Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #151
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Well, part of that may also be the AI settings. If it's set to heavily weigh ratings, then sure, stats shouldn't matter as much. In my league I think we go 65% or higher on ratings, because guys who have a half good season ask for the moon if it's too high on weighing stats. And I'm not sure you can walk away from arbitration in real life.

Isn't that the problem with creating a game that is so customizable though, is that it creates these problems? If the game was more "buttoned up" then it would presumably have fewer issues like this.

And I know part of the appeal is "super customization," but when that "super customization" breaks the #1 baseball league in the world (and honestly probably the majority of reasons for your sales) then that's an issue.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #152
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
If the player is asking too much simply don't offer arbitration and you are done with it. But if you enter into arbitration and hope to low-ball a player, then you get what you deserve.

Joey Devine in the RWBL was one wacky arbitration case I remember during my time there. Missed the entire '09 season and up until that point had pitched something like 60 innings and is asking for around $5 million or so, IIRC. Huh?

I don't have a problem with losing the case. I think the computer suggestion was 4.5 million. I lost, he asked for much more then he's worth, imo, i offered what i felt was a fair deal for a 1 year starter with limited ratings.

My point is the computer had to think he was worth that much based on his number's, but not his ratings. On the other hand, a player, Rasmus, who had a awful season, got rewarded based on his ratings, not his stats.

Common sense suggests both players got rewarded way too much considering it's there first arbitration year, and the points i tried to make.

Joey Devine is a great example. What's that demand based on? He's a good pitcher, rated well, but he had done next to nothing to argue for that money other then "he has the tool's to be succesful". Now that he's actually established himself as a good, legitimate reliever, an all-star selection, some great numbers, he's not asking or getting rewarded as much.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 02-10-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #153
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Well, part of that may also be the AI settings. If it's set to heavily weigh ratings, then sure, stats shouldn't matter as much. In my league I think we go 65% or higher on ratings, because guys who have a half good season ask for the moon if it's too high on weighing stats. And I'm not sure you can walk away from arbitration in real life.

You may be right, I could be assuming you can because i know NHL teams are allowed to, which has happened, if they are unhappy with the ruling.
TML
Old 02-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #154
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Isn't that the problem with creating a game that is so customizable though, is that it creates these problems? If the game was more "buttoned up" then it would presumably have fewer issues like this.

And I know part of the appeal is "super customization," but when that "super customization" breaks the #1 baseball league in the world (and honestly probably the majority of reasons for your sales) then that's an issue.

I've bought every version of OOTP since 3, and if I had one "complaint" this would be it. I wish the MLB setup (historical and fictional) was spot on before adding all the options that are available.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #155
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You can walk away from arbitration for something like 1/6th, IIRC. Basically 30 days termination pay.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #156
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You can walk away from arbitration for something like 1/6th, IIRC. Basically 30 days termination pay.

I'm no expert on the subject but this surprises me. I thought once you entered, club or player, it was an either\or that both parties were agreeing to.

I'll defer and accept that you are right since I'm only going on my own perceived belief. I will ask this though, can the player walk away too? At what cost? Seems a bit unfair if the club has an out but the player doesn't. Also have a hard time thinking the union went along with an out for the club only?

Look at it this way..
Player wants 5mil club offers 2mil. Arbiter sides with player at 5mil. Club says no thanks and cuts him a check for a little over 800k?

Now..Same situation but arbiter sides with club player only gets 2mil, hardly fair with no out when player feels surely on the open market he'll get 3+? Or are you saying the player can also opt out and pay the club 1/6th? In this case the player can opt out and owe the club a ~ 330K to buy his free agency?

Doesn't sound right to me but then who knows what kind of stuff is buried in the small print.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #157
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just remember that one thing that boras said when he shit the bed and didn't take Boston offering arb for Veritek was that he could accept the offer. But that Boston could walk away with 30 days termination pay. I may have read it wrong.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #158
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
I just remember that one thing that boras said when he shit the bed and didn't take Boston offering arb for Veritek was that he could accept the offer. But that Boston could walk away with 30 days termination pay. I may have read it wrong.

No, you are absolutely correct. The Red Sox did the same thing with Tony Graffanino. After the 2005 season Graffanino accepted arbitration and was subsequently released by the Red Sox towards the end of spring training and was only owed 1/6 of his salary.

Last edited by McSweeny : 02-10-2010 at 11:12 PM.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #159
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sweed

In a players arbitration years he has to take the deal. Now he can't get more than a 10% reduction. If a guy is out of his arbitration years and accepts it to avoid FA he basically knows what salary he will get. Basically your 2/5 scenerio could never happen. The player would be under club control. Or would be getting a fairly big chunk of change.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #160
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sweed

In a players arbitration years he has to take the deal. Now he can't get more than a 10% reduction. If a guy is out of his arbitration years and accepts it to avoid FA he basically knows what salary he will get. Basically your 2/5 scenerio could never happen. The player would be under club control. Or would be getting a fairly big chunk of change.

Thanks, never realized that clubs actually had an out. Everywhere I've seen it in action or described I was left with the impression, as I said earlier, that it was either or for both parties. Live and learn.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #161
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This series needs 2d/3d game watching... the stats are way beyond too deep for me.. I'm at the point where X will be my last purchase until some sort of game play graphics are added.. if that is ever on the horizon for Markus...

I want to see a game unfold before my eyes, ie FPS Baseball, FM 2010..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #162
SunDevil
College Prospect

Guys,

This is the related thread on the OOTP board. It is pretty big, but there are some interesting discussions and revelations.

A little OOTP 11 update...
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #163
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Guys,

This is the related thread on the OOTP board. It is pretty big, but there are some interesting discussions and revelations.

A little OOTP 11 update...

It's 18 pages, does the 1st post cover the updates, or is there more stuff buried in there?
TML
Old 02-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #164
SunDevil
College Prospect

It is the discussion in the 17 pages after the first page.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #165
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I find a lot of the guys that posted over there are morons, especially the idiot that suggested OOTP include no stats and the only way to acquire stats should be watching each and every game and scoring them yourself...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #166
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:

Based on your suggestion, I spent the 30 minutes reading all 17 pages, only to discover that there were only 1 or 2 posts worth reading. One of those is that Markus said he will add baserunning decisions back into the game (i.e. when a runner is on third, the game will let you decide whether you allow the player to tag up, etc.) Other than that and post#1, the thread was useless.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't do the OOTP boards. Too much idiocy.

That being said, if anyone wants in the RWBL, shoot me a PM. I have one or two openings. At the least the braves are open(and are f'n stacked.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #168
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
I can't do the OOTP boards. Too much idiocy.

That being said, if anyone wants in the RWBL, shoot me a PM. I have one or two openings. At the least the braves are open(and are f'n stacked.

Quoted for truth. I've pretty much given up on those boards as well. I love the game, but those boards went sour about the same time they went with SI.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #169
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
Based on your suggestion, I spent the 30 minutes reading all 17 pages, only to discover that there were only 1 or 2 posts worth reading. One of those is that Markus said he will add baserunning decisions back into the game (i.e. when a runner is on third, the game will let you decide whether you allow the player to tag up, etc.) Other than that and post#1, the thread was useless.

Didn't Stat-O-Matic have it where you make the decision with a percentage of success?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #170
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Didn't Stat-O-Matic have it where you make the decision with a percentage of success?

If you're an ootp vet, you know this used to be in the game. I'm looking forward to having that control again, as a manager. I know it's now all that reaslitic, but I had that control as a 3b coach when I was a HS coach.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote