Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #1901
korme
Go Reds

An American Crime (2007) - Watched this on a whim. Catherine Keener was amazing and so was Ellen Page, that girl is going to dominate cinema for a very long time. The story is very disturbing and the abuse is painful to watch. If you don't see it, you won't miss much, read about the crime on wikipedia. 6/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #1902
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

American Gangster - 7/10: A very well done crime drama with Crowe and Washington very good as the leads. It is based on a true story, so it is fascinating that that's how the drugs were smuggled in (in a fiction story, it would have seemed a bit fanciful!). Though it ran a little bit too long, the story was interesting and the actors were top notch.

300 - 4/10: It gets 4 for its visual style. Yes, I realize its based on a comic, but man, talk about ham fisted. They, of course, dispense with much history and the Persians are a bunch of black folk with monsters in tow coming to enslave the whites . Not much there but overly stylized fight scenes. Yawn.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 AM   #1903
Lorena
Unregistered

The Illusionist - 9/10

The only thing I didn't like was the prince's fake mustache, but other than that, solid film. Nice pace and some semi-tense moments... definitely recommend this.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #1904
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
The Illusionist - 9/10

The only thing I didn't like was the prince's fake mustache, but other than that, solid film. Nice pace and some semi-tense moments... definitely recommend this.

The Prestige is much better in my opinion. If you haven't seen it, check it out.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #1905
MikeVic
Head Coach

Good to hear about Ms. Page.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #1906
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
The Prestige is much better in my opinion. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

I noticed that you, along with other FOFCers preferred it to The Illusionist and put it in my Netflix Q.. should be here tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #1907
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I noticed that you, along with other FOFCers preferred it to The Illusionist and put it in my Netflix Q.. should be here tomorrow.

I need to watch it again. I've been trying to get my wife to watch it so I can see it again.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #1908
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Bridge to Terabithia - 8/10: A very well done children's movie. I never read the book so the twist close to the end REALLY struck me and touched me. The beginning seems like a pretty good children's movie about the power of imagination and learning to open your mind. But the twist really elevates the film (as you can tell, it's hard to write a review without discussing the twist).
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM   #1909
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Or don't. Christ, they made a movie showing all that? And people watch it? Ugh.

Yeah, I'd never heard of it until reading the wiki article. Horrible.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #1910
korme
Go Reds

Well, did you guys read the wiki page on the movie plot or the actual pages of the murderer/victim? I'd tell you to read the latter, but the movie plot on the wiki page gets pretty detailed... yea it's horrible shit and a true story
Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #1911
Groundhog
Coordinator

I started with the wiki for the movie, went to the page for the victim, then the page for the muderer. Each was a successive step forward in terrible details.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #1912
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
The Illusionist - 9/10

Jessica Biel was absolutely horrible in this and brought down the entire movie. It's like, you've got Norton and Giamatti, two of the best actors you can find, and then she can barely deliver a single convincing line. Also, the final twist was telegraphed at the beginning of the 3rd act.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #1913
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Jessica Biel was absolutely horrible in this and brought down the entire movie. It's like, you've got Norton and Giamatti, two of the best actors you can find, and then she can barely deliver a single convincing line. Also, the final twist was telegraphed at the beginning of the 3rd act.

Jessica Biel opened her mouth? I was more or less just staring at her whenever she was on the screen.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #1914
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i still maintain that the twist ruined an otherwise good movie

the best trick in the whole movie is that the 2 kids are the same age in the beginning, then they grow up to be a 40 year old norton and a 22 year old biel.

Last edited by Pyser : 05-29-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #1915
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

the best trick in the whole movie is that the 2 kids are the same age in the beginning, then they grow up to be a 40 year old norton and a 22 year old biel.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #1916
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

I don't remember the details of the twist in this movie, but I remember it was sufficiently telegraphed that everybody I watched it with figured it out at the same early point.

Whenever there are two movies on a single subject matter that come out very close to each other, one generally seems like a cheap rip-off of the other. To me, the Illusionist seemed like a cheap rip-off of The Prestige.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #1917
rowech
Pro Starter

Not really a rip-off....they came out within weeks of each other if I'm not mistaken. Both were books first. The Prestige went through a pretty big change from the book to the screen though if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #1918
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Devil's Rejects - 6/10

I'm not sure exactly what I thought this would be but it was better than what I had expected. Still, glad I didn't waste time in the theater to see it. Rob Zombie's wife is smoking hot but a horrible actress. Terry from Three's company gets a little naked and looks good for somebody in her 50s.

Cinematography was decent, though nothing new or innovative. I never really felt the tension that I think Rob wanted to project (hand held shaky camera, odd camera angles) and I don't think the protagonist (Sheriff John Quincy Wydell), if he can be called that, was justified in what he ended up doing, so that part wasn't satisfying in the least.

I really wanted to not like this movie at all, but wound up watching it all the way to the end; something I can't say for every movie I've rented.

Rob's wife needs to stay out of his movies (unless she is a stripper or something).

Last edited by Bonegavel : 05-29-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #1919
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Not really a rip-off....they came out within weeks of each other if I'm not mistaken. Both were books first. The Prestige went through a pretty big change from the book to the screen though if I'm not mistaken.

I realize that it isn't a rip-off, but it feels that way. Even if they both had decent source material, it just feels like Studio B gets wind of Studio A making a movie on a subject so B rushes out their own version of a movie on that subject. I'm trying to remember if there was ever a situation like this where both movies turned out to be really good.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #1920
Lorena
Unregistered

Zoolander - 8.5/10

Gotta love mind numbing comedy, I've seen this movie about 3 times this week... love it.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #1921
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So thanks to our next door neighbor watching the kids, the wife and I are going out by ourselves for like the second time in a year. And the wife wants to go see a movie. She usually sees movies on nights out with our neighbor, but I've basically stopped watching movies except the occasional stupid comedy. We haven't seen a non-kids movie together at a theater since...best as I can recall, it was probably Me, Myself, and Irene (which I don't remember much of, except it wasn't all that great).

We've narrowed it down to Indiana Jones, the latest Narnia, and I threw out that Sarah Marshall movie (which is at the dollar movies now) as a consideration as well. Which one is going to be the most entertaining? I haven't read a single review of any of them, so I don't know how they stack up to general expectations. I always default to comedies, but keep in mind I'll probably have to choose between the other two since they are the wife's choices, so I guess my questions are: (a) which one of those two is better; and (b) is Sarah Marshall good (assuming I could convince her to see it, is it worth it)?

Thanks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #1922
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sarah Marshall was pretty funny. Plus you get full frontal nudity!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #1923
Ksyrup

Eh, we've been married almost 11 years. She'll deal with the crudeness and like it!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #1924
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

LOL, indeed... and yeah, it was a hilarious movie.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #1925
Ksyrup

Quote:

So I'd get to see 2 things I haven't seen in several years. Score!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #1926
st.cronin
General Manager

Ratatouille

AWESOME... I love the Little Chef.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #1927
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have a feeling it might be your night to get lucky!
Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #1928
Ksyrup

Yeah, when I typed Score I didn't mean it literally, but we'll see how it goes...
Old 05-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #1929
Kodos
Resident Alien

One word of caution: I'd avoid any reviews until after you've seen the movie, as some of them have a pretty big spoiler.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #1930
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So I'd get to see 2 things I haven't seen in several years. Score!

LOLOL!!!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #1931
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
LOLOL!!!!!

Hes going to hate us sooo much
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #1932
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

KSyrup not knowing what he's in for == this thread even better than ever. lol

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #1933
Ksyrup

Man, my wife is awesome. So we're on the way into town to eat and see one of these movies, and my wife throws out there, "I'm surprised you didn't want to go to the baseball game." We have an Astros Single-A affiliate here. So of course my response is - sensibly - "We're going on a date. It never entered my mind to suggest a baseball game. What do you think I am - stupid?" Turns out she wanted to go.

So we ditched the movie and headed to the game. One of our neighborhood friends who is a Lexington cop sees us when we get there and asks whether we've got tickets yet. We say no, he takes us over to the box office and gets us 6th row seats behind home plate, for free. It was like 70-75 degrees tonight, slight breeze, beautiful night for a game.

Did I mention how awesome my wife is?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #1934
Ksyrup

Oh, and sorry to ruin your fun.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:42 AM   #1935
korme
Go Reds

as much as i love u ks, this is a god damn movie thread, until u see sarah marshall, stay the f out
Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 AM   #1936
Ksyrup

Hey, I figured you'd want some follow-up. That was probably the best chance of me seeing it. Likely won't happen now.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #1937
Lorena
Unregistered

Planet Earth - 9.5/10

To get the full experience, I recommend watching the Blue-Ray version. 4 discs of gorgeous detail, they are:

Disc 1 - "From Pole to Pole", "Mountains", and "Freshwater"
Disc 2 - "Caves," "Deserts", and "Ice Worlds."
Disc 3 - "Great Plains," "Jungles", and "Shallow Seas."
Disc 4 - "Seasonal Forests" and "Ocean Deep."

Stunning, absolutely stunning angles, colors and did I mention detail? From the beautiful glistening snow, to the rough texture of sand, to the mighty powerful waterfalls.

Although they're all pretty incredible, my favorites were Caves and Forests as I have never heard of some of the creatures/living things living in these places. There was a salamander that lives at the bottom of a cave with no eyes and no pigment in its skin because it never saw the sun. It takes several generations for something like that to happen. With Jungles, I was fascinated with the bacteria that lives there and how it impacts everything around it.

Oh man, and the time lapse photography.... wow. Seasons changing, flowers growing, just awe-some. My words don't do this justice, do yourself a favor and watch it.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #1938
rowech
Pro Starter

There Will Be Blood (7/10) -- First off, you're going to need to be in the right frame of mind to watch this. DDL is of course engaging as hell but the movie as a whole wasn't the dazzling movie I expected. I have to sit back and think a little more about the symbolism of everything and how I took it all in. I have two or three major thoughts running through my head which I'm sure is why so many people like it. To me, it was an oil-based Citizen Kane.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #1939
Lorena
Unregistered

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 6/10

Something was totally off with Jessica Alba, her fake blue eyes and terrible blond wig made her look very unattractive. Her acting wasn't the best either.

Overall, it's a watchable movie; I enjoyed the visual effects but wanted to see more of the Silver Surfer, there wasn't enough of him, I thought.

Last edited by Lorena : 06-01-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #1940
Kodos
Resident Alien

Way to spoil our fun, Ksyrup.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #1941
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Murder Set Pieces-1/10

I love a good horror flick, and the box for this movie has a lot of claims like "The most graphic horror film ever committed to celluloid"

A big part of what makes a horror movie great is tension. This movie has none. Zip. Zilch. There is not plot. It reminded me of "The Number 23" in that the same shit kept happening over and over and over and over again. Mind numbing, pointless, devoid of any scares. Avoid at all costs.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #1942
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Once - probably the best movie I've seen yet this year. Low budget Irish indie film about an Irish musician and a Czech girl he meets. It's a borderline musical in the respect that a lot of screen time is dedicated to them composing/performing songs, but for me it worked incredibly well. Maybe a bit of a music-heavy version of Before Sunrise.

I guess 4 of 5 stars at least. Really enjoyed it a great deal.

Just saw this. Great non-Hollywoody movie with some wonderful songs in it. Loved how the guy and girl worked together with their singing.

Spoiler

Last edited by Kodos : 06-03-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #1943
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Aviator - 8/10: This was a 2 hour, 50 minute (or so) length movie that just FLEW by (no pun intended). The acting was top notch. Leo was just mesmerizing to watch and Blanchett was perfect as Hepburn. Even Beckinsale played Gardner well. A lot of name actors in more minor parts as well - the casting was excellent. And the story was facinating. I never really knew much about Hughes' life, so I was really drawn into it. Worthy of all the accolades.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #1944
Subby
lolzcat

Got around to catching up on some must-sees this past week...

Cloverfield: 7.5/10

Probably what Spielberg's War of the Worlds should have been.

No Country for Old Men: 9/10

So great on so many levels, but I was definitely on edge and uneasy during the entire movie.

There Will Be Blood: 8/10

Daniel Day Lewis was as good as advertised, but I felt like the movie came up slightly short of the hype. I ddin't feel as completely cheated as I had with Magnolia, however.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #1945
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Golden Compass - Incomplete I started watching this, but 15 minutes into it, there was nothing that was grabbing my attention and I just couldn't get into the story.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #1946
Ksyrup

Quote:
Way to spoil our fun, Ksyrup.

Sorry. I just don't do movies anymore, so any reasonable alternative to going to a theater will be chosen.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #1947
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Man, my wife is awesome. So we're on the way into town to eat and see one of these movies, and my wife throws out there, "I'm surprised you didn't want to go to the baseball game." We have an Astros Single-A affiliate here. So of course my response is - sensibly - "We're going on a date. It never entered my mind to suggest a baseball game. What do you think I am - stupid?" Turns out she wanted to go.

So we ditched the movie and headed to the game. One of our neighborhood friends who is a Lexington cop sees us when we get there and asks whether we've got tickets yet. We say no, he takes us over to the box office and gets us 6th row seats behind home plate, for free. It was like 70-75 degrees tonight, slight breeze, beautiful night for a game.

Did I mention how awesome my wife is?

IT'S A TRAP!!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #1948
MikeVic
Head Coach

Surf's Up - 7.5/10
A penguin (Cody) lives in Antarctica and dreams of making it big as a surfer. This is shot in a documentary-style, following the adventures of Cody and the people surrounding him. They don't really explain why Cody is having a documentary made of him, but it doesn't matter. I have to say that some of the animation looks really nice. There's some funny/cute stuff in it, but I didn't find anything really outstanding. It's a nice, entertaining kids movie with a pretty simple story.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:26 AM   #1949
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Juno - 5/10: Not my type of movie.. my wife loved it though

Cloverfield - 9/10: I still have goosebumps!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #1950
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Juno - 5/10: Not my type of movie.. my wife loved it though

Cloverfield - 9/10: I still have goosebumps!

I think Cloverfield was underrated. I mean, I don't know how it did at the box office or anything, but among my fellow disenfranchised, cynical youths, it got shat on. I rented it and liked it.