Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #151
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I thought my wife played a lot since she's generally on for like 4 or 5 hours an evening, but you must play 24 hours a day with eating or sleeping.

Nope. Pep's /played time is about 3 days. I created the char a little over a month ago and haven't really played my rogue (Ronsinn). So my time on this char averages to be about 2 hours/day. Since I haven't played Ronsinn, that's pretty much my entire WoW time during that period. Since I'm not playing any other games right now, that's the extent of my PC gaming time as well.

I usually get in about 45 minutes early in the AM. I wake up at 6 AM anyway and have to be at work at 8 (and I walk - it's 5 mins away). So while the rest of the family is sleeping, I play WoW and eat breakfast since I don't have ESPN to watch anymore. It's actually a lot of fun for solo time. All the mobs and bosses are there, there's no lag whatsoever...you can get a helluva lot of quests done in a short amount of time. No kewl doodz, no scammers, nothing. It's like having the gameworld to yourself.

So I play maybe an hour or two at night and one decent playsession during the weekend. Is it a lot? For some...but for many I'm not on much at all. I don't tend to play more than 2 hours at a time unless it's on the weekend.

I just find it easy to level in the game.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #152
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What are your secrets then? I play about the same amount (minus the morning) and am lucky to get over a level a night from 13 on.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #153
Blackadar
Retired

I don't know, Arles. I've even been told I level quickly by my guildmates for whatever reason. I can get a level a day/night even in the mid-30s.

I don't grind mobs...I tend to quests solo or in very small groups (when needed).

I tend to go into an area that's 2-4 levels below my character, grab a bunch of quests (mostly yellow, some green), kill the mobs, turn them in and repeat. I tend to turn in 3-4 quests at a time. A couple of rounds of that and I usually am close to popping the next level - until I get into the 40s, when it takes longer.

I got my latest character to level 10 in an hour. Proceeded to hit the area around IF, Dun Modr, Darkshore (not Darkshire) back to Dun Modr and Westfall in that order and the next thing I knew, I was about level 20. So on and so forth.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #154
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Seems like a good way to go. My problem is finding the quests for killing small groups and then finding the monsters. Those two by itself would probably take me a while. It also seems like a lot of travel to different spots.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #155
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Seems like a good way to go. My problem is finding the quests for killing small groups and then finding the monsters. Those two by itself would probably take me a while. It also seems like a lot of travel to different spots.

It's probably because I've done these before that it's so much easier the second time...www.thottbot.com doesn't hurt either.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:58 PM   #156
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

I like the way the Tradeskills are setup in that they are easy to do with the menu telling you how many items u need to make a certain thing. I have 300 Alchemy and 300 Herbalism and potions are very useful at any level, especially the heal potions. They are very handy since I am a Hunter and have no way to heal myself when I am playing solo other than with First Aid.
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #157
sabotai
General Manager

I use thottbot all the time.

What I do is get all of the quests in a region (that I can, sometimes that 20 limit is a pain in the ass) and then write down everything that I need on paper. I go to thottbot to find where everything is and map it out so that I can do several quests in a row. Most people will go do a quest, run back and turn it in and then do another and run back and turn it in, etc. That's a LOT of wasted time traveling back and forth.

And it is a LOT faster the second time through.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 PM   #158
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkilla22
I like the way the Tradeskills are setup in that they are easy to do with the menu telling you how many items u need to make a certain thing. I have 300 Alchemy and 300 Herbalism and potions are very useful at any level, especially the heal potions. They are very handy since I am a Hunter and have no way to heal myself when I am playing solo other than with First Aid.

My mage went with alchemy and herb...it is more useful than leatherworking, that's for sure.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #159
Danny
Head Coach

Leatherworking and blacksmithing do seem to be useless at high levels. Enchanting and Alchemy however seem to be still worthwhile though.

I wouldn't worry about trying to level fast, enjoy the play time and don't worry about how fast you level .
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:34 AM   #160
Blackadar
Retired

WoW has both its good and bad points and I've tried to point out both.

Here's a good point.

I log on this AM, as usual, while I eat my breakfast. I'm on for 20 minutes. I start and complete 1 quest, discover a new area on the map, gain about 10k exp (which is 1/8th of what I need to get to level 40) and log back off at an inn. In a 20 minute session. Now it helps that I know where I'm going, but that's still pretty cool.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:23 AM   #161
Thomkal
Head Coach

It is much easier to level quickly if you've been through a zone before and know where everything is, and where the mobs you can handle are. But its also a bit boring. I like the excitement of going into a zone for the first time and figuring out all the quests and seeing the "sights" for the first time.

I really like how WOW does tradeskills rather than EQ II. EQ II you have to go into a seperate zone to get to the craft area, and you have to pay attention while you are doing it or you can die. WOW is nice because you are right there in town/city with everybody else (and in some cases you can craft anywhere) and its a quick process. It's nice to relax a bit when coming back from a quest and craft and catch your breath.

Several of my characters are approaching/reached level 20, and its been tougher to find solo quests for many of them, especially a dwarf hunter in Loch Modan.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:44 AM   #162
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
It is much easier to level quickly if you've been through a zone before and know where everything is, and where the mobs you can handle are. But its also a bit boring. I like the excitement of going into a zone for the first time and figuring out all the quests and seeing the "sights" for the first time.

I really like how WOW does tradeskills rather than EQ II. EQ II you have to go into a seperate zone to get to the craft area, and you have to pay attention while you are doing it or you can die. WOW is nice because you are right there in town/city with everybody else (and in some cases you can craft anywhere) and its a quick process. It's nice to relax a bit when coming back from a quest and craft and catch your breath.

Several of my characters are approaching/reached level 20, and its been tougher to find solo quests for many of them, especially a dwarf hunter in Loch Modan.

No doubt that exploring locations for the first time is fun. I did quite a bit of that with my NE character.

As for leveling, WoW is not meant for you to stay in the proper zone for your race and level easily. There's just not enough quests to do it -you end up grinding mobs and while you can make good money doing that, it's horribly boring. Once you're done in Loch Modan, you need to head over to Ashenvale in the NE area and run the quests there. Then you might go to Redridge (human) and do many quests there, including Van Cleef. Then you may pop over to Astranaar in the NE area again before heading to, say, Redridge (human). So on and so forth.

Like between level 36-39, I've gone from STV to Desolace to the Scarlet Monestary to Arathi to Theramore (Dustwallow Marsh) and back to STV. It sounds like a lot of traveling, but it's really not - just doing 3-5 quests at a time and moving on to the next area. After this next run in STV, it'll be to the following zones, likely much in this order:

the Swamp of Sorrows (2 quests already and at least 2-5 that I can pick up there)
the Badlands (1 quest already and I know there's 3-5 there)
back to STV (3-5 quests involving trolls and the Bloodsail Bucs)
Alterac (already 2 quests waiting on me, but they're elite)
the Hinterlands (quite a few quests, area is 40+)
probably a quick stop back in Desolace (finish up some quests)
probably Dustwallow Marsh/Theramore (though there's not a lot of quests in that zone)
back to the Hinterlands

and finally finishing up in Feralas. 3-5 quests at a time...

It's all about knowing where to go next...and what's interesting is the game will give you "clues" - a quest or two in the next area. Once they've turned yellow or green, it's time to move to that area.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #163
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I'm must be horribly slow at leveling. 10,000 Exp in a hour? My goodness. I'd consider that a good evening.

I'm really enjoying the talent trees now. Lots of interesting choices. I spent two hours last night learning about the three classes of priest talents, and figuring out a build. Surprisingly, it was fun. When you start to understand the combat system, you start to realize how helpful some of those talents can be. Also, there are offensive talents, defensive talents, PvP-oriented talents, solo-oriented talents, and PvE-oriented talents. Lots of tough choices in there.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #164
Blackadar
Retired

Actually, that was 10k in 20 minutes....
Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #165
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
I'm must be horribly slow at leveling. 10,000 Exp in a hour? My goodness. I'd consider that a good evening.

I'm really enjoying the talent trees now. Lots of interesting choices. I spent two hours last night learning about the three classes of priest talents, and figuring out a build. Surprisingly, it was fun. When you start to understand the combat system, you start to realize how helpful some of those talents can be. Also, there are offensive talents, defensive talents, PvP-oriented talents, solo-oriented talents, and PvE-oriented talents. Lots of tough choices in there.
Yeah, when you get into the upper levels, 10k exp is nothing. I solo mid 50's elite mobs and get 1200 rested exp per kill. The quests are 5k - 10k exp per quest. So it's all to scale. It might seem like a lot while your in your 20's or 30's but it isn't.

And like Blackadar said. There are tons of quests in most zones and there is more than one zone you can go to while at a certain level and do quests. You shouldn't really have to grind much at all. There should be enough quests that you can do so that you can be just doing quests and killing the mobs during those quests. You just have to find them.

Last edited by mrkilla22 : 02-24-2005 at 12:29 PM.
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #166
Danny
Head Coach

I'm level 54 and haven't had to grind non quest monsters at all.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:57 PM   #167
Blackadar
Retired

Pepper is now level 40 and running around on a brand-new battle chicken.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #168
Bad-example
College Starter

I hit 43 and just completed my armorsmith quests. 340 mithril bars and I mined all but the 3 stacks I bought at the AH.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #169
Ragone
Pro Rookie

blackadar.. i hate winterspring yeti.. that is all

i'm sure you know the quest

My priest just hit raid level(55) much to my guilds approval hah

I second using thottbot to find quests around your lower levels.

A few tips
"Don't kill timbermaw furbolgs"
"Pick a craft early and keep up with it"

Last edited by Ragone : 02-25-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #170
Blackadar
Retired

I understand about Winterspring Yeti...

I think you have to go back and kill more 3-4 times.

Gratz on 55.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:51 AM   #171
Blackadar
Retired

This is meant to help those who are trying to level...

Over the weekend, Pep hit 43 (yes, I did play quite a bit since it's raining here). I finished off STV (except for a couple of high-level quests I can't even get yet), Atlerac, Desolace, the Swamp of Sorrows and the Badlands. I pretty much solo'd everthing but a few quests in STV and Alterac.

I didn't run the Uldaman instance in the Barrens and may not at this point. As an aside, I didn't do either of the Razorfen instances, Blackfathom Deep or Gnomergan. I've really only run the Deadmines and...I think that may be it. I will run Zul (in Gadget), no doubt. I'll also run Maradron (Desolace) because it has some of the best loot in the game. But I need to be close to level 50 to enter it.

So now what?

Now, according to plan, I hit places that start at 40. Remember I like to be 4-5 levels above the beginning level of my next zone. I'm not quite there yet, but it's either start new zones or grind. If I get a chance to run Ulda in the next couple of days, I'll do it. Otherwise, I will have passed it by in levels and it won't be worth my while. Ulda is a tough instance and the loot really isn't worth it.

My choices really narrow now. I only have a couple of zones to hit.

Tanaris (Gadget) (40-50)
Feralas (40-50)

I may also check out Dustwallow Marsh. There's not a lot of quests there, but perhaps I can pick up one or two. It's really a shame how underdeveloped that zone is.

But that's really it for now. I'll start in Gadget because of two reasons - I know there are a ton of quests there and since it's wide open, it's a bit easier. I'll save Feralas for another couple of levels. Again, I'll hit the Zul instance sometime in my mid 40s here. The quest rewards aren't bad and it can be a lot of fun for a mage.

Yes, your choices get limited at this level but it's not as bad as it seems. Gadget has a ton of quests and Feralas isn't bad in that regards either. My choices won't stay limited for long...I need to get to 47-48 and a whole new bunch of zones open up. I'll likely hit them in the following order:

Hinterlands (40-50) - like Gadget and Felwood, but IMHO the mobs and quests are a bit tougher. Good to be in the high 40s here. Not a ton of quests, but enough. Good grinding mobs (Trolls) - perhaps the best in the game for loot. Also, the Hinterlands is an alchemy/herbalism professional's best place.

Aszhara (45-50) - not a ton of quests, but enough. Probably one of my favorite zones - I just like the view.

Searing Gorge (43-50) - but much closer to 50 IMHO from a quest standpoint. The few quests here can be very difficult. I've grinded a lot here with my other character for Hearts of Fire (elemental leatherworking). This is a good zone to have a buddy or two with you. Many of the quests almost require one.

Blasted Lands (45-55) - again, enter when you're above level 50. Not a whole lot here, surprisingly. There's some repeatable quests close to the Swamp of Sorrows entrance, but half the zone is taken up by 55-60 elites. My guess is another instance will be coming in this zone in a future patch.

After those?

Felwood (48-55) - a TON of quests...a lot of travel time up and down the zone. I hate this place because it's so damned depressing. Also, the fight pattern to get there is the worst. Make your first order of business to improve your standing with the Furbolgs (quest found in the extreme northern part of the zone, mobs at the extreme southern part) so you can activate the flight path to Moonglade. You're better off flying there and running back through the tunnel.

UnGoro Crater (50-55) - one of my favorite zones with a lot of quests as well. Major aggro problems here, tho. There's a ton of wandering mobs and you'll tend to pick them up quickly. So you need to be careful and it helps to have the ability to take on two at the same time.

Winterspring (55) - another great (beautiful) zone, but not as many quests.

Western Plaguelands (55-60) - many quests, horrifically hard. Bring friends.

Eastern Plaguelands (55-60) - another zone of a lot of quests but very difficult. Bring a friggin' army.

Burning Steppes (55-60) - I never have quested here. Bring fire protection for the mobs, tho.

Deadwind Pass (55-60) - nothing here beyond high level mobs. No quests.

Sililhus (55-60) - you get there through Ungoro. There are mobs here, but they don't even have loot tables yet. So you can get exp, but no loot. Interesting looking place though.

I hope this helps those of you trying to level up. Cya in Azeroth!
Old 02-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #172
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Thanks, this should help. Finding quests has been a pain ever since my mage hit 50.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #173
MikeVic
Head Coach

I find that I'll have quite a few quests that are green when I go back to an area.. I still do them, but wanted to know if anyone else does? Or do you just do yellow and up?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:04 PM   #174
sabotai
General Manager

Yes, I still do the green ones. I'll even do some the gray ones too (recently turned gray that is and provided they aren't a pain in the ass to do.).

Last edited by sabotai : 02-28-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:42 PM   #175
Danny
Head Coach

Again, the point of the game is to have fun, not level as fast as possible . I'll generally do most to all greens. If a quest is grey, but sounds like it could be fun, I will do it as well.

Last edited by Danny : 02-28-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:04 PM   #176
Ragone
Pro Rookie

haha Blackadar..

Beyold the joys of the Tyrant Devilsaur
Old 02-28-2005, 10:06 PM   #177
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, I've been kinda taking my time leveling...like I don't power level or even usually just kill guys for XP. It's mostly quests and sometimes will go for skinning (my craft).

Played my alliance guy today for first time in like 2 weeks, I've got my undead priest up to lvl 18 now (Evila on Elune). It's awesome being a priest. When I play as my hunter, I miss being able to heal. I seriously love playing as a priest, esp. in a group. The first big group I played in an instance (lvl 12 or so) was the most fun I've ever had with WoW, and it was like day 5-6 with my priest. Good times
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #178
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
haha Blackadar..

Beyold the joys of the Tyrant Devilsaur

That damn thing is the Blizz GM's ganking machine. How something that big can creep up on you silently is beyond me.

I got revenge though. I specifically went back to Ungoro with my 60 rogue and proceeded to beat the ever livin' shit out of that thing. Let me tell you - it felt good.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:44 PM   #179
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I find that I'll have quite a few quests that are green when I go back to an area.. I still do them, but wanted to know if anyone else does? Or do you just do yellow and up?

I do greens. They usually aren't too bad for exp and the mobs are easy. I don't generally do green elites. Just not worth the trouble.

I actually went through Ulda tonight. Sadly, I had dropped most of the quests, so it wasn't a big exp night for me - the mobs were green and I had only 1 quest. Actually, it was the slowest exp night for me in quite a while. Probably because I also farmed SM with a couple of other guys to get a good staff. I'm usually not a loot whore, but I wanted this:

hxxp://www.thottbot.com/?i=3228

Illusionary Rod
Level 34
Binds when picked up
Two-Hand Staff
94 - 142 Damage Speed 3.40
(34.7 damage per second)
+7 Stamina
+15 Intellect
+10 Spirit
Durability 100 / 100

Got it now...which is nice. It only took 2 runs. Gives me a decent weapon. Spent about 5g in the AH as well and another 5 getting the rest of my artisan alchemy recipes. Still, I've gone from 5g to 40g (with a ton of stuff for sale this evening at the AH) in less than 4 levels.

I'm a bar or so away from 44 now. I'm hitting Tanaris the next session - that should kick off a bunch of quests.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:33 AM   #180
Ragone
Pro Rookie

My priest is 56 black.. and i've used that staff since i got it doing sm runs at 32.. their is a very sad lack of 2h staves...

The rod for killing princess in maurdon is nice for a downtime item.. but not as a equip item.. Did my first pickup raid of Stratholme(Baron side).. 2 groups.. i'm only priest, was nuts but fun.. Picked up Class drop Devout Pants
Old 03-01-2005, 05:27 AM   #181
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Burning Steppes (55-60) - I never have quested here. Bring fire protection for the mobs, tho

I have quested extensively in Burning Steppes.. its a good zone at those levels.. tons of quests(including the start of the onyxia key line)
Old 03-01-2005, 07:14 AM   #182
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Burning Steppes (55-60) - I never have quested here. Bring fire protection for the mobs, tho

I have quested extensively in Burning Steppes.. its a good zone at those levels.. tons of quests(including the start of the onyxia key line)

Cool. I'll have to try it in a few levels. I just totally forgot about the Steppes when I was in my high 50s on my rogue. Of course, rogues have an aversion to fire mobs, so it was probably a subconcious decision.

Anyway, Pep hit 44 this morning by going to turn in a couple of quests in the Badlands. No fuss, no muss. It's a good level for a frost mage, with the next level of frostbolt and ice storm. I forgot how expensive skills get at higher levels tho. Ouch!

I only have 1 quest left in the Badlands, but I can't do it until I get closer to level 50. Same with Arathi.

Anyway, I traveled to Gadget to pick up quests. I had 7 quests in my log when I went to Gadget. I now have between 15-17, and at least 4 are yellow. I also have to travel to Steamwheedle Port and there's a guy in the desert who will give a couple of more quests. That will totally fill up my quest log again. Woot!

Quite a few of my quests are orange/red, but they're Zul (instance) quests. I should be able to hit that in just a few levels and I should be in that instance this weekend. It's a fun one...not the best, but one well worth going through.

If you're wanting to level faster, this is the way. Clear your quest log. Hit a new area and get every single quest you can. It's a lot more efficient. I made the mistake of having a few quests here, a few quests there, etc. on my rogue. Seemed like I was traveling a lot just to do 1 or 2 quests. Now, I'm running 3-5 at a time.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #183
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Hey, my Night Elf just made level 19

I also just found the wonders of the entire auction process. I've been gathering up bunches of linen and wool and selling them for 30+ silve per set of 20. I've amassed about 4 gold at level 19 by doing this. I've also realized the advantage of buying weapons and armor from the auction house and found that it's both cheaper and better than vendors. Having all pimped out gear that boosts stats has done a wonder for my ability to stay alive and I've gained four levels in two days since upgrading my gear.

Oh, well, better late than never on learning this I guess
Old 03-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #184
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

I also just found the wonders of the entire auction process. I've been gathering up bunches of linen and wool and selling them for 30+ silve per set of 20. I've amassed about 4 gold at level 19 by doing this. I've also realized the advantage of buying weapons and armor from the auction house and found that it's both cheaper and better than vendors. Having all pimped out gear that boosts stats has done a wonder for my ability to stay alive and I've gained four levels in two days since upgrading my gear.

I can't believe you are playing one of those filthy night elves now. For the Horde!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #185
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

The AH gets vastly more expensive at later levels. Actually, in some ways you're hitting it at the right time. Because most players are higher levels, there's less demand on those goods you need at your level. I had to vendor sell most of my armor/weapons until just the last few levels because I couldn't get them to sell on the AH, even at rock-bottom prices.

For example, lately I've been selling silk at 45s a bundle. I've collected a ton of silk from the mobs I've been fighting. 45s is the MINIMUM suggested AH price - when you put 20 silk in the auction slot, that's the price that comes up. You almost always increase that price. A month or two ago, I was moving silk at 75-85s per bundle because everyone needed bags and silk can craft 10 slot bags. Now there's just no demand - it's just easier to get mageweave or runecloth bags for free from a guildmate.

It's really a problem with the crafting system that low-level goods aren't used in high-level recipes. Iridescent pearls that were going for 5g are down to 1g. So on and so forth. Blizz should have made high-level crafted gear take low-level components to keep demand higher.

You're also seeing high-levels sending money to their low-level alts (like mine - how do you think I afforded my mount for my mage). So "uber" (blue) gear at lower levels is also rising quickly. If you don't much care about "uber" gear at mid-level, you can find good deals on just "good" gear (green items). So if you're a buyer, it's a good time. If you're a seller, it's awful compared to the way it was.

But the demand continues to climb (as well as the prices) on level 60 goods. Since there aren't many money sinks, price is pretty unimportant at 60 because everyone has a ton of money. So on high-end gear, you're seeing weapon prices at 300-500g (and more)! A month ago, that same gear was 75-100g. So you tend to see a lot of intra-guild guild buying and selling of needed level 60 crafted items - potions, enchantments, etc.

It's an interesting economy. Some gear/materials continues to climb dramatically while most low-level gear falls in price.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-01-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #186
Bad-example
College Starter

I have given up on WoW, at least for now.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #187
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
I have given up on WoW, at least for now.

Why?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #188
Bad-example
College Starter

Got bored trying to kill stuff with my paladin, and no other class interests me.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #189
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It seems to me that wool and linen should be consistent from a price and demand. It's something all low level crafters need.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #190
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Got bored trying to kill stuff with my paladin, and no other class interests me.

The pally is probably the most boring class of all. You really have a tough time dying but you really can't kill quickly either. You just rush to a mob, pop a seal and that's about it. Heal/shield every once in a while.

It's reasonable that no other class may interest you...I wasn't interested in a rogue until I found out how underpowered my warrior was. Now I have a mage and I think I've really found a class I like.

Went to Ulda last night and there's a few points that you get swarmed by lower level mobs (scorpions) - 8-10 or so. I went in and arcaned AoE'd those mobs - 150 points of damage, 10 mobs, every two seconds. My DPS was off the chart. It was awesome. Once I got done, you could barely see my little gnome with all the bodies piled up. I did the same with some elites - it cost me my little gnome's life - but I saved everyone else's butt doing it.

I think finding the right class is key to the enjoyment of the game. My rogue is ok. My mage is sweet.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:49 PM   #191
Ragone
Pro Rookie

If i put a runecloth bag up at 2.75g buyout.. it sells within the hour.. no matter what time it is..
Old 03-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #192
sabotai
General Manager

Atenkane is at level 20.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:20 AM   #193
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
If i put a runecloth bag up at 2.75g buyout.. it sells within the hour.. no matter what time it is..

That's cheap...they've usually gone for 4g50s when I've looked
Old 03-07-2005, 12:55 AM   #194
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hydekl is level 24 now.

I also have a level 8 undead priest on the Laughing Skull server named Fallenpreach
Old 03-07-2005, 12:56 AM   #195
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I dunno what zone i hate more.. azshara.. or felwood
Old 03-07-2005, 01:00 AM   #196
Danny
Head Coach

Pondura is level 56. I also have a level 15 Troll rogue named Vaga.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #197
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
This is meant to help those who are trying to level...

Over the weekend, Pep hit 43 (yes, I did play quite a bit since it's raining here). I finished off STV (except for a couple of high-level quests I can't even get yet), Atlerac, Desolace, the Swamp of Sorrows and the Badlands. I pretty much solo'd everthing but a few quests in STV and Alterac.

I didn't run the Uldaman instance in the Barrens and may not at this point. As an aside, I didn't do either of the Razorfen instances, Blackfathom Deep or Gnomergan. I've really only run the Deadmines and...I think that may be it. I will run Zul (in Gadget), no doubt. I'll also run Maradron (Desolace) because it has some of the best loot in the game. But I need to be close to level 50 to enter it.

So now what?

Now, according to plan, I hit places that start at 40. Remember I like to be 4-5 levels above the beginning level of my next zone. I'm not quite there yet, but it's either start new zones or grind. If I get a chance to run Ulda in the next couple of days, I'll do it. Otherwise, I will have passed it by in levels and it won't be worth my while. Ulda is a tough instance and the loot really isn't worth it.

My choices really narrow now. I only have a couple of zones to hit.

Tanaris (Gadget) (40-50)
Feralas (40-50)

I may also check out Dustwallow Marsh. There's not a lot of quests there, but perhaps I can pick up one or two. It's really a shame how underdeveloped that zone is.

But that's really it for now. I'll start in Gadget because of two reasons - I know there are a ton of quests there and since it's wide open, it's a bit easier. I'll save Feralas for another couple of levels. Again, I'll hit the Zul instance sometime in my mid 40s here. The quest rewards aren't bad and it can be a lot of fun for a mage.

Yes, your choices get limited at this level but it's not as bad as it seems. Gadget has a ton of quests and Feralas isn't bad in that regards either. My choices won't stay limited for long...I need to get to 47-48 and a whole new bunch of zones open up. I'll likely hit them in the following order:

Hinterlands (40-50) - like Gadget and Felwood, but IMHO the mobs and quests are a bit tougher. Good to be in the high 40s here. Not a ton of quests, but enough. Good grinding mobs (Trolls) - perhaps the best in the game for loot. Also, the Hinterlands is an alchemy/herbalism professional's best place.

Aszhara (45-50) - not a ton of quests, but enough. Probably one of my favorite zones - I just like the view.

Searing Gorge (43-50) - but much closer to 50 IMHO from a quest standpoint. The few quests here can be very difficult. I've grinded a lot here with my other character for Hearts of Fire (elemental leatherworking). This is a good zone to have a buddy or two with you. Many of the quests almost require one.

Blasted Lands (45-55) - again, enter when you're above level 50. Not a whole lot here, surprisingly. There's some repeatable quests close to the Swamp of Sorrows entrance, but half the zone is taken up by 55-60 elites. My guess is another instance will be coming in this zone in a future patch.

After those?

Felwood (48-55) - a TON of quests...a lot of travel time up and down the zone. I hate this place because it's so damned depressing. Also, the fight pattern to get there is the worst. Make your first order of business to improve your standing with the Furbolgs (quest found in the extreme northern part of the zone, mobs at the extreme southern part) so you can activate the flight path to Moonglade. You're better off flying there and running back through the tunnel.

UnGoro Crater (50-55) - one of my favorite zones with a lot of quests as well. Major aggro problems here, tho. There's a ton of wandering mobs and you'll tend to pick them up quickly. So you need to be careful and it helps to have the ability to take on two at the same time.

Winterspring (55) - another great (beautiful) zone, but not as many quests.

Western Plaguelands (55-60) - many quests, horrifically hard. Bring friends.

Eastern Plaguelands (55-60) - another zone of a lot of quests but very difficult. Bring a friggin' army.

Burning Steppes (55-60) - I never have quested here. Bring fire protection for the mobs, tho.

Deadwind Pass (55-60) - nothing here beyond high level mobs. No quests.

Sililhus (55-60) - you get there through Ungoro. There are mobs here, but they don't even have loot tables yet. So you can get exp, but no loot. Interesting looking place though.

I hope this helps those of you trying to level up. Cya in Azeroth!

Just an update off of this post.

Pepper is now two bars from level 49 - so I'm just about 6 levels higher from when I posted this. Yes, I've been playing more than normal this past week.

I've really been scrounging for quests - there's *just* enough quests to keep you leveling without grinding, but it's awfully close. I have just about polished off Feralas, Tanaris and lately the Hinterlands/Searing Gorge. Made a few runs through Zul'Farak as well. Quests that would have seemed optional before - like Whisky Slim's Lost Grog - become very necessary. I have just a few quests left in each of the above areas - 1 or 2 (at most) that require grouping or are just plain hard. There's a whole lot more grouping above level 35 necessary. Instances, elites and just plain hard quests (like escort quests) require a group of 2-5 characters. But for all intents and purposes, I'm pretty much done with those areas.

You'll carry some quests for a lot longer on your log at these levels. Things like the Princess in Arathi, or Whisky Slim and a few others will sit in your quest log for 5-10 levels before you're strong enough to do them.

I forgot how much traveling is required for quests at this level. The runs from Tanaris to the Hinterlands can be murdre for a normal character. As a mage, I can portal to any of the 3 major cities at will AND I still have my hearthstone once an hour. So I set the hearth at Tanaris and I can pretty much be anyplace in the world in 10 minutes. So for a mage, it's a small world after all.

I'm about to make the jump into the next bunch of areas and need to be more powerful - Aszhara, Felwood, Ungoro and the Blasted Lands. Not in that order. Probably more of an order like 1/2 of Blasted, Azshara, Ungoro and then Felwood. I have a feeling that I'll either have to make a few runs through Maraudon or grind a bit at some point. So far, I've been lucky enough to avoid having to do that.

On to Maraudon!

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-07-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #198
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, I finally started playing. Boy did time fly on Saturday night.

Grilge is an 8th level Troll Mage on Shadow Council.

I've had a good time so far. Grouping turned out to be pretty easy to do (and made completing quests a lot easier). The folks on Shadow Council (a RP server) are nice, helpful, and role-play pretty much all the time except when it doesn't make sense (like explaining my UI questions, for instance).

Some quests are hard to figure out at first, but I like that "aha!" moment of discovery when you realize what you're supposed to be doing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 09:04 AM   #199
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, here's a question: Where are the Mage Trainers in Durotar?

Obviously there's on right outside of The Den. Then there's on in Sei'jin Village. However, I've been unable to find one in Razor Hill, and thottbot.com says there aren't any in Ogrimmar. Is this true? If so, it's going to get annoying to run back to Sei'jin Village (which doesn't appear to have an inn) every time I need to add some spells.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #200
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
OK, here's a question: Where are the Mage Trainers in Durotar?

Obviously there's on right outside of The Den. Then there's on in Sei'jin Village. However, I've been unable to find one in Razor Hill, and thottbot.com says there aren't any in Ogrimmar. Is this true? If so, it's going to get annoying to run back to Sei'jin Village (which doesn't appear to have an inn) every time I need to add some spells.

I have no idea what the other villages are that you speak of, but Ogrimmar (and many other towns/cities) have flying services that you can pay for. Letting you know in case you didn't know that already. It saves a lot of time.