Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What would you like to see as the next Solecismic offering?
FOF7 79 33.19%
TCY2 104 43.70%
Baseball 17 7.14%
Basketball 4 1.68%
Hockey 14 5.88%
Political Sim 16 6.72%
Another Card Game or Games 1 0.42%
Something Else (Specify) 3 1.26%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #151
Logan
Head Coach

If anyone gives the baseball game a shot, I'm confident you'll find it plenty deep. The site staff is constantly issuing updates and changes to the sim engine which helps make the game more realistic.

I'd say we should create a FOFC world, but honestly, my one team is all I can handle.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #152
Raiders Army
Coordinator

After thinking about it a little, do you think we're too hard on Solecismic? In a way, we're comparing Solecismic to EA Sports. Isn't there even a huge difference between FM/WSM and FOF in the development staff?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that FOF/TCY is what it is. I would be very surprised if any changes in a new version were anything but incremental due to the one man development team. This isn't to downplay the changes and improvements to FOF over the years; they've been very good. The thing is that with a one-man team, the game will always be limited in scope and ability. If Jim were to open Solecismic up to other programmers, maybe you would see something different. He has gotten help with the graphics in the past, so you never know...

I'm not a fanboy, but I think that we should have realistic expectations based on the one-man team.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #153
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
After thinking about it a little, do you think we're too hard on Solecismic? In a way, we're comparing Solecismic to EA Sports. Isn't there even a huge difference between FM/WSM and FOF in the development staff?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that FOF/TCY is what it is. I would be very surprised if any changes in a new version were anything but incremental due to the one man development team. This isn't to downplay the changes and improvements to FOF over the years; they've been very good. The thing is that with a one-man team, the game will always be limited in scope and ability. If Jim were to open Solecismic up to other programmers, maybe you would see something different. He has gotten help with the graphics in the past, so you never know...

I'm not a fanboy, but I think that we should have realistic expectations based on the one-man team.

No. He chooses to do things as one man team, he chooses to not listen to customer input, he chooses to neglect MP and he chooses to make data extremely closed so that the internet community has to jump through hoops to create league websites.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #154
wade moore
lolzcat

Definitely agree with you RA. I think this thread took one of those odd FOFC turns where we're really not talking specifically about Solecismic anymore.

That being said - if Jim puts out another football game (college or pro) I plan on buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #155
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
No. He chooses to do things as one man team, he chooses to not listen to customer input, he chooses to neglect MP and he chooses to make data extremely closed so that the internet community has to jump through hoops to create league websites.

I think you're being a little overly harsh here. That being said, your overall points stand at least a little bit, but I think you underestimate some of the times that Solecismic has listened to customer feedback and made improvements, etc.

That being said - there's certainly a lot of room to grow.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #156
st.cronin
General Manager

However well GLB has done so far does not remotely prove that its model is sustainable over the long term.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #157
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
However well GLB has done so far does not remotely prove that its model is sustainable over the long term.

It proves there is a market out there for web-based fictional/fantasy sports simulations. More than likely it will be sustainable and stay popular until something better comes along.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #158
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Agreed. I think the WhatIfSports model is a little more proof and it seems to be doing quite well.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #159
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Are you even reading the posts? No one is suggesting that it is.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #160
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I think you're being a little overly harsh here. That being said, your overall points stand at least a little bit, but I think you underestimate some of the times that Solecismic has listened to customer feedback and made improvements, etc.

That being said - there's certainly a lot of room to grow.

I generally post exaggerations. I have also tried to note many times that I have, at best, anecdotal knowledge of the inner (and outer) workings of FOF. I do, however, have some (very, very limited) interaction with Solecismic and I read the FOF threads on occasion and this is the opinion I have developed. I think the key here would be that the elements I care about he has not, to my knowledge, listened to customer feedback.

It would also seem that you're only disputing one of my points.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #161
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Ok, I'll be the idiot here who has to ask...

What is GLB?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #162
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
Ok, I'll be the idiot here who has to ask...

What is GLB?

Goal Line Blitz, an online multiplayer football game that some of us are playing.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #163
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If anyone gives the baseball game a shot, I'm confident you'll find it plenty deep. The site staff is constantly issuing updates and changes to the sim engine which helps make the game more realistic.

I'd say we should create a FOFC world, but honestly, my one team is all I can handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
In some other thread I talked about my Whatifsports.com dynasty team...that's one of the scouting features. While guys are young, the projected ratings you see are a function of how much you've spent on scouting. When most players hit 27-ish, current and projected ratings match up and everyone sees the same ratings. You also have some separation between the ratings in the cases of players who never had the opportunity to "develop" or encountered injuries that prevented them from reaching their potential.

A bump and a question...a few of you seemed interested in WIS.com and the baseball game. Not sure if the interest was in the model (for the purpose of this thread) or the game itself. My league's 6th season (my 4th) is beginning today. Would people be interested in a dynasty thread where I'd first describe how the game works and then track my team's results over the course of the season?

One of the cool things about the game is the developers have implemented really easy links to post player profiles (either by a text link or a picture with a clickable link as you see below) to blogs and message boards. So I can show you my stud young OF, Devon Decker:

Devon Decker
Norfolk
Nomads
Born: Glencoe, ON
Position(s): 1B/COF/DH
View Hardball Dynasty Profile

Anyway, I'm not much of a dynasty writer but if people want to learn about the game, I'll do my best to keep it updated and post plenty of links to follow (if someone can't see this, or click through the link and be able to access ratings, stats, awards, etc, let me know -- I don't think you need to be logged in to access them).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #164
Emiliano
College Prospect

TCY 2, for sure.