Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How would you feel about the Patriots winning the Super Bowl this year?
I hate the Patriots and hope they lose. 45 39.82%
I don't mind if they win or lose. 32 28.32%
I hope they win. 36 31.86%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #151
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
I don't know brady personally, but he certainly comes off as an asshole with quotes like the one I provided above. why did I post it? mostly in response to this. I'm trying to help out the incredulous pats fans see what it's like here on earth with the rest of us.

I knew someone would be able to search for a random quote, which is why I included that disclaimer.

I give up, I'm an asshole. Let's try it - if the Colts win today, it will only be because the Pats had a rash of the flu go through the locker room. Manning will still be a underachieving, overexposed loser. The Bears will destroy him and he'll blame his offensive line.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #152
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I knew someone would be able to search for a random quote, which is why I included that disclaimer.

lol...how is that a random quote? It was one of the more highly publicized bits of news before the playoffs last year.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #153
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
lol...how is that a random quote? It was one of the more highly publicized bits of news before the playoffs last year.

If you sought out the quote after I brought it up, that's what I meant by random. If you remembered reading it beforehand, well then, you got me on that point (but I still think others are talking out their asses, and that you could find similar quotes in other teams' press conferences).
Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #154
st.cronin
General Manager

I think every player in the NFL says stuff like that.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #155
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
If you sought out the quote after I brought it up, that's what I meant by random. If you remembered reading it beforehand, well then, you got me on that point (but I still think others are talking out their asses, and that you could find similar quotes in other teams' press conferences).
Everyone remembers that quote. It's the basis for all the 'Pats are always saying they're disrespected' jokes that have been made in the past year.

Heck, I don't think it's bad of him to say that...he's gotta say what he's gotta say to motivate his team, after all. But, I just thought it was funny how you dared someone to come up with it, then dismissed it like it was nothing. It fits with the stereotypical Pats fan.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #156
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Heck, I don't think it's bad of him to say that...he's gotta say what he's gotta say to motivate his team, after all. But, I just thought it was funny how you dared someone to come up with it, then dismissed it like it was nothing. It fits with the stereotypical Pats fan.

The typical Pats fan concedes the point like I did?

Oh, I forgot I'm an asshole - your team sucks.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #157
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
It's less about the fact that the Patriots have a similar history to the Yankees and more about the fact that both Yankee fans and Patriot fans come off as assholes.

Ding.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #158
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola - and that's why SG should be looking at himself here. He's one of the ones to blame. Every article he wrote about the Pats and/or bashing Manning, I grew to dislike the Patriots more.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-21-2007 at 06:57 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:32 PM   #159
TroyF
Coordinator

Clarify something here. . . I said I wanted the Patriots to lose against the Colts because of the fan base. The rest of the time, I really don't give a damn.

The disrespect factor is beyond idiotic. The way the Pats fans talk about Brady and bash Manning is similar to the Yankees fans talking about one of their players (usually Jeter) and shredding on other teams players because they just don't know how to win. (this was past tense of course, now most Yankee fans are actually a little bearable, getting your ass handed to you repeatedly in the playoffs does that to you)

As if the knowing how to win problem is singularly Manning and Brady's. Brady is "clutch" because when he's led his team on big drives, Adam V. has kicked the ball through the uprights. He's clutch because he's playing under the greatest defensive mind of this generation and knows if he puts up 20 points, it's usually more than enough.

Sad thing is, today's game is about what I expected. I don't think Manning has played badly at all. He should have led Wayne a tad more on the one ball that was knocked down. Harrison dropped a 90+ yard TD pass by not adjusting to the ball (a picture perfect throw), and the Pats made Peyton pay with his one poor pass of the afternoon. But the difference in the game is the Colts D giving up 3rd and long repeatedly because they can't get a hand in Brady's face. (outside of the play at the end of the last Patriots drive)

And the Pats once again get lucky in the fumble game with a 50/50 ball ending up their way for a TD. The Colts need a minor miracle now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #160
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I am so satisfied right now. Good to see that Belichic is still a bitch, giving the colts absolutely no credit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #161
beargrowlz
High School Varsity

I think it was Plunkett, then Grogan then Eason, then Eason/Grogan, then Eason/Grogan/Flutie, then Wilson, then Millen/Hodson/Zolak. Then we drafted Drew.

(We drafted Eason before the Dolphins took Marino FWIW).

Anything pre-Plunkett is before my time.

[email protected]
TCY Golden Scribe Winner - Bear Goes Home

"The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out."
--Thomas B. Macaulay
beargrowlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #162
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Dola - and that's why SG should be looking at himself here. He's one of the ones to blame. Every article he wrote about the Pats and/or bashing Manning, I grew to dislike the Patriots more.

Absolutely 100% on the mark! The SG came across as so smug and so bragging that I can't imagine any Pats fans were made from those columns.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #163
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
The Colts need a minor miracle now.

I'm hoping we see a lay off of the Manning sucks posts from the NE folks. We'll see.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #164
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Somehow, I much prefer Boston (and even NY) fans over Chicago fans.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #165
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I'm hoping we see a lay off of the Manning sucks posts from the NE folks. We'll see.

There wasn't very many of these before (unless a Brady > Manning post is saying Manning "sucks").

If Pats fans thought Manning truly sucked, they wouldn't dislike him so much. No one hates Aaron Brooks. Believe me, Manning has always been feared in New England.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #166
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Any reasons in particular?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #167
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

Any reasons in particular?

Yes but I don't want to offend you. But then again, that's not saying a lot because we out here in the West, esp. fans of California teams, don't view East Coast and Midwest fans very highly. We don't even talk about Southern fans except there's nothing to talk about with baseball.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #168
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I really wish we could make the categorization of an entire fan base a boxable offense. It's been rampant around here lately and its utterly ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:36 PM   #169
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I really wish we could make the categorization of an entire fan base a boxable offense. It's been rampant around here lately and its utterly ridiculous.

It's very typically of every single sports-related board and in pre-internet, typical of every single sports discussion on radio, on TV or in print.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #170
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
If Pats fans thought Manning truly sucked, they wouldn't dislike him so much. No one hates Aaron Brooks. Believe me, Manning has always been feared in New England.

He has always terrified me. Remember that first Championship game (I think it was 02)? He threw about 4 interceptions, and STILL the Colts almost won the game. I've always thought he was good.

He's still no Tom Brady, though.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #171
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
There wasn't very many of these before (unless a Brady > Manning post is saying Manning "sucks").

You should talk to some Saints fans
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #172
Marathoner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post
You should talk to some Saints fans

or some Raider receivers.
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #173
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It's very typically of every single sports-related board and in pre-internet, typical of every single sports discussion on radio, on TV or in print.

I don't hear any negative characterizations of entire groups of people on Sports Center, any newspaper, or the sports radio that I listen too.

It's just retarded though. Someone might know 6 or 7 of 30 million+ Patriots or Yankee fans.

I guess it makes the games more fun. It's just annoying when people actually take that stuff seriously.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:58 PM   #174
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't hear any negative characterizations of entire groups of people on Sports Center, any newspaper, or the sports radio that I listen too.

It's just retarded though. Someone might know 6 or 7 of 30 million+ Patriots or Yankee fans.

I guess it makes the games more fun. It's just annoying when people actually take that stuff seriously.

It does (makes the games more fun) and it's been around forever. I don't take sports, in any form, seriously and find it humorous (and sad) the level of sports fanaticism there is.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #175
molson
General Manager

Quote:
It does (makes the games more fun) and it's been around forever. I don't take sports, in any form, seriously and find it humorous (and sad) the level of sports fanaticism there is.

Fair enough, but I think when entire threads are dedicated to the topic, and people use it as the stated reason why they don't like a team, we've reached the level of fanaticism that you (and I) find so sad.

I've lived on both coasts and in between, and everybody's pretty much the same. There's even asshole Boise St. fans.

Last edited by molson : 01-21-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #176
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't take sports, in any form, seriously

Actually, that would be how I would stereotype West Coast fans.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #177
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

I kind of agree. One of the reasons I react so strongly in this thread is that when someone says things like Pats fans are arrogant and rude and obnoxious, well, you've just called me arrogant and rude and obnoxious. You're insulting me, so how exactly do you expect me to respond?

Maybe I need to stay out of these threads like I've started avoiding the political threads. Much less stressful to stick around the FOF threads.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #178
Butter
Coordinator

I bet you Pats fans have never categorized any other group of fans, either.

It's the price of success, deal with it.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #179
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Actually, that would be how I would stereotype West Coast fans.

Generally speaking, of course, that's true. I characterized these fans after a big loss: NY - they get greedy; Boston - they get really angry and bitter; Chicago - they whine and cry; Southern - they play the blame game; Western - they shrug and go onto something else.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #180
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think rooting against a team because of their fans is entirely reasonable. After all, if that team loses, it makes the annoying people unhappy. Which is nice.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM   #181
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think rooting against a team because of their fans is entirely reasonable. After all, if that team loses, it makes the annoying people unhappy. Which is nice.

That why I root against the SEC.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #182
WelshWizard
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

As if the knowing how to win problem is singularly Manning and Brady's. Brady is "clutch" because when he's led his team on big drives, Adam V. has kicked the ball through the uprights. He's clutch because he's playing under the greatest defensive mind of this generation and knows if he puts up 20 points, it's usually more than enough.

So i guess the fact that they get into Field Goal position to win it has nothing to do with Brady???

And Brady plays on defense also??? Wow this guy is good. We did not have a good defense last year at all, i have to say Brady still managed to get us into the playoffs, so i think he has proved himself wether he has a great defense or not.
WelshWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #183
firebirds
n00b

I think this thread is one of the most perfect examples of human nature, in respect to sports opinion, that I have ever seen.
firebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #184
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirds View Post
I think this thread is one of the most perfect examples of human nature, in respect to sports opinion, that I have ever seen.

Go check out the Vick thread then.