Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #1901
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

With all this talk of primary development console, I'm curious about last gen. I'm going going back and filling in some holes in my collection for the PS3 and X360. What games/series should one make a special attempt to get from one system versus another?

For instance, I think Elder Scrolls, Saint's Row, Mass Effect, and Bioshock would be better had on 360 as they have shown release preference on a Microsoft system at one point. Meanwhile, I think Square shows a distinct preference towards Sony. All of this sound pretty accurate? Is there even a discernible difference?

But what about Assassin's Creed? Grand Theft Auto? Dead Space? Dark Souls? Far Cry? Generic EA sports games? Your run of the mill FPS like Call of Duty? What is the best system for these? Again, is there a difference?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #1902
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Most of the XB fans haven't dealt with the situation where exclusives and primary development are on the other console.

I guess I missed all those times an exclusive was developed on the opposing console. How on earth did I miss that?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #1903
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
With all this talk of primary development console, I'm curious about last gen. I'm going going back and filling in some holes in my collection for the PS3 and X360. What games/series should one make a special attempt to get from one system versus another?

For instance, I think Elder Scrolls, Saint's Row, Mass Effect, and Bioshock would be better had on 360 as they have shown release preference on a Microsoft system at one point. Meanwhile, I think Square shows a distinct preference towards Sony. All of this sound pretty accurate? Is there even a discernible difference?

But what about Assassin's Creed? Grand Theft Auto? Dead Space? Dark Souls? Far Cry? Generic EA sports games? Your run of the mill FPS like Call of Duty? What is the best system for these? Again, is there a difference?

SI

Stop being rational.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #1904
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

Most crossplatform games ran better on the 360 due to it being easier to develop for. What studios would do is build the game for the 360 and then just port it over to the PS3.

Most EA and 2K games are that way. Essentially any game that did demos in E3 on the 360 was developed on the 360.

The only exception would probably be GTA V in terms of performance. The PS3 version is better and suffered less pop in.

Same reason goes to why most demos on game conventions are now on PS4 because they are using the PS4 as primary dev console now, and just porting to Xbox One.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #1905
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Stop being rational.

I'm not rational, I'm cheap

If I'm going to spend my money now in little $10 chunks (rather than $60 initially), I want to spend it the best I can

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #1906
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Most crossplatform games ran better on the 360 due to it being easier to develop for. What studios would do is build the game for the 360 and then just port it over to the PS3.

Most EA and 2K games are that way. Essentially any game that did demos in E3 on the 360 was developed on the 360.

The only exception would probably be GTA V in terms of performance. The PS3 version is better and suffered less pop in.

I would believe that EA built for the 360 first and probably 2K. But what about Ubi's studios, for instance? Squeenix? How about a smaller house like Atlus? I could even see a situation where some studios within Activision developed for one while some developed for another because they seem quite compartmentalized.

I'm certainly willing to accept I'm wrong but I suspect it's more complicated than a simple "everyone developed for the 360 first".

SI

Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #1907
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I would believe that EA built for the 360 first and probably 2K. But what about Ubi's studios, for instance? Squeenix? How about a smaller house like Atlus? I could even see a situation where some studios within Activision developed for one while some developed for another because they seem quite compartmentalized.

I'm certainly willing to accept I'm wrong but I suspect it's more complicated than a simple "everyone developed for the 360 first".

SI

If you had the choice and money wasn't an option, I'd agree with Neon Chaos. Outside of GTA, there's not a multiplatform game that I'd recommend you purchase the PS3 version over the 360 version.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #1908
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you had the choice and money wasn't an option, I'd agree with Neon Chaos. Outside of GTA, there's not a multiplatform game that I'd recommend you purchase the PS3 version over the 360 version.

I've only ever owned one system at a time so I obviously can't comment firsthand, but I suspect that for everyone other than the hardest-core of hardcore gamers (and even then for a large % of them) the differences that you're so hung up on are (a) immaterial, and (b) don't affect the core gameplay experience.

In which case, who really cares.

39 pages into this thread and you know what - I still don't understand WHY you get so wrapped up in this. You don't work for either company. You don't own stock in either company (right?). You don't operate a business that has a material financial interest in the success of one platform or another. So why is this like a year-long, every single piece of data type of obsession for you?? Why???

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-20-2014 at 11:09 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #1909
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

If anyone REALLY cares:

lensoftruth.com

A website completely dedicated to comparing multiplatform games across the different systems. I have used them a few times since I own all the systems.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #1910
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

I would look at the 'original' system the game was developed for.

For most games, the answer is going to be 'Xbox 360,' but a game like FFXIII? That was PS3-exclusive in development for the longest time and only changed when it became evident that the PS3 userbase wasn't going to deliver enough sales to make the game profitable. If I had both systems (and I do), I'd have the FFXIII games on PS3 rather than 360 (...and I do).

But yeah, for most multiplatform games, it's 360 for me and it isn't even something I have to think about.

Exception to the rule: if there isn't a clear difference (as in FFXIII et al), I'd go for whichever is less expensive, whether generally or on a special sale.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #1911
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
If anyone REALLY cares:

lensoftruth.com

A website completely dedicated to comparing multiplatform games across the different systems. I have used them a few times since I own all the systems.

Unfortunately, I'll have to check it out when I get home (silly work block page). Does it list features (who gets free DLC, etc) as well as graphics comparisons?

SI

Old 04-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #1912
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If anyone REALLY cares:

lensoftruth.com

Agreed. Great site especially for those that want to compare the games. They've done a great job analyzing the resolution and frame rate comparisons on the current gen multiplatform games.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #1913
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'll have to check it out when I get home (silly work block page). Does it list features (who gets free DLC, etc) as well as graphics comparisons?

SI

It really just delves into how well they run. It goes over all things technical from frame rates to graphics and lighting comparisons among other technical minded comparisons.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #1914
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
If anyone REALLY cares:

lensoftruth.com

I've tried a couple different times and can't get the page to load.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #1915
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I've tried a couple different times and can't get the page to load.

It appears to be down right now. You can search 'lens of truth head2head' on YouTube and see many of the same video comparisons they have on their site.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #1916
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It appears to be down right now. You can search 'lens of truth head2head' on YouTube and see many of the same video comparisons they have on their site.

It is down for some reason. First time I've ever seen it go down. I guess I should run under the assumption that overwhelming demand from FOFC drove the site into the ground.

Videos I don't think really do the site justice. The articles and the pictures with the sliders on them are what I like to see.

Anyway, I'll spoil it for you guys, the vast majority of the games are a dead heat. Especially the more recent games. In the cases where they aren't a draw it tends to favor XBox 360, mostly due to frame rate differences. Visual fidelity is mostly the same on both consoles.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #1917
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Xbox One gets a release date in Japan.

Xbox One reaches Japan on September 4 | Joystiq
Old 04-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #1918
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Listing for Gears of War jobs pops up.

Xbox One Gears of War game will use "bleeding edge" rendering techniques for "best in class" visuals - GameSpot
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #1919
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Article discussing what Sony/MS anticipate for E3:

PS4 boss teases "very exciting" E3 plans - GameSpot

MS financials are out. Interesting that Microsoft CFO indicates that they may slow manufacture of X1 consoles until demand catches up with excess supply.

Gamasutra - Xbox One increases Microsoft revenues - but its cost cuts into profits
Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #1920
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

MS discusses their strategy of filling in gaps between game releases with original programming. Also talks about which games are being considered for original programming.

Xbox Originals TV to fill the gaps between game launches | Joystiq

Gears of War, Fable and Forza fair game for TV shows | Joystiq
Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #1921
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting thought occured to me yesterday while picking up a new controller for my son and talking with the gamer geek at the GameStop.

(Seriously his name tag said Hi I am GamerGeek Adam)

All of the talk and teeth gnashing on sales numbers, can we read profit numbers anywhere?

I am sure they are out there but I dont even know where to search.
With the ever growing chasm between Sony and M$ in this round, is it safe to also assume that Sony is making more $ per unit than M$?

Not trying to start an argument, just occured to me while I waited in line for 10 minutes while a pale 20 something wearing way too many bracelets counted out $1 bills (no shit) to pay for an X1.

There is a lot of talk here about "winning" so who makes the most oney and where can I find these stats?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #1922
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Interesting thought occured to me yesterday while picking up a new controller for my son and talking with the gamer geek at the GameStop.

(Seriously his name tag said Hi I am GamerGeek Adam)

All of the talk and teeth gnashing on sales numbers, can we read profit numbers anywhere?

I am sure they are out there but I dont even know where to search.
With the ever growing chasm between Sony and M$ in this round, is it safe to also assume that Sony is making more $ per unit than M$?

Not trying to start an argument, just occured to me while I waited in line for 10 minutes while a pale 20 something wearing way too many bracelets counted out $1 bills (no shit) to pay for an X1.

There is a lot of talk here about "winning" so who makes the most oney and where can I find these stats?

According to the market research firm IHS (I'm pulling this basically off of two websites who I googled and found they have the same numbers / source) the PS4 costs $381 to manufacture and the XBox One is $471. They are both selling them at a loss and intending to make their money elsewhere (online subscription and software being the two major players here). Of the $90 difference in manufacturing price, $75 of it is the Kinect.

These numbers are all from November.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #1923
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Xbox One to be released in China.

Microsoft Xbox One Console Rolls Out in China in Fall - Businessweek
Old 04-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #1924
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big move by Nintendo. The problem is that the price point is still too high IMO even with the pack-in games.

Nintendo bundling Wii U with two games and an extra controller for $330 on May 30th
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #1925
chadritt
High School Varsity

huh...and here i was thinking "oooo, I guess its about time for me to buy a WiiU.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #1926
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

It's only a matter of time until we see some of the Sony divisions sold off. The games division is doing extremely well, but the overall company just can't figure out that premium priced products in smartphones, TV's, and computers are simply not in high demand anymore.

PS4 is doing great - but it's a different story for Sony • Eurogamer.net

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-01-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #1927
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's only a matter of time until we see some of the Sony divisions sold off. The games division is doing extremely well, but the overall company just can't figure out that premium priced products in smartphones, TV's, and computers are simply not in high demand anymore.

PS4 is doing great - but it's a different story for Sony • Eurogamer.net

I can't believe how crappy their TV's have become, first my 52" goes down after 3 years and now my dad's 55" after about the same time frame.

I only purchased Sony years ago.. but now a cheap TV is better in the long run when it comes to bang vs buck.

(at least in my experience)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #1928
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I had a Sony TV about 10 years ago that crapped out in 2 years. Only good thing is that it was a mass problem that I found on the internet, so I got them to give me 1500 dollars towards a new TV. I ended up buying a Samsung that is still working great.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #1929
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some leak info about MS's E3 presentation from @thuway:

Quote:
Ahsan Rasheed ‏@thuway 2h
JRPG is in development. 99% of the rumor points it to being Mistwalker.

Source says EVERY NTKRNL rumor is true.

Rockstar still wants to make Agent but I have no idea if its in development. It's founders "Dreamgame"- GTA5 PC/NextGen are also coming

Halo 5 is supposed to be very different from the older games - more or less open world and very ambitious.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #1930
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like a big leak of Sony E3 info.......

Huge leak may show us everything Sony has planned for the PS4 at E3 - Yahoo Games

Titanfall sales numbers released......

Titanfall nears 1 million sold in three weeks

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-07-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #1931
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Those numbers don't include my purchase of Titanfall.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #1932
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Those numbers don't include my purchase of Titanfall.

Yes, I'm surprised MS hasn't released those numbers. Usually when they aren't released, that's a good sign they aren't significant.

Between that and the botched digital release of MLB: The Show 14 on the PS4, there's some real questions as to whether digital is even remotely close to be the predominant media on consoles.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #1933
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Digital will get better and soon be the dominant way to purchase games. Who wants to swap disks when you can just switch games stored on the HD?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #1934
chadritt
High School Varsity

Ive done it once on a home console and hated it. It was on the PS3 so media management/hard drive space was annoying, it took FOREVER to download, and restricted my ability to install future games. I felt like I wasted my money when i needed to delete the game for the drive space. Unless I know I can keep every game I ever buy for the life of the console without re-downloading and download speed greatly increases then I would rather just have a disc.

Last edited by chadritt : 05-07-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #1935
chadritt
High School Varsity

Dola. I love it on my 3DS though, its amazing for a portable system.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #1936
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Ive done it once on a home console and hated it. It was on the PS3 so media management/hard drive space was annoying, it took FOREVER to download, and restricted my ability to install future games. I felt like I wasted my money when i needed to delete the game for the drive space. Unless I know I can keep every game I ever buy for the life of the console without re-downloading and download speed greatly increases then I would rather just have a disc.

Absolutely. It's clear most of the public agrees with this sentiment and the lack of digital purchases related to total purchases clearly drive that home. We're not even remotely close to the point where digital purchase become the majority of the purchasing for AAA games on consoles.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #1937
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Digital will get better and soon be the dominant way to purchase games. Who wants to swap disks when you can just switch games stored on the HD?

This is true. Though I'll miss seeing my library of game cases on my bookshelf.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #1938
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I can also say the same thing, but my wife would disagree with me 100%.

I need a man cave.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #1939
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I'm old and lazy.. but I hate having to put all those damn games back in place again after a night of gaming.

I've downloaded the free XBL games and it was easy as can be.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #1940
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Steam has really made me appreciate digital distribution when it's done right.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #1941
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Same, I don't blink at all at digital. XBox Live is still not Steam, it takes an eternity to download/install games(even with physical media oddly enough).

However just being able to launch/install games from the Xbox One interface as opposed to maintaining and swapping media is an ability I wouldn't trade for anything.

I think console gamers will get to that point quicker than the last few posts have predicted. I remember when I hated Steam(back on HL2's release), but my tune changed quickly.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-08-2014 at 08:56 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #1942
korme
Go Reds

Do we have a comprehensive list of next-gen usernames here at FOFC?

I'm on PS4 - kormstar. My What's New page is boring, I only have 2 friends.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #1943
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

This. The digital distribution isn't the problem. The implementation by the console companies is the huge deterrent right now. I've thought about buying a new HDD for the PS4 to allow me enough space for digital, but I'm not for certain that Sony has the situation refined to the point where I'd consider moving in that direction.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #1944
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

zempfester on PS4. I'm the only one I know with one so far.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #1945
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I have a PS4! wlj1701a is my userID, I think...
Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #1946
markprior22
High School Varsity

PS4-hawkfandave827
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #1947
TRO
College Prospect

All of the free content for PS+ finally put me over the breaking point and I've gone completely digital.

PSN: RoyalApe (no space)
XBL: Royal Ape (space)
Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #1948
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

NeonChaos on ps4. Add me up.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #1949
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

I'd imagine there's a PS3 username thread somewhere; anybody who's upgraded to PS4 (I haven't yet), the username should still be the same unless they actively changed it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #1950
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Install and load times are unacceptably long on these next gen consoles. I can't believe they shipped them like this. Also some of theses installs are ludicrously large.