Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #151
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
not according to cris collingsworth. According to him it's meaningless if they don't win the SB

He didn't exactly say that. He just said they have to win the SB for it to be a great achievement. I agree that it loses some of its impact if they choke in the playoffs.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:24 PM   #152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Meh. Pats need to win it all or all of the hoopla is for naught. Still, pretty freakin' impressive. It just felt like they'd pull it off, even when they were down. Great team to watch. They just get it done.

it's not for naught. They're 16-0 in the regular reason. Never been done before.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #153
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
not according to cris collingsworth. According to him it's meaningless if they don't win the SB

For the first time ever in my life, I agree with him. Its about winning the superbowl, if they don't, then they didn't end the year with a perfect season. Its an amazing team, and been fun to watch, probably the best team I have ever watched.. but they still have 3 more games to win or its all for naught.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #154
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Just wow. Amazing.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #155
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Just wow. Amazing.

Yep, damn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #156
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
it's not for naught. They're 16-0 in the regular reason. Never been done before.

And it will be remembered as one of the most spectacular failures in NFL history if they don't win the Super Bowl.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #157
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Patriots deserve all the praise they're getting for finishing the regular season undefeated. It's only been done twice in NFL history. Only 35 days, 21 hours, and 48 minutes to a perfect 19-0 season for the Patriots. I'll be updating the countdown regularly for those like DaddyTorgo who are interested.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #158
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Congrats to the Pats. What an awesome season.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #159
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Patriots deserve all the praise they're getting for finishing the regular season undefeated. It's only been done twice in NFL history. Only 35 days, 21 hours, and 48 minutes to a perfect 19-0 season for the Patriots. I'll be updating the countdown regularly for those like DaddyTorgo who are interested.

LOL. You weren't really bugging me...just being a lil superstitious. I am firmly in the camp of non-superstitious though
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #160
Galaril
Pro Starter

Congrats. And I agree it is for naught if they don't win it. There are some pretty good teams coming into the AFC playoffs and they all are pretty much tough defenses and strong running teams which seem to be the best team to match up against the Pats. I think the AFC wildcard teams , in fact both could even make some noise, so the SB is not a given. It ought to be a lot of fun.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #161
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
LOL. You weren't really bugging me...just being a lil superstitious. I am firmly in the camp of non-superstitious though

Damn. That's the only reason I was doing it. Anyway, I agree that the playoffs are going to be fantastic! The AFC has a lot of good teams and the Patriots will certainly be challenged by the likes of Jacksonville and Indy. Indy should have a good game with the Chargers. The NFC will feature 4 terrible teams and 2 good ones who will meet again in the NFC Championship, hopefully with a different result. Should be interesting.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #162
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Patriots deserve all the praise they're getting for finishing the regular season undefeated. It's only been done twice in NFL history.

Not quite true... the Bears had a couple undefeated regular seasons spoiled by losses in the league championship game. The NFL goes all the way back to 1920, believe it or not, not just back to the NFL/AFL merger or the beginning of the "Superbowl."
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #163
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Not quite true... the Bears had a couple undefeated regular seasons spoiled by losses in the league championship game. The NFL goes all the way back to 1920, believe it or not, not just back to the NFL/AFL merger or the beginning of the "Superbowl."

Exactly my point. The pats are the 4th team to have an undefeated regular season (The first to do it in a 16 game regular season), but you don't hear anything about the two teams that did not win the championship. They have had a fantastic season so far, but the job is not complete. I'll be pulling for them to win it all though since my team is not in the playoffs.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #164
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Given the media's (and the general population's) mental block on anything happening before 1980, I surprised they would include the 1972 Dolphins.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #165
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have to say, Superbowl win this year or not, I am now of the opinion that Bill Belichick is the greatest coach of all time besides Vince Lombardi. And I admit that the only reason I hold Lombardi ahead of him is that I am a Packer fan and love the legend of him.

Bill Parcels can't hold Bill Belichick's jock.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 PM   #166
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

16-0 is the best regular season ever. Can't take that away from the Pats. If they win 3 more, best season ever. Still nothing to sneeze at.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #167
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Exactly my point. The pats are the 4th team to have an undefeated regular season (The first to do it in a 16 game regular season), but you don't hear anything about the two teams that did not win the championship. They have had a fantastic season so far, but the job is not complete. I'll be pulling for them to win it all though since my team is not in the playoffs.

Actually the Bears went 14-0 and lost in the championship game and 42 and the Cleveland Browns went 15-0 in 1948 in the old AAFC. So, in the NFL 16-0 is definitely the record.

http://www.profootballhof.com/histor...undefeated.jsp
Old 12-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #168
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Actually the Bears went 14-0 and lost in the championship game and 42 and the Cleveland Browns went 15-0 in 1948 in the old AAFC. So, in the NFL 16-0 is definitely the record.

http://www.profootballhof.com/histor...undefeated.jsp

I am pretty sure that is what I said. My point still stands though.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #169
st.cronin
General Manager

Vrabel has 12.5 sacks? Wow. I knew he was having a pretty good year, but I never would have guessed he had that many.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #170
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bill Parcels can't hold Bill Belichick's jock.

And I think you are nuts. Parcells is a master of turning around teams. I mean, it wasn't like Bellichick walked into a disaster area after all.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #171
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
So, in the NFL 16-0 is definitely the record.

Nobody claimed otherwise. Of course this is the first 16-0 season. It's also the fourth time an NFL team has completed the regular season undefeated. Not the second, which is what was explicitly claimed above, in the post I quoted earlier.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #172
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I am pretty sure that is what I said. My point still stands though.

No, fellow Graftonite I wasn't saying you were wrong just adding color like Gumbel
Old 12-29-2007, 11:11 PM   #173
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
So, in the NFL 16-0 is definitely the record.

That's technically not true as the 1972 Miami Dolphins went a perfect 17-0. A 16-0 regular season is definitely the record, but overall it is not. The Patriots can defeat the Dolphins mark by winning the AFC Championship. The Patriots deserve all the credit they're getting for going 16-0 though. It's only happened twice in NFL history.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #174
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And I think you are nuts. Parcells is a master of turning around teams. I mean, it wasn't like Bellichick walked into a disaster area after all.

Parcells took over a worse situation in New England, true: But he only went 32-32 in his 4 years with the Patriots. Compare Belichek's first four years with Parcells' 4 years in Patriot-land, and there's simply no comparison at all, even given the higher degree of difficulty for Parcells.

knives out
Old 12-29-2007, 11:21 PM   #175
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Parcell's does a damn good job turning around teams. Too bad he can't stick with them and see it through to the end. He hasn't done that since the Giants.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #176
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Parcells took over a worse situation in New England, true: But he only went 32-32 in his 4 years with the Patriots. Compare Belichek's first four years with Parcells' 4 years in Patriot-land, and there's simply no comparison at all, even given the higher degree of difficulty for Parcells.

Parcells didn't have Tom Brady either . Who, let's face it, fell into Belichick's lap after Bledsoe got hurt.

Also, I'm not just talking about the Pats, but the other jobs as well. Belli was merely average at Cleveland. Parcells was great with the Giants, completely turned around the Jets, and even turned around the Cowboys (who people forget were miserable for a number of years before he came along).
Old 12-29-2007, 11:34 PM   #177
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
And it will be remembered as one of the most spectacular failures in NFL history if they don't win the Super Bowl.

Yeah, it almost now feels like the NFL won't be right if they don't win the Superbowl now.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #178
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Parcells didn't have Tom Brady either . Who, let's face it, fell into Belichick's lap after Bledsoe got hurt.

Also, I'm not just talking about the Pats, but the other jobs as well. Belli was merely average at Cleveland. Parcells was great with the Giants, completely turned around the Jets, and even turned around the Cowboys (who people forget were miserable for a number of years before he came along).

I agree that Parcells is one of the greatest coaches of all time. But, all things being equal, who would you rather have coaching your team, him or BB?

knives out
Old 12-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #179
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Given the media's (and the general population's) mental block on anything happening before 1980, I surprised they would include the 1972 Dolphins.

You are absurd! They don't recognize the other 2 because they were shorter schedules and before the merger.

What media blocks anything before 1980? The same media that glorifies Babe Ruth, Ali, those historic Celtics teams, and all other greats?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 PM   #180
korme
Go Reds

And for this little Belichick/Parcells war, let's just say that growing up, the first team I learned about besides the Bengals was the Browns, and until Belichick won his 1st SB in NE I had no idea he was Cleveland's HC. I knew all about the glory that Parcells achieved, however.

I say Parcells > Belichick all-time, however, Belichick is certainly maximizing what he has in NE - remember, before this year, besides against Carolina, NE was underdogs in their Super Bowls.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 PM   #181
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I agree that Parcells is one of the greatest coaches of all time. But, all things being equal, who would you rather have coaching your team, him or BB?

Probably Parcells. But even if you pick Belichick, saying Parcells can't hold BB's jock is quite a ridiculous statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
before this year, besides against Carolina, NE was underdogs in their Super Bowls.

Aroo? I seriously doubt they were underdogs against Philly.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-29-2007 at 11:56 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 PM   #182
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Probably Parcells. But even if you pick Belichick, saying Parcells can't hold BB's jock is quite a ridiculous statement.

Pffft, I say more ridiculous things than that every day.

knives out
Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #183
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Regardless... it doesn't make that statement any less ridiculous .
Old 12-30-2007, 12:15 AM   #184
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

Aroo? I seriously doubt they were underdogs against Philly.

Umm NE were heavy favorites vs philly. They only superbowl they weren't the favorite was their first against the rams.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 12-30-2007 at 12:22 AM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 AM   #185
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I think this "record" that isn't a record is nice, but the Pats had everything fall into their laps.

The AFC East is the worst division in football.

The bills the 2nd place team, hasn't had 1 win against a winning team.

The dolphins only have 1 win.

The Jets are terrible.

That is six easy wins, right off the top.

No major injuries.

Playing the East in the NFC was a bit difficult. Their major games were the Colts and the Cowboys.

I don't think the Pats are going to win the superbowl, unless the league has an agenda like they did tonight.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 12-30-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:22 AM   #186
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So I got all horny for Belichick and exagerated a little. I still take him over Parcells every time. Parecells can build teams, good for him. He should be a GM. Patriots, Jets, Cowboys....he never finished the job. Two with the Giants, and he is a great coach for that (and no I won't say they were in large part to Belichick being with him, I don't go that far). I have a problem with a guy taking over a team for 4 years and then jumping ship. I don't even remeber why he left each team now so maybe someone who does can remind me?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #187
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
So I got all horny for Belichick and exagerated a little. I still take him over Parcells every time. Parecells can build teams, good for him. He should be a GM. Patriots, Jets, Cowboys....he never finished the job. Two with the Giants, and he is a great coach for that (and no I won't say they were in large part to Belichick being with him, I don't go that far). I have a problem with a guy taking over a team for 4 years and then jumping ship. I don't even remeber why he left each team now so maybe someone who does can remind me?

Left the Giants for health reasons I thought.

Left the Pats, because the GM made him pick someone he didn't want in the draft. That WR he called she .

Left the Jets, because he was burned out I thought or health reasons.

Left the Cowboys, because Jerry Jones is an ass, I'm not really sure why he left the cowboys.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:27 AM   #188
Daimyo
College Starter

I wonder if Manning now regrets sitting out the last game in 2004?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #189
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I think this "record" that isn't a record is nice, but the Pats had everything fall into their laps.

The Jets are terrible.

No major injuries.

Playing the East in the NFC was a bit difficult. Their major games were the Colts and the Cowboys.

I don't think the Pats are going to win the superbowl, unless the league has an agenda like they did tonight.

You aren't going to win that arguement. It's kind of dumb, IMO.

ANd the '72 Dolphins had the 3rd easiest schedule in NFL history. Not that year, not that decade, in history. Before and after '72. The Pats had a pretty good schedule, not super hard, but not exactly easy either. If Cleveland and Washington make the playoffs, then the Pats would have played and won against 7 playoff teams this season.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #190
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Great team, but they've got nothing on the 2014 Boston Rhinos.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 AM   #191
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Great team, but they've got nothing on the 2014 Boston Rhinos.

Win
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #192
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Win

I don't think he does. Most of us have no idea about the Rhinos. I might as well throw out the Norfolk Vipers if we are going to go down that road.

Last edited by Cringer : 12-30-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #193
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I just realized that NFL Radio is still doing a live radio show. They always end their live programming at midnight eastern time. This game meant a lot to them I guess, it's 2 hours past thier bedtime.

Last edited by Cringer : 12-30-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:12 AM   #194
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm not sure what's more annoying:

The arrogant Pats fans who kept whining about Spygate several weeks after everyone stopped caring about it or the conspiracy theorists who say the NFL has fixed things for the Pats.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 AM   #195
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm not sure what's more annoying:

The arrogant Pats fans who kept whining about Spygate several weeks after everyone stopped caring about it or the conspiracy theorists who say the NFL has fixed things for the Pats.

C. Bandwagon Cowboy fans in Texas.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #196
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, so of course this is a bit more meaningful than the "wildcard champs" t-shirt, but I always wonder who the people are who buy garbage like this. That shirt is basically like a gallon of milk, it has a pretty quick expiration date. Do you buy that one, hoping that you can buy the 19-0 superbowl champs shirt in 6 weeks, but dreading that it'll be funny looking if they lose the first playoff game. Like I'll still see people in 2005 AFC Champs steelers shirts....like why the hell didn't you wait 2 weeks and just buy a superbowl champ shirt.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:36 AM   #197
stevew
Hall Of Famer

that'd be sharp if you got it autographed though, i suppose.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:38 AM   #198
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
that'd be sharp if you got it autographed though, i suppose.

That's one ugly shirt.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:01 AM   #199
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Umm NE were heavy favorites vs philly. They only superbowl they weren't the favorite was their first against the rams.

I think he was also referring to the SB losses against the Bears and Packers. But you are right about Philly game.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #200
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:

The Jets are terrible.

No major injuries.

Your Pats' analysis is about as good as your betting strategy with the Seahawks. I would agree that they have had some cream puff games (but I disagree with your contention that the Bills are not at least a quality middle of the road NFL team). But what they lacked in the number of harder games, they made up for in the quality of the tough games.

When you look at the 16 games, they will have beaten 4 division winners (including 13-2 Colts and Cowboys teams on the road) and likely 2-3 other playoff teams.

As far as injuries, they have missed the catastrophic ones I would agree, but still Seymour did miss the first 6 games and still isn't healthy as of today. There have been other injuries like basically not having much of a TE corps the entire year. Colvin gone for the year has stressed the LB corps. But why is this a surprise? Is it really less of an accomplishment because they didn't go undefeated (so far) with a second string QB? Is what you're saying really that in comparison, many past teams' SB wins are tainted because they didn't have enough injuries? I mean that is usually the main reason behind quality performances in the NFL (except of course the Pats in 2003 and 2004 winning the SB after horrendous injury situations).

I will agree that the without a SB win, the achievement will be little more than a footnote. But as of today, before the playoffs occur, it stands as a great accomplishment.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 12-30-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote