week.

WE ARE RANKED NUMBER ONE IN THE COMPUTERS!!!!!! Wowzers. #14 in the AP Poll, #15 Coach's, #7 overall.

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 02:34 AM   #162
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week 8 - BYE

I try to keep my recruits coming. At the end of the week, I find out that we brought in a receiver and that RB I uncovered in Virginia that I wanted so much. I also got four rejections.

Number one in the computer this week is....Baylor at 7-0. We are number 2 in the computers, sorta. See, we are actually tied with Baylor at 1.75. We are 2, 1, 1, 7, 3 and they are 1, 2, 2, 11, 2. Toss out the 11 and the 7 and we are 1123 and they are 1222.

#12 AP, #13 Coach's. #7 overall.

Week 9 - at Bowling Green (we are favored by 22 to defeat the 2-4 Bowling Green)

I try to find new recruits to replace those lost while also trying to get the current batch visiting EMU to come to our school. Maybe our 20 game winning streak will help. Maybe.

Now we have another of those games we need to just slam our outmatched opponent.

Well, we win, but not by a major margin - 26-21.

Leo Rupp returned a kickoff 97 yards for a score. That'll really hurt us in the polls, because it will indicate that we would've lost without a lucky special teams play. He also caught a TD for a score.

Broderick Corbitt rushed for a score.

A few picks, a few sacks. But a few fumbles and a pick that was returned for a TD by the Bowling Green defense. Ick.

WR Rob Shanks is questionable with a stretched knee ligament.

We bring in a CB and DT, but lose a S and a DE.

In the computers, we remain number 2, with Baylor remaining tied with us. We hold stead in the Voter Polls and yet raise to #5 in the overall rankings. Three of our last four opponents are ranked in the Top 50.

Incidentally, Yale has continued to win (7-1), Toledo, coming up soon, is 6-1, and Stanford is 5-2. So our schedule looks better than it might have otherwise.

"This week, on TV5, the undefeated Eastern Michigan Eagles seek to continue one of the longest current winning streaks in NCAA against crosstate rival Central Michigan. The Chippewas have ideas of their own, hoping for another MAC West run at the title. Can the Eagles continue to destroy their opponents, or will they fall in the face of Chippewa fury? Find out tomorrow, only on TV5"

Week 9 - at Central Michigan (we are favored by 12)

I continue to try and find a suitable safety. Somewhere in the country there has to be one? We have nine recruits visiting us.

I am lucky to find a decent S and a good DE in New England. I offer them both scholarships.

This week, I'd love to defeat Central Michigan by an impressive margin. Only winning big seems to impress the poll voters.

34-14 victory on the road. I'll take it.

Broderick Corbitt rushed 24 times for 104 yards, caught 8 catches for 93 yards.

Pierce tossed three scores and a pick. Hoke registered two interceptions, Boss another, Reilly a fourth and Frederick picked off CMU and ran it 80 yards for a score.

In recruiting, we bagged an OT, that DE from Maine, and a S from Mississippi who I didn't think that I was going to get. I was rejected by an ILB and a kicker.

In the computer rankings, Baylor hasa secured the number one spot and we are comfortably in second. #11 in the AP Poll, #12 in the Coach's Poll and #7 overall. There are seven teams undefeated right now - all 8-0. Ohio State, Fresno State, EMU, Baylor, Boston College, Georgia Tech, and Tulane. Only Tulane has an overall ranking lower than our own.

"This week, on TV4, MAC megapower Eastern Michigan continues to attempt a repeat of last year's undefeated team. Can the Eagles do what no other MAC team has ever done? Ball State wants to end the Eagles' dreams of grandeur. Can Ball State play spolier to Eastern Michigan's hopes of a BCS Bowl berth? Tune in this week, on TV4"

Copyright 2033

Week 11 - BALL STATE (we are favored by an amazing 30)

Recruiting is quiet. I have seven recruits visiting EMU and I would like to bring all of them into our fold. I already have 8 recruits in, so that would bring my total number up to 15 out of a possible maximum of 16. All I do this week is visit and phone them to assure them that I am still interested. And I subtly remind them that we have yet to lose a game in two years.

Ball State is the last chump team on our schedule. We need to bitch smack them. For us, every game is a statement game, every week is vital.

Unfortunately, our team doesn't know that. They lay off a bit this week and only manage a two point victory - 27 to 25.

Carlton Lankford is our Game MVP with an amazing FIVE sacks.

Pat Pierce, on the other hand, had an amazing FIVE picks. And no TDs. We held the Ball State leading rusher to -46 yards, we held their QB to 174 yards, and yet two picks by Pierce were returned 91 and 87 yards for TDs. Two redzone picks returned for scores. That is simply not acceptable.

We fall to number 3 in the computer ratings, but rise to #9 in the AP Poll and #11 in the Coach's Our overall ranking is steady at 7. Two undefeated teams lost, hence our rise in the polls. Tulane and Boston College lost.

On the recruiting front, we brought in a TE and ILB. Excellent. Excellent.

"The battle for the MAC West begins this week as the 8-1 Toledo Rockets host the 9-0 Eastern Michigan Eagles. These two teams are bitter rivals and now the two major powers in the MAC West. Broderick Corbitt and the Eagles fly into town to take on the Rockets in a battle for the ages. A battle, for respect. Today, on TV2"

Copyright 2033

Week 12 - at Toledo (8-1) (we are favorites by 4)

In recruiting, all I do is call the 5 guys left. It's football time.

This is arguably our biggest game of the season before the MAC Championship. THe Yale game was intense, but I expect this to be five times as intense. Our two teams are very, immensely, similar. Time for the big guns.

Can Pat Pierce battle through his propensity for tossing interceptions? ANother game like last week and he's hooked for Jorge.

EMU 17
Toledo 10

The Game MVP was again Carlton Lankford, who is really turning it on now with another pair of sacks.

Pat Pierce rushed 72 yards for our first score. Dusty Kuntz caught a 52 yarder from Pat for the other TD.

However, Pat only threw 10 of 20 for 145 yards, 1 TD and 3 Ints. We won, but he is getting benched for Jorge for next week's game against WMU.

ILB Frank Burns got our only pick of the day.

We were turned down by a WR but I alraedy have our targeted one, so I am not worried. Four recruits left.

With a win against another quality opponent, we jump to #1 in the computers, #9 in each human poll, and #3 overall. Losing this week was previously undefeated Baylor to leave just 4 teams with perfect records as the season winds down.

DT Trevor Murray is doubtful for the next few weeks with a hyperextended knee.

Week 13 - WESTERN MICHIGAN (we are favored by 21)

Recruiting is easy, yadda yadda, head into the game that I care so much about.

24-21 over WMU. Again, a closer game than I would have liked. This year, these little dinky wins don't seem to be hurting us, as you'll see in a bit.

Broderick Corbitt with 130 yards rushing, 2 TDs. Jorge Strickland put up three picks and no TDs. That's worse than Pat Pierce almost. Leo Rupp returned a 91 yard kickoff for another TD. Pat will start again next week, maybe he'll be better after a week on the pine.

WR Dusty Kuntz is out for at least a month with arthroscopic knee surgery.

We brought in a K and a FB in recruiting. After all, how many 11-0 teams can be recruiting these players?

And then there were three. Ohio State fell in their regular season finale. Three 11-0 teams - us, Fresno State, and Georgia Tech which is only 10-0.

We are ranked #1 in the computers, #6 AP, #7 coach's, and #3 overall. One more obstacle (the MAC Championship) and we are going to a BCS bowl. A major victory or climb in the polls and we may hit #2 overall and head for a championship.

We have, for once, a great schedule of strength - 1.84 overall - competitive with other major programs coming out of major divisions.

Week 14 - BYE

No major recruiting this week. 10-1 Miami of Ohio wins the MAC East, thereby setting up a major conflict in the MAC Championship next week.

No recruits make decisions this week.

Georgia Tech loses their regular season finale as well, leaving just us and Fresno State as the only unbeaten teams yet again.

We are #1 in the computers, #6 in each poll, #3 overall. We are just a bit behind Fresno State in the #2 spot. If we can overtake them with our Championship Game, then we may end up ranked second. Ranked number one is 10-1 Michigan. How much fun would it be for Ann Arbor Michigan against Ypsilanti Michigan, literally a mile apart in real life.

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 02:45 AM   #163
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"It all comes down to this. Miami of Ohio, 10-1 and the MAC East Champion has designs on the glory of a MAC Championship. 11-0 Eastern Michigan has dreams of a BCS Bowl berth. Whichever way it goes, unstoppable force meets the unmovable object as the Eagles host the MAC Championship. Next, on TV1"

Copyright 2033

Week 15 - MIAMI of OHIO (we are favored by 8)

No recruits made decisions last week, leaving a few lingering recruits running around. Specifically, a G and a P.

Since we are sooooo close to the Fiesta Bowl, we need to take out Miami of Ohio. We are already #1 in the computers, so we are playing to impress the voters. Move up in the polls, and we do well. Michigan, OSU, Florida and Texas, and Fresno State are ahead of us in the polls.

What is annoying is that Texas is not in the Big XII Championship Game and Florida is not in the SEC Championship Game. We can not realy on our opponents' losing to help us in the polls. We are .66 behind Fresno State. Jumping up one spot in each poll to #5 will give us a one point jump, enough to knock out Fresno State.

Good luck gentlemen. Pat Pierce gets the start.

EMU 31
Miami of Ohio 13

Our TDs:

Rob Shanks, 17 yard catch TD from Pierce
Broderick Corbitt, 51 yard scamper for TD
Borderick Corbitt, 5 yards for another score.
Pat Pierce, 1 yard plunge for TD

Broderick Corbitt, 28 carries, 178 yards, 2 TDs Pierce continues to toss picks.

So, we are headed to a BCS bowl. The question is, which one? We'll have to wait for the announcements later.

-Anxiety

We also brought in that G and P.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:37 PM   #164
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"BCS Snub

Andy McCallister
ESPN.com

It's time that those of us who vote for either the AP Poll or the Coaches Poll are held accountable to ourselves. For the second straight year, Eastern Michigan University has been held out of the BCS Championship game despite having a perfect 12-0 record.

Last year, there were four undefeated teams heading into the bowl season, so you can understand why EMU was held back, but they also didn't even get a BCS berth. Shameful, maybe. WHile two other undefeated teams lost, Eastern Michigan defeated Stanford and finished 13-0.

So, what have they done this year? Only continued at 12-0 currently. In the past, when a team like EMU has done weel, we've been able to say "But you haven't played a tought schedule." If you play a tough schedule, then you will be rewarded in both the computer and the polls.

Really?

EMU, at 12-0 this year, has defeated 9-2 Yale, 10-2 Miami of Ohio and 8-3 Stanford. The only other unbeaten team this year was Fresno State.

Fresno State has beaten 9-2 Hawaii and 8-3 Tulsa and that's it.

So, by the very standard that we supposedly hold teams from major conferences accoutable, EMU has played more top teams than Fresno State. Indeed, the computer agrees, placing EMU's strength of schedule at 0.92 while finding Fresno State's schedule a paltry 4.6!

So then, by our own standards, EMU should be ranked higher. And in the computers, they are.

Yet we vote them #6 in the polls. EMU defeated 10-1 Miami of Ohio in the MAC Championship game by 20 points, and they didn't move in either poll. They are behind TWO 9-2 teams. Eastern Michigan has won a full three games more, yet they are ranked behind them? EMU has played a tough schedule, yet are voted lower?

If either poll had moved EMU up one spot to #5, then they would be in the BCS Championship. The difference between EMU and Fresno State? 0.07 points. Can anybody honestly say that a 12-0 team with a tough schedule is actually 0.07 points WORSE than an 11-0 team with a weak schedule?

Why Fresno State? Because they have ben voted number one in the nation in both polls. The polls have meaning, and when they have meaning, then we have to vote responsibly. And this was not responsible voting.

The best thing to happen is for EMU to lose to Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl. If Eastern loses, then some people will sigh, breathe easily, and exclaim, "See the system works," all while having crossed fingers for next season.

The worst thing is obviously if Fresno State loses and Eastern Michigan wins. Then, the whole system will shake and shudder. What will happen then, I imagine? The system needs EMU to fail.

That's why I want them to win."

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 09:04 PM   #165
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Four MAC teams are in bowls:

Motor City Bowl - Arizona State vs Miami of Ohio
Peach Bowl - Arkansas vs Akron
Humanitarian.com Bowl - Texas Christian vs. Toledo
Orange Bowl - Eastern Michigan vs Georgia Tech

The MAC goes 3 for 3 in the other bowls, and now they are relying on us to show the world what the MAC attack is about.

"One team was nearly undefeated before losing in the last game of the regular season. The other team is undefeated for the second straight year but snubbed by the voters. Each team has something to prove. It's the Eastern Michigan Eagles versus the Georgia Tech Yellowjackets, coming up next, on TV1"

THE ORANGE BOWL - vs Georgia Tech (we are favored by 4)

How could we expect to win this game, in all honesty? We allowed their back a 100 yard day, we let their QB throw for 395 yards, 4 TDs and no picks.

On the other hand, Broderick Corbitt only rushed for 44 yards. Sure, he got a TD, but how can we expect to win against a landmark defense - a 10-1 team from a major conference.

Unless we aired it out.....Pat Pierce, 31 of 45, 429 yards, 4 TDs. Two receivers with over 100 yards - Shanks and that Corbitt fellow. Corbitt had 2 TDs receiving.

Bryant Gilmore caught a pair of TDs as well. Lankford and Murray, both with a pair of sacks. We won 38-28.

We won!

Orange Bowl MVP was Pat Pierce.

Oh, Fresno State beat Michigan 31-24. For the Heisman, I vote for the Florida QB. Instead, the USC QB won.

An interesting sidenote. Despite defeating a major team from a major conference, our bump in the polls was minor - #4 AP and #6 Coach. We are only one of two undefeated teams in the nation with a 27 game winning streak and a blistering hot schedule, and yet we can't get above #6 in the Coach's Poll?

And yet, in the overall ranking, we are #1. Despite the fact that Fresno State defeated Michigan, our victory over Georgia Tech and subsequent minor bump in the polls helped us cross Fresno State and end the year ranked number one. How odd is that? Fresno State won the Championship, yet we are ranked #1.

Oh, by the way, this is my 2000th overall post. Again.

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 09:15 PM   #166
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Awards:

We have no national awards.

MAC First Team:

RB Broderick Corbitt
G William Singleton
ILB Frank Burns
CB Bart Reilly

MAC Second Team:

QB Pat Pierce
WR Rob Shanks
P Emmanuel Buckley
K Carlos Page
DE Carlton Lankford
OLB Mitchell Ebbitt

MAC Academic Team:

WR Leo Rupp
DE Carlton Lankford
DT Richard Thurgood

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 09:42 PM   #167
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Year in Review (Stats):

QB Pat Pierce, 2840 yards, 60.6% completetion rate, 25:19 ratio, 134.3 rating

Pat was adequate, but he had a tendancy to occasionally toss a dozen picks.

RB Broderick Corbitt, 283 carries for 1322 yards, 16 TDs, 56 catches, 564 yards, 3 TDs

Broderick has a great year and looks every bit the replacement for Vernon Godfrey.

WR Rob Shanks, 57 grabs, 714 yards, 7 TDs
WR Dusty Kuntz, 11 starts, 40 grabs, 600 yards, 4 TDs
WR Leo Rupp, 30 grabs for 369 yards and 2 TDs, 2 KR TDs

Except for the two return TDs, Leo Rupp was a sheer disappointment. Rob did well and Dusty, considering his age, did very well.

K Carlos Page, 15 of 19, 45 of 52 PAT
P Emmanuel Buckley, 16 of 67 punts inside the 20, average of 34.4 yards

Carlos really decided that he couldn't make the XPs this year. Emmanuel is nothing special, but I expect better.

DE Carlton Lankford, 39 tacks, 11 assts, 19.5 sacks, 26 TFL
DE Andy Ross, 22 Tacks, 13 assts, 7.5 sacks, 8 TFL, 1 FF, 2 FumRec
DT Bo Willis, 24 tacks, 14 assts, 2.5 sacks, 10 TFL

Want to see more from Bo next year, but Carlton really overachieved this year. Too bad he's a graduating senior.

ILB Frank Burns, 68 tacks, 29 assts, 12 TFL, 2 Ints, 6 PasDef, 2 FF
ILB Cole Rossi, 48 tacks, 17 assts, 11 TFL. 3 PasDef
OLB Mitchell Ebbitt, 58 tacks, 21 assts, 11 TFL, 1 Int, 3 PasDef
OLB Perry May, 42 tacks, 11 assts, 3 sacks, 10 TFL, 1 Int, 3 PasDef, 1 FF

Frank Burns had a decent enough year but I would have liked more from him. Still, he led my team in tackles. Perry May was the only LB to put pressure on the QB, but he was the worst tackler. Interesting.

CB Bart Reilly, 48 tacks, 10 assts, 6 TFL, 4 Ints, 12 PasDef, 1 PR TD
CB Wade Hoke, 29 tacks, 15 assts, 1 TFL, 6 Ints, 10 PasDef
S Deion Thomas, 48 Tacks, 19 assts, 8 TFL, 4 Ints, 14 PasDef, 2 FF
S Joseph Frederick, 59 tacks, 19 assts, 9 TFL, 1 Int, 3 PasDef, 2 FF

Wade Hoke looks to have developped quickly on the job, leading our team in picks. It looks like Deion is the coverage safety and Joseph the hard hitting safety. Funny.

G William Singleton, 34 KRB, 3 SkA
G Monty James, 26 KRB, 8 SkA
T Charlie Maxwell, 28 KRB, 4 SkA
T Ralph Borders, 20 KRB, 6 SkA
C Anthony Armenta, 27 KRB, 3 SkA

Monty has really developed and will be ready to be a rock for us next year. You can't tell from the stats but Anthony and Charlie did not grow and develop as I would have liked.

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #168
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our Recruiting Class:

RB Ernie Lohner, Virginia, 78++, 620th Nationally, 10th State, 46th Position, 3.14 GPA
FB Dixon Jacobs, Wisconsin, 62+, -----, 15th State, 39th Position, 4.0 GPA
TE Steven Yaw, Pennsylvania, 75+, 771st Nat, 33rd State, 22nd Position, 3.1 GPA
WR Dwayne Humphrey, Ohio, 78+, 226th Nat, 17th State, 16 Pos, 3.16 GPA
C Earnest Snedeker, Michigan, 87+, 99th Nat, 4th State, 7th Pos, 3.06 GPA
G Tyrone Bollinger, California, 66+, 604th Nat, 72nd State, 44th Pos, 3.51 GPA
T Will Joseph, Pennsylvania, 73+, 176th Nat, 12th State, 19th Pos, 4.0 GPA
P Tony Hanson, Ohio, 97+, 124th Nat, 10th State, 3rd Pos, 3.39 GPA
K Trevor Capshaw, New York, 81+, 284th Nat, 15th State, 8th Pos, 2.98 GPA
DE Tyrone Stone, Maine, 76+, 263rd Nat, 3rd State, 38th Pos, 3.53 GPA
DT Derrick Taylor, Illinois, 76+, 195th Nat, 6th State, 18th Pos, 3.6 GPA
ILB Charlie Cooley, Ohio, 77++, 213th Nat, 14th State, 13th Pos, 3.8 GPA
CB J.B. Sullivan, Florida, 83+, 316th Nat, 21st State, 21st Pos, 3.41 GPA
S Brandon Roberson, Mississippi, 80+, 429th Nat, 8th State, 22nd Pos, 3.57 GPA

That's a real nice punter there. 3rd best punter, 8th best kicker, 7th best center, there are a lot of quality recruits in there. Maybe my best recruiting class yet.

T Will Joseph is on the All-America High School Team, by the way.

-Anxiety

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-13-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #169
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A few career stats to leave the season with:

CB Bart Reilly, 37 starts (every game for three years), 139 tacks, 49 assts, 2 sacks, 14 Ints, 20 TFL, 34 PasDef, 5 FF, 3 FumRec, 1 PR TD

Bart was a true shutdown corner and a major asset during these past two years. So many college teams have just one good receiver that you have to have a great corner to stick with them. Bart was a great corner.

ILB Frank Burns, 50 starts (every one), 266 tacks, 98 assts, 7 sacks, 51 TFL, 5 Ints, 19 PasDef, 4 FF

Frank was a solid inside presence for us for five years. Since he was suspended for the 2009 year, he was in the unique position of having started his freshman, sophomore, senior and fifth year senior years with a redshirt in his junior year.

S Deion Thomas (50) - 189 tacks, 70 assts, 28 TFL, 8 Ints, 1 Int TD, 40 PasDef, 4 FF< 1 FumRec

Another four year starter and solid. 40 Passed defensed? Pretty good.

OLB Mitchell Ebbitt, 49 starts (missed one), 200 tackles, 67 assts, 14 sacks, 41 TFL, 3 Ints, 1 Int TD, 15 PasDef, 3 FF, 1 FumRec

More of a pass rusher and run stopper than a coverage man. Still, Mitchell's contribution cannot be overestimated.

G William Singleton, 37 starts (three years), 81 KRB, 28 SkA

Not a bad career for a guard who was constantly overachieving beyond his abilities.

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 10:31 PM   #170
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our Score:

Team Performance: 100
Academics: 61
Recruiting: 96
TV Revenue: 96
Alumni Donations: 91
Attendance: 69

Overall: 84

QB Gene Gleason is academically suspended for failing a class.

I can't believe that the U of M head coach always wins the Coach of the year award.

My head scout, scout for the Great Lakes region retired and I need to find a new one. Alabama, San Diego State and Idaho offer me coaching positions. That's it? Three programs? Sad.

I increase ticket prices for the first time since taking over as head coach.

I hire 72 year old Danny Sharper as my GL scout, but I don't expect much from him - he's old. I'll just use him until he retires in a few years.

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 10:39 PM   #171
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We hit the scheduling phase. There is only one team that I want, no, NEED, to schedule.

Let's end this battle now. Fresno State, I want to play you. They reject my offer. However, Stanford wants another game this year. I make them an offer. They accept my offer and we will open with Stanford again this year.

San Diego State wants a game, but I'd rather not. I offer to Boston College, but they refuse. Arkansas wants a home/away deal, but I hate to tie up my schedule for two years.

I offer a game to Syracuse. They refuse but Nebraksa comes calling. They want an away/home deal, and I counter with just a home game. They refuse, but Tulane is on the phone.

They offer me a home game, and I accept.

2012 Eastern Michgain Schedule

Week 1 - STANFORD
Week 2 - TULANE
Week 3 - Bye
Week 4 - Bye
Week 5 - at Buffalo
Week 6 - YALE
Week 7 - CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Week 8 - at Kent State
Week 9 - at Ball State
Week 10 - at Northern Illinois
Week 11 - WESTERN MICHIGAN
Week 12 - BOWLING GREEN
Week 13 - TOLEDO

We have a nasty three game away stretch, but then we conclude with a three week homestand. We have 7 home games, which is nice. Our away games are easier, Ball State, Nothern Illinois, Buffalo and Kent State might not have a winner among them.

Definitely a good schedule.

Now, if Yale and Tulane can have good years again, then our schedule will be even better.

-Anxiety

Old 01-13-2004, 10:50 PM   #172
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A closer look at my freshmen:

RB Ernie Lohrer - Looks decent and solid but nothing special. Could start.

FB Dixon Jacobs - Only on my roster for goal line situations, but is solid at that.

TE Steven Yaw - Wow. Much better than I had anticipated, I didn;t even need a TE this year, I just picked him up for depth, and he may end up starting after he develops. A future stud if he develops quickly.

WR Dwayne Humphrey - A solid recever. As of right, I don't know if he'll start this year or not, but he is in the running.

C Earnest Snedeker - I have no idea how I keep getting these studly centers, but I guess I can't complain too much.

G Tyrone Bollinger - Enh. Very green.

T WIll Joseph - Could start down the road for us.

P Tony Hanson - Please welcome my MAXED OUT PUNTER. In potential, at least. And he has great current stats.

K Trevor Capshaw - A bit inconsistent with his kicking power.

DE Tyrone Stone - May start someday, but for now, is a backup, redshirt sort of guy.

DT Derrick Taylor - See above, but more green.

ILB Charlie Clooney - Amazing looking backer who may be able to use a year of development in a shirt of crimson. Maybe not, because we are thin at inside quality.

CB J.B. Sullivan - Not a bad looking prospect, but he'll ride the pine wearing red.

S Brandon Roberson - A decent enough fellow. When will I get my studly safety?

-Anxiety

Old 01-14-2004, 02:09 AM   #173
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our Starting Lineup:

QB Pat Pierce (1) - Our new scout thinks more highly of Pat than Artie Brown. So Pat it is.

RB Broderick Corbitt (2) - Not the best short yardage back ever, but good to great at everything else.

TE Richie Junker - Hopefully won't embarass us too much, because he's nothing special.

WR Rob Shanks (1) - Our best receiver. Go Rob!
WR Dusty Kuntz (2) - And yet Dusty might have better stats due to a better big play ability
WR Gino Gonzalez (3) - Let's see what the sophomore can do

C Anthony Armenta - Good, but being pushed because of the sheer talent behind him on the roster.
G Monty James (2) - Average and yet developed.
G Brock Woody (3) - Not like the other guards are doing much better, so let's let the kid grow a little.
T Charlie Maxwell (2) - Someday I'll have good tackles. That'll be a good day.
T Ralph Borders - Never grew like he should have. Talent wasted.

P Emmanuel Buckley - Nothing great.
K Carlos Page - Something great but needs to settle down.

DE Carlton Lankford - Had a great season last year, came out of nowhere. Can he repeat?
DE Andy Ross - He's just blah but our future DEs are not as developed.
DT Bo Willis (2) - Bo's gotta get game. Bo knows collapsing the pocket?

ILB Percy Finch - Just doesn't do it for me.
ILB Dixon Wingate (1) - Definately doesn't do it for me.
OLB Perry May (2) - Good against the run, a bit of a pass rusher
OLB Alan Watson (3) - By potential, maybe the best linebacker we've ever had. Will that translate on the field?

CB Ed Boss (1) - Adequate CB but nothing special.
CB Wade Hoke (2) - Something special.
S Joseph Frederick - He was the tackling safety last year.
S Tyrus Bernstein (1) - Has really come on as of late and will hopefully be a good safety for us for a couple of years.

-Anxiety

Old 01-14-2004, 02:19 AM   #174
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ralph Mustang: I asked for 2 top 100 recruits. Was that too hard?

Abe: I landed one.

Ralph: A center. We didn't even need a center.

Abe: I also grabbed the thrid rated punter. Have you seen him in practice? He may be our best player.

Ralph: A punter? That's what you have to show for your recruiting efforts last year?

Abe: If punter werea higher profile position, then you know that he'd have been ranked in the top 100. Our center was the 7th center and he was in the top 100.

Ralph: I still can't believe that you point to a punter as the crowning achievement of a recruit class. Why are you still here?

Abe: You summoned me to your office

Ralph: Here at Eastern Michigan you idiot. You've won an Orange Bowl, you could go anywhere.

Abe: I like it here. It's a challenge. Think I want to leave behind 13-0 seasons for a 7-4 season at some random institution in the south or the West Coast? Or even worse, Texas?

Ralph: I want another undefeated season.

Abe: Ralph, there is something about me that you still don't get.

Ralph: Yeah, what's that?

Abe: You'll never drive me harder or faster than I drive myself.

-Anxiety

Old 01-14-2004, 02:31 AM   #175
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Keep it up Anxiety. Though I'm not sure with your current squad you'll be able to get another undefeated season, looks like there's a lot of shakiness in that defense from your player summaries.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 03:11 AM   #176
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Is Stanford-Eastern Michigan the newest rivalry? EMU went to Stanford four years ago, then they met in the Motor City Bowl two years ago. Last year, Stanford again fell before the Eastern Michigan juggernaut. And now they face off again. Witnessing the birth of a new rivalry is always something compelling. Broderick Corbitt and the Eagles host the Cardinal, ranked #14 in the preseason polls, today, on TV4"

Copyright 2033

Week 1 - STANFORD (we are favored by 1)

In the three previous seasons that we've played Stanford, we've gone 10-2, 13-0 and 13-0. Maybe they're our good luck charm?

