Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #151
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I must be slipping.

I did drop the Cleveland Steamer recommendation, though....

I did go back and see that. The sentiment was there even if the Ladies Man was not.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:40 PM   #152
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g
oddly enough, the people ive talked to the last 2 days here, all think i should try and save it....they can see how much she means to me, and know im gonna do my best.....I dont know if they think i can make it work, but i think they see i need to try for myself atleast...just tought id point that out...bash away
Go out into the forest and punch a tree.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
oddly enough, the people ive talked to the last 2 days here, all think i should try and save it....they can see how much she means to me, and know im gonna do my best.....I dont know if they think i can make it work, but i think they see i need to try for myself atleast...just tought id point that out...bash away

That's because they know you personally, as opposed to on a message board. Who do you think is giving you the most objective advice?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #154
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

You guys are all going to end up feeling real salty when Johnny ends up marrying this chick.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #155
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
You guys are all going to end up feeling real salty when Johnny ends up marrying this chick.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone will feel really bad about the advice they've given, once they realize he's married a chick who doesn't love him.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #156
hhiipp
College Prospect

The people you're talking to are hearing your mope around and give your sorry ass story and they don't want to hurt your feelings any more than they've already been hurt. Of course they are telling you to "Follow your heart" "if you really love her don't let her go so easy". While what they are thinking is "Does he ever stop crying?" and "stfu and move on pussy".
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #157
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
um.. you mean Lloyd

"Forget it, he's rolling"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #158
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Yeah, until he finds her in the bedroom with their insurance agent and the plumber who came to fix the leak... at the same time.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #159
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

How can I say this delicately....

I could give a f*ck.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #160
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did drop the Cleveland Steamer recommendation, though....
Good (unintentional?) use of the English language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Yeah, I'm sure everyone will feel really bad about the advice they've given, once they realize he's married a chick who doesn't love him.
Wasn't there a CSI episode like this where the beaten down husband ends up killing whatever the opposite of a dominatrix is, because his wife is the dominant one and he has a loveless marriage? So can I have that scenario in the result pool?

Seriously, tho- anything I would say is the blind leading the blind. Just don't hold it too much against people who are having fun with this thread.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-05-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #161
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
The people you're talking to are hearing your mope around and give your sorry ass story and they don't want to hurt your feelings any more than they've already been hurt. Of course they are telling you to "Follow your heart" "if you really love her don't let her go so easy". While what they are thinking is "Does he ever stop crying?" and "stfu and move on pussy".

I dont think my friends are saying that, i think that they want it to work out for me, cuz they have seen us together....you guys dont have to deal with me if it doesnt work out, they will, so they want whats best.....
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #162
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
i called her to leave a message saying the flowers arent intended to get her back, that infact were ordered before i knew what was going on.....

ugh - this is horrible to even read.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #163
scooper
College Benchwarmer

What's best for you or what's best for her?

Or what's best for their own peace and not having to listen to you?
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #164
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper

Now that was funny.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #165
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper

I guess we have different definatitions of what friends are
TML
Old 07-05-2005, 02:55 PM   #166
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
ugh - this is horrible to even read.

Ugh this reminded me that I sent flowers to that miserable cheating bitch just a few days before she walked out on me.

"the I sent them before I knew" bit brings a new touch of desperation to the thread though.

painful
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #167
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I guess we have different definatitions of what friends are

Well, my friends don't always tell me what they think I want to hear, if that's what you mean. If that's what you're looking for, why not just look in a mirror and tell yourself over and over that everything's OK.

Sometimes, it takes a true friend to help take the blinders off. Painful as it may be.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:03 PM   #168
Swaggs
Coordinator

This thread is like fingernails on a blackboard.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #169
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I can remember a particular time in high school. I had no girlfriend at the time and my best friend met some girl named Gina and dated her for 3 years. Finally, she decided she wanted to call it quits and he immediately comes over to my house WITH her. He rings the doorbell, I open it and see them both standing there. My friend says, "Gina doesn't love me anymore, Craig. What do you think of that?"

Ok.....thanks for dragging ME into this. Anyway...he eventually took her home and then comes over my house to sleep over. Big mistake. It was like one of those tortuous LeMans races that never seem to end. Over and over again he would ask, "do you think we're through? I still have a chance, right? I'm going to fight for her, Craig, I love her." As a friend, you feel compelled to say, "It might not be over - do what your heart says, if you really love her, don't give up, etc." Now...I knew the proverbial door had already slammed itself shut but you trying to be a friend.

Of course, it really WAS over...I lost 8 hours of sleep, he looked like an idiot and I learned nothing from the experience. good times.
how do you know?

Old 07-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #170
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The flowers story isn't a good sign. I know this guy, at 40.

Last year, he threw away $1,000 on a Russian personals scam. This was after spending two years with a mentally unstable woman who he wasn't even attracted to. Every time he went away for business (and his job requires a lot of travel) she would freak out, and assume he was spending his nights in hotel bars, trolling for women (which he wasn't).

I used to think he just had bad luck, and was attracted to women who needed psychiatric help. Then I decided to be more than just a supportive friend and really listen to the details (he tends to call only when he's in crisis). I tried to give real advice, which he ignored and just repeated whatever cycle he was in.

I hope you can break this cycle, Johnny. Because we're not all friends here, we say what's on our minds instead of what you want to hear. Friends offer support and play computer solitaire while you're torturing them on the phone. With a forum, we're more interested in sounding world-wise and entertaining each other (hopefully while playing FOF). You'll get better advice here.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:21 PM   #171
sabotai
General Manager

If she's wanting to break up with you after just 5 months because you are not everything she wants in a guy, it sounds to me that she is not mature enough to handle a serious relationship.

That was pretty much the death knell of my first, serious relationship. (I posted a thread on here when it happened, but it quickly turned into a Princess Bride quote thread, which was fine by me. ). After 2 1/2 years of going out with this girl, she decided that I wasn't everything she (well, her mother) wanted and that was that.

Here's the thing. She wasn't everything I wanted either. But I loved her and wanted to be with her. I wasn't everything she wanted and she ended the relationship. Every single person on this message board who is married did not marry someone that is EVERYTHING they dreamed of in a girl (Arles, Radaii and several others have a free pass to disagree with me here. I know why they would. ).

Sounds to me that she went out with you, found out you do not fill out every check box on her list nicely and wants out to continue her search for her perfect guy. She may not want to, but she feels the need to. That's why this try for you to win her over will not work. She's just not mature enough to handle the fact that her perect guy is not out there. She's not mature enough to realize that people and relationships can't be broken down into a neat list of attributes.

After you are mature enough to handle a serious relationship, the definition of "perfect guy" or "perfect girl" changes from a list of check boxes to something very abstract and intangible. This clearly has not happened for her yet, and you trying to fill out her list won't make it happen.

Last edited by sabotai : 07-05-2005 at 03:25 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #172
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(FYI: I think it's "death knell")

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-05-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #173
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
The flowers story isn't a good sign. I know this guy, at 40.

Last year, he threw away $1,000 on a Russian personals scam. This was after spending two years with a mentally unstable woman who he wasn't even attracted to. Every time he went away for business (and his job requires a lot of travel) she would freak out, and assume he was spending his nights in hotel bars, trolling for women (which he wasn't).

I used to think he just had bad luck, and was attracted to women who needed psychiatric help. Then I decided to be more than just a supportive friend and really listen to the details (he tends to call only when he's in crisis). I tried to give real advice, which he ignored and just repeated whatever cycle he was in.

I hope you can break this cycle, Johnny. Because we're not all friends here, we say what's on our minds instead of what you want to hear. Friends offer support and play computer solitaire while you're torturing them on the phone. With a forum, we're more interested in sounding world-wise and entertaining each other (hopefully while playing FOF). You'll get better advice here.

I agree, and i understand what your saying......except for the whole russian personals scam....but ya, i might not like reading that realistically its over, but i do realize that realistically its over, unless a miracle happens, and im gonna try for the miracle....if it hurts me more in the long run, then so be it......my friends probably are saying what i want to here, and i can use that support, but id be there for them in any situation
TML
Old 07-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #174
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
(FYI: I think it's "death knell")

SI

thanks.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #175
hhiipp
College Prospect

You may as well just get your friends to hit you in the stomach repeatedly cause that's what it's going to feel like when she finally stops giving you these "1 week at a time" chances bs.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #176
Johnny93g
College Starter

its not actually like that.....when i was talking about a chance....she was thinking 3 months, 6 months, sometihng like that.....im the one that said we dont need that long to figure out if things are gonna change....lets take it a week at a time, lets be more open about things, lets try some of the stuff we talked about, but lets not put a time limit on it.......
TML
Old 07-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #177
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

You know... I think there are two things worth pointing out here:

1. Johnny seems to have a much better grip on the situation than most of you are giving him credit for. I know it's more fun to pile on if we act like he's in total denial, but if you actual read his posts he seems to realize what he's up against.

2. Yes, the odds are against him, but it wouldn't be the first time in the history of the world that a couple almost broke up but got back together. You all act like it's unprecedented for a girl to change her mind on something. Would it be that surprising if she said she wanted something, then realized she didn't? My wife does that four or five times a day.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #178
CraigSca
Pro Starter

It's no use guys - Johnny just downed another quart of relationship Kool-aid.
how do you know?

Old 07-05-2005, 03:46 PM   #179
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Johnny - I don't want to come across like I'm ridiculing you, so I'm going to refrain from piling on from this point forward. I think a lot of people have "been there, done that" regarding what you're going through. The great majority of us would LOVE to go back in time and make a wrong a right. I'm willing to bet 99% of us did what you're about to do and only later did we realize what a complete moron we were for doing so. It's almost like we all have a chance to go back in time (through you) and correct our own errors. That's probably why you're getting a lot of flippant responses.

In the future, I'll refrain...the best of luck to you...but I still think you're making a mistake and will realize that in that in the all not-too-distant future.

-Craig
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 07-05-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #180
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
thanks.
Well, I'm not a very good grammar Nazi but I think that particular one is correct. Hence the little font

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-05-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #181
Johnny93g
College Starter

so, do i have a cheering section here.....lol......people rooting for it to work out.....hehe

my work has definatly suffered from this....my mind isnt all there, and i made a couple of bonehead mistakes today.....nothing serious, and easily correctable, but still boneheaded....

Thanks ML, i do know what im up against, thats pretty much why im scared out of my mind
TML
Old 07-05-2005, 04:52 PM   #182
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
so, do i have a cheering section here.....lol......people rooting for it to work out.....hehe

I think it goes without saying that everyone hopes this works out for you. We're just giving you our honest view on the situation you gave us.

I hope after a little while, she realizes the mistake she made, and you two dance in the field of flowers as the credits play. But, given the information you gave us, I've seen this movie many times before and it always has ended the same way.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:59 PM   #183
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Basically what sabotai says.

I don't think there are any (ok probably a couple) people here who do not want this to work out in the end for you. They are just making sure you realize (and to me its obvious that you do) that the likelihood of things working out the way you want them is very, very small. Some speak of past experiences, which is why they may be saying the things they are so that you do not end up down the same set up for heartbreak as they do.

Whatever happens Friday, good luck.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #184
CraigSca
Pro Starter

If she wants to go to the carnival on Friday, don't do it.
how do you know?

Old 07-05-2005, 05:19 PM   #185
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
"Forget it, he's rolling"

SI

Was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor... hell no!
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #186
bbor
Pro Starter

ML....It's Tuesday!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:06 PM   #187
Johnny93g
College Starter

just got off the phone with a good friend of mine, and some of the advice i recieved from him has given me alot of hope......He made so much sense, and im hoping i can parlay that......considering how shitty and down ive felt all day, this is a huge pick me up....thats the kind of support i need.....now to figure out how to sweep her off her feet on friday
TML
Old 07-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #188
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor... hell no!

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #189
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Dude... I feel for you ... I really do... but you're going down in flames. Big Time.

In one year, I'm gonna bump this thread, and I expect you to have a clearer picture of the situation.

if you remember this a year from now, ill be pretty impressed
TML
Old 07-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #190
Desnudo
Coordinator

You can subscribe to threads, so don't be suprised if this gets bumped back up in 6-12 months.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #191
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
now to figure out how to sweep her off her feet on friday

Sigh...I knew he wasn't "getting" it.
how do you know?

Old 07-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #192
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Does this mean I can pass the torch now?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #193
hhiipp
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog

Not until you hit 2000 posts.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #194
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
Not until you hit 2000 posts.

Sweetness.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #195
mhass
High School Varsity

Coming here for relationship advice is like asking Mrs. O'Leary's cow for a fire protection plan.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #196
Johnny93g
College Starter

just an update for anyone still interested.....I talked to her tonight, and the conversation was about 50 times better then i expected it to be.....I definatly believe now that not only am i gonna be working at making it work, that so is she.......I still dont like my chances of getting it to work, but i think she wants it to work too
TML
Old 07-06-2005, 06:40 PM   #197
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
Coming here for relationship advice is like asking Mrs. O'Leary's cow for a fire protection plan.

Despite the inherent nerdiness of the subject matter of the title of the board, I think it's actually a pretty cool place and most people are normal.

That said, I'll die before I let my girlfriend catch me posting on here.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #198
Izulde
Head Coach

String, meet Johnny.

Johnny, meet String.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog

I think so.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #200
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
just an update for anyone still interested.....I talked to her tonight, and the conversation was about 50 times better then i expected it to be.....I definatly believe now that not only am i gonna be working at making it work, that so is she.......I still dont like my chances of getting it to work, but i think she wants it to work too

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

It's not impossible that things might still work out for you two, but there's good reason for the skepticism you've seen in the responses here. It's up to you to weigh whether it's worth obsessively working to "fix" whatever is wrong in this relationship knowing that it still might not matter, or whether it's better to cut your losses now and not potentially waste a lot of time and countless amounts of emotional energy on something with a high probability of failure. You might think that you're avoiding the pain of splitting up with her, but like in many other situations, it may just be better to get that pain over with now and get the process of moving on started ASAP.

Think long and hard about whatever changes you've agreed to make. Are they things that are going to be easy for you to do, and are you willing to make the sacrifices that these changes entail for the rest of your life, or do they carry the potential for making you bitter? Are these changes things that you think will make you a better person and closer to the ideal you, or are they simply things to please her that you don't feel strongly about?

Think also very carefully about the point Solecismic has been trying to make - while every relationship goes through some times of imbalance, and all relationships require some level of give and take, you really shouldn't have to settle for a relationship that requires you to do a major amount of work in order for the other person to be interested in you - that's a sign of a relationship that's fatally out of balance.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote