Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #151
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
On the playcall screens, some plays can be set up by your previous playcalling. If you've run a lot, it can set up a playaction pass. You'll notice under certain plays that it says "play is now 27% set up" or something like that.

That is a sweet feature.........I wish I could incorporate that into a real game, I would be Coach of the year
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #152
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, that sounds kinda cool.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #153
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My only concern with that is no OL or DL. That was a big problem last year. Are the lines OK years down the road?

In the top 100 there are:

5 QB
9 RB
1 FB
10 WR
7 TE
4 OT
5 OG
3 OC
4 DE
4 DT
6 OLB
5 MLB
16 CB
6 FS
7 SS
1 K
1 P
6 ATH

I might've miscounted but that's this class. Looking at all rosters there is a solid (20ish) guys each in the 90's across all the OL's.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #154
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'll sim another season and post the next recruit class later on.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #155
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'll sim another season and post the next recruit class later on.

I think your first numbers look pretty good, a little heavy on the DB's but not terrible in terms of OL quality.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #156
wade moore
lolzcat

I asked this in the MP forum, I'll ask here.

Is recruiting unplayable without the DLC? My impression was that things we relied on in the past wouldn't be there without getting the DLC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #157
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Going into the 6th season, here is first a breakdown on the top ranked players per positon:

QB: 95 (1)
RB: 99 (1)
FB: 98 (1)
WR: 98 (1)
TE: 95 (1)
LT: 97 (1)
LG: 96 (1)
C: 99 (2)
RG: 99 (1)
RT: 99 (3)
LE: 99 (1)
RE: 99 (1)
DT: 99 (4)
LOLB: 99 (2)
MLB: 99 (3)
ROLB: 99 (1)
CB: 99 (1)
FS: 98 (2)
SS: 99 (1)
K: 89 (2)
P: 89 (3)

Just 4 teams are at an A+ now, and still only 1 player has 99 SP.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #158
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Recruiting Top 10

#1 - OG
#2 - DT
#3- CB
#4 - WR
#5 - MLB
#6 - WR
#7 - OG
#8 - MLB
#9 - HB
#10 - WR
Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #159
DeToxRox
Head Coach

# of Top 100 Per Position

QB - 3 (1 5*)
RB - 13 (6 5*)
FB - 0
WR - 8 (5 5*)
TE - 4 (2 5*)
OT - 5 (1 5*)
OG - 7 (5 5*)
OC - 2 (0 5*)
DE - 6 (1 5*)
DT - 8 (4 5*)
OLB - 8 (1 5*)
MLB - 5 (3 5*)
CB - 16 (6 5*)
FS - 3 (2 5*)
SS - 6 (1 5*)
K - 2 (0 5*)
P - 0
ATH - 3 (0 5*)
Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #160
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also to note, there were 0 A+ SPD players, and only 5 A SPD guys.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #161
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I asked this in the MP forum, I'll ask here.

Is recruiting unplayable without the DLC? My impression was that things we relied on in the past wouldn't be there without getting the DLC?

I'm wondering this too, Wade.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #162
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

from what I understand, all the recruiting stuff is ADD-ON, the advisor gives you additional information, the extra pipeline state, etcetera
Old 07-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #163
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm wondering if the recruiting stuff that was in the game last year is still there.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #164
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I'm having no trouble recruiting. You can search by players who have you listed as their top school, top 3, top 5, top 10. You call to find out what pitch they care about, and you're also able to "quick-call" and choose how long you talk which will affect how many pitches you learn about.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #165
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
I'm having no trouble recruiting. You can search by players who have you listed as their top school, top 3, top 5, top 10. You call to find out what pitch they care about, and you're also able to "quick-call" and choose how long you talk which will affect how many pitches you learn about.

Can you see the listing of their top 10 schools, in order, with the interest level bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #166
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yep
Old 07-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #167
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I did a test last night. I created a RB with 99 speed to see if I could dominate a game like in 09. In 09, I have a 70 rated RB on New Mexico St. with 97 speed. He averaged 10 yards a carry and would decimate even top ranked defenses.

Correct

Quote:
Stats: 31 carries, 142 yards, 2 TDs. A dominate game, but no where near the whacked out stats you could get in 09. Only 1 run went for over 20, and that was a 30 yard run.

Not correct

(Ok, I'll go away now. I've never understood this grammar error- they're completely different parts of speech, one being a verb and one an adjective)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #168
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Correct

Not correct

(Ok, I'll go away now. I've never understood this grammar error- they're completely different parts of speech, one being a verb and one an adjective)

SI

Dominate/dominant...not quite a homophone, but close. My guess is that people hear the words on TV, but haven't read them anywhere to actually see the difference.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #169
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Correct

Not correct

SI

#1 reason I try to reread things before posting. That time I obviously didn't since it doesn't even sound right! Nice catch.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #170
Kodos
Resident Alien

But not a dominate catch.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #171
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Correct

Not correct

SI

I just about 'loose' my mind when I see this one.

You know you've seen the loose/lose too may times when you see someone actually using 'loose' correctly and you automatically read it as 'lose'. The interwebs are messing with my reading practices.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #172
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Need help remembering...NCAA currently counts a sack as a rush attempt for the QB or is it strictly a SACK and not a rushing attempt (which would be positive or a running play tackled for a loss).

Thanks! Trying to determine how many minute quarters to use and I'm not sure if sacks are already being counted as QB rush attempts.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #173
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Need help remembering...NCAA currently counts a sack as a rush attempt for the QB or is it strictly a SACK and not a rushing attempt (which would be positive or a running play tackled for a loss).

Thanks! Trying to determine how many minute quarters to use and I'm not sure if sacks are already being counted as QB rush attempts.

A sack counts as a rush attempt and minus rushing yards for the yards lost on the play.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #174
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

So a QB could have 100 rush attempts and 32 sacks against. He could NOT have 32 sacks against and 18 rush attempts or something like that right? Rushing attempts must always be greater than or equal to rushing attempts for QB?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #175
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
So a QB could have 100 rush attempts and 32 sacks against. He could NOT have 32 sacks against and 18 rush attempts or something like that right? Rushing attempts must always be greater than or equal to rushing attempts for QB?

The way I understand the rules, that's correct. Intentional grounding even counts as a rushing attempt and yards lost based on where the penalty occurred.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #176
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Well, simmed a season and Michigan ran 1,213 plays including pass attempts, rush attempts, FG attempts and punts. That comes out to be just over 93 plays a game. Still seems high unless there have been some changes to way NCAA is calling games this year. This is the only team I have checked.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #177
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Georgia Tech ran just under 84 plays per game going 9-4. Michigan went 8-5 btw.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #178
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Eastern Michigan 83 plays per game going 2-10. Seems to be a bit high, but honestly as long as my games I'm playing match, I'm cool with things. Chalk it up to some fictitious rule change made by the NCAA. Not a gamebreaker that's for sure, at least to me it isn't.

This has all been post patch #1.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #179
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Other misc findings after perusing stats from one simmed season (for use with slider adjustments):

Shouldn't see a QB averaging 2 INT's a game. 21 led the nation.

Completion % for QB's topped out with one player at 70% (Heisman winner from Central Michigan)

RB's shouldn't average more than 1 fumble per game. One player had 13.

Seems RB's shouldn't be breaking more than 4 tackles per game.

WR's should not average more than 1 drop per game. Leader had 11.

OL should not be over 4 pancakes per game. Looks like 3.75 or so would lead the nation (estimate).

As mentioned earlier, LB's are the leading tacklers! wOOt!

Top 5 TFL are from DL!

12 sacks lead the nation?!?!? Seems low or no?

8 INT's lead nation, a handful of guys with 7 (as reporter earlier)

21 deflected passes led the nation.

7 was # for individual forced fumbles (careful with that "force fumble" gameplan!). Most recovered by a team was 18, twice.

22 touchbacks led for K's. I guess if you're knocking two into the endzone or more a game, you DEFINITELY need to lower your kickoff sliders (check your K's leg strength too though).

P with the highest average was 44.9. 4 players were over 44 yards on average. Longest P was 92 yards WTF?!?!?

Not too shabby. Hopefully these help a few people in figuring out their sliders before starting a dynasty.

I wish EA would develop a system like OOTP, where you could set the number of "x" you'd like to see in a season. That way the game could play up to that standard. Taking things further, your game could automatically adjust the settings to your gameplaying ability to MATCH these pre-determined settings. I know Madden sort of tried this, but without any rationale to keep the output in line, it worked average at best.

50 sacks was the most by any one defense.

27 INT's was the most by a defense.

163 penalties for 1,275 yards was the highest. 13 games played for this team (12.5 penalty avg, 98 yards avg)

85 penalties and 683 yards was the lowest (2 different teams). 12 games for each. (7 penalties avg, 57 yards avg)

41 giveaways (13 games) were the most by a team. 8 was the fewest (12 games).

40 takeaways (13 games) were the most by a team. 10 was the fewest (12 games).

Turnover DIFF was high of 17 and a low of -22.

I hope these are useful to someone! Happy slider adjusting!

Last edited by Mike Lowe : 07-17-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
12 sacks lead the nation?!?!? Seems low or no?

Not to me. 2008 real-life leader (Jerry Hughes-TCU) was 15 last year, one player had 14, one at 13.5, two at 13. but all of those were in 13 games, so 12 seems pretty reasonable.

Quote:
P with the highest average was 44.9. 4 players were over 44 yards on average. Longest P was 92 yards WTF?!?!?

Real life record is 99 yards, so that's just one fluky bounce if it happens only once in a few years

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-17-2009 at 05:46 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #181
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Some very early impressions (i.e. after just 1 game):

- Some people think it is harder than last year and some easier. I definitely think it is harder. I can't remember ever getting beat last year on All-American without sliders heavily favoring the CPU. For my first game, I always play USC vs UCLA or ND. I figured I wanted a challenge, so I went with ND. They just beat me 23-20 with 7 minute quarters on default All-American.

Here are some key stats:

Corp was 16 of 27 for 168 yards with 0 TD's and 1 INT before he was hurt.

Mustain was 2 of 3 for 72 yards and a TD as he connected on a bomb to Johnson as time was expiring.

Clausen was 21 of 34 for 261 yards with 1 TD 1 INT.

All of the QB's were a bit too accurate in my opinion, but that should be easily fixable with the sliders that are being reported on OS.

- The WR/DB interaction is a thing of absolute beauty - best I've seen in any EA game. It's great seeing both parties really fight for the ball. I also love seeing some of the WR's stumbling and slipping as they are jostled at the line of scrimmage. When ducks are thrown, which I threw a few as I was being hit, it is great seeing all of the players in the area fighting to get back to the ball.

ND's HB had 18 carries for 65 yards. I've heard some criticism of the CPU run game on default, but that doesn't seem bad at all against my USC defense.

McKnight was tearing it up until he got hurt for 11 weeks on his 7th carry (sadly, that seems realistic.) He had 7 carries for 63 yards. Gable came in and had 17 carries for 71 yards and a TD.

- The running game I thought was nicely done on both sides. I love how guys fight for yardage now after initial contact and sometimes get clocked doing it.

Big WR's actually seem to be valuable as it seems like (and from what I read there is a magical weight which I won't post in case people don't want to see it) there are some special power back/receiver animations for when they have the ball. As a result, my big TE had 2 very nice plays where he got himself an extra 5-10 yards. Speaking of my TE, he was my leading receiver with 6 catches for 106 yards. He had 60 yards on one play where they came with an all out blitz and he was wide open down the middle of the field, but their faster corners tracked him down and tackled him from behind. I don't think that would have happened last year.

- Pursuit angles are much better. Not perfect, but much better and I'm happy with how they are now. College players shouldn't always take a perfect angle.

Speaking of which, differences between guys in the secondary are really noticeable. Taylor Mays is a beast in this game. He's outrun everyone on USC's team in practice and they gave him the highest speed rating of any USC player in this game. He is a blast to control, so fast and such a fierce hitter. He led my team with 10 tackles and had 2 passes defended. Linebackers were 2nd and tied for 3rd with 7 and 6.

Not too many pancakes from the OL

- The CPU didn't try to run any stupid zone read option with Clausen.

- Speaking of which, I think they jobbed Corp of some speed, but it was much harder to run with a decent speed QB this game. I'm going to try a game controlling Pryor next to see how different his passing and running feel.

- The CPU sacked me a few times, but the pass rush felt weak most of the game. I'm looking forward to jacking that up once the slider patch is released for the 360.

- I was disappointed that USC's playbook was almost exactly the same as in 09.

I'm just happy to have seen a real defensive struggle for most of the game with only a few big plays and a fun challenging game. Now, I'm looking forward to trying out Pryor even though I'm sure I'll feel dirty afterwards.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-18-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #182
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Just picked this up. Anyone up for a game?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #183
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Created an FOFC room if anyone wants to play.

Edit: password is trout

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 07-17-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #184
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

damn, Pissed I missed out on the S8 style dynasty, anyone want to do an Army-Navy one or other such small college one?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #185
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Fun game between Ohio State and Michigan. I thought Pryor was a bit too accurate on the short passes, but he was terrible when I threw it long. He had one long TD run of 52 yards, but after that they kept a spy on him on almost every play and generally contained him. He finished with 16 carries for 101 yards and a TD as well as 10 of 19 passing for 135 yards with 0 TD's and 1 INT (have to be very careful about throwing when getting hit.) Ended up winning the game 38-32 after a high scoring first half that had us up 31-29.

I like that they made it so the icons disappear when you drop back too far, which I forgot was in the game until it happened. I also like the different camera angles on roll outs that make it harder to see the opposite side of the field when you roll out to one side too far.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #186
gstelmack
Pro Starter

On the perfect weight thing, how about a spoiler tag?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #187
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sure.

Spoiler
Old 07-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #188
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Does the right stick make the DL use either the finesse or strength move based on which he is higher rated?

Last edited by Grammaticus : 07-18-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #189
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Does the right stick make the DL use either the finesse or strength move based on which he is higher rated?

I believe the instruction manual said it made him do different moves based on which direction you press and hold. I think it does spin moves to either side if you press that direction and if you press down it does a power move. I forget what it does when you press up.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #190
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Lanteri87 should have 360 rosters done by this afternoon or evening. He is just giving every player their correct name. He isn't editing ratings, adding missing players, or anything else.

"EPIC BBQ" is adding (and subtracting) players, re-rating a few players, correcting numbers and such as well as naming them. However, there are some posts in a thread on OS that imply that the group is getting burnt out and may stop midway through. Right now, they have done a little over half of the teams.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-18-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #191
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks EF.. then I can at least get a few games in before waiting on the patch next week. (hopefully)
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #192
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

DLowery on OS who is leading the "EPIC BBQ" set has said they are still working on them and the group of them are "moving fast, be excited" so maybe those rosters will be out this weekend as well.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #193
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Just been doing some reading on OS about player progression in Dynasty. There's a lot of moaning about how players progress too quickly combined with the fact that the default rosters have freshmen rated pretty highly already. But the potentially most helpful thing I read had to do with the importance of the Awareness rating over and above the Overall. I'm going to see how much of a difference favoring the high AWR makes when it comes to who I play and who I recruit. Sounds like the poster who made the point might be on to something...
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #194
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Lanteri87 has about 8 more teams left to do.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #195
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Only two teams left and there are about 2400 people viewing the NCAA forums over at OS.

If those users bought the game, that's $144,000 right there. What is that like 1% of their sales?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-18-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #196
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Only two teams left and there are about 2400 people viewing the NCAA forums over at OS.

If those users bought the game, that's $144,000 right there. What is that like 1% of their sales?

I think the last version sold a little over a million copies. If that is correct, it would be less than 0.25% of their sales. Still, that is the most I've ever seen on OS at one time. I'm looking forward to downloading the rosters and starting my dynasty in the morning.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #197
DeToxRox
Head Coach

People who DL'd Lanteri's rosters to see how they stood aren't very receptive. I personally haven't looked at them but I guess a lot of teams are not correct and he just guessed on guys names. Obviously it's not all his fault because the stock rosters were bad, but some guys say he is using players who graduated last year and such.

Just something to check before you get too immersed and realize it.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #198
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Sounds like the "EPIC BBQ" group will be the one to get.

I added names to just one team (Ole Miss) for a single player dynasty to mess around with while waiting. Took a long time because the stock rosters are awful. They had 90% of the freshman wrong. I'm sure it is tedious doing all of the teams.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #199
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll download the Lanteri87 rosters and check out my Tigers in a bit.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #200
Captain2711
High School JV

Can anyone explain how to download and use these rosters properly. I seem to be doing it properly but I can't tell if there are any roster changes. I've downloaded and uploaded several rosters and none seem to take effect. I'm wondering if I am missing the final step or something. I know the named rosters are not complete but was hoping to just get a partial.