I hit the recruiting circuit. I need:

QB
RB
WR x2
G
DT
ILB
OLB
CB
S

And, as always, depth. The most recent kicker I pulled in looks a bit poor, I might try to find a better option.

Number of recruits who idolize us? Zero.

Despite winning the freakin' Orange Bowl, our prestige increased only 4 points. Jeez.

This year, I start recruiting in Ohio, not Michigan. I then head over to Indiana to scout a couple of recruits. I make crazy offers to two very high flight recruits that I do not expect to land, but you never know.

I spend the rest of the week calling up various receivers around the nation. SOme close, some far away, just to get our name out there.

And then we are back to the game. Stanford isn't easy. And it was a great game for TV.

71-65. FIVE overtimes for us to defeat Stanford. Whew!

Pat Pierce dropped NINE TD PASSES in the game. And three picks, but that's still a 3:1 ratio. 32 of 50 for 415 yards, 9 TDs, 3 Ints, sacked once.

Dang.

WR Kuntz had 145 yards and three TDs. WR Gonzalez had 119 yards in his debut for us. And a TD too. Shanks had 2 TDs, Corbitt caught another, Levine caught a TD, and TE Gilmore caught one. But the funny part?

Pat Pierce ran for our other TD on the day. HA!

DT Bo Willis notched a pair of sacks. Hoke and May picked off the opposition. DEs Lankford and Ross each had a sack and a half.

Today was EPIC. Instant Classic. ESPN Classic is airing it later this week. Great game.

The miracle was that we survived with no major injuries. Wars of attrition like that often end up in accidents.

Pat Pierce was named the NCAA Offensive Player of the Week!!!!

"Preseason #20 Tulane arrives in town to try and detrail the Eastern Michigan trainride. Eastern Michigan puts their undefeated streak on the line in one of their harest matchups of the season. Pat Pierce leads a high flying Eagle attack against the Green Wave, next, on TV4"

Week 2 - TULANE (we are favored by 6)

After last week, I'm tired. Let's recruit here in Michigan this week.

I make a few offers and then call up inside linebackers before hitting the Top 100 list and calling players who want to major in our best repuation subjects. Geology, this year, is our best subject.

I need to go to Pennsylvania next week, there look to be some very impressive recruits there.

And now Tulane. Another chance for another statement. We make more statements than a hooker caught massaging the balls of a local priest. And yet no one seems to care - certainly not the pollsters.

We knock out Tulane 45-20. Not such a chore after all.

Broderick Corbitt, who may have felt a little left out in the last game, asserted his personal space 25 times for 167 yards and 2 TDs. Pat Pierce added 2 TDs and another 3 picks. Stop tossing picks Pierce.

DE Ross had a trio of sacks. Nice. Frederick picked off Tulane.

Pat Pierce is doubtful for a month with a pulled groin. Welcome Artie Brown.

Week 3 - Bye

Recruiting in good ol' PA. Pennsylvania is a veritable cornucopia of talent this year. I'd love to harvest it.

Week 4 - Bye

Back to PA for a bit more shopping...er...scouting. After that a quick sweep through Illinois and on to Wisconsin. Then I hop over to New York and finish up. I'm done scouting the Great Lakes.

I call up safeties this week. No big movement on the recruiting front.

-Anxiety

Old 01-17-2004, 08:50 PM   #177
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Keep it up Anxiety. Though I'm not sure with your current squad you'll be able to get another undefeated season, looks like there's a lot of shakiness in that defense from your player summaries.

Thanks, I just hope so. My defense is a bit untrustworthy, but as always, my offense is my strength, and we'll lean on them hard. Never know what will happen.

-Anxiety

Old 01-18-2004, 10:09 PM   #178
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week 5 - at Buffalo (we are favored by 8)

We are #16 in the AP Poll, #17 in the Coach's Poll, which is good considering that we've been idle for two weeks, teams often drop early in the season by being idle. Probably due to the higher profile of the opponents we defeated as opposed to the typical MAC folks.

I still need to make offers to a RB, G and OLB. I head over to Missouri. From there it's through the Mid-West hitting various recruits that attract mny eye. I find a Guard in Kansas that I like, but he is currently visiting Kansas's campus, so I suspect he'll go there despite my offer of a scholarship.

Now the game against Buffalo. 28-14 Us.

Broderick Corbitt, 22 rushes, 148 yards, 1 TD, 5 catches,37 yards, 1 TD

Artie Brown, starting for hte injured Pat Pierce, launched 3 TDs and no picks on a good passing day. Nice to know I have other options.

DE Andy Ross has ACL damage to his knee and will be out for over half a year. Pat Pierce will be back next week.

Sophomore DE Blake Tanner will start for the remainder of the season.

Week 6 - YALE (3-1) (we are favored by 9)

I head into the recruiting this week with gusto. Let's find some Eagles!

This week I head over to the Mid-Atlantic region, beginning in Virginia, but I have a recruit in Delaware that I really want to look at.

I offer a few scholarships this week, and hopefully we now have a full slate of targets to try and swoon over the next couple of weeks.

And as for the game this week....

EMU 30
Yale 10

We won.

DE Carlton Lankford registered another Game MVP.

Broderick Corbitt rushed for a pair of scores although Pat Pierce, back from his injury and two bye weeks, tossed a pair of picks and an anemic 177 yards. Tracy Malone returned a pick for a TD, which meant that he received for more TDs on the day than our entire offense.

WR Rob Shanks, our best player receiver, is out for 7 weeks with a sprained back, and QB Artie Brown will return to the lineup as Pat Pierce reaggravated his previous injury.

-Anxiety

Old 01-18-2004, 11:03 PM   #179
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week 7 - CENTRAL MICHIGAN (we are favored by 32)

I head to the south - Alabama, Missippi, and such, looking for good receivers. I find one in Alabama that I offer a scholarship to and another in Missippi that I request a visit from.

After I finish my visit to the south and I make some phone calls, I begin to focus on the game this week. Central Michigan is not our toughest foe, but we can't ignore them either.

We win 31-6. DE Carlton Lankford was again our Game MVP with 3 sacks.

DT Bo Willis picked up another pair of sacks himself.

Backup DT Richard Thurgood picked up a fumble and returned it 51 yards for a score. Broderick Corbitt returned a punt 96 yards for a score. Our offense was stymied.

Broderick with 71 yards rushing and a TD. Artie Brown with 1 TD, no picks, but only 164 yards passing. Sure, we won, but we certianly didn't give a good effort out there today. Hard to believe that this could be a 5-0 team when you saw them in action.

There are no major injuries, but nobody is healed either.

Week 8 - at Kent State (we are favored by 29. Assuming that our offense shows up)

This week I spend all of my recruiting time calling and visiting recruits that we've already made offers to. We have 10 recruits visiting and five more with offers.

But, hey, do we care about the recruiting or the game?

42-21 us (and we are 6-0)

Game MVP - Broderick Corbitt, 30 rushes, 190 yards, 3 TDs

WR Dusty Kuntz caught 8 balls for 114 yards and 2 scores. DT Bo Willis had another pair of sacks. Smooth and steady....

OLB Alan Watson is doubtful for three weeks with a pulled groin. I pull him from the starting lineup until he is healed. OLB Pat Jenkins will start in his place until he is ready to play again.

We brought in our star RB recruit - number 43 overall in the nation. We have 11 recruits visitng this week between the acceptance from last week and a few refusals.

"Can the Eastern Michigan Eagles continue their MAC dominance against a surprisinbg Ball State club playing for a bowl berth and respect? Find out next as the Eagles fly into town to take on Ball State, this week, on TV4"

Copyright 2033

Week 9 - at Ball State (we are favored by 14)

I have to chase down some new DT candidates since all of our options either made commitments or narrowed their lists to 5, thereby excluding us. I travel to Colorado and Arizona and make offers to a pair of DTs there.

Other than that - phone calls and visits and more phone calls to our current peops.

And some game against Ball State. I hear that's important as well.

30-17 we emerge victorious.

Artie Brown tossed two TDs, no picks, and 277 yards. Gonzalez caught both TDs. Broderick Corbitt added a score on the ground to go with his 94 rushing yards.

Bo Willis? A pair of sacks. How steady is this man with his stats? Lankford had a sack and a half. Three picks by our defense to Pat Jenkins, Hoke and Boss.

Pat Pierce has been upgraded to probable, but I'll keep him out for now. Artie is starting to play well, and there's no rush since he aggravated his injury the last time he played.

"After defeating 4-3 Ball State on the road, the Eagles now have to travel to an equally 4-3 Northern Illinois. On the road. Can Eastern Michigan survive another road test? Will the unbeaten streak continue? Find out, next, on TV4"

Copyright 2033

Week 10 - at Northern Illinois (we are favored by 14. Again)

Last week, we brought in a very nice safety candidate. We lose out on the most studly of ILBs, however. Ah well. I scramble to find another ILB recruit in the states. I also call up all of my current recruits to see what's going down. Hopefully, we can bring in some more of the hosses that are still making decisions.

31-3 - EMU.

Broderick returned another punt 80 yards for a score. He had a 63 yard run for a score. And he recovered a fumble and advanced it 54 yards for a score. Add on Wade Hokes 40 yards interception return, and we scored every which way except by passing the ball.

Artie Brown went an amazing 9 of 20 for 76 yards.

Wade Hoke picked off the ball twice and Carlton Lankford registered 2.5 more sacks.

We have got to get Artie off the field, he's stinking up the joint!

Dusty Kuntz is out for a few weeks with a pulled quad muscle. Broderick is questionable for a week or so with a sprained knee. No other major injuries.

Pat Pierce, despite being probable, will start next week. We need him to.

We are currently ranked #9 overall, #9 in both polls, and #7 in the computer.

This week, we pulled in a QB, CB and K, but lost an attractive receiver candidate.

-Anxiety

Old 01-18-2004, 11:15 PM   #180
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Eagles Suffer Injuries

Dedrich Otto
Detroit Free Press
Sports Editorial

With several major injuries to their offense, MAC powerhouse Eastern Michigan University is forced to rely on backups and injured players to get the job done.

At the beginning of the season, much talk was made of the Eagles defense. They were maligned as the weak link in the previously invulnerable EMU win-loss column. The offense would need to step up.

With their number one quarterback out for several weeks and the backup playing poorly, you'd probably think that it's time to lean heavily on your running game. Your backup is benched for bad play and your injured starter is rushed back to play under center.

And that running back to lean on? Broderick Corbitt is listed as questionable for next week. Even if he plays, he will likely not be himself. Not exactly the person you want to rely upon in times of crisis.

So what about the receivers? Both Rob Shanks and Dusty Kuntz, the top two receivers on the depth chart, are injured and not playing. In a year when Eastern's receiver corps is at its weakest, two injuries have pushed backups into starting roles.

All of the talk about the defense being weak in proving about as reliable and broadcasts of doom at the turn of the century. Defensive Lineman Bo Willis and Carlton Lankford combine for 19 sacks in 8 games. Bo Willis is also two off the current MAC leader in Tackles For a Loss. CB Wade Hoke is third in the MAC with five interceptions.

And in 8 games, Eastern has returned three kickoffs and punts for TDs.

Much like a blind man's senses get better in the absence of sight, so to does the absence of an offense appear to improve their other units. The Eagles, despite their problems, are 8-0, and it's always hard to find a chink in that armor."

-Anxiety

Old 01-19-2004, 12:11 AM   #181
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"The battle of MAC powers begins now, on TV2, as 8-0 Eastern Michigan hosts 7-0 Western Michigan. It's a battle of crosstate rivals and undefeated teams with Eastern quarterback Pat Pierce back from injury. Pat the Eagles hope to dehoof the Broncos, next, on TV2"

Copyright 2033

Week 11 - WESTERN MICHIGAN (we are favored by 9)

Also playing this week is 8-0 Fresno State at 7-0 Hawaii on TV1. That's another game we are watching with high interest.

Recruiting is simple, we call up our recruits, find a few more, and keep on plugging.

This week's game is arguably our hardest of the season. If we win, despite injuries a plenty to key members of our offense, then we can make a statement. If we lose, then we might not even get to play in the MAC Championship with WMU currently being undefeated.

We have to win, that's all there is to it.

All that remains are two questions - do we have the talent, and do we have the execution?

34-3.

Yes, we do.

TE Richie Junker caught two TDs. Gino Gonzalez caught a third score, Broderick a fourth.

Yet, DE Carlton Lankford stole the show with 5.5 sacks!!!!! Game MVP. Boss had 3 forced fumbles, another good stat.

We jump to #7 AP Poll, #8 Coach's. #6 in the computer and #6 overall.

Fresno State beat Hawaii.

Unfortunately, we missed out on two recruits. Our recruiting is going just awfully.

Week 12 - BOWLING GREEN (we are favored by 27)

We hit a few recruits this week, and I find adequate receivers and an adequate guard. Even if we bring in every last recruit we currently have offers to, this has bee a dismal year in this department overall.

But we defeat Bowling Green 48-10, so that's a nice note.

Pat Pierce was our MVP with 6 TDs. Two to Junker, one each to Gonzalez (who had 103 yards on the day), Levine, Collier and walkon Nogas.

Hoke registered THREE picks. Lankford a sack and a half. Tanner a sack and a half.

RB Broderick Corbitt reinjured his knee, but he's still quesiontable so I'll start him for the season finale.

We are ranked #6 overall still. #5 AP, #6 Coach's, #6 in the computers. Another BCS bowl bid?

In recruiting, we bring in an ILB and DT, neither of which is that good.

"The hottest rivalry of one of the hottest teams in the country is the Eastern Michigan University - Toledo rivalry. The Eagles host the Rockets in the country's final regular season look at a dynasty in action. EMU and Toledo, today, on TV5"

Copyright 2033

Week 13 - TOLEDO (we are favored by 29)

Recruiting this week is simple. Let's go to the setup. Ohio State and Michigan are both 9-1 and ranked higher than us. They play each other on rivalry weekend. Also ranked higher is Penn State who is travelling to Michigan State.

We beat Toledo 45-14. Our Game MVP? CB Wade Hoke. One pick returned 58 yards for a score. 6 tackles. And a sack.

WR Wes "Career Backup" Levine caught 118 yards and 2 scores. Gino caught another score. Carlton Lankford recovered a fumble and rushed it in for a score.

We brought in a G, OLB and WR but another WR snubbed us and went elsewhere. Geez, I can't even pull in all of the bottom of the barrel prospects.

Michigan beat Ohio State and Penn State won, but South Carolina jumped past us in the rankings. We are still #6 overall, #4 in both polls (our highest polling ever!) and #5 in the computer. Yet, despite being #4 or 5 in every component, we are #6 overall. I suspect schedule of strength?

Ah yes, nasty schedule of strength. Maybe that will get better once we win the MAC Championship.

Week 14 - BYE

We just call a recruit or two.

All of the teams that we were watching this week won. Despite being idle and having all of the teams ahead of us win (except for idle Fresno State), we climb to #5 in the overall rankings as South Carlolina's schedule of strength falls

-Anxiety

Old 01-19-2004, 12:28 AM   #182
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Heh Anxiety looks like you may have moved into the part of the game when I usually start a new dynasty - when your team is basically unbeatable, you have a swarm of top recruits every year, etc. Only difference is it's happened to you quicker than it usually does to me.

Last edited by Peregrine : 01-19-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:29 AM   #183
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

THE MAC CHAMPIONSHIP:

10-1 Miami of Ohio comes into Ypsilanti ranked #11 in the Coach's Poll and #13 in the AP Poll. Miami will be pulling out all of the stops to try and avange a tough loss in the Championship game last year.

11-0 Eastern Michigan University is undefeated and #4 in both the AP and Coach's Poll. Eastern Michigan puts a 38 game winning streak on the line tonight, and they desperately needed Miami of Ohio to do well this season for their own needs. Defeating the best of the best is the only way to catapult yourself to the BCS Championship game known as the Fiesta Bowl!

Welcome to today's game, here on TV2!!!!!

MAC Championship MVP - WR Wes Levine. 7 catches for 136 yards and 2 TDs.

23-10 Eastern over Miami

OLB Perry May went down with an MCL injury. He's out long term.

Undefeated Kansas State lost to Oklahoma.

With our victory we jump to #3 in the AP Poll, #4 in the computer and....

Overall?????

Number.....

three. Once again, a 10-1 Michigan and a 11-0 Fresno State will meet in the Championship. Once again we fail to make the cut.

For us, it's 11-0 Virginia and the Orange Bowl.

(we brought in a receiver too)

-Anxiety

Old 01-19-2004, 12:30 AM   #184
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh Anxiety looks like you may have moved into the part of the game when I usually start a new dynasty - when your team is basically unbeatable, you have a swarm of top recruits every year, etc. Only difference is it's happened to you quicker than it usually does to me.

Except my recruits suck this year.

-Anxiety

Old 01-19-2004, 12:46 AM   #185
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The only other MAC team in the Bowls is Miami of Ohio who is going to the Motor City Bowl to face Arizona State.

Which they win 31-7.

Oh yeah,

THE ORANGE BOWL

Welcome our two undefeated teams Virginia and Eastern Michigan. It'll prove to be a fun match on TV2 tonight!

Virginia comes in #4 in the rankings with an 11-0 record. Unfortunately for Virginia, the ACC had a down year this year, and their biggest victory was against 7-5 Georgia Tech.

Eastern Michigan, at #3 in the rankings for the second straight year despite three back-to-back-to-back undefeated regular seasons, finds itself in the Orange Bowl yet again, which they won last year. The Eagles have defeated both of the other Top 25 MAC teams this year - Western Michigan and Miami of Ohio.

Both teams crave respect. The winner can claim that they belonged in the Fiesta Bowl with Fresno State. The loser will go home with a disappoint defeat instead of a rosy undefeated season.

Who will win and who will lose? The Eagles have been favored by four by the house, but that's why they play the game. Today, on TV1

WR Rob Shanks and Dusty Kuntz are both back for this game. Rob is healthy, Dusty is playing injured.

EMU 30
Virginia 45

Ick.

Here is the scoring summary:

Virginia TD. Virginia TD. Virgnia returns a pick for a TD. Virginia FG. 24-0 in the middle of the second quarter.

EMU - Dusty Kuntz catches a TD.

EMU Broderick Corbitt rushes for a score.

24-14 at the half.

Virginia TD, Virginia TD and its 38-14 in the third.

Dusty Kuntz catches a 58 yarder TD. Pat hits Gino for the 2 point conversion. 38-22 at the end of the third quarter.

Rob Shanks catches TD. Pat hits Broderick for a conversion. 38-30 with 8:25 left in the game. Just down by one touchdown!

5:16, Virginia pounds it in, TD.

45-30. Final score.

Rob Shanks, 171 yards receiving. Dusty, 101 yards receiving. Pat Pierce, 16 of 37 (wowsers), 290 yards, 3:3 ratio.

LB Perry Finch with a pick. Calrton Lankford with our only sack on the day.

Not the way I would have wanted to end the season, but a good season nonetheless.

-Anxiety

Old 01-19-2004, 11:13 PM   #186
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Fresno State beat Michigan 45-7. Dang. For the Heisman, I vote for RB B.J. Koch of Baylor, who rushed for 2022 yards and 22 TDs, caught 409 yards and 3 TDs. But some QB won instead, and BJ tied for third.

Season Awards:

All-American First Team:

P Emmanuel Buckley
CB Wade Hoke

All-American Second Team:

DE Carlton Lankford

All-American Academic Team:

ILB Percy Finch

All-American Senior Team:

P Emmanuel Buckley

MAC MVP:

RB Broderick Corbitt

MAC First Team:

RB Broderick Corbitt
P Emmanuel Buckley
K Carlos Page
DE Carlton Lankford
DT Bo Willis
ILB Percy Finch
CB Wade Hoke
S Joseph Frederick

MAC Second Team:

TE Richie Junker
WR Dusty Kuntz
G Monty James
T Charlie Maxwell
CB Ed Boss

MAC Academic Team:

FB Ernie Baxter
DE Carlton Lankford
DE Blake Tanner
DT Richard Thurgood
ILB Percy Finch
OLB Ernie Emery
S Scottie Cyrus

Interestinger and interestinger.

-Anxiety

Old 01-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #187
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A few stats:

QB Artie Brown, 5 starts, 1033 yards, 9:0 ratio, 59.2% rate, 143.2 rating
QB Pat Pierce, 8 starts, 2098 yards, 28:17 ratio, 56.9% rate, 138.3

It seems, form the stats, like both had decent years. Both also had tendancies to really stink up the occasional game. Pat had two games where he threw 15 TDs, in the other 6 starts, just 13 TDs. Artie would have similarly anemic games, and neither really stood out. They appear interchangeable. Next year, maybe one will start, maybe the other, or maybe we'll hand the reins to Horace or Gino if they develop well.

RB Broderick Corbitt, 260 rushes for 1186 yards, 14 TDs, 53 catches for 415 yards, 3 TDs, 2 PR TDs, 1 FR TD.

Does Broderick do everything? He led my team in receptions, returned two punts for TDs, recovered a fumble and ran it in for score all while leading the MAC in rushing. And he has two years of eligibility left. Definitely a quality sucessor to Vernon and Cornelius.

WR Dusty Kuntz, 8 starts, 51 catches, 792 yards, 9 TDs
WR Gino Gonzalez, 36 catches, 566 yards, 6 TDs
WR Rob Shanks, 7 starts, 31 grabs, 433 yards, 4 TDs
WR Wes Levine, 10 starts, 29 catches, 462 yards, 7 TDs
TE Richie Junker, 21 snatches, 264 yards, 4 TDs

Dusty was on his way to having a great season before he was injured. Wes Levine, despite coming on late, really disappointed as a starter. Gino had a decent enough year.

K Carlos Page, 14 of 18, 57 of 58 PAT
P Emmanuel Buckley, 81 punts, 3038 yards (avg of 37.5 yards/punt), 30 in 20

Carlos had a better year this year. As can be seen, he never had much of a need to kick the field goals. Despite starting all four years - 50 games, he only kicked 79 FGs. And this season was the best for us, worst for our kicker. 18 FG tries in 13 games? Pretty good for us. Bad for Carlos. Emmanuel led the NCAA in percentage of kicks inside the 20. He kicked the fifth most times for the second most distance. We punted a lot, that's interesting to me.

ILB Percy Finch, 83 tacks, 32 assts, 1.5 sacks, 19 TFL, 4 Ints, 9 PasDef, 1 FF, 1 FumRec
ILB Dixon Wingate, 57 tacks, 25 assts, 9 TFL, 1 Int, 3 PasDef
OLB Perry May, 48 tacks, 16 assts, 6 TFL, 1 Int, 3 PasDef
OLB Alan Watson, 9 starts, 28 tacks, 14 assts, 2 sacks, 6 TFL, 1 Int, 4 PasDef, 1 FF

Percy had a good, solid year, getting better at coverage than he normally is. Alan Watson seemed a little lost out there at times. It's okay, he's a sophomore. Bo Willis looked lost last year as a sophomore and this year he really turned it on. Perry May dissapointed a bit, I expected more of a pass rush.

DE Carlton Lankford, 50 tacks, 19 assts, 18.5 sacks, 25 TFL, 2 FF, 1 FR TD
DE Blake Tanner, 10 starts (backup originally), 22 tacks, 8 assts, 6.5 sacks, 8 TFL
DT Bo Willis, 51 tacks, 11 assts, 10.5 sacks, 21 TFL, 1 FF, 1 FumRec

Getting over 10 sacks as the nose tackle in a3-4 defense is simply extraordinary. I'd voted him in over those fancy 4-3 DTs and their padded stats for the All-American Team. Sixth best sack total for a DT in the nation and the top one behind a 3-4 defense. However, the All-AmericanTeam only selects one DT on each team, so all of the defenses that start two DTs really push the competition up. And Lankford had another great year, second in the nation in sacks, 4th DE in TFL. Really great two year career for Lankford.

CB Wade Hoke, 51 tacks, 11 assts, 1 sack, 5 TFL, 10 Ints, 2 Int TDs, 15 PasDef
CB Ed Boss, 39 tacks, 13 assts, 1 sack, 1 TFL, 3 Ints, 7 PasDef, 4 FF, 1 FumRec
S Joseph Frederick, 82 tacks, 28 assts, 1 sack, 14 TFL, 3 Ints, 5 PasDef, 2 FF, 1 FumRec
S Tyrus Bernstein, 65 tacks, 17 assts, 1 sack, 7 TFL, 6 PasDef, 2 FF, 1 FumRec

Our safeties were #2 and 3 on the team in tackles, respectively. But Wade Hoke just turned up the notch. When I was wanting him to be a shutdown corner, I had no idea that in two seasons, he would have 16 picks, have led the nation in interceptions in his second year starting, and would a consensus All-American corner. Dang.

C Anthony Armenta, 27 KRB, 3 SkA
T Charlie Maxwell, 27 KRB, 10 SkA
T Ralph Borders, 9 KRB, 4 SkA
G Monty James, 24 KRB, 6 SkA
G Brock Woody, 17 KRB, 5 SkA
TE Richie Junker, 6 KRB, 0 SkA

Did Ralph simply disappear in our blocking this year? Although he did have less blocking opportunities (32 KRO), he also had the lowest percentage of KRBs per KRO (28.1%). In fact, despite being on the field for less running plays and having many less KRO, TE Richie Junker had a higher percentage of KRB to KROs than did Ralph Junker.

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 12:07 AM   #188
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A few career stats for the EMU Wall of Fame:

DE Carlton Lankford, 91 tacks, 30 assts, 38 sacks, 51 TFL, 2 FumRec, 1 FR TD

Despite only starting two years, Carlton won All-American honors, was one of the nation's sack leaders for two years, and is the all time sack leader at Eastern with his 38 sacks. That's a pretty impressive career for the 684th ranked high school recruit. He really played outside himself, because he did not have this ability.

P Emmanuel Buckley, 275 punts for 9715 yards, 35.3 average, 76 inside the 20

We've only had a few All-Americans in my tenure here, and Emmanuel was one of them. He was pedestrian for a lot of his career, really turning it on in his senior season.

K Carlos Page, 63 of 79, 180 of 183 PAT, longest FG 57 yards

Our career FG leader. Also a really nice kicker. Definitely one of our better recruits over the years.

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #189
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

In recruiting, we brought in two very high profile recruits, and the rest is quite iffy:

QB Dexter Jefferson, Rhode Island, 70++, 67th Nationally, 13th Position, 1st State, 4.00 GPA
RB Terrell Waugh, Virginia, 90+, 43rd Nationally, 3rd Position, 3rd State, 3.06 GPA
WR Jon Grudich, Pennsylvania,45++, -----, -----, 73rd State, 3.55 GPA
WR Ryan Malone, North Carolina, 45+, -----, -----, 43rd State, 3.72 GPA
G Mitchell Nielson, Oregon, 47?, -----, -----, 14th State, 4.00 GPA
K Walt McGough, Connecticut, 87++, 151st Nationally, 8th Position, 2nd State, 3.80 GPA
DT Nathan Clayton, Connecticut, 56+, -----, 70th Position, 14th State, 3.80 GPA
ILB Willie Daniels, New York, 66+, -----, 65th Position, 65th State, 3.21 GPA
OLB Stanley Carnation, Virginia, 74++, 363rd Nationally, 14th Pos, 17th State, 3.34 GPA
CB Bob Dillon, Maryland, 85+, 234th Nat, 19th Pos, 10th State, 3.62 GPA
S Jared Varto, Ohio, 81++, 440th Nat, 22nd Pos, 18th State, 3.51 GPA

Apparently I had the New England connection going on this year. There do appear to be a few gems in there, S Jared Varto, CB Bob Dillon and OLB Stanley Carnation look pretty good right now. And, of course, we brought in another high profile quarterback, something we seem to do regularly around here. We may have brought in Broderick's replacement as well.

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 01:10 AM   #190
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The off-season:

I score:

Team Perform: 94
Academics: 62
Recruiting: 60
TV Revenue: 88
Alumni Donations: 61
Attendance: 83

Overall Score: 76

My recruiting blew, and yet I got a good score. Dang.

QB Gene Gleason left the team due to his bad grades and academic suspension last year. Also leaving was OLB Perry May due to his serious injury.

ILB Dixon Wingate is suspended for fighting.

I get a ton of job offers. I get offers from:

Florida State
Texas A&M
Georgia
New Mexico
San Diego State
Texas Christian
Tulsa
Hawaii
Bowling Green
Miami of Ohio
Idaho
Louisiana-Monroe
New Mexico State

Now I just need to ask myself a serious question - is it time to leave EMU? Have I outgrown the MAC? Have I not taken the Eagles as far as I possibly can? What else is there for me here? I must ruminate.

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 02:03 AM   #191
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Abe: Is it time for me to move on?

Ralph Mustang, Athletic Coordinator: I don't like you. But you've given us three great years of ball and you brought in two Top 100 recruits this year.

Abe: What else is there here?

Ralph: A championship.

Abe: I don't believe that I can get a championship at a MAC team.

Ralph: We've been ranked #3 twice now. How hard is it to crack into the top 2?

Abe: Hard. We'd have to try and schedule only the best of the best teams running around. We'd need respect in the polls, and our recent loss in the Orange Bowl may hurt us there. We'd need Western Michigan to continue to have great seasons, we'd need Yale to have a great year, we'd need the MAC East champion to have a great year. We'd need some other teams to lose a bit, especially Fresno State.

Ralph: Well then, you have a map to victory.

Abe: But schools like Texas A&M and Florida State are calling.

Ralph: Of course they are. Texas A&M and Florida State suck. They have history, they recruit in the middle of a paradise, and yet they suck. They want you to restore glory.

Abe: Georgia...

Ralph: Is probably the best of the lot. Good prestige, a tougher conference, low academic values, however. It's your decision, but seriously, if Georgia is the best that you can do....

Abe: Yeah, I know. But still.

Ralph: I think that you'll always have opportunities to jump ship. Why not wait untiil next year. One more BCS run?

Abe: Fair enough, one more run.

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 02:10 AM   #192
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have no new staff needs so I head to scheduling.

We need the best of the best. Fresno State? No dice. Stanford makes an offer. I agree to host Stanford this year and travel to Stanford next year. They've played here long enough.

Rice offers to come to EMU. Heh, no. How about Michigan? They reject my offer. Colorado offers me another game, and I refuse.

How about I change my strategy? I offer to travel TO Fresno State. Week 1.

They accept.

Eastern Michigan 2013 Schedule

Week 1 - at Fresno State
Week 2 - Bye
Week 3 - STANFORD
Week 4 - at Ohio
Week 5 - Bye
Week 6 - at Yale
Week 7 - CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Week 8 - MARSHALL
Week 9 - at Ball State
Week 10 - at Northern Illinois
Week 11 - at Western Michigan
Week 12 - Bye
Week 13 - BOWLING GREEN
Week 14 - TOLEDO
Week 15 - MAC Conference Championship

Circle the following weeks now boys and girls. Week 1 at Fresno State. Week 3 hosting Stanford. Week 6 at Yale. Week 8 hosting Marshall. And Week 11 at Western Michigan. Those are our tough games. All we need to do is clean up the trash in the other weeks, hold our serve against WMU, Marshall, Stanford and Yale, and upset Fresno State. We do that....

Well, who knows?

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 08:58 PM   #193
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A look at our starters:

RB Broderick Corbitt (1) - Pretty strong. I am happy that he's here.

TE Anthony Rosenberg (1) - Not much to look at but you never know.

WR Rob Shanks - Strong and solid receiver
WR Dusty Kuntz (1) - Very developed
WR Gino Gonzalez (2) - Not too bad, but not too good.

C Gary Foley (2) - Amazingly strong center who I have to hope is ready for action.
G Monty James (1) - Is Monty my best guard ever? Maybe
G Brock Woody (2) - Decent enough player who'll need to develop into a star.
T Charlie Maxwell (1) - Another great lineman.
T Keith Jeffries (2) - A decent enough tackle who, like Woody, needs to develop

P Tony Hanson (3) - I want to have his children.
K Trevor Capshaw (3) - Okay, but we'll see how the competition develops

DE Andy Ross - Developed senior presence on the line and my pass rushing specialist
DE Clyde Segal (2) - More of a run stopper, and a tad on the green side. He'll be replaced by Blake Tanner on passing downs.
DT Bo Willis (1) - My defense has started calling him the nigga in the midda.

ILB Charlie Cooley (3) - With graduating players and Dixon's suspension, Charlie is our one good LB left. And he'll be heavily relied upon despite his lack of experience.
ILB Roosevelt Forbes (2) - Not even adequate and definitely a weak spot.
OLB Alan Watson (2) - Looks great. Poised for greatness?
OLB Pat Jenkins - Nothing special, and in fact is a bit underdeveloped for his age and playing experience, so not the senior presence that I need. Alan will be relied upon as the old man of the bunch.

CB Wade Hoke (1) - Is he my best player? More chances for the man who already leads the Eagles all time in interceptions to make more of an impression.
CB Ed Boss - Returning the same corner tandem from last year.
S Tyrus Bernstein - Well developed and could have a breakout year in his final season with us.
S Scottie Cyrus (2) - Younger player will step into the starting role. He's already average but he could be much better.

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 09:03 PM   #194
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

And quarterback? Who will lead our team? Tough choice.

QB Artie Brown, 5th year senior, Scout rates him at 70 overall. Started 24 games. 38:26 TD:Int ratio. 127.5 rating lifetime. 5854 yards.

QB Pat Pierce, 5th year senior, Scout rates as 66 overall. Started 24 games. 65:39 ratio. 140.5 rating lifetime. 6190 yards.

QB Horace Bailey, Junior, Scout rates as 41 overall. Never started, quarterback of the future when Pat and Artie graduate. We could turn the keys over a year early.

Pat or Artie or Horace?

Hmmm

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 09:11 PM   #195
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"In Pat We Trust

Ryan Stinnett
Eastern Echo

Today Eagles Head Coach Abe Sargent announced that Pat Pierce would start at quarterback, despite a heavy competition. In case you've been living in a time warp, for the past four years, Pat and Artie have practically split the strating role, each having 24 starts.

Pat threw a lot more touchdowns, a lot more interceptions, and just 300 more yards in those 24 games. Artie, however, started 11 of those games as a true freshman, and thus the stats are a bit skewed.

Scouts and observers all felt that the two were very close, with Artie being just a bit ahead of Pat. Nevertheless, coach Sargent felt more comfortable with Pat as his starter than Artie.

Both have tendancies to throw bad games, and yet, Pat has a better chance of recovering. Last year, Pat threw for 9 Touchdowns in the season opener against Standofrd and 6 touchdowns later in the season in a single game.

In fact, Pat Pierce is the only Eastern Michigan Eagle to get the NCAA National Offensive Player of the Week Award since running back and Eastern's All-Time Leading Rusher Vernon Godfrey claimed it in his sophomore year.

Let us hope that Pat will lead us to greatness. He opens against Fresno State, and if he can open like he did last year, well, In Pat We Trust."

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 09:17 PM   #196
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our recruiting targets this year are:

QB
RB
TE
WR
C
G
T
DE
ILB x2
OLB x2
CB
S

I'll need to bring in a larger class this year because last year's class was both light and weak.

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #197
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"The Battle of the Century is about to begin. For the past three years, Fresno State and Eastern Michigan have had undefeated regular seasons. The only loss in the six seasons between them was Eastern's loss in the Orange Bowl last season. Now, the class of the NCAA is about the clash in a major way as the Eagles fly into town and try to pull off the upset of the season. The Eagles are ranked #11in the preseason polls, Fresno State #2. Who will survive the Game of the Year? Find out, on TV2"

Copyright 2033

Week One - at Fresno State (they are favored by two)

Our prestige has increased five points to an 82 overall. Nice I suppose, but you'd figure that a team as good as ours would have a much better prestige. Stupid MAC always bringing us down.

There are six Michiganders on the National Top 100 this year. I visit three that match up well with us.

And oh yes, for the first time in my life, there are recruits that IDOLIZE ME. I check them out a RB and a TE. A power running back and a receiving TE, neither with great grades. I don't even drive to visit them.

I do head into Ohio to visit a few more Top 100 recruits. Nice corner there. No recruits in Pennsylvania, Indiana or Illinois that I want to check out, so its Wisconsin for a tour of the last Top 100 recruits in the Great lakes region that I like. Nice pair of linemen there.

I decide to finish up the week recruiting in Wisconsin and I uncover a really nice TE ranked pretty lowly - number 727 in the nation. There's a better T here at 405th in the nation than one of the Top 100 guys I visited, so the trip to Wisconsin was worth it, if only for the nice additional recruits here.

I decide, after careful consideration, to offer a scholarship to the TE. He looks great, has amazing grades, and there's no need to dick him around trying to find better.

I make an offer to a Guard, one of the Top 100, from just 37 miles away in a suburb of Detroit. He is looking for academic and distance. He's nice looking so I offer him a scholarship. He does idolize Michigan, but if they don't come a calling, he can play five miles down the road.... Again, no sense dawdling.

I also offer a scholarship to that outstanding corner in Ohio. There's a lot of schools in Ohio, and you never know who will be interested in him, but I want to lay claim.

In the meantime, I call up some linebackers from around the nation to get my name out there and find out what their priorities are.

Next up, a major game.

Look, I won't mind in we lose, heck, I have expect to. But if we have dreams of a greater game, a higher destiny, this is the road lain before us. We need to travel it.

I tweak our game plan just a bit. We match up very well to Fresno State, I think. We just haver to bitch smack their QB around a bit and we'll be fine.

Well, that was the PLAN.

The good news is that no player was seriously injured, so at least we can prepare for the rest of the season.

The Defensve Player of the Week for the NCAA was Fresno State Defensive Tackle Todd Preston with 9 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 assists and a forced fumble. Instead of us going after their QB, it appears they went after ours.

At least it was an overtime game. The second straight season opener that went into OT. Broderick Corbitt plunged it in from the one early in the first and we went up 7-0. Fresno State marched right down the fild and reciprocated. A bit of field position battles were fought in thr rest of the half. In the early fourth quarter, the defensive battle ended as Broderick put us up by 7 with a 64 yard scamper for a TD. Fresno State returned the kickoff well but was helf to a FG. They then held us, and we punt. They march down the field and score 17-14 Fresno State with 1:08 left on the clock.

And then it begins. Five plays, 70 yards. Capped by a FG as time expires for OT.

We start with the ball and Dwayne Humphrey catches the first TD in overtime.

The only TD in overtime as Fresno State FAILS TO SCORE IN OVERTIME.

24-17 Eastern. Rock On!!!!!

Game MVP? Broderick Corbitt, 30 rushes for 194 yards, 2 TDs. This is, arguably, the best win in franchise history. Knocking off the #2 ranked team in the nation on the road? A team with 48 straight wins, looking for number 50 in just two weeks?

This was momentous.

Momentous. K Capshaw missed a FG or else we would never have been in OT.

I feel spent.

Week 2 - Bye

Last week's victory over Fresno State catapulted us in the polls, but that always happens at the beginning of the season when teams win. Let's see how things shape up after a few weeks.

I hit the Michigan trail. I'll look for a few players and take the usual route - Ohio, Illinois by way of Indiana, Pennsylvania.

I find a very talented ILB just 59 miles away and looking good in the playing field. I decide to offer him a scholarship hoping that he is far enough down on the radar (#609 overall) that he'll come to me quickly.

I find another ILB candidate in Columbus, Ohio that I really like. I offer him a scholarship as well. Currently, my competetion is Bowling Green and Air Force. I think that I can fight them off, although he does idolize OSU, so if they come around....

Another find is a nice runner just 41 miles away but across the border. He idolizes U of M. Still, he's pretty good, the competition is currently light, so maybe I can persuade him to come Ypsilanti way. I offer a scholarship.

I start dialing receivers. Maybe we can find some nice ones.

I decide, after making some calls, to make my New York/New England trip next week to take a look at several receivers and a tackle.

-Anxiety

Old 01-20-2004, 11:33 PM   #198
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow, way to go! Huge clutch win against Fresno State on the road! Maybe this is the kick-start EMU needs to finally start getting some respect.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:18 AM   #199
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"In a continuing rivalry of growing proportions, Stanford travels to Eastern Michigan to battle once again for supremacy. Last year, it took five overtimes to decide a victor. Who will win this time? The number 5 and number 6 teams in the overall rankings battle this week, on TV4"

Copyright 2033

Week 3 - STANFORD (we are favored by 2)

I head out to New York for some old time recruiting. I then travel to Connecticut and Rhode Island,m but we may need to return inthe future for more recruiting. In the meantime, I find several attractive receivers. I make scholarship offers to two of them.

I also make an offer to a tackle, but he's visitng Penn State already, so I don't think that I have much of a chance with him.

I find a decent enough DE waiting around for someone to make him an offer. I do so.

Using my extra calls, I contact some outside linebackers.

And then it's on to the game. Another major fight, but we need these. Some of our fellow MAC teams - Marshall and Western Michigan, have already lost. We need to win and have Stanford do well. At least Fresno State won last week.

We win 47-34.

Again, no injuries more serious than probable.

Game MVP - Broderick Corbitt. 133 yards on 23 carries, 2 TDs, 76 yards receiving on 6 catches.

Pat Pierce launched a pair of TDs riding on 360 yards. Rob Shanks caught 102 of those yards and the two scores, Dusty Kuntz 101 yards.

A recent publication said that Eastern had the best starting receivers in the country. They proved it today.

LB Roosevelt Forbes picked off Stanford and ran it 6 yards for a TD. Bo Willis had our only sack of the day.

Week 4 - at Ohio (we are favored by 6)

We are only favored by 6? We beat Stanford by 13, but they think we'll only win here by 6. Ohio is 0-2. There's no threat here. We need to make a statement and put away this prissy MAC team.

Three of our recruits are visiting this week, the TE and two ILBs. Good, good.

I phone each of them just to remind them that we are interested.

And then back to New England. I unearth an OLB TREASURE and offer him a scholarship. He's brokenly good looking.

From there it's on to Illinois where I unearth another great OLB. I offer him a scholarship as well.

A very productive week as I found several good candidates, made a few offer, sand found some backup plans at other positions. Of my goals, I still need to make offers to a QB, C and S. I found good S and QB options, but I want to try to find somethin more next week.

The game this week shouldn't be too stressful after our last pair of games, but our boys have to guard themselves against sloppy play. On the raod, sloppy play will get you killed.

So luckily we won. 35-14.

Broderick Corbitt simply let loose. 26 carries, 272 yards, 3 TDs, 7 catches, 86 more yards, another TD. Broken.

Dusty Kuntz with another 101 yard day. Rob Shanks caught the other TD. Bo Willis had 10 tackles.

The NCAA announced their Offensive Player of the Week - Broderick Corbitt!!! Alright.

We are third in the overall rankings, third in the computers, but 11 in the AP Poll and 8 in the Coach's Poll. First time we have ever been ranked higher in the Coach's Poll than the AP Poll.

Week 5 - Bye

Fresno State is 2-1 and ranked #5 in the Coach's Poll. The better Fresno State does, within reason, the better that we'll do.

The three major teams left on our schedule all won, helping our strength of schedule. It'll diminish as we wade our way through the MAC part of our schedule, so we need the islands of mercy that Marshall and Western Michigan can provide.

This week, Western Michigan and Miami of Ohio face off. Not a good thing, because both have one loss. I am rooting for WMU and another MAC East team to emerge for the Championship Game, but that is less likely to happen. Miami of Ohio is favored by 15 and they are hosting the game. I don't want a damaged WMU, but I may to get it.

Four recruits are visitng us this week. One of our OLBs has added us to his list. I call each of them up.

I head to Kentucky and Tennessee to review a pair of safety recruits. I even take a quick jaunt down to Florida. On my way back, I stop in Georgia for a few trips and I find a really nice center, who I make an offer to.

I call up a QB recruit in North Carolina that I am interested in. He says that he's availale and no major institution has made him an offer. I spend my last time and money to swing by his place and hcek chim out. He is tremendously better than my scout said, and I make him an offer right on the spot.

I decide to make an offer to the Kentucky safety when I get home and review my notes. I now have an offer out to every one of our goals - 15 players.

Miami of Ohio crushed WMU and Marshall stands victorious.

Week 6 - at Yale (we are favored by 14)

We have six visitors - a RB and WR join our group. Our beautiful corner recruit chose Ohio State and we need to find a replacement.

I call up some of my recruits and remind them of why I am such a good catch. Then it's off to find a corner.

This is my only major task on the road this week, so I can go anywhere I please. I find my corner at my first stop, in Pennsylvania.

I decide just to do some general scouting. I head to Minnesota, Iowa, and then to Missouri where I find a Top 100 recruit, a tackle, not having a single offer. I change that as soon as I verify that he looks really good. It's perfect because the New York Tackle is visiting three schools, but not us. It's likely he won't even come, and here is this great Tackle that falls in front of us. Amazing.

Marshall plays Miami of Ohio at Miami of Ohio. I'm obviously rooting for Marshall.

Ohio State lost last week to Minnesota. That's good because Ohio State was number one in the polls and the rankings. We fall because we were idle to#4 overall, but hopefully a victory over our Ivy League Rival Yale will help us.

28-13 over Yale. We beat the spread by one at least.

Some bum named Broderick Corbitt rushed for 134 yards on 21 carries for a TD. SOme bum named Corbitt caught 6 balls for 91 yards.

Pierce tossed 3 TDs. Yay! And 4 Picks. Boo! and 331 yards. Yay! But no 100 yard receivers. Boo!

Hoke and Boss each got a pick, no sacks.

Miami of Ohio edged Marshall, 41-34. WMU lost to Notre Dame.

Now, with six weeks under the season, we can look at ranings seriously:

#10 AP Poll, #7 Coach's Poll, #3 Computer, #5 rankings.

Not too bad, but we don't have many big games left in our schedule, we need other teams to falter.

And we bring in our first recruit - a RB.

-Anxiety

Old 01-21-2004, 12:18 AM   #200
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow, way to go! Huge clutch win against Fresno State on the road! Maybe this is the kick-start EMU needs to finally start getting some respect.

One can only hope!

-Anxiety