Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post

Now THAT'S character!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #152
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
No, the patriots kicked a field goal with 6 seconds left. The clock was stopped at 0:01.
OK, thanks for that.

Followup question: Did the officials demand for another play to be run?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #153
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So this perception of Belichick is unfair, even when he does things like he did last night to cement it even further...? What am I missing here?

It obviously wasn't thought out. Bill wasn't blessed with a handle on the social graces. Many in the public limelight are concerned a lot with what people think of them. Bellichick doesn't give a shit. I'm sure he was hurting after such a huge defeat, and he wanted to get the hell out of there. Other coaches would stay, some because they're truly "classy", others because they're concerned about that public image.

I haven't seen a transcript of any post-game press conference, but I'm sure Bellichick gave credit to the winners. He has a history with Coughlin and respects him, so those would have been genuine comments. You know they're geninue because he doesn't feel the need to put on a show.

Everybody's different, and people do make mistakes, especially in the heat of the moment. I think people here understand that, they're just baiting people like me, and then they think it's funny. I think that shows a lot about their character.

When you have someone attacking someone else's "standard of living" over this, and attacking people personally, don't you think things are getting a little carried away?

Last edited by molson : 02-04-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #154
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Riiiiight

you know Belicheat personally so please expouse on his personal character and show us that unlike every other NFL team he never offered bounties.

And you seem to KNOW that no other teams taped signals, even though a bunch of other coaches have said that they did it (Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cowher, etc)

I don't know that he ever offered bounties, but the Packers most definitely did, and were CAUGHT, yet there was no sanction.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #155
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
yeah, I get a kick out of that. Hes a poor sport last year for not shaking hands, and this year hes a poor sport for rushing out to shake hands.

Just curious, do you really think that the issue is:

He is a poor sport for rushing out to shake hands?

[ ] yes
[ ] no
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #156
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
And you seem to KNOW that no other teams taped signals, even though a bunch of other coaches have said that they did it (Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cowher, etc)

I don't know that he ever offered bounties, but the Packers most definitely did, and were CAUGHT, yet there was no sanction.

We need to defer to the expert on bounties.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Isn't it a little much now? Maybe there's some history between you two I'm not aware of, but so far you've called him poor, and now this, because, god forbid, he disagrees with you.

Whoa there skippy, back the fuck up. I'm not the one who started down that road. Your little paragon of talkshit is the one who tried to introduce that.

Quote:
the only people that give a fuck about this issue are all you nerds living in your mother's basements.
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...2&postcount=44

All I did (and apparently hit some sort of nerve) was point out that his claim there -- much like any defense of Belichump -- was utter horseshit.

Surely you didn't think that I just randomly conjured that allusion out of thin fucking air did you?

As for the other, given the level of sand in his vagina about this, I don't think it's out the realm of possibility to consider that he might be happy to "take one for the team" where Belicheat is concerned. Hell, I'm starting to wonder whether he & a few of the others in this thread might not be willing to pay scalper prices for the privilege.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #158
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It obviously wasn't thought out. Bill wasn't blessed with a handle on the social graces. Many in the public limelight are concerned a lot with what people think of them. Bellichick doesn't give a shit. I'm sure he was hurting after such a huge defeat, and he wanted to get the hell out of there. Other coaches would stay, some because they're truly "classy", others because they're concerned about that public image.

I haven't seen a transcript of any post-game press conference, but I'm sure Bellichick gave credit to the winners. He has a history with Coughlin and respects, so those would have been genuine comments. You know they're geninue because he doesn't feel the need to put on a show.

Everybody's different, and people do make mistakes, especially in the heat of the moment. I think people here understand that, they're just baiting people like me, and then they think it's funny. I think that shows a lot about their character.

Personally, I think the Pats apologists are showing their real character.

Belicheat blew off everyone when leaving the field after being told by the refs that there was one more play.

Hell, if the shoe was on the other foot Belicheat probably would have quick snapped and run it into the endzone again.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #159
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I would like to make the following requests:

1) all trash talking from any fan of a team other than the Giants needs to stop.
2) that goes double for Dolphin fans.
3) Synovia, please put down the shovel, climb out of the hole, and go home.
4) JimGa and RKsmurf: please get a room.
5) "Belicheat" was really fresh and funny 3 months ago. Can we find a fresher comeback to use? Belicheckoutearly, perhaps?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #160
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So it's all about the Packers now right?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #161
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Belicheat blew off everyone when leaving the field after being told by the refs that there was one more play.

Hell, if the shoe was on the other foot Belicheat probably would have quick snapped and run it into the endzone again.

you are a moron.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #162
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

I haven't seen a transcript of any post-game press conference, but I'm sure Bellichick gave credit to the winners. He has a history with Coughlin and respects him, so those would have been genuine comments. You know they're geninue because he doesn't feel the need to put on a show.

When you have someone attacking someone else's "standard of living" over this, and attacking people personally, don't you think things are getting a little carried away?

Bait you? All I did was tell you what happened, since your implication that Coughlin left the field early also was either wrong, or just trying to stir shit up.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #163
molson
General Manager

Quote:

How so? Someone who thinks this isn't a big deal is showing bad character?

You're trolling.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #164
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post

Quote:
"Clubs and players are prohibited from offering or accepting bonuses to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team, a particular opposing player or players, or a particular group of an opposing team."

The packers offense offered the defense money if they could hold A. Peterson to less than 100 yards. Its a clear violation of this rule, and the salary cap in general.

No sanctions. I guarantee you if it was the patriots, there would have been sanctions.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #165
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
So it's all about the Packers now right?
No, Its all about the Patriots, and thats exactly my point. Thanks for making it.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #166
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Packers defensive players offered bounties for getting certain goals. I see nothing wrong with this. The Lions saw nothing wrong with it. You Patriots fans should be arguing the issue at hand, not pushing blame on others. I'm on your side on this one, but bringing up Dungy, the Packers bounties, and Mike Martz is a terrible way at arguing this.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #167
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, Its all about the Patriots, and thats exactly my point. Thanks for making it.

The Patriots played in the Super Bowl and just choked away a perfect season. The thread also specifically refers to their coach?

Should we talk about cricket?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #168
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Bait you? All I did was tell you what happened, since your implication that Coughlin left the field early also was either wrong, or just trying to stir shit up.

I don't think I was referring to you, I'd have to look back. And I'm not saying everyone who didn't like Bellichick did was necessarily baiting.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #169
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Alright, this was actually pretty funny.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #170
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Packers defensive players offered bounties for getting certain goals. I see nothing wrong with this. .

You mean other than that its strictly prohibited by the NFL, in multiple places in the rule book?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #171
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Wahhh my team just chocked away a perfect season. I need to blame all the other 31 NFL teams, the media, and the rest of the country. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #172
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Wahhh my team just chocked away a perfect season. I need to blame all the other 31 NFL teams, the media, and the rest of the country. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't see anyone blaming the media, etc, for the patriots losing.

Nice strawman.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #173
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
The packers offense offered the defense money if they could hold A. Peterson to less than 100 yards. Its a clear violation of this rule, and the salary cap in general.

No sanctions. I guarantee you if it was the patriots, there would have been sanctions.
[/i]

There are zero salary cap ramifications. That's just false. When a QB buys his O-Line watches after the season, that doesn't affect the salary cap number.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #174
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
When a QB buys his O-Line watches after the season, that doesn't affect the salary cap number.

Yes, it does. Its a transfer of wealth. Its a way to get guaranteed money off of a player, which the cap is specifically designed to not allow.

Theres a reason its BANNED by the nfl.

Last edited by Synovia : 02-04-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #175
molson
General Manager

Quote:

And where did any of that happen?

You're a bigger asshole than Belichick, which as I've read here, is really saying something.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #176
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
This thread is the FOFC equivalent of a baseball brawl. As a spectator, I'm loving it.

Same here. Fantastic entertainment.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #177
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
You mean other than that its strictly prohibited by the NFL, in multiple places in the rule book?

The league performed an investigation and decided that they wouldn't take any action against the Packers. The bounties were discontinued. You can't possibly put this in the class of taping another team illegally multiple times.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #178
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Because its relevant. Its perspective. The media makes Bellichick into a bad guy because he won't give them what they want. Its got absolutely NOTHING to do with his actual character.

You're right Synovia, nobody blaming the media.

The poor poor Patriots...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #179
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well said.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #180
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Really????

A crime????

Wow.

Dude, the rest of the post is kind of important to put what you parsed in context. I was mocking him for saying that making them run the last play was a crime.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #181
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And where did any of that happen?

You're a bigger asshole than Belichick, which as I've read here, is really saying something.

You'd have to ask Mr I Personally Know Belicheat's Character.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #182
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Yes, it does. Its a transfer of wealth. Its a way to get guaranteed money off of a player, which the cap is specifically designed to not allow.

No, no it's not. The salary cap applies to the funds paid to the players by the organization. If the players are using those same funds to buy gifts for their fellow players, it is the individual using their own private funds, not the unallocated funds of the organization.

Last edited by cartman : 02-04-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #183
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

dude, you're talking all sorts of nonsense, shut up already. And I'm a Pats fan.

I don't understand why Belichick did what he did, only know that he did it. Was it a big deal? To me, personally, it sort of was, cause it's not something I would have done. I was almost talking to the TV, telling him to go back and wait that damn second with class. But it's Belichick we're talking about here. No defending what he did. No reason to beat down to the ground either though. I am thankful to him for bringing me/us as fans the 3 SB wins and the season he just gave us.

This thread makes me sadder than I already was... Backing out now.

FM
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #184
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
My god you guys are pathetic. Take your loss like a man.

+1

But this has been the same story all season, they just don't have the 'well we're undefeated' stuff to fall back on now. It's fascinating to read/watch though and makes the outcome all the more enjoyable.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #185
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

In no way at all does that affect the cap number. So your telling me that if a Quarterback tells his offensive line "dinner is on me" after a good game, it effects the salary cap?

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 02-04-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #186
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
No, no it's not. The salary cap applies to the funds paid to the players by the organization. If the players are using those same funds to buy gifts for their fellow players, it is the individual using their own private funds, not the unallocated funds of the organization.

No, its not. Players aren't allowed to give each other money because it allows the team to pay players off the books. It allows them to transfer money in ways that are specifically prohibited.

Lineman A isn't playing well, so you tell him to give Lineman B $100K or hes getting cut. Lineman B doesnt leave in free agency because hes making more money now, and the team doesn't have to live with the mistake they made on A.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #187
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
dude, you're talking all sorts of nonsense, shut up already. And I'm a Pats fan.

seconded.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #188
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
In no way at all does that affect the cap number. So your telling me that if a Quarterback tells his offensive line "dinner is on me" after a good game, it effects the salary cap?
Taking your line to dinner isn't specifically prohibited in the rulebook. Bounties are.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #189
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, its not. Players aren't allowed to give each other money because it allows the team to pay players off the books. It allows them to transfer money in ways that are specifically prohibited.

Lineman A isn't playing well, so you tell him to give Lineman B $100K or hes getting cut. Lineman B doesnt leave in free agency because hes making more money now, and the team doesn't have to live with the mistake they made on A.

Hahahahahahahaha
Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #190
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

STOP TALKING ABOUT STUFF
Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #191
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Taking your line to dinner isn't specifically prohibited in the rulebook. Bounties are.
So is holding. Is there a point anywhere here?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #192
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

If the team told Player A to give Player B $100K, and then the team gave Player A a $100K bonus, that has salary cap implications. But if Player A just gifts $100K to Player B, the only group that would care would be the IRS.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #193
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The handful of Pats fans who think "If you've already lost, it's OK to just leave" should probably consider applying that line of thought to this argument.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #194
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Look man, it's not my fault jon lives in his mother's basement.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM   #195
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
If the team told Player A to give Player B $100K, and then the team gave Player A a $100K bonus, that has salary cap implications. But if Player A just gifts $100K to Player B, the only group that would care would be the IRS.

And the NFL. The broncos were fined for exactly this same thing about 10 years ago.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #196
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
The handful of Pats fans who think "If you've already lost, it's OK to just leave" should probably consider applying that line of thought to this argument.

Good line, though I don't think it applies here. The argument seems to be over how big a deal this is, though I lost track a little bit when bounties came up.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #197
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Good line, though I don't think it applies here. The argument seems to be over how big a deal this is, though I lost track a little bit when bounties came up.
It became a bigger deal on this board once an entire thread was devoted to it. I guess I should've known that the thread was bait, considering that the word "early" was in quotes in the thread title.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #198
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Awful stuff from Belichick at the end, the team should be contracted IMO.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #199
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
And the NFL. The broncos were fined for exactly this same thing about 10 years ago.

Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Sep17.html

If so, it was because the team was doing things to circumvent the cap. It had nothing to do with players exchanging money.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #200
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

The NFL also much more frequently fines guys for not wearing their socks high enough.
Closed Thread