Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #151
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The Rams need to take Blackmon with their pick. Ideally, they drop a few spots to do so, but they need a WR more than an OL guy.

Their WR corps is young, plus they have some decent talent there as well. They need to make a play to keep Lloyd, but a corps of Lloyd, Blackmon and Amendola, with Salas as #4 turns WR from a position of weakness to one of strength. Then, run a short passing game to mask the line issues and you have a respectable offense.

The other area they need help is at CB. If they can trade down and address these two areas, they can pick up an OL guy in FA and the team will be most improved in the league at the end of next season.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #152
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The Rams need to take Blackmon with their pick. Ideally, they drop a few spots to do so, but they need a WR more than an OL guy.

Their WR corps is young, plus they have some decent talent there as well. They need to make a play to keep Lloyd, but a corps of Lloyd, Blackmon and Amendola, with Salas as #4 turns WR from a position of weakness to one of strength. Then, run a short passing game to mask the line issues and you have a respectable offense.

The other area they need help is at CB. If they can trade down and address these two areas, they can pick up an OL guy in FA and the team will be most improved in the league at the end of next season.

If RGIII is in the draft, the Rams will be in an excellent position to move down. That said, I don't think they can move down that far and have any hopes of getting Blackmon. If RG3 is off the board, I can't see the Cleveland Browns, who have a horrible WR corps, passing up on Blackmon.

I guess a best case scenario for the Rams is that the Browns fall in love with RG3, get nervous that someone is going to trade up with the Rams and then make the move to do it themselves, perhaps surrendering the 4th pick overall and their first pick in the second round or something.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #153
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I never understood throwing a rookie QB onto the field, and then giving up on him so quick. I mean he's a rookie, what do they expect him to do? Go put up elite #s? Give the kid some time. (There are a few exceptions, but they are exceptions)

Edit to expand on this:
If you look at the top QBs in the league, I'm going to go by rating to just get the top 10 guys.

Rodgers - sat 3 years
Brees - sat 1 year, then 2 years of "bad" numbers
Brady - sat 1 year, thrown in 2nd year, good QB rating (first 3 years in the 80s) but didn't throw a whole lot of yards
Romo - sat 3-1/2 years
Stafford - # 1 overall pick, thrown right in, horrible QB rating (61) (injured first 2 years so he did sit a lot also)
Schaub - sat 3 years
Eli - # 1 overall pick, sat 1/2 the year- then really wasn't that great for a few seasons (lower completion %, higher INTs)
Ryan - thrown right in, and has done alright really

Not on that list-
Cam Newton - thrown right in, looked really good actually for being a rookie
Peyton Manning - thrown right in, had a bad first year but they stuck with him and gave him a shot.

So from my pretty much unscientific research shows that- the top QBs were all given some time to develop. A couple were thrown in and had success but I can think of more that were thrown in and did not. Now that's not to say that if you give every QB time they'll develop into a top QB, but it seems to work out better for them.... and just let them play for than a couple seasons before cutting them. Hell look at Alex Smith, he was a "bust" but they stuck with him and while he isn't a great QB you want from the # 1 pick, he's turned into an ok starter... a game manager of sorts, but he's doing better than a lot of other high picks.

Ben Roethlsberger and Sam Bradford both started their rookie years.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #154
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If RGIII is in the draft, the Rams will be in an excellent position to move down. That said, I don't think they can move down that far and have any hopes of getting Blackmon. If RG3 is off the board, I can't see the Cleveland Browns, who have a horrible WR corps, passing up on Blackmon.

I guess a best case scenario for the Rams is that the Browns fall in love with RG3, get nervous that someone is going to trade up with the Rams and then make the move to do it themselves, perhaps surrendering the 4th pick overall and their first pick in the second round or something.

The Browns giving up the ATL first rounder (#22 overall) in addition to the #4 to go to #2 works out perfectly by the old draft value chart. I assume that needs an updating with the new rookie scale, but for discussion purposes that's a pretty good deal for both teams.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #155
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Ben Roethlsberger and Sam Bradford both started their rookie years.

They did, but all I did was sorted by QB rating and went down the list of highest rated QBs. Like I said a rough estimate of the "top" QBs in the league, most were given a chance to develop.

Bradford has looked okay so far on a horrible team. Time will tell on him. I think he'll end up being fine, but his career rating is still 74.

Roethlisberger is another one that has worked out from starting since day 1- but to me he was in a protected system. He was on a great team, and wasn't asked to do much- he passed for 192 yards a game his first 2 years. But yes, started from day 1 and worked out.

I could go pull an endless list of high pick QBs who were thrown in too early and failed, some of those would have failed no matter what- but I think quite a few could have turned out alright had they been given a chance to sit, learn, and then given a few years.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #156
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The Browns giving up the ATL first rounder (#22 overall) in addition to the #4 to go to #2 works out perfectly by the old draft value chart. I assume that needs an updating with the new rookie scale, but for discussion purposes that's a pretty good deal for both teams.

Seems like a solid trade to me... everyone in the top 4 gets their guy.

Luck # 1, RGIII # 2, Kalil # 3, Blackmon # 4.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #157
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I wasn't sure about the draft value, but my first instinct was to add that #22 pick instead of the second rounder. But it does work out well, assuming it's what everyone wants.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #158
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
They did, but all I did was sorted by QB rating and went down the list of highest rated QBs. Like I said a rough estimate of the "top" QBs in the league, most were given a chance to develop.

Bradford has looked okay so far on a horrible team. Time will tell on him. I think he'll end up being fine, but his career rating is still 74.

Roethlisberger is another one that has worked out from starting since day 1- but to me he was in a protected system. He was on a great team, and wasn't asked to do much- he passed for 192 yards a game his first 2 years. But yes, started from day 1 and worked out.

I could go pull an endless list of high pick QBs who were thrown in too early and failed, some of those would have failed no matter what- but I think quite a few could have turned out alright had they been given a chance to sit, learn, and then given a few years.

Brady and Rodgers also landed on playoff teams. Yates also is benefiting greatly from his supporting cast.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #159
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I think that draft value chart is bunk, primarily because it was one team, in one year, and doesn't account for different talent levels, or distributions - ie, a year with 3 star players means the #3 pick has a different value than a year with one star player, for both talent and distribution reasons.

Also, if you're the Browns, why not wait? Who else is trading up for RG III?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #160
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I'll let you all know what the Lions need as soon as I see someone stop/beat the Saints. Until then, I have no idea what they should do
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #161
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I think that draft value chart is bunk, primarily because it was one team, in one year, and doesn't account for different talent levels, or distributions - ie, a year with 3 star players means the #3 pick has a different value than a year with one star player, for both talent and distribution reasons.

Also, if you're the Browns, why not wait? Who else is trading up for RG III?

Washington?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #162
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
I'll let you all know what the Lions need as soon as I see someone stop/beat the Saints. Until then, I have no idea what they should do

It's hard to judge what will be available around pick #21 or #22, but overall the Lions could use help in the secondary CB/S and it might be time to start looking into infusing some youth on the OL.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #163
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
How are they not giving up on Ponder if they draft another QB? Didn't they draft him 12th thinking they had a chance to get a potential franchise QB? If they draft another one a year later, aren't they at least giving up on the idea that he is that?

They would be giving up on him, and I really don't think the people in charge right now would. And sadly they did reach badly on him at 12 because Rick Spielman thought he could be a franchise QB, which is one reason it's depressing that he got to keep his job this offseason. Hopefully he'll only last one more season, but it will still mean his firing would come two years two late.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #164
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's hard to judge what will be available around pick #21 or #22, but overall the Lions could use help in the secondary CB/S and it might be time to start looking into infusing some youth on the OL.

+1. DBs and OLs. DBs for no other reason then they need depth even if they don't get a starter. OL because the line is lacking and old in spots. I say lacking because some of the line is the same one that was there when they went 0-16. The line is "better" because the skills players around them got better. Detroit still can't run block consistently for the live of themselves.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #165
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I'd have no problem if the Lions went OL...building on a strength (offense) isn't a bad idea, especially with the way the NFL is evolving right now.

As for the defense, just like in good 'ole FOF, another year together can really help a team gel as a unit!
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #166
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
I'd have no problem if the Lions went OL...building on a strength (offense) isn't a bad idea, especially with the way the NFL is evolving right now.

As for the defense, just like in good 'ole FOF, another year together can really help a team gel as a unit!

Brees is a free agent after this season if the Saints don't resign him. That's how you beat the Saints next year, pick up Brees.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #167
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Brady and Rodgers also landed on playoff teams. Yates also is benefiting greatly from his supporting cast.

Tom Brady was drafted in 2000, a year the Patriots went 5-11. They were 8-8 the year before and missed the playoffs as well.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #168
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Kind of makes my point though- they were successful because they were given time and put in good situations, some of theses busts at QBs aren't busts because they suck, they are busts because they were rushed into bad teams (picking at the top of the draft) and eaten alive. (Some just suck though- and never had a chance in the NFL, JaBustus Russel)

But anyway- that's getting way off track. I think the Vikes should try to build around Ponder (or even Webb) but put talent around them and let them develop. Drafting another QB in the 1st round doesn't improve the roster, it just forces another QB to see the field on a bad team before they are ready. (Same could be said for Gabbert)

Last edited by Doug5984 : 01-10-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #169
RendeR
Coordinator

I gotta agree with most of the Bengals speculation so far, GUARD, o my frakking god we need top notch Guards. Followed by secondary players. both corners and safeties. Maybe try to find a pure return guy if something comes up. After that if we can sneak a decent big strong bruiser RB in there I'd be thrilled.

Beyond those positions we're in great shape.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #170
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Tom Brady was drafted in 2000, a year the Patriots went 5-11. They were 8-8 the year before and missed the playoffs as well.

Researching it seems I got the Bledsoe/Brady switch mixed up who was injured and who came in as a back up.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-10-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #171
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

I endorse this!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #172
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs....56338/34441154

There's one way to hurt your draft stock.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #173
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

What a dumbass. You can't stay clean for three months until you become a multi-millionaire?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #174
JediKooter
Coordinator

I hope the Chargers draft an All-Pro head coach.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #175
Racer
College Benchwarmer

hxxp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/the-first-peyton-manning-retirement-report-from-an-unlikely-source/

Rob Lowe, an actor on Parks and Rec, reported that he believes Peyton Manning will announce his retirement today. It's really weird for a report like this to come from someone like this so it'll be interesting to see if ends up being true.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #176
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

OK, now we're in 3 threads. Ha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #177
kingfc22
Head Coach

And I think it's safe to say the Niners will draft one or two or three WR's.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #178
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Washington?

Give that man a Ceeeee-gar!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #179
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Even if I think RGIII has a high amount of potential, three 1st and a 2nd is an amazing deal for the Rams.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #180
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Even if I think RGIII has a high amount of potential, three 1st and a 2nd is an amazing deal for the Rams.

It is awful.

If RGIII turns out to be something special they wont have any picks to put some pieces around him. They may have found their QB of the future but it may be 6-7 years before they have a winning record.

Correct in it being an amazing deal for the Rams. If they do a good job with these picks they are looking at a very bright future.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #181
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Rams draft like shit, so they could basically have 1000 first round picks and they wouldn't be good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #182
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It is awful.

If RGIII turns out to be something special they wont have any picks to put some pieces around him. They may have found their QB of the future but it may be 6-7 years before they have a winning record.

Correct in it being an amazing deal for the Rams. If they do a good job with these picks they are looking at a very bright future.

It's the Redskins. I would be willing to guarantee they assume they can sign free agents to fill the voids left by the missing picks.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #183
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

It really is amazing. they are basically picking up 3 high draft picks for dropping down 3 spots and will likely still get the guy they wanted this year.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #184
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It really is amazing. they are basically picking up 3 high draft picks for dropping down 3 spots and will likely still get the guy they wanted this year.

Indeed.

Not to mention that all of the 3 first rounders will probably be top 10 picks because the Redskins having so many holes to fill. I miss the days when the Redskins were actually good and am beginning to think it wont happen again until Snyder sells the team. The NFC East rivalries were better IMO when the Redskins were a top team.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-10-2012 at 12:12 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #185
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

So much for my dream of RG3 in green. I guess I can try to grasp at the Manning straw. (not like I actually thought either of those would happen but it's like dreaming about winning the lottery)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #186
RedKingGold
College Starter

Guys, it's not three first round picks, it's a swap of #2 and #6 plus two extra first round picks.

It's not as much as people are making it out to be.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #187
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Guys, it's not three first round picks, it's a swap of #2 and #6 plus two extra first round picks.

It's not as much as people are making it out to be.

And a 2nd round pick this year.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #188
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't really have an independent opinion about RG3, but I also don't think it's fair to say that a team is simply screwed without three early draft picks. We tend to give them credit that what they are leaving on the table would be their next Von Miller and Andre Johnson, but it's also certainly possible that what they are missing out on is Vernon Gholston and Darrius Heyward-Bey. Not that RG3 is any sure thing, and not that high draft picks are not worth a lot - but let's not write off the Redskins ability to make a credible team anytime soon just on this account. (There are so many other ways to discredit the redskins anyway)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #189
BillJasper
Pro Starter

If you're the Redskins do you call and tell him not to go through the pro day workout?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #190
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

woke up to watch sum sawker and this is all over espn. the nfl really is becoming fof mp.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #191
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

This is like one of the test questions, What Comes Next In the Series?

Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, __________________

And don't copyright 'RGIII' that will soon be available for the next Rufus Gusterman, III to come out of the Tiny Twelve in a year or two.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #192
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
I wasn't sure about the draft value, but my first instinct was to add that #22 pick instead of the second rounder. But it does work out well, assuming it's what everyone wants.

Heh.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #193
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

the talking heads will be all, 'did they pay too much!?!' but the way the cap is now there's a decent pool of starters on the fa market.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #194
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I don't really have an independent opinion about RG3, but I also don't think it's fair to say that a team is simply screwed without three early draft picks. We tend to give them credit that what they are leaving on the table would be their next Von Miller and Andre Johnson, but it's also certainly possible that what they are missing out on is Vernon Gholston and Darrius Heyward-Bey. Not that RG3 is any sure thing, and not that high draft picks are not worth a lot - but let's not write off the Redskins ability to make a credible team anytime soon just on this account. (There are so many other ways to discredit the redskins anyway)

I agree with this. Not that the the 4 picks given up would have led to great players, but it severely limits your ability to put talent around RG3...especially considering the Redskins have other holes to fill.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #195
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
the talking heads will be all, 'did they pay too much!?!' but the way the cap is now there's a decent pool of starters on the fa market.

I'm not sure Synder would be willing to over pay for aging big name players with little left in the tank.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #196
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I believe if you think this is a guy that's going to be a star for the next ten to twelve years in a QB sparse league, you pull the trigger and pay the price needed to get him.

But I think they pulled the trigger a bit early, as I didn't see a lot of teams willing to pay through the nose to get him. May have gotten a better deal if they'd been a bit more patient.

Last edited by BillJasper : 03-10-2012 at 07:26 AM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #197
cougarfreak
College Starter

I've got a feeling the Redskins and their fans are going to seriously regret this deal. I can't believe Shanahan ok'd this.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #198
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I've got a feeling the Redskins and their fans are going to seriously regret this deal. I can't believe Shanahan ok'd this.

Its Snyder who rules the roost...
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #199
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The way I see it, Griffin has the size, the work ethic, mental make-up, the arm, the accuracy, and more than enough athleticism to pretty much guarantee that he will eventually be an outstanding QB. The only thing that can stop him is himself. With that in mind, I think if you can get your hands on a guy with never before seen upside that has the work ethic and attitude of a Robert Griffin III, why not do it? Now give him a stable coaching environment and watch him flourish.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #200
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

fans get what they want. snyder sells tickets. shanacorp. keeps the gig for a few more years at least. winwinwin