Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #1901
Flasch186
Coordinator

I love it.

With actors and crews they onnly get so much time to 'use' them so the story is constrained by that too.

This way they can flesh out the whole world and not be constrained by stuff like that or the comic books rails.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #1902
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I think there's still potential in that world. "The Walking Dead" computer game - the good one by Telltale - is probably the best Walking Dead story I've read/played/seen to date.

Whole heartedly agree there.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1903
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

For those still catching up like me - the last season is now up on Netflix in advance of the new season starting in a couple weeks.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #1904
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I was thinking of an idea for the spinoff earlier today.

Starts off with the survivors of the government/military in an island off the east coast. A small military unit is forced to return to the mainland to search for a MacGuffin or maybe just a scouting mission. Once on the mainland, they hear over the a radio that the island they just left has been overrun. Now stranded and on their own they slowly run out of supplies and ammo. By the end of the first season, they are just as bad off as the group we are already familiar with in the original series. The immediate goal of the group is to get to another camp that they know is another government base of operations (maybe on the west coast, or somewhere where it will take some time to get to). Which should keep them on the move, instead of the hunkering down approach that the current show has maintained the last 2 years.

Might be too clichéd. It almost has a falling skies feel to it, which is probably why the idea was fresh in my mind. I also think that the idea of new sets every week would probably be a no go in the budget department.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 09-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #1905
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Rick's such a stupid fuck and a dumb asshole - I want him to get bit.

Always making stupid stubborn decisions based on principles without considering the reality of the situation.

Super rude also.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-03-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #1906
Thomkal
Head Coach

Some great casting news:

Michael Cudlitz, who was terrific in SouthLand, has just been cast as Abraham Ford and appeared in character at NY Comic Con. Josh McDermitt, who I'm not familiar with, has been cast as Dr. Eugene Porter.

'Walking Dead' Casts 'Southland's' Michael Cudlitz, Josh McDermitt as Abraham and Eugene
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #1907
BYU 14
Coordinator

Cudlitz will be great, loved him in Southland.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #1908
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And "Rosita" (the third member of that trio) will be played by Christiana Serratos. Arguably best known for her role as the best friend from Twilight but more likely better known to some of us here as Susie Crabgrass from Ned's Declassified ....
Old 10-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #1909
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like pretty good casting for those three.

I just hope they don't move to them too quickly. Even though I like the new direction of the show, it feels like they are skipping over a lot of cool source content.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #1910
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Looks like pretty good casting for those three.

I just hope they don't move to them too quickly. Even though I like the new direction of the show, it feels like they are skipping over a lot of cool source content.

+/- 2 story arcs I think, right?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #1911
Edward64
Head Coach

Enjoyed it but not sure why they spent so much time on the woman in the woods.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #1912
Bad-example
College Starter

Enjoyed the "It's raining Men" sequence at the Big Spit!
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #1913
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Got a feeling that Nathan Fillion is right in his guess - I think we're in for some sort of airbone mutation, hence the dead pig and the sick kid who zombiefied after coughing into the water supply.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #1914
Dutch
"Dutch"

One that will surely require a "cure" or else everybody is going to be a zombie by episode 5.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #1915
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Enjoyed it but not sure why they spent so much time on the woman in the woods.

Her final words were the key part of all that I believe.

It was basically giving voice to Rick's big fear (and could influence his actions - specifically with regard to Carl I suspect - going forward).
Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #1916
Flasch186
Coordinator

yeah, if this is a water air issue they might as well call and end to the show soon unless there's a cure that starts to reveal itself.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #1917
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Did anyone watch the sneak peek of next week's episode on the Talking Dead? I actually thought that provided a pretty big clue to what was happening.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #1918
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Did anyone watch the sneak peek of next week's episode on the Talking Dead? I actually thought that provided a pretty big clue to what was happening.

Yes, and I agree.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #1919
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

What?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #1920
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
What?

Assuming you are responding to what I wrote, I will spoiler it for those who don't like to watch the sneak peek of the next episode on Talking Dead...

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-14-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1921
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well if that hypothesis (in CR's spoiler) is correct, I definitely have a prime suspect ... if they don't die inside the prison first anyhow.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #1922
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well if that hypothesis (in CR's spoiler) is correct, I definitely have a prime suspect ... if they don't die inside the prison first anyhow.

Who?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #1923
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Who?

Spoiler
Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #1924
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really liked the first episode. Some solid, interesting new characters. I like the direction they're taking things. Good stuff.

The show continues to be a ratings juggernaut:

TV Ratings: 'The Walking Dead' Surges Again, Hits Record 16.1 Million Viewers
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #1925
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Spoiler

Thanks, didn't think of her but sounds like a good suspect.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #1926
Subby
lolzcat

The scene with the crazy woman was kind of tedious. It was more than made up for by ZOMBIE RAIN.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #1927
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

[quote=Chief Rum;2864683]Assuming you are responding to what I wrote, I will spoiler it for those who don't like to watch the sneak peek of the next episode on Talking Dead...

Interesting, I missed that.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #1928
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can't help but think that maybe having a special effects guru as the new showrunner is having a visual impact on this season's The Walking Dead. #EyeSeeYou
Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #1929
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I enjoyed the episode ... but I'm expecting there to be grumbling about it in the cyberverse.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #1930
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I enjoyed the episode ... but I'm expecting there to be grumbling about it in the cyberverse.

No major complaints at this point from me, I've liked both of the first two episodes, In general, I'm very happy with the direction all the major characters are all going right now (I mean that generically... I'm not trying to be that picky about specific storylines, I mean that there is nothing happening with main characters right now that make me cringe every time they show up on screen, or reach for my remote to fast forward, which happened a lot with Andrea, Lori and Shane in the past).

One slight nagging thing, I'll spoiler it:

Spoiler
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #1931
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought these first two episodes have been very solid as well. So far, so good for this season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #1932
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
No major complaints at this point from me, I've liked both of the first two episodes, In general, I'm very happy with the direction all the major characters are all going right now (I mean that generically... I'm not trying to be that picky about specific storylines, I mean that there is nothing happening with main characters right now that make me cringe every time they show up on screen, or reach for my remote to fast forward, which happened a lot with Andrea, Lori and Shane in the past).

The biggest issue I had was after Woodbury went down they showed a lot of old people & children boarding the bus. What happened to all of them? This was taken from an episode recap

The episode ends with Rick's group returning to the prison, leading a school bus filled with the noncombatant children, elderly, and infirm residents of Woodbury who had remained behind (as well as Tyreese, Sasha, and Karen), much to Carl's dismay. Rick looks at the catwalk where he had seen Lori before, but the hallucination is gone. Meanwhile, The Governor, Martinez, and Shumpert remain at large.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #1933
Dutch
"Dutch"

One thing I'm noticing is that the core cast is all too nice to each other right now. It's missing that tension/friction from being a small band with intertwined dramatic conflict while on the run from zombies. It's now "them vs. the new people" and nobody cares about the new people. Hell, the after-show exclaimed that 14 of the 45 residents of the prison died in this episode and my only thought was, "Well, that's a start."

Still enjoying it, but I feel like it needs to move away from this policing/admin state and back into the wild. They gotta leave this prison soon, hopefully and see what's happened to the rest of the world.

Last edited by Dutch : 10-20-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #1934
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

They said that they took in other people other than the Woodbury folk, so I suppose that's who the healthy guys are.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #1935
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's implied, at least to me, that the population of the prison is larger than what we've seen even so far.

And there's definitely more than the Woodburians, re "from the Decatur group" reference tonight.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #1936
Radii
Head Coach

Enough time passes between seasons to present us with a changed group dynamic at the beginning of each season. I'm just fine with assuming that lots of those people, especially the weaker ones, from Woodbury have died and its just part of the losses that the main cast have experienced. Earlier in the series I might have had a problem with it, but I'm just fine with it now. Its certainly preferable to the thought of having to deal with a bunch of old people who aren't Herschel.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #1937
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
It's implied, at least to me, that the population of the prison is larger than what we've seen even so far.

And there's definitely more than the Woodburians, re "from the Decatur group" reference tonight.

Some producer/writer/director dude after the show said there 30 people left in the prison. Sounds right to me...I dunno...
Old 10-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #1938
Flasch186
Coordinator

I think the "too nice" comment above plays into the whole malaise, comfortable level the prison has gotten too which will lead to an explosion. That complacency is playing out very well IMO w/ how easily Rick left the walls and met the girl, how the kids are going up near the outer fences, the farming etc. I feel like we're being lulled in which is cool.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #1939
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I think the "too nice" comment above plays into the whole malaise, comfortable level the prison has gotten too which will lead to an explosion. That complacency is playing out very well IMO w/ how easily Rick left the walls and met the girl, how the kids are going up near the outer fences, the farming etc. I feel like we're being lulled in which is cool.

Pretty much my thoughts too, you just know that something is going to happen and implode their paradise. I think Rick strapping the gun back on is a sign he knows it is coming.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #1940
Subby
lolzcat

They need to get out of the prison and back on the road. I remember season 2 seeming to stall out as they ended up spending too much time at Hershel's. I stopped reading the comics during the governor story arc, so I'm not aware of what's to come...but I hope they will move on soon.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #1941
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So far, these first two episodes have been pretty great.

They've managed to flesh out the characters, giving them depth and nuance, while still having plenty of zombie action.

They've done a good job with Michonne - it did take a while, but ever since the Michonne-Rick-Carl adventure, she's really come around. I like that they've maintained the Carl-Michonne bond so far this season and it was pretty devastating to see her with Lil' Ass-Kicker.

They've even started to give Beth some depth.

I like what they did with Rick. He really looked beaten down and haggered. He sort of played out the old story of the world weary gun-fighter/lawman trying to put his pistols down, lead a simpler life, only to realize that such a path is not his... The whole last part of the episode was a mix of sadness and resignation over this fact.

I am looking forward to Tyrese coming into his own. They've set him up pretty nicely so far.

It will be great if they're able to maintain this level throughout the season. It's nice to have moved on from Rick/Lori, Andrea/Governor and the other older plots that dragged on for too long.

I love the themes they’re exploring. You need to teach the children to defend themselves, but how far is too far? How much of their childhood do you need to strip away? Does it even have a place in this world? For the record, I think calling a ten-year old child “weak” because she balks at driving steel through her dead father’s skull is over the line. Self-defense is critical; “going hard” is asking too much. Carol seems to realize this at the end of the episode at least.

This may just be my favorite season so far. Given it’s early, but the themes just hit home for me. I also like that we’ve mostly deviated from the plot of the books. Feels like virgin territory, and I actually prefer these character-driven plot arcs over the bombastic ones (like the Governor). I was personally getting sick of the Governor storyline, though much of that came from She Who Must Not Be Named. This actually feels more like what life would actually be like in a zombie apocalypse, rather than the entertaining-but-sometimes-Hollywood Governor arc. Imagine the grind. Wake up. Kill zombies on the fence. Find something to eat. Kill more zombies. Remove corpses. Clean up human filth. Do a run for toilet paper (almost seems like a vacation). No wonder Rick prefers farming—at least you’re feeding people. Must feel nice to keep people alive by feeding them instead of by making brutal, thankless decisions and by slaughtering undead.

I do hope they can maintain the quality. The show has always been pretty uneven. Sometimes it's episode to episode, but largely I thought the first half of the second season was pretty weak, whereas the second half was stronger. The opposite was true for season three, with the first half being quite strong and the second being pretty weak.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-21-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #1942
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Is there a way to read the comics that's affordable?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #1943
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Check your local library? A friend of mine read a lot this way.

The first Compendium is available on Amazon for $32. It collects issues 1-48, so that just 66 cents an issue, which seems pretty affordable to me.

Not sure how much the other Compendiums cost.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #1944
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The first Compendium is available on Amazon for $32. It collects issues 1-48, so that just 66 cents an issue, which seems pretty affordable to me.

How many issues have there been?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #1945
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Good thought. Will check library site and online.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #1946
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Looks like my library network has the first two compendiums, the second of which was just published last year...

Boom. Placed request, but 11/12 copies are out, one is damaged, and there's a person ahead of me in line.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #1947
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Of the new/minor character moments, I actually thought the line delivered to Carol last night by the kid sister of (probably now former) Miss-Zombies-Are-People-Too was pretty awesome.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #1948
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Just go to BN, get a cup of coffee and read the comics. It'll take you a while to catch up (I think they are up to 18 or 19 now).
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #1949
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Of the new/minor character moments, I actually thought the line delivered to Carol last night by the kid sister of (probably now former) Miss-Zombies-Are-People-Too was pretty awesome.

So, do we think that Miss-Zombies-Are-People-Too was the one feeding the zombies the rats?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #1950
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, do we think that Miss-Zombies-Are-People-Too was the one feeding the zombies the rats?

I originally did (that was my spoilered guess after last week's ep) but I'm more 50-50 about it now. I still haven't ruled her out, and I still believe she's a villain of some sort.