Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #151
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I saw Serenity this weekend despite having never seen the series. I wouldn't call myself a Sci-Fi fan, necessarily, but I thought the movie was pretty good. I wish I would have known about the marathon in September so I could have TiVo'd it. I guess I'll try to have to find the series at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video (fat chance!) since I'm not a member of Netflix Nation.

The day after I saw the movie, I sat down with my kids to watch Toy Story and saw Whedon's name credited as one of the authors of the screenplay. I thought maybe it wasn't the same guy, so I checked IMDB and, sure enough, it is him. In addition to the Buffy/Firefly/Alien stuff, he also helped write TS & several episodes of Roseanne.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 10-12-2005 at 09:27 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #152
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Wow! I just watched all 12 episodes of Firefly in a matter of about 40 hours. Whew! That was fun! Very excellent show and I can't wait to watch the movie now.

I loved the whole premise. Each episode was different, and well, excellent. I especially liked the Hero of Canton!!!! Whew! I'll have to save another weekend to watch them all again soon!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:20 PM   #153
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
I saw Serenity this weekend despite having never seen the series. I wouldn't call myself a Sci-Fi fan, necessarily, but I thought the movie was pretty good. I wish I would have known about the marathon in September so I could have TiVo'd it. I guess I'll try to have to find the series at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video (fat chance!) since I'm not a member of Netflix Nation.

The day after I saw the movie, I sat down with my kids to watch Toy Story and saw Whedon's name credited as one of the authors of the screenplay. I thought maybe it wasn't the same guy, so I checked IMDB and, sure enough, it is him. In addition to the Buffy/Firefly/Alien stuff, he also helped write TS & several episodes of Roseanne.

He was also an uncredited script doctor on Speed.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 PM   #154
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Just picked up the DVD (didn't go to the theatre) and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

I was disappointed in a few things that were hinted at by HB, and am currently scouring the internet for reasons why Whedon did what he did.

Oh, and for the record, I hate(d) buffy the series (loved the movie and Kristy Swanson **tiger growl**).

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:49 PM   #155
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
Just picked up the DVD (didn't go to the theatre) and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

I was disappointed in a few things that were hinted at by HB, and am currently scouring the internet for reasons why Whedon did what he did.

Oh, and for the record, I hate(d) buffy the series (loved the movie and Kristy Swanson **tiger growl**).

Woah. Never heard anyone who loved the Buffy movie but hated the series. Well, I guess there's always someone out there.

To save you the trouble Whedon said he did what he did in order to prevent the last 30 minutes of the movie being nothing more than a bunch of noise and violence. Or something along those lines. He wanted to put people on edge and give that last sequence some impact.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #156
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I loved the Firefly series (picked it up on DVD and watched it - missed it when it was initially released) and liked Serenity - a lot. I'm not a typical Wheldon fan, but I'm damn irritated at Fox's ability to find the screwball, intelligent stuff I like (Firefly, AD, Futurama, etc) and then get rid of in favor of the reality show du jour - or a comedy with a laughtrack. Here's hoping the DVD sales make bring back the show a worthwhile option, though I wonder if that thing has long since rolled on.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #157
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Got the DVD for Christmas and was finally able to watch it tonight. The beginning had me a bit nervous, but I enjoyed the movie very much. Could be the fan-boy in me, but I think it got stronger as it progressed. Interesting idea, but I'm trying to figure out how the problem got from the surface of the planet into space...but still, it was a good flick. Anyone know if there are talks of another movie?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #158
Tigercat
College Starter

The talk I've heard is that the DVD's are selling very well, and the projections are that the movie will make money in the long run. Not enough to make another movie a real possibility, but enough to keep the nail away from the coffin.

Which is good to hear, because before the DVD hit the shleves Whedon was eluding to the fact that the poor theater showing had sealed Firefly's fate.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #159
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
but I'm trying to figure out how the problem got from the surface of the planet into space...but still, it was a good flick.

**SPOILERS BELOW**

This is a problem I always had with the Reavers in general. I think the concept is a good one and terrifying and very well executed in the show and movie. I just could never reoncile the Reavers' apparent nature consisting of self-mutilation, cannibalism, rape, murder, etc, etc, etc. and actually being to fly ships and, more importantly, keep ships in the air. Who are the Reaver mechanics?

I think the movie did a decent job of explaining it. The Reavers could have gotten off the planet by using ships that were on Miranda. They kill, rape, eat, or whatever everyone on the planet, realize there is no more prey, get in the ships and look for more. Since what caused people to be Reavers was was a reaction to that drug, it's possible that the Reavers are able to think clearly enough to fly ships and maintain them. Once their fight/flight response kicks in (i.e., once they see "prey"), they go all savage and out of control. That seemed to be how they were reacting in space. The main "fleet" was just sort of orbiting out there until Mal shot at one of them. Then they went rabid.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 PM   #160
st.cronin
General Manager

Me and my longtime female companion went to see this movie a while back (sci fi being her thing, although she hadn't seen the show), and she liked it a lot, so I bought her the Firefly dvd set for xmas.

My opinion is that the show was vastly better than the movie. They should forget about doing a sequel to the movie, and bring back the show.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #161
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
My opinion is that the show was vastly better than the movie. They should forget about doing a sequel to the movie, and bring back the show.

I couldn't agree more. I liked the movie, thought it was good, but loved the show.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:38 PM   #162
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I couldn't agree more. I liked the movie, thought it was good, but loved the show.

The movie was ok. I felt weird because I felt myself rooting for the alliance guy - my emotions were all out of whack.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #163
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Me and my longtime female companion went to see this movie a while back (sci fi being her thing, although she hadn't seen the show), and she liked it a lot, so I bought her the Firefly dvd set for xmas.

**SPOILER BELOW**

I just don't see why they don't eat one another. The drug makes the homocidal, or past that. Why wouldn't they attack whomever they came into contact with?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #164
3ric
College Starter

My wife asked me that very question - I replied that they must have somehow managed to form a primitive society based on achieving a collective goal (raping/killing). Same answer applies to why cannibalistic tribes don't eat each other, I guess.

Last edited by 3ric : 12-28-2005 at 11:04 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #165
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric
My wife asked me that very question - I replied that they must have somehow managed to form a primitive society based on achieving a collective goal (raping/killing). Same answer applies to why cannibalistic tribes don't eat each other, I guess.

Ive watched a few specials on cannibals, and the impression I recieved was that many cannabalistic tribes do not eat humans for pleasure. Usually it is something very spritual in their beliefs

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #166
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric

It could be that or something chemical. Since the onset of the madness was a result of a chemical, perhaps the Reavers can sense one another in some fashion, perhaps a smell or something else.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #167
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, my impression of the drug was that it drove them past rage into a whole new area of total animal aggression and hate, so I can't visualize how they would let anyone exist in their world, but any of these explinations will work. They just don't sit well with me.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #168
Tigercat
College Starter

I think you have to look at their condition as being sort of a "spiritual" exsistence. Look at how they treated the guy-who-was-forced-into-reeverhood in the series. They raped and killed all his shipmates and made him watch so he would experience the aggression and violence to such a degree that he became a reever. Hell they may have even kept some of the chemical to initiate propsective members.

But notice in the movie how River talks about "choice" once or twice when referring to "laying down." I think with the chemical we are talking about something whose aftermath isn't as cause and effect as a simple straightforward poisoning. The Reever exsistence is dedicated to a new lifestyle of total aggression against those and that unlike in their ways, but it doesn't kill all complex thought processes.

Reevers were also tearing apart Reevers in the Reever junkyard/armada, so infighting is not nonexsistent apparently.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:45 PM   #169
Kodos
Resident Alien

SciFi channel is having a Firefly marathon on 1/6, in case anyone wants to catch it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #170
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

As for the Reavers in general, I think they were best left as an unknown. Now that the curtain has been pulled back, they don't have the same creep factor as they did.

Just as in Jaws, the shark was far more scary when all you heard was the dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun and saw only the fin.

I had the same problem with them (regarding "how they fly the ship, etc") but I was reminded of the wise sage Joel and one line from the theme song from MST3K

Quote:
repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax.

edit: to add

It was more fun for me to speculate why they were so fearsome. Why did that kid they rescue mutilate himself after only watching them do their horror?

Still, I think their back-story was great. I just preferred them in the unknown column.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 01-02-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #171
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Saw it yesterday - fun movie, good dialog, pretty good F/X for the budget they had (very good camera work IMO) and I thought Kaylee was quite cute and Inara quite sexy. I'll have to add the Firefly shows to my Netflix que...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #172
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Bought the series DVD's - hopiing the support means that the show will go on, so to speak. I really, really wish I had a Neilsen box at this point.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #173
JeeberD
General Manager

I haven't seen the movie yet, but this thread made me decide to watch the series on DVD. Great stuff, I'm really loving it. I'm only five episodes in, but last night I watched "Our Mrs Reynolds" and now I am officially in love with Christina Hendricks, aka Saffron. I watched that episode with my fiancee' and I had to be careful not to let her catch me drooling too much...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #174
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I haven't seen the movie yet, but this thread made me decide to watch the series on DVD. Great stuff, I'm really loving it. I'm only five episodes in, but last night I watched "Our Mrs Reynolds" and now I am officially in love with Christina Hendricks, aka Saffron. I watched that episode with my fiancee' and I had to be careful not to let her catch me drooling too much...

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Jeebs. Saffron is smokin'. You'll be happy to learn there's more of her in the future. If memory serves me correct, IMO the next few episodes ("Out of Gas", "Ariel", and "War Stories") coming up are some of the best!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #175
aran
High School Varsity

I'm also a firefly/serenity fan. One of my favorite sci-fi's behind Dune (far behind). I like the universe more than the star wars universe. Somehow it seems more believable and just downright awesome.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:33 PM   #176
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Bump
- DVD's are on sale for 20 bucks at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...05882375238028

Btw, Sachmo (or anyone else) - what did you think of the comics ?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #177
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Bump
- DVD's are on sale for 20 bucks at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...05882375238028

Btw, Sachmo (or anyone else) - what did you think of the comics ?

LOL @ Out of Stock!!!

I haven't read the comics, and I have to be honest, I'm avoiding them. I just don't need to open that particular pandora's box again.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #178
JeeberD
General Manager

Saw the movie the other night, it made me sad...

I'll post more when I have time.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #179
MikeVic
Head Coach

< SPOILERS of the comic!!!!>

If you mean the 3-issue mini series, it was good. Felt like I was reading an episode. Helped to know that Inara and Book were off the ship, which was shown in the comics. Also showed the fate of the men with blue hands, and showed a brief shot of the bad guy from the movie.

< /SPOILERS of the comic>
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:20 PM   #180
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Saw the movie the other night, it made me sad...

I know how you feel, Jeebs. I felt the exact same way when I first saw it. I was numb for the last half hour.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #181
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I've avoided reading this thread as best I can.

I'd never seen the show before, and just started watching it this weekend. I'm really regretting the fact that I didn't get into it at the time. It's a terrific show!

Solid blend of comedy, sci-fi (which I'm always on-board for), and some western elements. I look forward to finishing the series up and watching the movie.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #182
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

Welcome to the Browncoats! Enjoy.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #183
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I've avoided reading this thread as best I can.

I'd never seen the show before, and just started watching it this weekend. I'm really regretting the fact that I didn't get into it at the time. It's a terrific show!

Solid blend of comedy, sci-fi (which I'm always on-board for), and some western elements. I look forward to finishing the series up and watching the movie.

Welcome to the club! How far have you gotten (episode wise) ?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:38 AM   #184
JeeberD
General Manager

Enjoy Saffron...

Old 03-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #185
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Enjoy Saffron...

You keep your grubby hands off her Jeebs - she's mine!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #186
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Heh. Saffron will use you guys and leave you for dead. Thanks, but I'll take Kaylee.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #187
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
Heh. Saffron will use you guys and leave you for dead.

Amongst ways to go, that would top the list.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #188
JeeberD
General Manager

Indeed. What a way to go...

Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #189
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Quote:
Thanks, but I'll take Kaylee.

Was anyone else disappointed in Kaylee when they showed her banging the original mechanic in the engine room? Kaylee is supposed to be a good girl, not an interstellar groupie...

Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #190
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola-

Was anyone else disappointed in Kaylee when they showed her banging the original mechanic in the engine room? Kaylee is supposed to be a good girl, not an interstellar groupie...

Well, Kaylee's clearly not the "good girl" in that sense- she often talks about needing some attention, and Simon's the bottleneck in that relationship (I'm not going to mention episodes, since CT's probably not finished with the series). She's a good girl in that she's very friendly/nice type.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #191
JeeberD
General Manager

Well, it seems to me that she the kind of girl that wants to be in a relationship before she gets some "attention". She's mentioned how long it's been for her, so I imagine that if she were just looking to get some action Jane would be more than willing to help...

Old 03-21-2006, 10:30 AM   #192
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Welcome to the club! How far have you gotten (episode wise) ?

I just finished Jaynestown (episode 7). At this moment I would say Our Mrs. Reynolds was the best episode (with Saffron), hilarious episode and quite well-acted all-around.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #193
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I just finished Jaynestown (episode 7). At this moment I would say Our Mrs. Reynolds was the best episode (with Saffron), hilarious episode and quite well-acted all-around.

Heh - I'm with you. Its probably my favorite as well,though I also like Out of Gas (which is coming up I think) and Jaynestown a lot. There's a cut scene from that on the 4th DVD fyi - apparently, they all loved it, but the episode was already running too long.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:36 AM   #194
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

My favorite episodes, all which come after Jaynestown (I think) are:

"Out of Gas", "Ariel", and "War Stories".
Old 03-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #195
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola-

Not at all. I thought it was classic. Kaylee may come across as innocent, but I never saw her as a "good girl", or intersteller groupie for that matter. She was in the engine room of a spaceship with an oily bo-hunk of a mechanic, it was near perfect for her.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #196
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While, I imagine anyone who still looks at this thread already owns the DVDs, but Amazon is selling the series (Firefly) at half-price at the moment. $24.95

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

If you already have it, it could make a great birthday or Easter or Memorial Day or whatever holiday you can think of gift.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #197
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Heh. Saffron will use you guys and leave you for dead. Thanks, but I'll take Kaylee.

Ditto. Kaylee = teh greatest
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #198
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Ditto. Kaylee = teh greatest

Gotta love a girl that loves to get dirty...

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #199
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdude
Gotta love a redhead with big cans...

Fixed

Old 03-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #200
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Well, I finished up the series... It's a great freakin' show. Hearing how badly FOX botched everything relating to it pisses me off. Sometimes it's like networks are actively trying to sink a show.

Has anyone read the comics? Are they essential? Should I check those out before watching the movie?