Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #1901
Groundhog
Coordinator

If you haven't seen it, check the highlights of today's Clips game for Baby Shaq's very impressive rejection. Didn't know the lard-ass could get so high.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #1902
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Delonte arrest tapes are now online, but not nearly as cool as I had hoped.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:24 AM   #1904
whomario
Pro Starter

Rockets resign Scola, 45/5. Bit overpaid perhaps, especially long term. Little suprise they didn´t wait on an offer, maybe heard sth about an outrageous offer to come from another Team (there also was some talk about his former team Tau Vitoria having a big offer lined up)

Good he´s back anyway
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-16-2010 at 02:39 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #1905
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If you haven't seen it, check the highlights of today's Clips game for Baby Shaq's very impressive rejection. Didn't know the lard-ass could get so high.

Fat Boy can jump!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:02 AM   #1906
whomario
Pro Starter

Summer Shaq !

He´s (as expected) not looking too good in summer league, the guy needs a structured role with decent teammates.

Rockets also made an offer to Brad Miller despite now being firmly in the Luxury Tax. I love it.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #1907
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Summer Shaq !

He´s (as expected) not looking too good in summer league, the guy needs a structured role with decent teammates.

Agreed, this isn't the best forum for him to display his game, although it is obviously enough for him to show off his potential. On that alone, I think the Clips should go ahead and make that offer and bring him in, see what he can do. They have cap space to go around anyway, and not too many good options out there on which to spend it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #1908
TroyF
Coordinator

Magic match the offer to J.J.

Damn, I wish my owner would pay the tax instead of trying by buy Arsenal.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #1909
Anthony
Banned

i was reading one of those ESPN.com tweets in the NBA section, and one of the writers came out of nowhere with a tweet about Baron Davis to NYK. tried searching around for a corresponding link to get some more info but found nothing. those tweets serve no purpose if there isn't a link related to it. i don't care about sources or someone's hunch, i want concrete intel.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #1910
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
i was reading one of those ESPN.com tweets in the NBA section, and one of the writers came out of nowhere with a tweet about Baron Davis to NYK. tried searching around for a corresponding link to get some more info but found nothing. those tweets serve no purpose if there isn't a link related to it. i don't care about sources or someone's hunch, i want concrete intel.

Interesting. The Clips haven't flat out said "come and get BD", but it's pretty much out there that they would be willing to move his contract if the price is right. What on Earth would the Clips take in return? And why would the Knicks bring in such a big contract when they just signed Felton? Sure, BD's better than Felton, but he's also older and goes on mystifying, unconscious shot binges and he's much more expensive.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #1911
Anthony
Banned

here's the tweet from ESPN.com from some writer named Larry Coon (never heard of him):

Quote:
@LarryCoon I like idea of Baron Davis to NY RT @NothinButWet: Let's say NYK decide to trade Curry. Who are some realistic players wed be looking into?

but here's the thing - "i like the idea of...". what do you mean by that? an idea you came up with? if so, i could care less. or do you mean someone in the know floated or leaked the idea out there and you're reporting it. i reread this a 2nd time and it seems someone was asking him a question about Curry's contract, and this Larry Coon guy pulled Baron Davis out of his ass. this is crap reporting since the lines of real concrete info is being blurred with pure speculation.

and this would never happen. NYK fans would tear MSG down if we put up with Curry's horrible contract for so long just to move him for Baron Davis. i probably would become a Nets fan if that ever happened.

Last edited by Anthony : 07-16-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #1912
Logan
Head Coach

Twitter exists for those types of things. Very few people have real info. Plus someone saying "I like the idea..." could be saying that because they'd like to see the Knicks go through all of this just to add another long term terrible contract.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #1913
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Coon keeps that website that explains the CBA.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #1914
MikeVic
Head Coach

SLAM ONLINE | » Penny Hardaway Wants to Play for the Miami Heat

And see Durant's twitter feed today? Now that's a competitor. He questioned why everyone wants to go to Miami and LA now, they should want to go up against them and beat them.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #1915
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

And see Durant's twitter feed today? Now that's a competitor. He questioned why everyone wants to go to Miami and LA now, they should want to go up against them and beat them.

woohoo Durant!!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #1916
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Durantula!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #1917
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Durant just gained some respect points in my book.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #1918
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Durant's quickly becoming my favorite player not on my team.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #1919
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bulls sign Ronnie Brewer for 3 years / 12.5 mill.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-16-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #1920
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

The second the Nuggets are eliminated each year, OKC becomes the team I will cheer for.

I love that guy.

Last edited by TroyF : 07-16-2010 at 02:22 PM.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #1921
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, as much as I hate what happened to Seattle, one of my close friends is a big Sonics fan and so I can't really cheer for anything involving them. So one positive about the Seattle thing is that I can say Durant is my favourite player (especially now that Bosh is gone from Toronto).
Old 07-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #1922
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

he's already my favorite player. he lost points though when he signed an extension to play in purgatory, i mean OKC, for the next 5 years.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #1923
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
he's already my favorite player. he lost points though when he signed an extension to play in purgatory, i mean OKC, for the next 5 years.

They seem to have a smart GM though. You just want him in New York.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #1924
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

great news!!

Source: Boston Celtics bring back Nate Robinson for 2 years - ESPN Boston
Old 07-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #1925
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Agreed on all the Durant talk. I liked the dude before Twitter, but reading him always tweeting about his love of just playing ball combined with his tweet earlier today, he's easily become my favorite player outside DRose.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #1926
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Durant is the man. Love his Twitter feed. Got to see him live last year and he's amazing. The Thunder are officially my Western Conference team and one of the reasons I'll be buying the NBA package.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #1927
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Bulls sign Ronnie Brewer for 3 years / 12.5 mill.

