Powerplays: 0/6
Powerplay minutes: 12:48
Breakaways: 1
One-Timers: 2
Faceoffs Won: 16
Hits: 15
Penalties: 5
Penalty Minutes: 10
Passing: 112/192 (58% - I tried too many risky passes.)
Time on Attack: 11:13
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #152
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
First game went well, as it was a more challenging game that felt fair. My Flyers vs the Sabres. We had a chance to win it in regulation, but with 3.2 seconds left Claude Giroux (who had already scored on my first ever breakaway goal earlier in the game) hit the crossbar and it bounced away. Buffalo took it in OT on a 4-3 PP Goal from Roy.

Before on Pro, I was consistently outshooting the CPU, but this game we shot it 29 times and they shot it 30. Everything about the game felt pretty good. Going to try another game now.

Nice!

How was your time on attack compared to theirs? I'm having a tough time judging it because my team is a heavy fore-checking team and I have turnover machines on my #1 line, so I spend a ton of time in the opponents offensive zone.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #153
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Another question. My players keep getting experience after each game. Do I need to do something to spend that experience? Is there a certain time to do so? Or is it automatic?
Old 09-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #154
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Dola -

Another question. My players keep getting experience after each game. Do I need to do something to spend that experience? Is there a certain time to do so? Or is it automatic?

Nope..it's automatic. However, you can influence what they spend it on by changing what they are training. For example:

My first line is Kovalchuk, Lecavlier, and Mueller. Kovalchuk is a sniper, so he'll be shooting a lot. I have him training "Shooting Skills." When he gets XP, it will go towards a few categories that are important for Shooting, such as Accuracy and Power.

Mueller is a playmaker, so he doesn't shoot a lot but he's the assist machine. So I have him training "Offensive: Playmaking." So his passing and other similar skills will go up when he gets XP.

You can see how they've progressed on one of those coaching screens, I believe.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #155
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That first game I posted was on the road. My next game was at home vs the Blues. They jumped to an early 1-0 lead in the 1st minute on a clean slap shot that beat Emery's glove. We responded with an unlikely goal - shorthanded, Pronger went just slightly into their zone and unleashed a ferocious slap shot that hit the goalie's leg pad, bounced up into the air, hit his mask, and then bounced off the top of his mask into the net!

Pronger with a slightly closer (and clean) slap shot had a 2nd shorthanded goal towards the end of the 1st period. That seemed to almost demoralize them as it opened up for us in the 2nd period. My #1 scoring line of Gagne-Carter-Giroux went to work and scored 3 goals (Carter scored 2 and Gagne 1.) We finished with a 6-2 win.

Despite this, the team stats actually looked good and we were outshot again:

Blues:
Goals: 2
Total Shots: 32
Power Plays: 0/6
Power Play Minutes: 11:40
One Timers: 1
Faceoffs Won: 22
Hits: 17
Penalties: 2
Passing: 165/221 (74%)
Time on Attack: 7:21

Flyers:
Goals: 6
Total Shots: 29
Power Plays: 0/2
PP Minutes: 4:00
Short Handed Goals: 2
Faceoffs won: 14
Hits: 19
Penalties: 6
Penalty Minutes: 12:00
Passing: 98/164 (59)
Time On Attack: 9:21

Anyway, I think these sliders are going to work well for me for now and I'm going to stick with them for a while.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-27-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 PM   #156
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Cool, I'll have to check these out...are you using auto aim too?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #157
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Cool, I'll have to check these out...are you using auto aim too?

Yes, I am. My skills just aren't what they used to be back when I played this game last in the 90's.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-27-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #158
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Spent a few hours downloading sound files from OS, what a nice addition. Just like being there!
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #159
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Well shit, I can't seem to find auto aim for shooting!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #160
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well shit, I can't seem to find auto aim for shooting!

It's an option that is selectable in the setup area of each game after you pick your lineups. I don't think you can set it at any other spot.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #161
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It's an option that is selectable in the setup area of each game after you pick your lineups. I don't think you can set it at any other spot.

Oh cool, that explains it. Thanks !
Old 09-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #162
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
Spent a few hours downloading sound files from OS, what a nice addition. Just like being there!

Hey...do you have a PS3 or 360? If 360, any other way than burning to a CD and then loading 'em into the system?

I know on PS3 you can put them on a USB and then transfer them but I'm not sure 360 does that.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #163
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Just tried those sliders and had a great game, I won BOS 2, PIT 1. They had 25 shots to my 24, all the scoring was in the 1st period. I was a little concerned when I went up 2-0 and outshot them 14-4 but after the 2nd period it was 18-15 in my favor.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #164
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Hey...do you have a PS3 or 360? If 360, any other way than burning to a CD and then loading 'em into the system?

I know on PS3 you can put them on a USB and then transfer them but I'm not sure 360 does that.
It is possible to stream the sounds from your 360, but you would need to set up media sharing between your 360 and your PC. I did it with mine about a year ago, but I don't exactly remember how I did it. Urgh. But what I can tell you is that it is possible. Are you interested in trying that? I can look up the steps.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #165
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
It is possible to stream the sounds from your 360, but you would need to set up media sharing between your 360 and your PC. I did it with mine about a year ago, but I don't exactly remember how I did it. Urgh. But what I can tell you is that it is possible. Are you interested in trying that? I can look up the steps.

Yea I would actually love to set that up. I tried once and I messed something up.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #166
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I might try auto aiming on AS to see if I score more goals.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #167
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Yea I would actually love to set that up. I tried once and I messed something up.
So start here: Xbox.com | Xbox 360 Media Download Center

After you have set things up, make sure your 360 can "see" your PC. I think you would do that by going to "My Xbox" in your 360 dashboard and selecting "Pictures" or "Music".

Personally, instead of using Windows Media Player, I prefer to stream using the TVersity software (at tversity.com). It's free, and I found it fairly simple to set up. The idea is that you create music playlists on your machine and share them through Windows Media Player or TVersity. When you share them on your network, your 360 should be able to see them, and you can load the playlists into NHL 10.

The biggest problem is that NHL 10's Media Hub is slow. If you are sharing a ton of playlists, it can take forever to set them up. That's an NHL 10 problem, though, and if you don't have more than 20 playlists or so, it's not really that bad.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #168
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

After you have set things up, make sure your 360 can "see" your PC. I think you would do that by going to "My Xbox" in your 360 dashboard and selecting "Pictures" or "Music".

Personally, instead of using Windows Media Player, I prefer to stream using the TVersity software (at tversity.com). It's free, and I found it fairly simple to set up. The idea is that you create music playlists on your machine and share them through Windows Media Player or TVersity. When you share them on your network, your 360 should be able to see them, and you can load the playlists into NHL 10.

The biggest problem is that NHL 10's Media Hub is slow. If you are sharing a ton of playlists, it can take forever to set them up. That's an NHL 10 problem, though, and if you don't have more than 20 playlists or so, it's not really that bad.

Thanks Pumpy. I'm gonna try to set it up in a few.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #169
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I might try auto aiming on AS to see if I score more goals.

If you are used to manual, i wouldn't go back to auto. Manual aiming is way better once you get the hung of it, as you can place the puck where you want.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #170
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Has this worked for you? I spent like 2 hours setting everything up, loaded in tons and tons of custom music and the specific music to each team...

And it doesn't work. Nothing is playing. Someone on OS is having the same issue. Supposedly streaming worked on NCAA but it's not on NHL.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #171
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Has this worked for you? I spent like 2 hours setting everything up, loaded in tons and tons of custom music and the specific music to each team...

And it doesn't work. Nothing is playing. Someone on OS is having the same issue. Supposedly streaming worked on NCAA but it's not on NHL.

First off, sorry about losing two hours. That's the kind of thing that would frustrate me to the point of giving up. I have not tried it in NHL 10, but I was able to get them set up in NHL 09.

So I assume you assigned all the playlists within NHL 10. Did you move any of the music files or playlists after you set them up? I guess I'm trying to find out if your 360 can no longer find the music files.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #172
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
First off, sorry about losing two hours. That's the kind of thing that would frustrate me to the point of giving up. I have not tried it in NHL 10, but I was able to get them set up in NHL 09.

So I assume you assigned all the playlists within NHL 10. Did you move any of the music files or playlists after you set them up? I guess I'm trying to find out if your 360 can no longer find the music files.

No worries Pumpy. Yes, assigned all the playlists and everything. About to check again now, and then go to the Media Center and see if they'll play from there.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #173
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Hmm this is strange.

So maybe this is why you told me to use Tversity.

Basically, I created playlists in WMP. But on my XBOX, the playlists are there, but have no songs in them. I'll have to figure out what I did wrong.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #174
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Okay...I'm assuming now that I should also share the folder that has all the music files in it. Trying that now.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #175
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Okay...I'm assuming now that I should also share the folder that has all the music files in it. Trying that now.
Yeah, I think you need to do that, too. Let me know if it works!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #176
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Weird...I can play playlists in Windows Media Center on my Xbox. But when I go to Music Library on the XBOX, I see the playlists, but when I open them, there are no songs.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #177
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Weird...I can play playlists in Windows Media Center on my Xbox. But when I go to Music Library on the XBOX, I see the playlists, but when I open them, there are no songs.
Are you still sharing through Windows Media Player? Maybe try TVersity and see if it helps? I've never had the problem you're describing.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #178
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Thank you for auto aim suggestion. I was unable to score more than 1 goal a game. I havent played since my PS1, I will change to manual if it gets too easy!

I burnt RW CD on Itunes and had no problem loading them on my hard drive. I was not able to read the song names when I tried with WMP.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 09-28-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #179
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
If you are used to manual, i wouldn't go back to auto. Manual aiming is way better once you get the hung of it, as you can place the puck where you want.

I just want to score more goals!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #180
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Still a must buy? Any fatal flaws discovered? Been dying to get back home next week and pick this up.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #181
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Still a must buy? Any fatal flaws discovered? Been dying to get back home next week and pick this up.

Honestly, I have played tons of games and been through 4 years of franchise and I LOVE this game.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #182
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

May have fixed the music stuff...about to check.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #183
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I FIXED IT!!
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #184
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Ahoy!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #185
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just want to score more goals!

In NHL10 is way harder to score from direct wristshots than in 09. You need to move the puck a lot to find the open man and to force the G to get out of position (that is why people who was used to 09 is talking about robo-goalie that stops everything shoot at him when in position).

Cross crease/back door pass is your friend, skate at one side of the net, wait for a team mate to go to the opposite post, pass to him and he will score most of the time if you time the pass and one timer well (you need a good passer, with like 80 to 90 passing rating). You can score like 10 goals per game that way in PRO, it becomes harder in All star as the Goalie moves faster from post to post and also the opposite defenseman tries to intercept it or hits the pass receiver before he can shoot. In pro level it almost feel like cheesing.

Another good and more realistic way to score is from rebounds caused by shoots from the point. Cycle the puck to find the open defenseman, then shoot low blocker side from the point, it will set a juicy rebound for your forwards to score or will score a few from tips/deflections from the forwards crashing the net.

Wraparound goals are cheesy this year too, you can score them always in pro, and with good success in all star too, i avoid them.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #186
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
In NHL10 is way harder to score from direct wristshots than in 09. You need to move the puck a lot to find the open man and to force the G to get out of position (that is why people who was used to 09 is talking about robo-goalie that stops everything shoot at him when in position).

Cross crease/back door pass is your friend, skate at one side of the net, wait for a team mate to go to the opposite post, pass to him and he will score most of the time if you time the pass and one timer well (you need a good passer, with like 80 to 90 passing rating). You can score like 10 goals per game that way in PRO, it becomes harder in All star as the Goalie moves faster from post to post and also the opposite defenseman tries to intercept it or hits the pass receiver before he can shoot. In pro level it almost feel like cheesing.

Another good and more realistic way to score is from rebounds caused by shoots from the point. Cycle the puck to find the open defenseman, then shoot low blocker side from the point, it will set a juicy rebound for your forwards to score or will score a few from tips/deflections from the forwards crashing the net.

Wraparound goals are cheesy this year too, you can score them always in pro, and with good success in all star too, i avoid them.

I agree with this 100%, and I think it makes it more realistic of a game. If you watch a real hockey game, not too many goals are scored by simple wrist shots. However, I was used to 09 when I posted my first settings, and I have since went back to 3/3/3 for accuracy of slap shots, wrist shots and one timers. This gives a pretty good amount of direct shots, one timers, rebounds and cross crease plays.

Also, don't be afraid to pass in high traffic with your good players. For example, Derick Brassard (CBJ) has a very high passing rating, and I was able to pass it cross crease past 2 Devils defensemen and score a sweet goal on Brodeur. Which brings me to another point, the better the goalie, the more you need to rely on "ugly" goals. I managed a cross crease goal, a rebound goal from the point and a wrister from the side to beat the Devils 3-2.

I'm back into the game now, after passing my exam, and I'll post my updated sliders this evening. In reality, they seem pretty close to JetsIn06's sliders from earlier, and I might mess with some changes he has suggested as well.

I'm ready to get started with the franchise now, I just plan on creating a few rookies that aren't in the game (Tavares, Duchense, Hodgson, ect) before I get going.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #187
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would agree that rebounds are the easiest way to score, but more slappers should go in.

This is where NHL 2k10 is better.. although that's about the only thing.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #188
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
I would agree that rebounds are the easiest way to score, but more slappers should go in.

This is where NHL 2k10 is better.. although that's about the only thing.

I agree with that, which is why I'm debating changing the power of the slap shot as well, trying to get more of those goals. Also, it might help to increase the screening effect of the goalies, since that seems to contribute to slap shot goals in real life.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #189
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Turner - Are you on PS3? There is a pretty sweet roster set available at OS if you are.

I've been playing with Jetsin06 sliders and have had some good games, but I'm starting to out shoot the CPU quite a bit. Last game was 42-18, in which I won 8-3. Before that was 36-17, won 5-1.

Pretty cool thing I noticed during that game, I drilled a winger with Kronwall and knocked him out of the game. For the rest of the game every time Kronwall touched the puck he was boo'd.

Anyone know if you risk players getting injured more if you play them while injured?

Last edited by Balldog : 09-29-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #190
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Turner - Are you on PS3? There is a pretty sweet roster set available at OS if you are.

I've been playing with Jetsin06 sliders and have had some good games, but I'm starting to out shoot the CPU quite a bit. Last game was 42-18, in which I won 8-3. Before that was 36-17, won 5-1.

Pretty cool thing I noticed during that game, I drilled a winger with Kronwall and knocked him out of the game. For the rest of the game every time Kronwall touched the puck he was boo'd.

Anyone know if you risk players getting injured more if you play them while injured?

Out of curiosity, what team were you and who were you playing? The max attribute effect slider really does widen the gap between great, good, and fringe players.

I played a game recently with the default rosters as Phoenix and got my ass handed to me. Got out-shot and got shut-out.

In my last franchise, four years in with a great squad, I was dominating in shots. I think it's fair, but that's just me. I'm not a great player or anything so it might be too easy for you.

I'd really like to create a similar set but on All-Star, because I think the AI plays smarter, not necessarily more skilled.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #191
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what team were you and who were you playing? The max attribute effect slider really does widen the gap between great, good, and fringe players.

I played a game recently with the default rosters as Phoenix and got my ass handed to me. Got out-shot and got shut-out.

In my last franchise, four years in with a great squad, I was dominating in shots. I think it's fair, but that's just me. I'm not a great player or anything so it might be too easy for you.

I'd really like to create a similar set but on All-Star, because I think the AI plays smarter, not necessarily more skilled.

I'm playing as Detroit, so I expect to win more than I lose in general. The 5-1 game was against St Louis and the 8-3 game was against Buffalo.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #192
General Mike
Pro Starter

I picked up the game the other day for PS3. If anyone wants to play online, my PSN name is MikeRFOFC

Note: I suck.

Last edited by General Mike : 10-10-2009 at 04:56 PM.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #193
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've played enough where I'm close to crowning this game my favorite console sports game of all time.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-11-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #194
Philliesfan980
Banned

Good to hear your input Mizzou. I'm not a big hockey fan at all (haven't been since the late 90's). Will I still like this game in your opinion?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #195
samifan24
Pro Starter

The fighting in this game drives me nuts. It's to the point that I think I have to turn it completely off in multiplayer games (player vs. player locally). I'll literally have a breakaway interrupted by an unsportsmanlike penalty way behind the play because I hit the Y button at the wrong time. It happens every single game. How do the game designers not see this when they play against each other? It's so frustrating.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 AM   #196
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Good to hear your input Mizzou. I'm not a big hockey fan at all (haven't been since the late 90's). Will I still like this game in your opinion?

I'm not a big hockey fan, i just follow stats and highlights, but barely watch a game ever. On the other hand i love this game too. 09 was great, 10 is almost perfect.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #197
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post

What Icy said..

The board play alone really makes the game that much better, plus they keep releasing "tuners" which basically means they tune the game and then you can download the lastest "tuner" and it changes the way the game plays.

Rent it, I think you will like it.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #198
bhlloy
Coordinator

Anyone play as a goalie? Is it any more fun than "try to get in position and the CPU will auto-save for you" this time?

I'm going to pick it up eventually anyway, but the idea of a career as a goalie is pretty intriguing.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #199
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
The fighting in this game drives me nuts. It's to the point that I think I have to turn it completely off in multiplayer games (player vs. player locally). I'll literally have a breakaway interrupted by an unsportsmanlike penalty way behind the play because I hit the Y button at the wrong time. It happens every single game. How do the game designers not see this when they play against each other? It's so frustrating.
The fighting is terrible.

And as much as the game is fun, I can't get my head around the people who want to call it "realistic". It's not even close, and I just mean that in the sense of how realistic a video game could reasonably be. Wayne Gretzky Hockey on the computer 20 years ago was more realistic than NHL 10 by a mile.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #200
ArlingtonColt
H.S. Freshman Team

I just got a PS3 and rented this game... I haven't had this much fun with an NHL game since NHL 94! I'm actually looking for a PSN league to join when I buy this game with the Toys R US buy 2 get 1 free sale going on right now. Anyone in a league that has any open slots?
ArlingtonColt is offline   Reply With Quote