Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #151
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
The whole "real gamer" argument is obnoxious.

Well, you're obviously not a real gamer then......

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #152
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Which system do you like best?

The PS2 is by far the best of those systems because of the amount of quality games. Of the next gen systems, I like the 360 the best because it has a lot of good games.

For the Wii, I have only played Wii Sports, Zelda, Paper Mario and Mario Party. I've liked all of them. The games on the horizon will kick ass as well, especially Metroid Prime 3. Metroid Prime on the GC is the best FPS ever made, on any system.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #153
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Completely agree.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #154
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
On a serious note, can any of you name One Game that is good for the Wii that is unique to that system?

Is Zelda "which is the best game on the system" better because of the controll scheme? I would say absolutely not.

Is Paper Mario better because of the control scheme? Again, I would say no.

Is Mario Party better on the Wii then on Gamecube? Again, I would say no and my daughter and her little friends who play it would agree also.

The best game made for the system, is the free one that came with the Wii. There is absolutely no meat to the Wii it is a gimic and they have a great "franchise". The are great at marketing and even my "parents" think it is neat.

Are my parents 68 and 60 years old going to buy a ton of games for it. No.

My definition of a "real" gamer is playing at least 25 hours plus a week. Owning a computer and at least one console. Buying 1 to 2 games a month.

A casual gamer is what the Wii attracts. Which is nice, but definately not the system for me or most "real" gamers.

I've played twilight princess with both the Wii controls, and a gamecube. It most definitely IS better on the Wii.

You may be right that 60 year old parents aren't going to buy a lot of games, but what console do you think little Jimmy is going to get when xmas rolls around?

You need to get out of your basement more. Plenty of us are real gamers, and love the Wii. Frankly, the 360/Ps3 are just the same shitty rehash of the previous systems, with faster processors. Atleast the Wii had the balls to try something different.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #155
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I guess 25 hours a week is 4 hours a day so not as hardcore as I originally thought.

But do you buy 2 games a month? Hmmm...hmmmm?

I used to buy a lot more than that.

Now that I am playing WoW, I rarely buy any games because that $15 monthly fee makes me play WoW exclusively.

Oh and I volunteered most of my monthly gaming $$$ to buy my daughter a puppy.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #156
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Dang, I'm screwed because I only get to play a few hours per week (I don't think I get to count the 40+ spent making them).

You do realise that your "casual" gamer is actually a pretty big market right now, don't you, and may actually play for 25 hours during the week, just not the type of game you mean? Seriously, there are people playing Bejeweled to death and games like it (Poker has actually been popular online for a LONG time, pre-dating even the popularity of the Internet). The Wii could "suck" for "real gamers" as you say and still win this war and make a ton of money in the process.

Gstelmack:
I'm not arguing that point. The Wii is doing very well and might continue to do very well, but it is not a next generation system. It is essentially the Gamecube with a new controller. I like Zelda and Super Paper Mario, but I would rather use a traditional controller.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #157
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Gstelmack:
I'm not arguing that point. The Wii is doing very well and might continue to do very well, but it is not a next generation system. It is essentially the Gamecube with a new controller. I like Zelda and Super Paper Mario, but I would rather use a traditional controller.

Nintendo has admitted that they aren't trying to compete with the 360 or PS3. They are targeting folks that don't play video games.

That doesn't mean 'real' gamers won't like it.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM   #158
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Is irony bragging about how much they play video games and then talking about someone's girlfriend?

Or is that another term?

No irony is making fun of people who play games for hours but in turn having over 16k in posts on a single forum. The parent comment is what brought out the girlfriend remark.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #159
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Here are the sales figures for NCAA College Football in its opening week which I found interesting. 360 sales dominated the PS3 and it's the first year that sales have been higher for the "next gen" consoles:

NCAA 08

360-361,541
PS3-82,870
TOTAL: 444,411

PS2-185,124
Xbox-28,645
TOTAL: 213,769

GRAND TOTAL:658,180

Now compare that to last year's opening week sales figures:

NCAA 07

360-293,330
PS3-n/a
TOTAL: 293,330

PS2-417,157
Xbox-133,996
TOTAL: 551,153

GRAND TOTAL:844,483

sources:
http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php?date=38921
http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php
Old 07-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #160
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh and I volunteered most of my monthly gaming $$$ to buy my daughter a puppy.

awwwwwwww. score one for you.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #161
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Gstelmack:

The Wii is NOT a gamecube with a different controller.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #162
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
awwwwwwww. score one for you.

That puppy gets paid off this money, but then I have to use that $$$ to finance my trip to Cooperstown.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #163
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Nintendo has admitted that they aren't trying to compete with the 360 or PS3. They are targeting folks that don't play video games.