Who?

No, I'm not kidding, the name rang zero bells to me. Closest I could come to that was Randy Breuer.

edit to add: Without Googling him, played at Florida maybe?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-16-2010 at 07:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #1928
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Who?

No, I'm not kidding, the name rang zero bells to me. Closest I could come to that was Randy Breuer.

You're thinking of Corey Brewer.

6'7 shooting guard who is a very good defender and solid finisher at the rim. Not much of a shooter though. Decent pickup for the Bulls that could make the Hinrich loss a wash.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #1929
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Arkansas I believe.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #1931
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Who?

S'okay, I really had no idea who he was either. Only reason I had any clue is I looked him up earlier when I was researching the list of SG's the Bulls might be interested in.

BUT...while I'm still pissed they've traded Hinrich for basically no purpose now, Brewer may not be bad - a big guard who can theoretically play defense.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-16-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #1932
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Brad Miller to the Houston Rockets for 3/$15mil.

What a country.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #1933
Danny
Head Coach

I was thinking about how great point guards don't win championships. What was the last team to win a championship with a PG as their best player?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #1934
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I was thinking about how great point guards don't win championships. What was the last team to win a championship with a PG as their best player?

The Pistons with Isiah Thomas (89-90)?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #1935
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Define "point guard." Is it just the starter with the position title "point guard"? Or is it the guy who brings up the ball. Does the point guard have to be a facilitator? Or do scoring guards who bring the ball up count as well?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #1936
Danny
Head Coach

I am referring to a true PG, Nash, Kidd, Stockton, etc...
Old 07-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #1937
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
The Pistons with Isiah Thomas (89-90)?
You could argue the Pistons with Chauncey Billups. And D-Wade was basically the PG when Miami won.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #1938
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am referring to a true PG, Nash, Kidd, Stockton, etc...

But that's just a label. If a player does what a point guard does but is not listed as a point guard, does he then not qualify? That seems silly to me.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #1939
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
You could argue the Pistons with Chauncey Billups. And D-Wade was basically the PG when Miami won.

Wade is case in point A for what I am trying to get at that, although you could broadly argue others.

And, yeah, even under the strict definition of PGs, Billups is a good call.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #1940
Danny
Head Coach

Yes those are good examples, but kind of disproves my train of thought to some degree. I will just choose to keep it a strict label so as to avoid contradicting what I was thinking and keeping my self confidence in tact.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #1941
miami_fan
Coordinator

I would ask for your definition as well. Tony Parker is as true of a PG as there has been in the league.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #1942
Danny
Head Coach

But Tony Parker was not the best player on those title teams, Duncan was. But yes he is a true point guard. Billups works though it's arguable who the best player on that Pistons team was. I think I would go with Billups too, but it is debatable.

Wade did handle PG duties basically, but he is not really what I had in mind. I meant more the traditional, pass first, run the offense type point guard.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #1943
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
But Tony Parker was not the best player on those title teams, Duncan was. But yes he is a true point guard. Billups works though it's arguable who the best player on that Pistons team was. I think I would go with Billups too, but it is debatable.

Wade did handle PG duties basically, but he is not really what I had in mind. I meant more the traditional, pass first, run the offense type point guard.

So you want to know if a team won when their best player was one who didnt score points?
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #1944
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post

What a country.

3rd year is basically a team option with just 1 mio guaranteed from what i read. He lost most of his athleticism roughly 20 years ago and the rest about 5 ago and still was effective, so i´d say 2 more years will be fine
i would have preferred a more athletic backup, but at the end he was the best option available and the best Center backup Yao had aside from Mutombo.
He also should be usefull on offense with Yao on the bench with his passing ability and being used to play from the high post, could be a good for a 2nd unit that is more athletic than the starters and has less outside shooting.

But as said before : Not my money, good for the owner he has the ability to pay that (and the Lux tax, but maybe they get to move a guy like Jeffries) and as a fan i´m just not worrying about the Cap situation for now as the Rockets are clearly seeing this as their window to contend. Not yet sure they can, but definitely did everything they could in the last 2 years and that´s all i can ask for.

Brooks/Lowry
Martin/Budinger
Ariza/Battier
Scola/Patterson (actually i wouldn´t be shocked to see Hill or Hayes here at the start of the year)
Yao/Miller

that´s quite a fine 10 man rotation with guys like Hill, Hayes, Andersen and Jeffries behind.
Hopefully they can swing a trade or 2 to add more depth at the 1-3 in exchange for those 4 guys. That are propably the best 5th-8th best big men on any NBA roster ...

Last edited by whomario : 07-17-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #1945
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
So you want to know if a team won when their best player was one who didnt score points?

It was more just query into thinking that dominant PG's don't seem to lead teams to championships like dominate big men or scorers like Jordan/Bryant. I realize there are players who aren't PG, but play a role similar to that.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #1946
bronconick
College Starter

Well, Boston was about a quarter away,and at this point, Rondo's their best player.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #1947
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
What a country.

And Atlanta left at the altar, with Miller pretty much their last hope to add a starting center not named Shaq (and the local beat writer says the Marvin Williams to the Cavs for Shaq deal appears dead now).
Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #1948
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I doubt Miller could start. Can give you 20-25 minutes a night though. He was one of my favorite players last year and Houston will love him.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #1949
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I doubt Miller could start. Can give you 20-25 minutes a night though. He was one of my favorite players last year and Houston will love him.

Based on what I'm reading this week seems that the plan was for Miller to start (whether he played starter minutes or not) in order to move Horford to his natural PF position. Regardless, he would have been an upgrade since there really isn't a true NBA center on the roster at all.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #1950
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I pity anyone who has to watch the bloated carcass of Shaq next year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote