Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #151
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
That's the way the basketball game has always run. And why not? The web site just cares about the database, and your home computer is easier to run / debug / fix / whatever. Just like our FOF leagues

Just to play devils advocate, DLB doesn't do it that way I don't think. (although, I hate that game )

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #152
Raiders Army
Coordinator

lordscarlet, just sent you an invite to a scrimmage. I used one token.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #153
billgulch
n00b

Hey Guys!

We'll go ahead and run tonight for sure. If you guys would like, I can "Pause" the league for a day or two and take in some of your suggestions, answer questions, etc. If not, we can just keep running.

One area I do realize I'm deficient in is docs. I would love a Wiki, though I haven't found an ASP based wiki worth using (as I'd like to host it and mod it as necessary). Any suggestions?

I also think everyone in the league should have his or her free credits. So you can spend them on scrimmage tokens or updating your playbooks.

Now, on to a few replies:

Unfinished draft : I probably need to make it so you can't see the screen until the draft is done. There are a few more "broken" screens as the draft was processing. I likely need to sweep through and try to find them all. Mya be tricky now that the draft is done.

Compare 2 players : no really quick way at the moment; it would require opening 2 browser windows and alt-tabbing between them (or tabs and clicking between them). Or you can go to "Roster Moves" or "Set Offense". You can do a little of it there.

Filter by position : I think I get your jist. If not, just explain it to me wit ha little more detail. Legions can attest to the fact that I'm slow catching onto things sometimes. Try going to My Roster and clicking on the POS tab.

Preseason game : yes, it will be simmed this evening. That's probably a little soon after the draft, honestly. I'll note to put a day between the draft completion and the first preseason game going forward.

Filter FA's : nothing really on the site specifically to do that. You can, however, download the CSV file (got to CSV Files) of FA's and sort them outside the program. You'll have to have a playbook active I believe. We'll get it in there soon.

Scrimmages : Log out and back in. It kind of resets it every day. It looks at your cookies and makes sure you have an active league. Since you were inactive earlier, it hasn't reset yet. Let me see what I can do to make it so you don't have to log out and back in going forward.

Uploads from home : Actually, last time you played LS, I ran the DB server from home so no uploading was necessary (and allowed my remote server to contact through a DSL line). But the game did grow too big since then (causing a crapload of timeouts.. go figure.. I was uploading at 384K..., so I was forced to run the DB server from a rented server on a larger backbone (it's sharing a server with my horse racing game at the moment).. I'm not pulling in any really money from the game, so renting the servers to run the games remotely would crush me. Good news is : it's written so that, if the thing ever grows, it's written so that I can run it all from the same location. Actually, it's written so it could run across literally hundreds of servers at varying locations if need be. I just need some cash to flow in...

New Activate / Deativate idea : check out the FA screen. Would it help if I added the (Now / Potential) and experience to the box with the players somehow, so you could see them with your players? That may be too large, but I'll mess around with it if that's what you're thinking.

A / B Package - What LS said. You can tailor third down plays, etc in the advanced play book. I actually have a plan to add it so you can "switch" between them easier from the Gametime Strategies screen in situations (as well as the ability to Double Team a WR). Those are on my shortlist.

..now my fingers hurt.

--Mike
billgulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #154
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgulch View Post
Filter by position : I think I get your jist. If not, just explain it to me wit ha little more detail. Legions can attest to the fact that I'm slow catching onto things sometimes. Try going to My Roster and clicking on the POS tab.

<-----whistles innocently. Really haven't sat down yet to figure out how anything works in the game, so I will just comment on the one thing I did notice and liked-the highlighting of your picks in the draft log so you can find them easily.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #155
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I was going to say that I don't have a "POS" tab, but I think more accurate terminology woudl be "click on the 'POS' header." In other words, sort by position. That's good enough for what I wanted to see.

On the uploads from home, if the issue is funding new servers -- where do you live? A friend of mine got a seriously fast upload/download business class cable connection for $100/mo. FIOS would obviously be even better. But, if the issue is cash, I certainly can see why you're doing it that way.

For the activate/deactivate -- I'm not sure of one solution, but there is definitely a better way to do this, I think. One is on the roster to have activate/deactivate/IR/Cut links. Obviously you can't see their attributes there, and probably aren't going to set the cut order there, so the roster move page is still necessary. But your solution would certainly be better than what is there now. I would perhaps put a popup (or something, I don't love the popups) like you have on the player page on the roster page, so that you can quickly view your players, their attributes, and activate/deactivate them.

Scrimmage: I logged in via a completey different browser that I had not visited the site with and I still couldn't see the link. In addition, I don't see Raider's Army's scrimmage challenge on the main page (as I've been told I should be able to), but I can see it at DeepRoute.com - Virtual Online Football League / Simulated Football Game - Provided by SimulatedSports.com.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #156
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
lordscarlet, just sent you an invite to a scrimmage. I used one token.

Game simmed. DeepRoute.com - Virtual Online Football League / Simulated Football Game - Provided by SimulatedSports.com

Old 03-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #157
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I couldn't see the scrimmage either except in lordscarlet's link. Good game though...too bad we didn't get the onsides kick at the end!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #158
eiskrap
n00b

I got Michael Phelps as my QB1 so you're all screwed... we got 50 billion gold medals!!!
eiskrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #159
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I couldn't see the scrimmage either except in lordscarlet's link. Good game though...too bad we didn't get the onsides kick at the end!

Yeah. The first and second halves were completely differnt games, so I'm not sure what to think of my team at the moment.

A suggestion to Mike: In addition to "advance one" on the gameplay screen, have a "go back one". Sometimes I have it set on, say, 1 sec, and I miss what just happened.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #160
billgulch
n00b

Hey LS :

I live in Louisville. "Business class" cable is ~$140 a month, which WOULD work. But I have found cable to be unreliable.. I've had friends with businesses have theirs go out regularly (sometimes for several days).

BTW - I found the scrimmage problem. Try logging in and out agan if you don't mind.

--Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #161
dbd1963
High School JV

Mike,

What will happen with our players who are signed only for this year. Some of these are good players, and look to be UFAs next season, but I can't extend them this season. It says I already gave them a contract. Is there a workaround for this first-season problem?
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #162
billgulch
n00b

Hey DB -

I bet that was one of those fields I've added since I last created a new league. Let me look into that. It should be a quick fix from my end, but I don't want anything to break. It'll likely get fixed tomorrow.

--Mike

Last edited by billgulch : 03-11-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: ..pay attention kids... bad typing leads to mispellings..
Old 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #163
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hey LS :

I live in Louisville. "Business class" cable is ~$140 a month, which WOULD work. But I have found cable to be unreliable.. I've had friends with businesses have theirs go out regularly (sometimes for several days).

BTW - I found the scrimmage problem. Try logging in and out agan if you don't mind.

--Mike

Yeah, that sucks. one of my sites is hosted out of some dudes basement and is slow as hell -- the rest I have on dreamhost because they're not big enough to warrant more.

I didn't even have to logout for the Scrimmages link to reappear.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #164
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Oh, also.. on wikis. I think mediawiki is far and away the best option. I've tried to find a good .net one and they all suck. Even the Ruby on Rails options suck. PHP far and away seems to have the best options for running a wiki, unfortunately.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #165
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Mike, I have scheduled a scrimmage against you. Accept it if you dare! Good luck!

Hope I don't get killed
Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #166
dbd1963
High School JV

Preseason game one is done. Wow, I think my team is really gonna be a bottom scraper this year..

Looking forward to the draft!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #167
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I really like the scrimmage concept. Great way to get revenue, help people willing to pay to research, and take advantage of people that just like to sim, sim, sim to learn the game.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #168
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I posted an open scrimmage where I'll pay both tokens. Anyone feel free to grab it...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #169
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I really like the scrimmage concept. Great way to get revenue, help people willing to pay to research, and take advantage of people that just like to sim, sim, sim to learn the game.

No wonder Ben is staying away, he and RKG could go broke in a week
Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #170
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Never mind, that went fast. I need to see if there is a way to limit the open scrimmage to just this league.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #171
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Never mind, that went fast. I need to see if there is a way to limit the open scrimmage to just this league.
For now, I will juist challenge you.

Everyone: Be warned. If you try to change a lineup position across all lineups, make sure you check the box BEFORE making the change

Mike: It is very hard (impossible?) to find a link to set JUST your preseason/scrimmage lineup. I figured out how to hack the link, but that might be something to look at for the future.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #172
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hey we beat Mike in the first preseason game, clearly we are going to win the Super Bowl now.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #173
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
New Activate / Deativate idea : check out the FA screen. Would it help if I added the (Now / Potential) and experience to the box with the players somehow, so you could see them with your players? That may be too large, but I'll mess around with it if that's what you're thinking.

Yes, that would help. Another option would be to change the "ST" column on the roster to a drop-down and add a "set status" button to the bottom to grab them all and apply it.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #174
Autumn
Head Coach

Ooh, I crushed San Fran. Without doing anything. Hopefully tweaking my roster won't hurt me.

As far as feedback I find it really overwhelming to tweak this roster. I know we normally woudln't have 80 guys, so that's a lot. But there are so many ratings, which I like sim-wise, but it makes it really ahrd to get a grasp of a player. I try to find two on the cusp and flip back and forth, back and forth, but it's hard for me to grok all the ratings at once, even just the relevant ones.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #175
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Depth charts are too many screens to wade through and adjust. I'd love to see something more like the base screens (say, H F T 1 2 and 4-3-4 Standard) as-is, but add the nickel, dime, WR3, WR4, WR5, etc as additional options on the same screen and then have that apply to all the base ones from there. I can then go in and adjust individual screens as I want. It just takes too long to adjust the one screen, then walk through all the others to make sure the 3rd CB that I have as a backup in the 4-3-4 becomes my nickel back in the nickel and dime screens. There should be the one main screen, and then optionally have me go into the others to customize something if I don't really want the nickel DB to be the nickel DB in the quarters defense or something.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #176
dbd1963
High School JV

Yes, the depth chart screens are what basically drove me away last time. Too difficult to use. I wish I were good at design so that I could suggest a better way, but I am not.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #177
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Depth charts are too many screens to wade through and adjust. I'd love to see something more like the base screens (say, H F T 1 2 and 4-3-4 Standard) as-is, but add the nickel, dime, WR3, WR4, WR5, etc as additional options on the same screen and then have that apply to all the base ones from there. I can then go in and adjust individual screens as I want. It just takes too long to adjust the one screen, then walk through all the others to make sure the 3rd CB that I have as a backup in the 4-3-4 becomes my nickel back in the nickel and dime screens. There should be the one main screen, and then optionally have me go into the others to customize something if I don't really want the nickel DB to be the nickel DB in the quarters defense or something.

Agreed. The depth chart is a nuisance. I'm having trouble figuring out a PERFECT solution, but what Greg proposes is at least better. I basically want to set a depth chart, and then optionally go in and tweak specific granular formations.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #178
DeToxRox
Head Coach

We beat the CPU run STL Cobras 24-14 in the preseason opener.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #179
wade moore
lolzcat

I really wish I had more concrete feedback.

I go to setup my team and I'm just completely overwhelmed. It may nto help that I was at work for 12 hours and I'm exhausted, so I'll look again in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #180
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I really wish I had more concrete feedback.

I go to setup my team and I'm just completely overwhelmed. It may nto help that I was at work for 12 hours and I'm exhausted, so I'll look again in the morning.

There definitely seems to be a... high point of entry. You can't just get into the game and have fun without putting some time into figuring out how it works. I think it's a huge problem that Mike needs to solve if he wants to reach a more casual user.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #181
dbd1963
High School JV

I love the scrimmage option, because I'm sitting here doing scrimmage after scrimmage, tweaking my playbook, finding out what my team is good at. This would be the way Mike will get money from me..
Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #182
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Been busy, so hadn't gotten around to logging in and nabbing my team until tonight. I see I missed the draft, but I'll deal. I'll have to take a real close look at everything tomorrow night after work.

I am currently the New York Hamsters (if I have the option, city/nickname may change), and I am in the same division as wade moore and lordscarlet, brothers extraordinaire.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 AM   #183
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd agree on all of the above comments. I think it just takes a good half an hour sitting down and looking at everything. I don't feel comfortable, but I don't feel uncomfortable.

Quote:
Agreed.

For what it's worth, I've only done the Gametime Strategies. I opened up the Advanced Playbook Options, but I haven't seen where to really tweak your defense. I'll search the message forums to see how to do it. The Gametime Strategies are pretty self-explanatory as well as the Intermediate Playbook Options. I'm puzzled why the only options I have are None Selected for the Advanced Playbook Options.

Gameplay:
Quote:
38 seconds was allowed to run off the clock between plays.
LOU - Q1 11:51 (3rd and 3-; Own 43) - The ball is snapped to QB Martin Maldonado.
LOU - Q1 11:51 (3rd and 3-; Own 43) - Pass by QB Martin Maldonado to WR1 Eric Hutching, 5 08 yard(s) downfield, COMPLETE for a gain of 5 08 Yard(s) before being tackled by C1 Donald Chirasello.
The play required 6 seconds to execute.
Defensive Call : <2>2-3d-1thru4-2yd-5yd-up,(Scn:17 - Default PB:; Pr0 - Pos 46)

Offensive Package Was : T 1 2 3 4 (A), Formation: Shotgun 4 Wideouts L , Play : 5 yd curl L
Defensive Package Was : 4-1-6 Dime Coverage : Man; Roamer Job - Normal; 5 yard Cushion
I'm not sure why in the 1st quarter I was in Dime Coverage giving a 5 yard cushion on 3rd and less than 3.

Quote:
39 seconds was allowed to run off the clock between plays.
LOU - Q1 08:18 (2nd and 03+; Opp 3) - The ball is snapped to QB Martin Maldonado.
LOU - Q1 08:18 (2nd and 03+; Opp 3) - Handoff to HB Rex Andras, who runs outside the right tackle;he gains 3 26 Yard(s).
LOU - Q1 08:18 (2nd and 03+; Opp 3) - Touchdown, Rex Andras!
The play required 4 seconds to execute.
Defensive Call : <2>2-2d-1thru4-6in/5yd-up,(Scn:13 - Default PB:; Pr0 - Pos 42)

Offensive Package Was : H 1 2 3 4 (A), Formation: 4 Wideouts , Play : H thru R3 hole
Defensive Package Was : 4-1-6 Dime Coverage : Man; Roamer Job - Deep; 5 yard Cushion
1. Same thing here. I'm backed up and you're about to score, but I'm in Dime Coverage on 2nd and 3? Are both situations because your offense has four receivers? It seems as if the defense knows on every single play to bring out extra defensive backs if there are more receivers.

2. Stupid question here: is my Corner 2 on your WR 2 or are they set up left and right? If they are set up as 2 on 2 and 1 on 1, then I can assume that when your WR2 James Rodriguez scored an 80 yard TD, it was my C2's fault. From what I can tell, I think your Nickelback is always matched up on their WR3 (who is always in the slot?).
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #184
dbd1963
High School JV

I have answered my own question. Carry on. Go on with your meals!

Last edited by dbd1963 : 03-12-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Found out it was all my own dumb fault.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #185
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd1963 View Post
I have answered my own question. Carry on. Go on with your meals!

Didn't check the box?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #186
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes, the depth chart screens are what basically drove me away last time. Too difficult to use.

FWIW, now that I'm playing it again and remembering my beta experience, I believe this was my reason as well. Navigation I think I could live with, but I took one look at what it would take to actually set up my team in the way I wanted (even just the basics) and said "I don't have time for this." So yes, this will be high priority for me to make suggestions on how to fix so it is less painful and takes a lot less time for at least the basic / initial setup of the team.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #187
billgulch
n00b

Hey Guys!

I want to thank you all again for taking the time out to help me. The feedback you guys are providing is great.. exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. Now, let me see if I can't answer some questions and respond to comments :

Dbd1963 - can you tell me a player that the "extension problem" is occurring to? I can't seem to get that on any of my players. (say your post just a second ago.. is this the thing you solved, or is there another problem)

Position change across all packages - LS is right. Make sure you check this if you want to make a change across all packages. You could, theoretically, have a different QB manning different packages. That's likely what has happened when you see 2 different QB's playing.

NOTE ON ABOVE : One suggestion I have heard in the past and reading here seems to confirm it. The ability to change by individual package is a good one, but often times overkill. I need to add a simpler "depth chart" way of modifying the lineups. This appears to be one of the major things driving people away. It'll take a little thought, but it's the highest thing on my priority list.

"Look at only players of a certain status" : Noted, and I'll see if I can't add that ASAP.

RA : what's your user name? I honestly can't remember.. sorry. :P I'll look into the "None Selected" advance option. I will forward your playbook concerns to Larry; I let him take care of a lot of that. I can tell you that you're in a dime because the other team is going 4 wide on you (that much I know is set in the default PB). As for being 5 yards off on 3rd and 3.. that may need a little tweaking. The good news is that the way I have things set up makes that an easy fix. Again, Larry is the man when it comes to that sort of stuff. I'll forward it on his way.

I obviously don't want to drive you guys away over UI flaws. If it's worth it, I can pause the game your league for a day or two (you can still run scrimmages) until I come up with something to solve the "overwhelming" aspect of changing lineups.

I hope you can see the work I've put into this, and I want the success of the game to correlate with that amount of work. I really believe that, if I can make the transition from non-player to player a smooth one, the guts of the game will be allowed to shine better. The feedback you guys are offering is awesome, and I will do what I can to get your concerns addressed ASAP. Thank you so again.

--Mike
Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #188
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I obviously don't want to drive you guys away over UI flaws. If it's worth it, I can pause the game your league for a day or two (you can still run scrimmages) until I come up with something to solve the "overwhelming" aspect of changing lineups.

From my perspective, the first season is basically a throw-away as I learn how to play, so I'm fine with letting it move forward while we bombard you with feedback and you tweak things. I'm just making sure to get my roster set so I keep the guys I want when I go to the next season.

And I suspect in this crowd you've got enough folks who are fine with screwing up the first season to get a high draft pick for next year that they won't care, either
Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #189
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
From my perspective, the first season is basically a throw-away as I learn how to play, so I'm fine with letting it move forward while we bombard you with feedback and you tweak things. I'm just making sure to get my roster set so I keep the guys I want when I go to the next season.

And I suspect in this crowd you've got enough folks who are fine with screwing up the first season to get a high draft pick for next year that they won't care, either
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #190
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Position change across all packages - LS is right. Make sure you check this if you want to make a change across all packages. You could, theoretically, have a different QB manning different packages. That's likely what has happened when you see 2 different QB's playing.

I think one of the biggest problems is that you are using "one-way" (I just made that term up) javascript to do the "change all." If you make the change, then check the box, those changes don't apply across all lineups -- you have to do it in the reverse order. Now, the way you're doing things, that is probably hard to change. You could possibly keep a queue of actions, but, as I'm sure was you're thinking, someone may have madea few changes that they don't want to apply across all formations. I would, at a minimum, suggest an in-page or javascript alert when someone checks the box that reiterates the fact that previous changes will not be carried through all of the formations.

Quote:
NOTE ON ABOVE : One suggestion I have heard in the past and reading here seems to confirm it. The ability to change by individual package is a good one, but often times overkill. I need to add a simpler "depth chart" way of modifying the lineups. This appears to be one of the major things driving people away. It'll take a little thought, but it's the highest thing on my priority list.
yes, definitely. The guys with FOF experience can speak better to this probably, but I would expect to be able to simply set a depth chart and have it automagically apply to the formations. In fact, I think there's another necessary step of detail.
  1. Set a depth chart (who is WR1, WR2, WR3, MLB, SILB, etc)
  2. Similar to what you have, but assign the generic "positions". e.g. In Formation 1, I want WR1 in the post, WR2 in the slot, etc.
  3. The detailed player-by-player adjustments you have now.
Step 2 makes it a little easier to make adjustments across the board while still having some plays that are not "Standard". You can have your WR3 be the primary receiver, yet swap out who is WR3 very easily.
Quote:
RA : what's your user name? I honestly can't remember.. sorry. :P I'll look into the "None Selected" advance option. I will forward your playbook concerns to Larry; I let him take care of a lot of that. I can tell you that you're in a dime because the other team is going 4 wide on you (that much I know is set in the default PB). As for being 5 yards off on 3rd and 3.. that may need a little tweaking. The good news is that the way I have things set up makes that an easy fix. Again, Larry is the man when it comes to that sort of stuff. I'll forward it on his way.

I hope you can see the work I've put into this, and I want the success of the game to correlate with that amount of work. I really believe that, if I can make the transition from non-player to player a smooth one, the guts of the game will be allowed to shine better. The feedback you guys are offering is awesome, and I will do what I can to get your concerns addressed ASAP. Thank you so again.

--Mike

We certainly appreciate the amount of work you have put into this -- particularly with the willingness to talk to us an accept feedback. That will go a long way toward people (us at least) putting up with some problems.

Quote:

+1

As I said, I think this is your biggest hurdle to get over. The playbook options that you have before getting to advanced playbooks are good for getting started real quick, but the depth chart is, as you said, overwhelming.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #191
dbd1963
High School JV

Mike -- No that last message was a dumb thing I did, which LS figured out pretty quick .

I was able to renegotiate my RB who was on a 1 year contract just now. I probably did something stupid with that one too.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #192
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I noticed a possible, and easy to fix, bug. I haven't tested it, but I downloaded the CSV of my entire team. It is a CSV, however, it is saved as a .xls. When I open it, Excel puts every row in a single column. However, if I rename the file with a .csv extension, excel opens it as you would expect. It may have to do with my particular version or something, but it's probably something to check out.

Quote:
Mike -- No that last message was a dumb thing I did, which LS figured out pretty quick .

I was able to renegotiate my RB who was on a 1 year contract just now. I probably did something stupid with that one too.

I had read your original question on my iphone and I was going to reply when I got to work.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #193
Thomkal
Head Coach

Was just setting up my offense, and I noticed that when I was setting up an individual package rather than across all of them, then saving after making the changes I wanted to the package, the sim defeulted back to the first package on the list rather than the one I was just working on. Made it confusing because there's a lot of packages and many of them similar in name. I'd much rather it stay on the one I'm working on-that way I can just work my way down the list of packages without worrying whether I missed one or not.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #194
dbd1963
High School JV

I have a scrimmage game up to anyone interested. I paid one token so you need one token to play.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #195
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Some things off the top of my head:

Is there a way to "copy" your preseason/scrimmage settings to the regular season? I am toying with preseason/scrimmage, but if I get to something I like it will be a pain to manually move it to the regular season settings.

I wonder if it would be a nice feature (perhaps a pay feature) to have saved lineups and playbook settings. Maybe you have a "good pass defense" package that you use against certain opponents, or a "weak quarterback" package, etc. That you can swap out based on your opponent.

When you "Card" a scrimmage, it returns to the card scrimmage page. Would it be better if it went to "my scrimmages"?

I would really, really like to see an easier way to compare players. Off the top of my head I would just say have a checkbox on the roster list and a "compare" button. Allow as many players as you want, and allow it to go side scrolling. A quick, lame mockup would be something like

But please dont' make it exactly like that P.O.S. if you did something like that. This could perhaps tie into some roster movements as well, allowing you to activate, deactivate, or even set your depth chart position. Basically the idea that you can see people's stats up against each other.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #196
rjolley
College Starter

I like that idea. I usually just try to remember the attributes I'm focusing on, but being able to compare players side-by-side like this would be great on the roster and FA screens.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #197
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Was just setting up my offense, and I noticed that when I was setting up an individual package rather than across all of them, then saving after making the changes I wanted to the package, the sim defeulted back to the first package on the list rather than the one I was just working on. Made it confusing because there's a lot of packages and many of them similar in name. I'd much rather it stay on the one I'm working on-that way I can just work my way down the list of packages without worrying whether I missed one or not.

+1
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #198
Autumn
Head Coach

Well my comment just was eaten. I'll say shortly that I really, really agree about making a one-page depth chart start where you can set the default for all positions, including nickel and dime, etc. Then the ability to drill down and modify individual packages. That would make a world of difference for a casual gamer like me.

I also really, really like the idea of being able to compare players side by side as above. Right now I find myself making off hte cuff cuts just to simplify things as there's too much overload with all those ratings to compare.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #199
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Anyone up for a scrimmage?

Also, any thoughts on who might be up for filling the last 9 spots?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #200
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Having a problem with the intermediate playbook. I checked all 3 boxes (save to practice/scrimmage, copy to all times, copy to all points), edited the matrix to my desired settings, clicked the Save button, then switched to a different matrix (the last 2 minutes of the fourth quarter, leaving it at Up 17+) and got a completely different set of numbers. My selections weren't copied like I thought they would be.