That doesn't mean 'real' gamers won't like it.

I like the same three games you listed on the Wii.

Two of games are available on the Gamecube and are just as good.

I think the word 'real' was not the best choice. How about dedicated gamer? As in a person's primary form of entertainment or hobby, outside of their family etc...

My mistake, reading back over these posts I think the word real put people in the wrong place for the point I was trying to make.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #164
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
I like the same three games you listed on the Wii.

Two of games are available on the Gamecube and are just as good.

I think the word 'real' was not the best choice. How about dedicated gamer? As in a person's primary form of entertainment or hobby, outside of their family etc...

My mistake, reading back over these posts I think the word real put people in the wrong place for the point I was trying to make.

I think it is just safe to say that it is not for some folks.

Besides work, playing video games is my 2nd biggest time waster. I play more than I sleep.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #165
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
No irony is making fun of people who play games for hours but in turn having over 16k in posts on a single forum. The parent comment is what brought out the girlfriend remark.

My posts are so brief I think I made 16k in the time it took you to finish GTA3....the second time.

Anywho, to each his own. Rock on real gamer Wii hating dude.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #166
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Here are the sales figures for NCAA College Football in its opening week which I found interesting. 360 sales dominated the PS3 and it's the first year that sales have been higher for the "next gen" consoles:

NCAA 08

360-361,541
PS3-82,870

PS2-185,124
Xbox-28,645
TOTAL: 213,769

GRAND TOTAL:658,180

Now compare that to last year's opening week sales figures:

NCAA 07

360-293,330
PS3-n/a
TOTAL: 293,330

PS2-417,157
Xbox-133,996
TOTAL: 551,153

GRAND TOTAL:844,483

sources:
http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php?date=38921
http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php

Do you think 2K's football game is the reason that NCAA is behind by 200k in sales compared to last year?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #167
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think it is just safe to say that it is not for some folks.

Besides work, playing video games is my 2nd biggest time waster. I play more than I sleep.

Oh and another reason I'm pissed off, my Wii broke last week. It won't power up at all anymore.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:49 PM   #168
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
My posts are so brief I think I made 16k in the time it took you to finish GTA3....the second time.

Anywho, to each his own. Rock on real gamer Wii hating dude.

Thanks and a rock on to you "real" gamer hater, message board warrior dude.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #169
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks and a rock on to you "real" gamer hater, message board warrior dude.

See, there's common ground to be had. There's hope for the humans.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #170
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you think 2K's football game is the reason that NCAA is behind by 200k in sales compared to last year?

Good question. I don't think 2k's game made that much of an impact since it is only on the 360 and PS3. My guess would be that potential customers heard that there were limited upgrades to the current gen versions and that hurt those sales which caused the lower number of overall sales.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-25-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #171
SackAttack
Head Coach

Doubt it. Look at the shortfall - PS2 and Xbox. All-Pro 2k8 didn't come out for those systems.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #172
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:

My primary form of entertainment is video games. I love the wii.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #173
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
My primary form of entertainment is video games. I love the wii.

eh, if video games are merely entertainment I'm going to have to question your realness here.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #174
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You need to get out of your basement more. Plenty of us are real gamers, and love the Wii. Frankly, the 360/Ps3 are just the same shitty rehash of the previous systems, with faster processors. Atleast the Wii had the balls to try something different.

Yeah, because the Wii has rehashes of the games from previous systems with the EXACT SAME processor. I'd agree that not upgrading the power of the system is definitely something different.......

Listen, I'm being somewhat sarcastic here, but let's not make the Wii out to be the second coming of gaming. It is doing very well and will make a good profit for the foreseeable future. It's not all that innovative. The motion control is still a work in progress on most of the games.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #175
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
You went to gateway so your point is moot.

What high school did you go to?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #176
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Listen, I'm being somewhat sarcastic here, but let's not make the Wii out to be the second coming of gaming. It is doing very well and will make a good profit for the foreseeable future. It's not all that innovative. The motion control is still a work in progress on most of the games.

Have you used it? In pretty much every game I've played (except boxing on wii sports) the motion control is VERY GOOD. If you want a good example, play madden 2007. The motion control is VERY intuitive.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #177
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
NCAA 08

360-361,541
PS3-82,870

Looks like the PS3 users voted with their wallets regarding the framerate issue. From a games-per-installed-base perspective, the PS3 sold significantly less. The 360 has roughly 3x the installed base, but sold 4x the number of game copies. PS3 owners didn't bite on this one.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #178
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks like the PS3 users voted with their wallets regarding the framerate issue. From a games-per-installed-base perspective, the PS3 sold significantly less. The 360 has roughly 3x the installed base, but sold 4x the number of game copies. PS3 owners didn't bite on this one.

On sports gaming boards (OS and others) people reported selling their PS3's and switching to 360's because of this framerate issue in their 2 favorite games. I don't see how you can spin this to be a positive for the PS3, although I'm sure you'll try.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #179
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Have you used it? In pretty much every game I've played (except boxing on wii sports) the motion control is VERY GOOD. If you want a good example, play madden 2007. The motion control is VERY intuitive.

Yes, I own a Wii. There's a lot of games that have received lukewarm reviews because the control system either doesn't work or really felt tacked on rather than anything innovative. There are certainly a few very good games for the system. I've enjoyed Zelda, Wii Sports and Mario Party quite a bit. However, games like Red Steel, Cooking Mama, Big Brain Academy, and Wii Play amongst others have been greatly disappointing. It's really a hit and miss proposition at this point.

Hopefully, more of the developers will get a better handle on it in the near future.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #180
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, because the Wii has rehashes of the games from previous systems with the EXACT SAME processor. I'd agree that not upgrading the power of the system is definitely something different.......
Please dont make shit up.
They have different processors. The gamecube uses an IBM PowerPC 750CXe clocked at 458mhz, built on the 180nm process.. The Wii uses a 730 mhz PowerPC processor based on the 90nm process.

Saying theyre the same processor is like saying my 1.6ghz P3 is the same processor as my 2.1ghz Core2Duo.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #181
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes, I own a Wii. There's a lot of games that have received lukewarm reviews because the control system either doesn't work or really felt tacked on rather than anything innovative. There are certainly a few very good games for the system. I've enjoyed Zelda, Wii Sports and Mario Party quite a bit. However, games like Red Steel, Cooking Mama, Big Brain Academy, and Wii Play amongst others have been greatly disappointing. It's really a hit and miss proposition at this point.

Hopefully, more of the developers will get a better handle on it in the near future.

I've read about games where the motion control seems tacked on. But I haven't read anything about the motion control not working? Which games are those (other than Wii Sports Boxing)?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #182
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
On sports gaming boards (OS and others) people reported selling their PS3's and switching to 360's because of this framerate issue in their 2 favorite games. I don't see how you can spin this to be a positive for the PS3, although I'm sure you'll try.

I'm totally confused now. Where did I try to spin anything? Geez.

All I stated was that it appeared that the PS3 user base voted with their wallet and didn't pick up the game at nearly the rate that the 360 owners did. Up to this point, I still haven't purchased it either. I was leaning towards it, but it appears more and more that some major slider work is needed to make it a good game. That's kind of a turn off to me.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #183
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I've read about games where the motion control seems tacked on. But I haven't read anything about the motion control not working? Which games are those (other than Wii Sports Boxing)?

By not work, I mean that the reviewer complained that the motion or the pointer tool often were not accurate or were jumpy in their application. I listed 4 of those games in my original post.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #184
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Please dont make shit up.
They have different processors. The gamecube uses an IBM PowerPC 750CXe clocked at 458mhz, built on the 180nm process.. The Wii uses a 730 mhz PowerPC processor based on the 90nm process.

Saying theyre the same processor is like saying my 1.6ghz P3 is the same processor as my 2.1ghz Core2Duo.

There's not much difference. If you're a Gamecube owner and you're paying $250 thinking your going to get a significant upgrade, you're going to be extremely disappointed.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #185
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
By not work, I mean that the reviewer complained that the motion or the pointer tool often were not accurate or were jumpy in their application. I listed 4 of those games in my original post.

I'd guarantee that in 99% of the cases, if the pointer was "jumpy" it was an issue of wiimote sensitivity settings, or the sensor bar not being in the right spot. It can get kind of wierd if you're quite a bit offcenter.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #186
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think you need to stop using the word innovative when describing the effectiveness of the motion control implementation of Wii games. Individual games are not going to try to break the mold with their use of the controller, they are just going to try to make the most appropriate use of the technology. The Wii control system itself is innovative and the games are trying to take advantage of that innovation. Saying that games are not innovative because they don't use the controller well makes me think your point is being lost because you aren't using the right words.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #187
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I think you need to stop using the word innovative when describing the effectiveness of the motion control implementation of Wii games. Individual games are not going to try to break the mold with their use of the controller, they are just going to try to make the most appropriate use of the technology. The Wii control system itself is innovative and the games are trying to take advantage of that innovation. Saying that games are not innovative because they don't use the controller well makes me think your point is being lost because you aren't using the right words.

Yeah, but that's kind of like saying that the PS3 is the most powerful system this generation. That's great and all, but if developers aren't using that power fully, is it really worth it? Similarly, if the Wii control system is the most innovative out there, but many developers are having issues fully implementing the controls into an immersive experience, is it really all that innovative?

I personally think it is innovative at some level, but it's being extremely underutilized at this point by the developers, including the 1st party developers.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #188
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
There's not much difference. If you're a Gamecube owner and you're paying $250 thinking your going to get a significant upgrade, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

The processor is more than twice as fast. The GPU is more than twice as fast, has more than twice the memory, and that memory went from SDR to GDDR3.

No, its not as fast as the PS3 or Xbox360, but it is MUCH MUCH faster than the PS2 and Gamecube.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #189
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, but that's kind of like saying that the PS3 is the most powerful system this generation. That's great and all, but if developers aren't using that power fully, is it really worth it? Similarly, if the Wii control system is the most innovative out there, but many developers are having issues fully implementing the controls into an immersive experience, is it really all that innovative?

I personally think it is innovative at some level, but it's being extremely underutilized at this point by the developers, including the 1st party developers.

http://dictionary.reference.com/sear...vative&x=0&y=0

You can say that it is underutilized or not well implemented, but that doesn't mean the same thing as not innovative.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #190
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
+1
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #191
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
On a serious note, can any of you name One Game that is good for the Wii that is unique to that system?

I can name many. I'll start with Wii Sports and Wario Ware. I could move on to Super Paper Mario and Trauma Center. I could keep going.

Quote:
Is Zelda "which is the best game on the system" better because of the controll scheme? I would say absolutely not.
I would say absolutely yes.

Quote:
Is Paper Mario better because of the control scheme? Again, I would say no.
I would say the control system is fine on this game. Pretty irrelevant. The system isn't just about the controller.

Quote:
Is Mario Party better on the Wii then on Gamecube? Again, I would say no and my daughter and her little friends who play it would agree also.
I would say yes.
Quote:
The best game made for the system, is the free one that came with the Wii.
It isn't really free. I wouldn't say it's really the best either, by a long shot. It is pretty cool, though.
Quote:
There is absolutely no meat to the Wii it is a gimic and they have a great "franchise". The are great at marketing and even my "parents" think it is neat.
This is just nonsense. The system is not the controller.

Quote:
Are my parents 68 and 60 years old going to buy a ton of games for it. No.
I am.

Quote:
My definition of a "real" gamer is playing at least 25 hours plus a week. Owning a computer and at least one console. Buying 1 to 2 games a month.
I more than meet this requirement (which is nonsensical, anyway. a real gamer is a gamer that is not fake. maybe a better term is fanatical gamer? 25 hours a week is a lot).

Quote:
A casual gamer is what the Wii attracts. Which is nice, but definately not the system for me or most "real" gamers.
The Wii expands the traditional gamer audience by reaching for casual gamers as well as these more fanatical gamers you are referencing. There are tons of great "hardcore" games coming very soon. Enough that I'm worried about being able to afford all the games I have on my must-buy list before Christmas.

If the Wii isn't for you, fine. Don't assume, though, that since you and your friends don't like it, nobody else does.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #192
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Wii is NOT a gamecube with a different controller.

You are correct. It's TWO Gamecubes with a different controller

(Yes, I read the rest of the posts and saw where you are basically saying this, but I thought this was still a fun response).
Old 07-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #193
MJ4H
Coordinator

Id say thats better than the ps3 or xbox being 4 whatevers with the same controller, but thats just me. Especially when I like the games Nintendo makes better than any other games.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #194
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Id say thats better than the ps3 or xbox being 4 whatevers with the same controller, but thats just me. Especially when I like the games Nintendo makes better than any other games.

I'm not trying to pick on the Wii. My wife and I are considering one as our second console (after the 360). I was just trying to bring some facts to the conversation.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #195
Synovia
High School Varsity

gstelmack... trying to bring facts to the conversation? Its not two gamecubes. Its a totally different processor that has a gamecube emulator built in.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #196
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

The Wii is worth it to me because I refuse to miss out on the next Mario, Zelda, or Smash Bros game. Wii Sports is cool, I have Toe Jam and Earl, Donkey Kong Country, and Link to the Past, etc all loaded on it. That rules.

You are not a serious gamer if you don't have Toe Jam and Earl and Mario Brothers 2 somewhere in your house.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #197
MJ4H
Coordinator

im sure you meant smb 3
Old 07-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #198
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
What high school did you go to?

Kingsway
Old 07-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #199
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Kingsway

Ah, I know someone that teaches there now. And my high school tennis coach is now the principal there. (Looks like Gateway is attempting to invade Kingsway from within. )
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM   #200
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Everybody has smb 3. Real gamers have 2.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote