Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #151
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I don't know why but I'm liking this considerably more than Heroes, and yet America does not agree with me.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #152
dime
High School JV

the show is definitely not as sharp as sportsnight was...but that doesn't mean it's bad. just not sorkin at his finest.

the "stolen material" about dropping food with bombs and all that was embarassingly unfunny.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #153
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, it wasn't a funny sketch, but it made for a good episode.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #154
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Good news from the full ratings for Monday

Heroes is helping the peacock fly.

The freshman show, about regular folks the world over who discover they have super powers, has seen its audience grow each of its three week. Last night's episode grew 7 percent from the previous week in adults 18-49.

The episode, which featured the introduction of effectively creepy arch-villain Sylar, scored a 5.9 rating, 14 share in adults 18-49, with 13.3 million viewers overall, making it the number one new show of the fall season. The show helped Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip recover from a slide last Monday--last night, Studio grew 12 percent from the week before.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_7955.asp
NBC's 'Studio 60' tumbles to new low
Troubled drama falls 18 percent, to a 3.1 in 18-49s

By Toni Fitzgerald
Oct 17, 2006

After recording its first week-to-week uptick in ratings last week, NBC’s highly touted drama “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” dipped to a series-low for last night’s episode, erasing all of the previous week’s gains and then some.

The 10 p.m. show averaged a 3.1 in adults 18-49, according to Nielsen overnights, down 18 percent from last week’s 3.8. It was also down 9 percent from the show’s previous low, a 3.4 on Oct. 2.

“Strip” dipped to third place in the timeslot, behind ABC’s “What About Brian,” which was up week to week from its premiere.

So what’s the problem with “Strip?” Though certainly one issue, already raised by media people, is that the show is too inside Hollywood to draw non-media junkies, it may also be that the show’s quality is sliding.

After an excellent pilot, the show has slumped into inertia of sorts, with a love story that doesn’t go anywhere and no overall plotline giving the show urgency. Another issue is the writing for the show-within-a-show’s comedy sketches. They’re rarely funny, and they take up too much of the program’s time.

Certainly all new shows go through ups and downs creatively, and though the stories may have faltered, creator Aaron Sorkin still offers crackling dialogue. But this latest ratings downturn is certainly not good for a show that media people already tabbed the year’s most disappointing in a recent Media Life poll.

Yet it’s worth noting that NBC still won the night among 18-49s, its fourth victory in five weeks, thanks to the strength of its 8-10 p.m. lineup of “Deal or No Deal” and “Heroes.”
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #156
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #157
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I don't understand that article at all. I think the show has only gotten better since it's pilot.

It's a shame that the ratings have been dropping, but I still bet this survives for the full season. NBC just doesn't have much else to replace it with and already have other holes on the schedule. It'll be interesting to see if the ratings spike after MNF is done.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #158
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It'll be interesting to see if the ratings spike after MNF is done.

I'd be surprised if it lasts that long.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #159
Coop
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

So what’s the problem with “Strip?” Though certainly one issue, already raised by media people, is that the show is too inside Hollywood to draw non-media junkies, it may also be that the show’s quality is sliding.

After an excellent pilot, the show has slumped into inertia of sorts, with a love story that doesn’t go anywhere and no overall plotline giving the show urgency. Another issue is the writing for the show-within-a-show’s comedy sketches. They’re rarely funny, and they take up too much of the program’s time.

I agree with all of these points, i think next week might be the last week I watch this show. Another thing, the only character I really like is Matthew Perry's character.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #160
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd be surprised if it lasts that long.

Why? What does NBC have to move in there? They already have to deal with Friday Night Lights and Kidnapped. 30 Rock and 20 Good Years had underwhelming premieres and I doubt either of those will survive. If this show was on CBS, it would have been cancelled already, but the fact it's on NBC wil buy it some more time. Also, they've poured alot of money into this show, so they have a big interest in seeing it become successful. Moreso than the aforementioned shows.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #161
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why? What does NBC have to move in there? They already have to deal with Friday Night Lights and Kidnapped. 30 Rock and 20 Good Years had underwhelming premieres and I doubt either of those will survive. If this show was on CBS, it would have been cancelled already, but the fact it's on NBC wil buy it some more time. Also, they've poured alot of money into this show, so they have a big interest in seeing it become successful. Moreso than the aforementioned shows.

ding ding

the salaries for matthew perry and the west-wing alum guy (yeah you can tell i'm real good with borderline famous actor's names) alone give them a reason to keep this show plugging past when they might otherwise cancel it early.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #162
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

they can just plug the whole lineup with Deal or No Deal and they would get many more viewers.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #163
Celeval
Pro Starter

Add in the success of Sorkin's previous shows, I can't see Studio 60 being cancelled short of the full season. Moved off Monday night at 10, perhaps.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #164
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
they can just plug the whole lineup with Deal or No Deal and they would get many more viewers.

That strategy was disastrous for Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and Deal or No Deal isn't even close to that show at it's peak. They're probably already stretching it with two airings a week.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #165
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Add in the success of Sorkin's previous shows

Careful not to overestimate that.

WW lasted seven seasons & had a good run while SN was a critical success that failed to get over with audiences.

Right now S60 isn't doing either.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #166
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

FWIW, I thought last night's episode was the weakest yet, especially disappointing since the episode that preceded it was the strongest. There wasn't enough humor--Perry was relegated to looking dour the entire show and Whitford didn't have enough screen time. Too much time was devoted to the rather preachy and incredible (as in quite literally not credible) behavior of network execs Peet and Asner. Sting was just a distraction.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #167
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just saw last night's episode (DVR recording). I like the show, I think the dialogue is great (I wasn't a fan of the West Wing for its very left leaning politics typified by that utterly ridiculous presidential race in the last season), but I agree that inertia has already hit the show. Not good to hit that line so early. I like the dialogue, but its losing me. It's a show I feel I can wait to see the recording of, unlike, say, Heroes (which I have to see the night it comes out... either live or on recording).
Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #168
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I like Studio 60, but its not grabbing me. I enjoy the characters, the dialogue and what not, but its fast becoming an attempt at a character study - in which the main characters are often shunted of the the side (Sting ? Martha whatshername ?). I want to see it succeed, but I doubt it lasts at this rate.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #169
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54117

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #170
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Yeah I like Studio 60, but its not grabbing me. I enjoy the characters, the dialogue and what not, but its fast becoming an attempt at a character study - in which the main characters are often shunted of the the side (Sting ? Martha whatshername ?). I want to see it succeed, but I doubt it lasts at this rate.

One line from this show last night summed up for me why it's not a hit (not verbatim):

"Half of this country hates the other half, but for 90 minutes each week, you two can put your differences aside and shine."

I enjoy Sorkin's writing. I enjoy the acting. But, please, PLEASE, come off your high horse. It's about making a television comedy show, not about solving national issues.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #171
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
One line from this show last night summed up for me why it's not a hit (not verbatim):

"Half of this country hates the other half, but for 90 minutes each week, you two can put your differences aside and shine."

I enjoy Sorkin's writing. I enjoy the acting. But, please, PLEASE, come off your high horse. It's about making a television comedy show, not about solving national issues.

He's been on that horse for a long time now. I don't think he's ever coming down.

It's not always bad. Sometimes he brings out some really good stuff while preaching at the same time. Sports Night actually had alot of preaching, but it was more subtle and done in humorous ways. That line you mentioned was pretty awkward, though.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #172
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
He's been on that horse for a long time now. I don't think he's ever coming down.

It's not always bad. Sometimes he brings out some really good stuff while preaching at the same time. Sports Night actually had alot of preaching, but it was more subtle and done in humorous ways. That line you mentioned was pretty awkward, though.

The high horse was somewhat warranted on the West Wing. That show was about the White House. About world affairs. This is about a television show.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #173
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The high horse was somewhat warranted on the West Wing. That show was about the White House. About world affairs. This is about a television show.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying it's not likely he will come down from it. The best hope is he can be more subtle about it.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #174
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

FWIW, I think part of the reason it has been canceled has been dealt with in-show. The normal viewers of a Sorkin show are worth more than the average viewer...

I like the show... but there's something about it that just doesn't get me the way Hero's is. For one, they need to stop showing so much of the sketch show, that pregnancy skit was horrible.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #175
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
FWIW, I think part of the reason it has been canceled has been dealt with in-show. The normal viewers of a Sorkin show are worth more than the average viewer...

I like the show... but there's something about it that just doesn't get me the way Hero's is. For one, they need to stop showing so much of the sketch show, that pregnancy skit was horrible.

Cancelled???
Old 10-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #176
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Cancelled???

"
Old 10-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #177
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I checked mediaweek, futon critic, yahoo tv, variety, and hollywood reporter, and there is no mention of a cancellation. I think that post was a bit of jumping the gun.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #178
Coop
High School JV

http://community.tvguide.com/forum.j...umID=700000049

Quote:
Studio 60 is getting sacked by Friday Night Lights. At least temporarily.

Sources confirm that NBC is handing Studio 60's Monday/10 pm time-slot over to FNL on Oct. 30 for what I'm told is a one-night experiment. But, let's face it, if FNL performs better than Studio 60 — and that bar has been set pretty darn low — we may be looking at the birth of a Monday night football franchise on NBC.

All told, this is a great vote of confidence for FNL and an ominous bit of foreshadowing for Aaron Sorkin's struggling drama.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #179
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Oct. 30th airing of Studio 60 was scheduled to be a repeat, so this isn't the major deal they're making it out to be. They're probably just testing to see if Friday Night Lights will be a better fit for Heroes. It might be, but it should have even more difficulty competing with MNF.

I really don't see NBC giving up on Studio 60 so quickly. They gave Sorkin a 13 episode guarantee and paid a fortune for those 13 episodes. If they determine it doesn't fit at Monday night (which is not where they originally wanted it anyways), they can always try it out in a different slot. They have a history of sticking with low-rated shows, and it paid off big time with The Office last year.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #180
Coop
High School JV

Dont forget Seinfeld, that kind of paid off
Old 10-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #181
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

NOTE: I meant to say, the reason it hasn't been canceled...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #182
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
All told, this is a great vote of confidence for FNL and an ominous bit of foreshadowing for Aaron Sorkin's struggling drama.

How is putting FNL up against Monday Night Football a good thing for that show? It would seem to me that this move would hurt a football based show...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #183
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In a tangent that could prove relevant to the future of S60:

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ex_31.asp#7995
NBC plans major cutbacks in workforce and shows
A broad axe is falling at NBC Universal. The General Electric Co. division plans to reduce its use of scripted shows on NBC and to shrink the network's spending on news, as part of an effort to eliminate $750 million of operating expenses by the end of next year, according to several reports this morning. The cuts will affect about 700 NBC Universal workers, or 5 percent of its payroll. Most of the layoffs will come in the news department. The company is expected to confirm the moves later today. Over the past two years, NBC slipped into fourth place among adults 18-49 and saw its upfront take plummet. Meanwhile, NBC Universal's operating profit has dropped 10 percent in each of the last three quarters. The cutbacks reportedly will include the elimination of scripted shows in the 8-9 p.m. primetime slots. Those shows are much more expensive than reality TV and game shows, and NBC hasn't had a huge scripted hit since "Friends" and "Frasier" ended two years ago. Jeff Zucker, head of NBC Universal's television group, told The Wall Street Journal that NBC pays $1.1 million for an episode of the game show "Deal or No Deal," compared to $2.6 million per episode for the drama "Friday Night Lights."
Old 10-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #184
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

A broad axe is falling at NBC Universal. The General Electric Co. division plans to reduce its use of scripted shows on NBC and to shrink the network's spending on news, as part of an effort to eliminate $750 million of operating expenses by the end of next year, according to several reports this morning. The cuts will affect about 700 NBC Universal workers, or 5 percent of its payroll. Most of the layoffs will come in the news department. The company is expected to confirm the moves later today. Over the past two years, NBC slipped into fourth place among adults 18-49 and saw its upfront take plummet. Meanwhile, NBC Universal's operating profit has dropped 10 percent in each of the last three quarters. The cutbacks reportedly will include the elimination of scripted shows in the 8-9 p.m. primetime slots. Those shows are much more expensive than reality TV and game shows, and NBC hasn't had a huge scripted hit since "Friends" and "Frasier" ended two years ago. Jeff Zucker, head of NBC Universal's television group, told The Wall Street Journal that NBC pays $1.1 million for an episode of the game show "Deal or No Deal," compared to $2.6 million per episode for the drama "Friday Night Lights."

That's depressing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #185
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

TV is quickly becoming irrelevant. What a bunch of idiots.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #186
Joe
Pro Starter

probably because of all the money they had to spend on Sunday Night Football
Old 10-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #187
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

So basically NBC is cutting their budget because they are in fourth place... with the result being that they stay in fourth place. Unscripted television isn't what saves networks, it's scripted long running television series that do this. Case in point is ABC, which jumped out of last place on the backs of Desperate Housewives and Lost.

As longs as NBC doesn't cancel Heroes & The Office I'll be okay. I'm sure the other networks will be happy to pick up the scripted shows NBC passes on.

What makes this story even funnier is that NBC is doing the exact opposite of the fake network in Studio 60.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #188
Coop
High School JV

Heroes is doing great in the ratings so that isnt going anywhere, so is the office. this is kind of depressing stuff to read.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #189
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Heroes is doing great in the ratings so that isnt going anywhere, so is the office. this is kind of depressing stuff to read.

I wouldn't say The Office is doing great. It's finished 3rd in its timeslot and 10th on Thursdays in total viewers the past 3 weeks (9th for the season premier)
Old 10-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #190
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

well here's one viewer they'll lose then. UGH...I am so sick of all the "unscripted" reality shows/gameshows. BORRRRRRRINGGG
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #191
rowech
Pro Starter

TV SUCKS!!!!! There needs to be actual sitcoms that get this...are funny. I watch basically three shows in a week. House being the only one I would classify as a can't miss. The rest of TV just doesn't cut it. I enjoy CSI and Two and a Half Men.

Shows I thought had promise -- Four Kings, a show called Quintuplets (I think), and there was another one with a name that escapes me. These networks are in such a hurry to find the next hit, they aren't willing to give any show a chance if they don't hit it right away.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #192
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
There needs to be actual sitcoms that get this...are funny.

Quote:
I enjoy ... Two and a Half Men.

The two statements above do not make sense together...
LETS GO JAYS!!

Last edited by Joe Canadian : 10-19-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
These networks are in such a hurry to find the next hit, they aren't willing to give any show a chance if they don't hit it right away.

When a Desperate Housewives sized hit is getting more than $500k per :30 spot versus $100k-$150k per spot on the also-rans (multiply the diff. by the number of spots in a show & you'll see how quickly it adds up), I can't be too critical of networks for looking for a home run.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #194
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I wouldn't say The Office is doing great. It's finished 3rd in its timeslot and 10th on Thursdays in total viewers the past 3 weeks (9th for the season premier)

Yeah but generally advertisers aren't looking for total viewers. They're looking for Adults 18-49, a demographic that The Office is very successful in. For example, last week The Office was #11 for the Thursday night in total viewers but it was #6 in 18-49 (behind only Grey's Anatomy, CSI, ER, Survivor, and Ugly Betty). Last year, it was #69 out of all shows in total viewers but #31 in 18-49.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #195
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The two statements above do not make sense together...

Well to be fair he also said he thought Four Kings had promise. So we can see where his taste is.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #196
wade moore
lolzcat

Meh. I'm really growing to like this show more and more, so I hate to see that it's not doin gwell. But, again, I usually see one show I really like each season get dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #197
Barkeep49
Coordinator

While I thought last week's show was poor, it did have the first time I thought a sketch was funny: that Nancy Grace sketch? Yeah it made me smile.

I would be amazed if we don't get at least 18 episodes of Studio 60, for all the reasons already mentioned.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #198
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

New episode tonight, next week a rerun of Friday Night Lights has taken Studio 60's slot... could this be a sign of things to come? I think so, especially with the news NBC is trying to cut costs... there's no way they'll order more episodes after the 13 episode run they already have.

Sadly this show is dead...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #199
larrymcg421
Head Coach

As I noted earlier, the Studio 60 episode that was scheduled for Oct. 30 was the pilot, so they are only pre-empting a repeat. I don't think things are quite that ominous yet. I'll be more worried when NBC decides to give The Black Donnellys a try in the Monday 10pm slot.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #200
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
New episode tonight, next week a rerun of Friday Night Lights has taken Studio 60's slot... could this be a sign of things to come? I think so, especially with the news NBC is trying to cut costs... there's no way they'll order more episodes after the 13 episode run they already have.

Sadly this show is dead...

Next week was, I believe, already scheduled to be a Studio 60 rerun.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote