Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #151
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
You own the NHL rights for those players. Non-NHL teams are offering them contracts. If it works like real life, I think you have one year (after they go pro) to sign them to a contract before you lose their NHL rights.
If the non-NHL team succeeds in signing them, do we lose their rights? Do we get another chance to sign them, or should we do it right away if we don't want to lose them?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:22 PM   #152
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski47
Thanks for the help with saving. I think it wouldn't work because I had autosave turned off completely (before it wasn't available to select).

My next question is this:

As the GM, it shouldn't be my job to set line tactics and other similar game approaches. I know you can have your coach set your lines for you but is there a way to let the coach do the coaching of other detailed things like tactics?

I really hope so, I just want to GM!

Thank you.

There are certain times when you can't save (I haven't figured out what all of them are yet) and that is why you had it greyed out. I always play with auto save turned off.

As to your next question, if you go in that same line of menu headings to the far left menu (the name you put in for your GM), click on that, and go down to "General Manager Options". There you will find a number of settings to adjust whether you are a GM only or a GM/coach. By clicking "No" on "Coach Games Yourself", you are essentially playing as a GM only. You can however put certain limitations on your coach with the other Coaching Options. If you set up your tactics and lines the way you want them, but don't want to actually coach the games, leave "Coach games yourself" set to "No" but set "Use current tactics" to "Yes". (at least I think that's the way it works)
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:45 PM   #153
Adamski47
High School JV

So scooter, I should have all 4 of the top options under GM options turned to "no"? It is sort of worded strangely at the bottom (in regards to the *).
Adamski47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #154
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

General first impressions:

- I'm having a tough time with the interface, and from reading the comments in this thread I'm apparently not the only one. My feeling so far is that my problems have more to do with just getting used to a new game than with any sort of actual design flaw.

- That said, I really like the look of the game. The interface is slick.

- There doesn't seem to be any context-sensitive help anywhere (for example, a few lines of text on the "edit lines" screen to show you what to do). The game seems to have a habit of burying commands on sub-screens, so a little help would be nice.

- I'm happy to say that my fear about the game looking "too European" was unfounded. With very small nitpicky exceptions (dates are separated with periods instead of hyphens or slashes) the game feels very North American. The only time you really feel like it's a European game is when it insists on using the soccer-ish term "tactics" everywhere (instead of, say, "strategy") and even that takes only a few games to get used to.

- As I mentioned above, I just don't like the play-by-play. I find the way it jumps around to be too jarring -- it takes me out of the game and reminds me that I'm only watching a simulation. I'd also like the option to have the game pause on faceoffs, but that's probably just me.

- I do like the goal snapshots, though. Even though some of them seem a little odd, I find that they compensate for the so-so play-by-play and help me feel like I know how a goal went in.

- I'm hearing some scary stories of errors in the player database. Hopefully they'll be fixed. I can say that from looking at the Leafs roster, everything seems to be in order. Whoever did the research for Toronto seems to have done a solid job.

Overall, right now I'd describe my reaction as "guardedly optimistic". I need to figure out the interface well enough to really play this thing, but so far I like what I'm seeing.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #155
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
If the non-NHL team succeeds in signing them, do we lose their rights? Do we get another chance to sign them, or should we do it right away if we don't want to lose them?

You should not lose their rights for 1 year after they leave college, at least that is what I understand the real life rules to be. Perhaps you would get a news item warning you that you are about to lose their rights before it happens?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:59 PM   #156
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
- I'm hearing some scary stories of errors in the player database. Hopefully they'll be fixed. I can say that from looking at the Leafs roster, everything seems to be in order. Whoever did the research for Toronto seems to have done a solid job.

When you get below the NHL level, the quality of the rosters will get very dodgy.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:10 PM   #157
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Ok, somebody help me please. I download the BitTornado thing. When I try and launch it, it asks me to find the file. Of course I don't have the file yet cause I want to download it. Also, when I just click on the download, it pops up the BitTorrent thing, but everytime it has an error. Arghhh. AM I just computer illiterate or what? ARe there ANY normal downloads sites? HElp me please.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:11 PM   #158
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Whoever did the research for Toronto seems to have done a solid job.

they did except for 1 thing ive noticed so far....They got Pierre Hedin as a winger.....Im sure noone other then us leaf fans know he's a defenseman though
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #159
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
they did except for 1 thing ive noticed so far....They got Pierre Hedin as a winger.....Im sure noone other then us leaf fans know he's a defenseman though
And was it me, or do they have Pat Quinn being from Hamilton, ON in like Belguim?
Old 05-28-2004, 01:21 PM   #160
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And was it me, or do they have Pat Quinn being from Hamilton, ON in like Belguim?

Probably Bermuda, like everybody else from Hamilton is.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:31 PM   #161
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
So scooter, I should have all 4 of the top options under GM options turned to "no"? It is sort of worded strangely at the bottom (in regards to the *).

The idea with the Coaching Options is that you can set things up to run the team as just the GM or as GM/coach. The "*" items in the list refer to your ability to dictate tactics, team selection, and line setup even if you are playing as a GM only. These items are also used for when you set up the game to go into "Vacation" mode (the lower section under Vacation Options). This mode allows you to set up certain parameters that the coach will function within when you go on vacation. (Vacation mode is simply a way to advance the game quickly without dealing with all the day-to-day details) That way you can go on vacation through the pre-season and come back without strange players on your roster, etc.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:34 PM   #162
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
General first impressions:

- I'm happy to say that my fear about the game looking "too European" was unfounded. With very small nitpicky exceptions (dates are separated with periods instead of hyphens or slashes) the game feels very North American. The only time you really feel like it's a European game is when it insists on using the soccer-ish term "tactics" everywhere (instead of, say, "strategy") and even that takes only a few games to get used to.

Overall, right now I'd describe my reaction as "guardedly optimistic". I need to figure out the interface well enough to really play this thing, but so far I like what I'm seeing.

- I'm suprised at how non-european it is, but it the NHL side of it is still to European (especially for a game thats going to be sold at North American retailers, ie. Joe Fan). They call games, fixtures... and trades, transfers. It's minor but unrealistic when you get e-mails saying...

"The New York Islanders deny Transfer rumors regarding {insert name here}"

- I haven't done much checking on particulars regarding the NHL, as I've assumed they got the "big league" all sorted out... apparently this may not be the case, yet. But check out St. John's... according to www.hockeydb.com , and their official website... they have almost all player vitals (weight & height) wrong. They are also missing a number of Birth Places for players that could have been figured out very easily over at www.hockeydb.com , Centomo being one of them.
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:50 PM   #163
Adamski47
High School JV

Is there a way to view LEAGUE news and not just news for your team? I feel like I'm missing something...
Old 05-28-2004, 01:50 PM   #164
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
- I haven't done much checking on particulars regarding the NHL, as I've assumed they got the "big league" all sorted out... apparently this may not be the case, yet. But check out St. John's... according to www.hockeydb.com , and their official website... they have almost all player vitals (weight & height) wrong. They are also missing a number of Birth Places for players that could have been figured out very easily over at www.hockeydb.com , Centomo being one of them.

Just going through a few reliable websites, of which hockeydb.com is a great one, you can try and get a few things sorted out. I've only targeted rosters and positions for now, sorting out who should even be on a roster and their proper positions. I'm afraid to get into the vitals, and then the statistical histories. I know, just from glancing around, that histories are needlessly empty for a ton of lower level players when that information could have been gathered off of the hockeydb.com with somewhat minimal extra effort. Since past seasons were not changing all season long, plenty of time was available to gather that...even for one person doing it.

I should stop talking about it. Evidently a lot of researchers flaked out on the project, and the remaining members have struggled.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #165
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Is there a way to view LEAGUE news and not just news for your team? I feel like I'm missing something...

Yeah, I had that feeling too. I could not find anything. The news is definitely something that could be turned up a few notches. Almost nothing happens for weeks/months at a time in there.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #166
3ric
College Starter

Anybody know of any keyboard shortcuts in the game?
Old 05-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #167
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
- I'm suprised at how non-european it is, but it the NHL side of it is still to European (especially for a game thats going to be sold at North American retailers, ie. Joe Fan). They call games, fixtures... and trades, transfers. It's minor but unrealistic when you get e-mails saying...

"The New York Islanders deny Transfer rumors regarding {insert name here}"

Hmm... hadn't noticed either issue yet, but you're right... that's not good.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:03 PM   #168
scooter
High School Varsity

Yes, a lot of the information needed for the database is readily available from various sources. The problem is not so much finding the information, it's getting it into the database (time consuming) and making sure it sorts correctly (I had major problems with this!). Just sitting down and inputting all the info for a guy that bounced back and forth from the NHL to the AHL and IHL for a number of years is a major pain. And yes, I do believe that a number of researchers flaked out (I replaced one of them).
Old 05-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #169
Ramzavail
College Starter

I find this to be a big flaw - I noticed that even the 02-03 stats weren't in the game.

For simulation fans, as I am, accurate statistical output and stat history is key in the game, for me at least.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #170
Johnny93g
College Starter

02-03 stats are in the game....03-04 are not, but all the rosters are current...as far as i know...which makes sense, because the first season being played is 03-04

Last edited by Johnny93g : 05-28-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #171
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
But check out St. John's... according to www.hockeydb.com , and their official website... they have almost all player vitals (weight & height) wrong. They are also missing a number of Birth Places for players that could have been figured out very easily over at www.hockeydb.com , Centomo being one of them.

I mentioned this over at SI regarding the Flames' organization and got shot down for it.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:49 PM   #172
Ramzavail
College Starter

my fault - I am at work now, but I thought I noticed last night when I was playing that the 02-03 stats aren't in the game.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:54 PM   #173
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
02-03 stats are in the game....03-04 are not, but all the rosters are current...as far as i know...which makes sense, because the first season being played is 03-04
Safe to assume that the "real" release will start in 2004/5?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:56 PM   #174
Karim
College Starter

Why are lower league historical playoff statistics not in the game? Check out a minor league team, any player, and playoff stats -- nothing.

I haven't checked the NHL but the stats are readily available as has been mentioned.

Last edited by Karim : 05-28-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:07 PM   #175
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
my fault - I am at work now, but I thought I noticed last night when I was playing that the 02-03 stats aren't in the game.

No, you are right. None of my players have stats listed for the 02-03 season, playing as the Oilers. Seems only certain teams have the 02-03 stats completed.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:22 PM   #176
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Safe to assume that the "real" release will start in 2004/5?

I was wondering the same thing...
Old 05-28-2004, 03:30 PM   #177
Adamski47
High School JV

I've seen stats for 2002-2003 but the latest Stanley Cup Winner is Detroit in 2002. Strange.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:48 PM   #178
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
No, you are right. None of my players have stats listed for the 02-03 season, playing as the Oilers. Seems only certain teams have the 02-03 stats completed.

Good - I wasn't dreaming.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:21 PM   #179
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm...I was the Ducks researcher. Maybe I can help shed sopme light.

When we first got the team files, 02-03 stats weren't included. They were obviously from the EHM free game, and we had to update tehm. I added the 02/03 stats to my guys. But I can see how they might have been missed by others (not that that excuses them).

The histories are a huge pain in the ass, just to let you guys know. I think I got everything in there for my guys, but I can definitely see researchers having flaked on that part.

I was very concerned about what the lower leagues would look like, especially with Ducks' prospects down in the AHL, IHL and unsigned ones in the juniors. I haven't gone in-depth enough yet to see how they came out.

I can't speak for other researchers, but the information needed was pretty easy to find. I did check the hockeydb, as well as all the regular news hockey sites and tsn.ca, too.

The birthplace was kinda odd, BTW. I would keep inputting the town they were born on, but it would be erased whenever it was brought back to me. So I'm not sure if birthplace problems were the researchers' fault.

There were also some teams not available for listing in the game database (particularly lower end Russian teams) which hampered my ability to input some histories (I believe I had problems with Salei, Vishnevsky, even Fedorov). And it was very hard to track where teams were (what league, I mean), both in Europe and in some of the lower Canadian juniors and the more esoteric American lower leagues. I'm not talking about now--I found a great Web site that lists all of the North American leagues, and the European leagues can be figured out--but 10-15 years ago, let's say, it's not always clear that a franchise has stayed in the same league, or that a player earned his time with a European team's top club or its junior squad (that happened a lot in Sweden, giving me problems with guys like Havelid and Pahlsson).

ANyway, I just thought I would toss out some perspective on it. It definitely wasn't easy to do those.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 04:26 PM   #180
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Hmm...I was the Ducks researcher. Maybe I can help shed sopme light.
OK everyone... it's clear what we must do. Let's all check the Ducks roster and nitpick it until Chief completely snaps!
Old 05-28-2004, 04:38 PM   #181
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK everyone... it's clear what we must do. Let's all check the Ducks roster and nitpick it until Chief completely snaps!

lol...I kinda thought that reaction might be coming.

I'm a man. I can take my hits.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #182
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Has anyone had issues with double minors? I had an opponent get a penalty for hooking and two more for unsportsmanlike. When my team scored 30 seconds into the powerplay, we went back to 5-on-5 (instead of 5-on-4 for the second minor).
Old 05-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #183
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

I second Chief Rum's comments...

I am the Head Researcher for both the NHL Northeast and NHL Central Divisions (so thanks to Maple Leafs for the kind words )

The original HR for the Central Division dropped out of the project at the midway point and I accepted the additional responsibility when Riz asked. I've put almost 400 hours into the project so far...There has been a number of 'drop-outs' due to the long hours needed to BUILD this database. While the freeware game had a lot of players, in many cases, especially the lower leagues, things were built right from scratch.

Without going into too much detail (don't want to get sacked ), the NHL HR's only get NHL players...I didn't get any of the St. John's Maple Leafs, for instance and I don't get any of the prospects - that's under the AHL guy/NCAA guy/OHL guy's jurisdiction. Most of the problems right now seem to be coming from minor leaguers being out of whack.

I CAN tell you that every single researcher on board is very dedicated to making this the best sim out there. I know I'm very proud to be a small part of the team. The database will be in fine form by the time the game is released.

Keep the comments coming, either here or at SI's (crazy ) boards!
Matt
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #184
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
ANyway, I just thought I would toss out some perspective on it. It definitely wasn't easy to do those.

Thanks Chief. That certainly tempers any more criticism coming from me. It certainly would upset me if data I provided was deleted when it returned to me.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #185
henry296
College Starter

What about OT. I just tied Edmonton 3-3 in the my preseason game, but no OT?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #186
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Thanks Chief. That certainly tempers any more criticism coming from me. It certainly would upset me if data I provided was deleted when it returned to me.

I would classify it more as "slightly "annoying".

Although the birth town was the only thing I got back that seemed out of whack, and it didn't even do it for everyone. It was predominant among European players, and I think it might have been related to the fact we couldn't enter anything in for "state/province" for European players. But I do remember a few North American born players where it disappeared as well.

To my knowledge, all other info put in remained in the database, so if it ain't in there, it's almost certainly the researcher's fault.

CR

Old 05-28-2004, 05:18 PM   #187
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
What about OT. I just tied Edmonton 3-3 in the my preseason game, but no OT?

I can't remember if preseason games have OT. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't (or if they do, really, I could see reasoning both ways).

CR

Old 05-28-2004, 05:44 PM   #188
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Not all of the NHL rosters are current, and most definitely not all of the AHL or ECHL rosters are current. I have not checked the other North American professional league rosters yet.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #189
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I can't remember if preseason games have OT. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't (or if they do, really, I could see reasoning both ways).

CR

In the game there is no OT for preseason games. The reality is that the teams decide if they want to play OT or not, and most often do.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #190
Dutch
"Dutch"

Okay, I am too lazy to read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been covered.....but is it easier to tell that a player makes a good winger vs. center vs defenseman in EHM:FE than say, trying to figure out what makes a good striker or midfielder or defenseman in CM?

Basically, does a general knowledge of the sport help? I think I understand ice hockey a ton more than I would ever know about soccer.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #191
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Is there a way to see generic O, D, Goal ratings like the freeware version? I hate having to sort by 700 attributes to try and decide. i usually narrow it down to a couple of guys through generic ratings and then use the specific one's to pick who I want.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #192
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Is there a way to see generic O, D, Goal ratings like the freeware version? I hate having to sort by 700 attributes to try and decide. i usually narrow it down to a couple of guys through generic ratings and then use the specific one's to pick who I want.
Good question. I've been going by the "reputation" attribute, but I'm not really sure what it is. Anyone shed any light?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:04 PM   #193
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby

Some sort of option would be nice as far as ratings go. Maybe an option to change the scale to 1-10, 1-20, 1-100 that type of thing... and also have an overall rating that could be hidden for those that don't want it visibile, it would really help getting used to the ratings system they use.

That said I doubt we'll see anything like that, as far as I know the SI guys are pretty satisfied with their 1-20 system, using no overall marker... which is great, once you have a good understanding of what every rating means and what's great, ok, and horrible.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:06 PM   #194
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
That said I doubt we'll see anything like that, as far as I know the SI guys are pretty satisfied with their 1-20 system, using no overall marker... which is great, once you have a good understanding of what every rating means and what's great, ok, and horrible.
What about a "potential" or "talent" rating? Is there any way for me to know which guys are considered good prospects?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #195
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Some sort of option would be nice as far as ratings go. Maybe an option to change the scale to 1-10, 1-20, 1-100 that type of thing... and also have an overall rating that could be hidden for those that don't want it visibile, it would really help getting used to the ratings system they use.

I know SI loves that, which is a reason it's always so hard for me to play CM, but I'm hoping that since the original EHM had A-F grades that we will here too...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:36 PM   #196
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
What about a "potential" or "talent" rating? Is there any way for me to know which guys are considered good prospects?

You bring up something I cam across last night on the SI boards... One of the first things I did when I booted up the demo was check out Sydney Crosby's ratings and instantly I was confused since alot of hsi ratings are in the teens and upper teens, so I thought, does this mean he could dominate in the NHL at 16-17? So I headed over to the SI boards, and came across...

http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...03&m=224203703

Apparently his visible ratings are like NHL players, but his actual ratings are much lowere? If anyone knows about this from CM, could you please explain how people are supposed to compare players from different leagues? Is there a way to tell that Crosby's or some guy in Europe's ratings are artificially inflated or actual?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 PM   #197
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I always just use the player's "Status" (If they are akey player, core, backup, etc.) to give me an idea of what they are when I first start up a game. Then after awhile I get used to my team and how they perform. I find overall ratings to be pretty distracting anyway.

My ideal solution would be if there is going to be overall ratings, the player shoudl be able to input their own function for determinging them. That way we could create a function that gives us a number that means something to us. So we could make it specific.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #198
henry296
College Starter

The offering of contracts to college/junior players is very weird. One of my minor league affiliates (ECHL) offered a contract to a player I owned the rights to? I am not sure what to make of this.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:16 PM   #199
henry296
College Starter

Dola... The fake Ryan Whitney just signed with Memphis, which is a Leafs team, but he has an NHL release clause. More signs of the European influence, I think.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:29 PM   #200
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
The offering of contracts to college/junior players is very weird. One of my minor league affiliates (ECHL) offered a contract to a player I owned the rights to? I am not sure what to make of this.

Yeah I've seen the same thing. I guess they haven't found the right way to handle the differences between football and hockey using the CM engine.