Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #1901
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Must download for anyone using 2.2.6:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v227.exe

Fixes error 9 on the first day of a preseason tourney if you entered the manual game scheduling screen after tourneys were scheduled.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #1902
britrock88
Pro Starter

Pardon my youth, but why 1990 in particular? I have been working on a default file for the year in the mid-80s (pardon me for forgetting at the moment) when the tourney expanded to 64.

As a super wish, any hints on how to best measure prestige when building historical datasets?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #1903
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Pardon my youth, but why 1990 in particular? I have been working on a default file for the year in the mid-80s (pardon me for forgetting at the moment) when the tourney expanded to 64.

As a super wish, any hints on how to best measure prestige when building historical datasets?

Well I completed my test file and took 1990 for the reason that it is the last season before the super conferences began. The next season Arkansas and South Carolina moved to the SEC to make the first 12 team conference. Shortly after the bricks sarted falling left and right. The Southwest and Metro conference disappeared just to name a few. In the mid 80's I think 30+ schools were still independent which bugged me. I wanted the number to get as small as I could.

Also I think it was a year that had a lot of legendary coaches getting ready to leave the game and some new blood coaches who are great today starting out their careers.

What I did for the purposes of my file (Since I couldn't find the ages of every coach) was I made them all in their thirties. That way I could sim out history and they would still be around. I wondered how many teams would keep their coaches as long starting fresh. Also I took that teams average scores for the year and set that as the teams pace (Loyola Marymount, UNLV, Ark and Southern are 10's I think while Air Force and Princeton are 0's)

What I did for prestige was used the SRS (simple rating system) from basketball refference for every team which ended up being 31.1 for UNLV and -29.6 for Northern Illinois. Then I set up ratios for everything in between (UNLV ended up being 100, Northern Illinois 0 and Robert Morris a 50 (SRS=0))

I'm sure the test file can still use some editing on it but it's worked okay so far. The file is [url="http://iaa-fbcb.us/1990 ncaa.zip"]and the thread I'm using to sim out history is 1990: Before the changes......

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 06-27-2011 at 06:11 PM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #1904
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Pretty much done with a 1978 startup, hope to post it tonight
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #1905
Illini Boy
n00b

I was editing all of the pre-season tournaments for my league I'm making. I noticed that when editing the tournaments that the host teams wouldn't save. I would edit them in the excel sheet and they wouldn't save when I started the game. I tried to edit the host info in the game and it wouldn't save either. I'm not sure if this is a known bug or I am just doing something completely wrong (I doubt it, but it is possible). Any idea's?

Thanks,
Illini
Illini Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #1906
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

This should fix the hosts issue:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v228.exe
Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #1907
Illini Boy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
This should fix the hosts issue:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v228.exe

It is fixed! Thanks so much for such a quick fix! Much appreciated!

Thanks,
Illini
Illini Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #1908
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I continue to be impressed by the challenge of this game.

In my latest career, I opted to start off with Bryant in the Northeastern Conference. They were a 4 in prestige, lowest in that conference. I figured it would be a challenge, but in my last career I'd started off with North Dakota in the Great West Conference and they had dropped to a 0 in prestige when I was hired, and I had been able to turn things around pretty quickly to where I was winning the conference by year 3.

What I hadn't figured on though was the spread in prestige within the conference as a factor - whereas in my last career the highest prestige in my conference was a 20 or so, in this one the highest prestige teams were in the high 30's.

So far I've done OK with Bryant - 10-8, 9-9, 9-9, 10-8 & 9-9 in conference, and I've raised the prestige to 11 and gotten two (minor) facilities boosts. But I'm also treading water as you can see by the conference records - while I've definitely raised the talent level at Bryant, the rest of the conference has also improved in that regard*. The roster I took over featured scholarship guys worse than the walk-ons you get at major conference teams - all red/red except for one orange/green and two red/orange guys. Now, most of my roster is green in potential with a nice mix of orange and yellow and one or two greens in current.

And while I feel like I've developed a pretty good grasp of recruiting strategy in this game, I can still get humbled - I whiffed completely two seasons ago when I had 3 openings, chasing some pretty good foreign players that lasted to the last couple of months in the season with no other offers but refusing to commit to me and then ditching me for high-level teams at the last minute.

I do think I'm close to breaking through and winning the conference and/or conference tournament (which would bring an auto-bid to the NCAA), and close to at least garnering a CBI or CIT tourney invite, but it hasn't happened as quickly as I thought.

I continue to be impressed at how this game can challenge you - every time I think I've had an "a-ha!" moment and figured out the keys to success, I keep finding out I still have more to learn. Kudos Brian - great game and great support to your customers!

* I think that might be a minor flaw with the game - it would appear that the initial rosters of the very low prestige teams are not sustainable. There's enough talent in the recruiting pool every year that even the worst teams will see a modest improvement in roster talent
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #1909
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm unable to view this complete article but it would be interesting if this could be used to create a real coaches file:

NCB: The coaching preferences of Kentucky's John Calipari, UConn's Jim Calhoun - ESPN
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #1910
inranger
n00b

I recently installed FBB on a new laptop, but can't figure out how to keep the desktop and laptop in sync. I copied the saved file from my desktop to a flash drive, but can't seem to figure out where to copy it on the laptop so that FBB there finds it. The laptop is running windows 7. Can anyone walk me through the process of copying files to keep the two computers in sync?
inranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #1911
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

First off make sure you are running the game as an administrator. For FBB you just need to copy the \leaguedata\ folder from the old install to the new installation folder.

For FBCB, go to tools and choose edit default league then choose open folder. Copy the entire contents of this folder to your flash drive. Then run the game on your new computer and do the same to open the data folder. Then past the data from the flash drive to this folder. This should perfectly sync up the data on both computers.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #1912
inranger
n00b

Quote:
First off make sure you are running the game as an administrator. For FBB you just need to copy the \leaguedata\ folder from the old install to the new installation folder.

For FBCB, go to tools and choose edit default league then choose open folder. Copy the entire contents of this folder to your flash drive. Then run the game on your new computer and do the same to open the data folder. Then past the data from the flash drive to this folder. This should perfectly sync up the data on both computers.

Thanks HR, I appreciate your help.
inranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #1913
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

The pre-season tournies aren't happening. It happened before the 2.2.8 patch becasue it did not work the previous season at all. By that I mean the games did not get played.

the 2012 season worked as expected. In 2013, none of the games were played, however, I did not notice because I was not in one.

In 2014, I got an invite to the GDS tourney, accepted and the days between 11/11 and 11/23 (roughly) were marked as taken up with the tournament so that I could not schedule. I played the first round game, then it simulated to 11/23, skipping the tournament second round. I did win the first round. the tourney history has no results listed for 2013 or 2014, but does have the invited teams for 2014.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #1914
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v229.exe

Looks like when I was trying to make it so the messed up tourneys would play without missing a year I put in some debugging code and forgot to take it out. As long as the tourney is scheduled correctly and hasn't been started yet it should work now.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #1915
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v229.exe

Looks like when I was trying to make it so the messed up tourneys would play without missing a year I put in some debugging code and forgot to take it out. As long as the tourney is scheduled correctly and hasn't been started yet it should work now.

Many thanks. I'll try to find some time today to move forward a season and let you know how it goes.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #1916
youcancallmeal
n00b

Maybe this has been asked, if not answered, but what are the criteria for NCAA selection and seeding?

RPI seems to play a big role, and winning % (or maybe just total games won). But I still see a lot of situations that aren't explained by those two. What about top-50 wins, for example?
youcancallmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #1917
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

W/L matters and there are significant adjustments based on who the team beat and who their losses where against. Obviously beating better teams matters while losing to those teams doesn't hurt you as much. Losing to sub 200 RPI teams is bad for your rating. If you see weird things happen feel free to let me know and I can take a look at a save once the bracket is set but no games are played.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #1918
youcancallmeal
n00b

Cool, thanks. Something did come up in the online league just now. Several of the teams assigned to the 12-seed play-in games were conference tournament champions. Meanwhile, some of the 13 seeds were at-large selections.
youcancallmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #1919
Klinglerware
College Starter

I am 15-20 years into a solo career at Monmouth. I have built the program into a perennial regular season champion/20 game winner (albeit one that consistently chokes in the conference tourney). My hot seat rating is "ice cold".

Interestingly enough, I have not received a single head coach offer during this entire span. Was this something that might have been tweaked?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #1920
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Conference champs were getting moved because of the code to reseed teams due to conference conflicts. I made some more tweaks to the code so it should only bump at large teams into the play-in games. I can rerun the seeding on the league save with the new code if you guys would like.

Klinglerware, I'd be happy to look at your save if you want to send it to [email protected]. That's the only way I can get you an accurate answer for why you aren't getting offers.

Last edited by HeavyReign : 07-13-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #1921
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
I am 15-20 years into a solo career at Monmouth. I have built the program into a perennial regular season champion/20 game winner (albeit one that consistently chokes in the conference tourney). My hot seat rating is "ice cold".

Interestingly enough, I have not received a single head coach offer during this entire span. Was this something that might have been tweaked?
I was about to post an almost identical question. I'm in year 13 of a career at Bryant, and while I haven't been quite as successful as you're describing, my hot seat rating has been "cool" since year 3 and I've raised the prestige from 4 to 27, been to 2 NIT tournaments and won the conference tournament once for an NCAA tournament appearance.

Not one head coaching offer, whereas my previous experience with the game would have suggested I'd have started getting offers starting somewhere between year 5 and 7.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #1922
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post

I'm head coach of Detroit and not gotten any offers through four seasons, including one as National coach of the year. Another was Horizon COY. So I looked at the new coaches after season 4 and discovered everyone (and I mean everyone) hired had been an assistant at a big name, high reputation school. No one had moved up from a head coach job at a lower prestige school.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #1923
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

OK, I found the head coach issue. I'll post a fix once I confirm that it is working. It will take a few seasons to work itself out because the head coach performance rating wasn't getting saved so its like all head coaches are starting from scratch right now.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #1924
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

This includes the updated tourney selection code and the head coach fix:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v2210.exe
Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #1925
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Brian. I also remembered that in my current career, not only have I not gotten any job offers, I haven't gotten any level increases either. So while my assistants have improved, I haven't gotten any bonus points to spend on coaching ability.

Sounds like this was related and is fixed with the new build?

I should have figured out there was an issue a few weeks ago - when I started this career, I was attempting to do what I had in my previous one - sim a season without a job and then see what offers came my way in season 2. I did this, didn't get any offers, simmed to seasons 3 and 4 and still no offers. Started over just to double-check that I had coaching offers turned on, simmed to season 2 and still no offers. Finally gave up and chose a job manually, but this should have been a clue to me that maybe something wasn't working right.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #1926
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
OK, I found the head coach issue. I'll post a fix once I confirm that it is working. It will take a few seasons to work itself out because the head coach performance rating wasn't getting saved so its like all head coaches are starting from scratch right now.

Thanks for the great support, Brian!

Dawgfan - In my current career, I have received a level increase about 3 times in 15 years.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #1927
bryce
High School Varsity

Glad to hear the HC issue was fixed. I was getting frustrated with that as well. 6 years with Alabama A&M and the last two have included 20+ wins and NCAA appearances, but nary a bite on jobs.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #1928
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Pre-season tournies worked fine again. I haven't gotten to a new HC offer segment yet.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #1929
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Player of the Game Logic

The POG seems to go for the high scorer on the winning team too often. Example is my last game. PF had 18 points, 8 rebounds, no blocks or steals. He is POG. Center had 14 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks and one steal. They each had 2 assists. I would have gone with the C as POG.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #1930
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
The POG seems to go for the high scorer on the winning team too often. Example is my last game. PF had 18 points, 8 rebounds, no blocks or steals. He is POG. Center had 14 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks and one steal. They each had 2 assists. I would have gone with the C as POG.

The POG algorithm seems to also pay attention to shooting percentage and assist:turnover ratio, too. See if that changes how you feel about the selection.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #1931
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

POG is determined using Hollinger's game score formula:

(Points x 1.0) + (FGM x 0.4) + (FGA x -0.7) + ((FTA-FTM) x -0.4) + (OREB x 0.7) + (DREB x 0.3) + (STL x 1.0) + (AST x 0.7) + (BLK x 0.7) + (PF x -0.4) + (TO x -1.0)
Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #1932
rjolley
College Starter

Is the POG coded to always be from the winning team? If a player on the losing team has a monster game, but no one else plays well, and the loss is close, shouldn't he still be the POG?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #1933
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Game scores from the losing team are multiplied by .7
Old 07-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #1934
rjolley
College Starter

Ah, good to know.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #1935
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Brian, out of curiosity - have you considered creating iPad versions of your games? Not sure if they are capable of running them, nor do I know how much work it would be on your end to port them if so, but a really good sports sim like your basketball games might be the killer apps that finally get me to cave and buy an iPad...

Last edited by dawgfan : 07-15-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #1936
rjolley
College Starter

I'd vote for an Android version, if I had a vote.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #1937
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

It's something I've been thinking about looking into once I finish the new pro version. Unfortunately, work has been slow for the past month or so. I think if I wanted to find an actual programming job then that would be a great skill to have. There's not much out there for someone who has focused on VB6 programming forever.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #1938
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
POG is determined using Hollinger's game score formula:

(Points x 1.0) + (FGM x 0.4) + (FGA x -0.7) + ((FTA-FTM) x -0.4) + (OREB x 0.7) + (DREB x 0.3) + (STL x 1.0) + (AST x 0.7) + (BLK x 0.7) + (PF x -0.4) + (TO x -1.0)

Good to know the formula. I did notice that FG pct might have entered into it.

I have seen players on the losing team get POG a reasonable amount of the time, too. Particularly after a monster game.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #1939
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I'd vote for an Android version, if I had a vote.

I have finally talked my wife into seeing the need for me to have an Android phone.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #1940
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I have finally talked my wife into seeing the need for me to have an Android phone.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd think smartphone screens are too small to really support the FBB/FBCB interface adequately. But I certainly wouldn't complain if he gave it a shot...
Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #1941
rjolley
College Starter

Was thinking more tablets.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #1942
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Was thinking more tablets.
That's my thought. Maybe that's what OldGiants meant...
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #1943
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I haven't gotten to a new HC offer segment yet.
New HC offers are confirmed working (just in case anyone was curious).

I'm monitoring prestige rating changes - my initial impression is that it's harder to raise prestige in this build, but that may just be me.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #1944
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
That's my thought. Maybe that's what OldGiants meant...

The Android OS. Droid screens are getting bigger with each iteration. Tablets would be good, but they are too new, other than Apple stuff.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #1945
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
New HC offers are confirmed working (just in case anyone was curious).

I'm monitoring prestige rating changes - my initial impression is that it's harder to raise prestige in this build, but that may just be me.

Yes, I've gotten offers after my last season. Did not get any after my first, losing season in the Big Ten, but that is normal.

Prestige increases have been bigger for me as Detroit than as VCU before the last bunch of patches, 46 to start, then: 51, 56, 59, 65, 65 (after going 12-20 in first BigTen season). I'm 20-10 going into tourney time and expect an NCAA bid and another 3 point bump. Only one NCAA bid in this rise, too. The last pop from 59 to 65 was Elite 8. Had a 3rd rate tourney win before the Elite 8.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #1946
britrock88
Pro Starter

Just something I've noticed from MP leagues, but deep in postseason tournaments, where talent is concentrated among the few remaining teams, game scores seem a bit high. Teams are average 85-90 points a game, it appears.

I've noticed that my more talented teams, by and large, are recommended to run their offenses at higher paces. So I think there might be some kind of concentration of high-paced offenses among the very best teams that leads to high-scoring NCAA games.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #1947
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
The Android OS. Droid screens are getting bigger with each iteration. Tablets would be good, but they are too new, other than Apple stuff.

Yeah, probably better on a tablet. FWIW, I used to play the old FBCB (with logmein to a PC) on a device with a 4" touchscreen--but that device had a resistive screen and a stylus. I don't see it working out too well with a small capacitive screen...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #1948
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I've gotten offers after my last season. Did not get any after my first, losing season in the Big Ten, but that is normal.

Prestige increases have been bigger for me as Detroit than as VCU before the last bunch of patches, 46 to start, then: 51, 56, 59, 65, 65 (after going 12-20 in first BigTen season). I'm 20-10 going into tourney time and expect an NCAA bid and another 3 point bump. Only one NCAA bid in this rise, too. The last pop from 59 to 65 was Elite 8. Had a 3rd rate tourney win before the Elite 8.
I took over UNLV two seasons ago. They had been to back-to-back Sweet Sixteens, yet had seen their prestige increase only 1 point each season (something like 70 to 72 - I'm working off of memory here since I'm at work).

My first job in this career was at Stephen F. Austin. When I took over, they were at 40, and despite consistent 20 win seasons and 10-12 conference wins plus a couple NIT invites and a CIT, my prestige dropped each season down to 33 before climbing back up to 35 in my last season before I got the UNLV offer.

Just seems a little more conservative that what I was used to.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #1949
Sweet16
n00b

I am running version 2.2.10 and the game no longer see's a save game to open. The folder is there when I look using Windows.

I was coaching a game and finished it. On arriving at the hot seat screen, the cursor remained as an hourglass. I clicked on SAVE and got the RTE '55' "File already open" message. On starting the game again and clicking LOAD, it shows no save games to load.

I've seen an increasing number of RTE crashes of various types over the last week. I patched it back to 2.2.2 but still no save games found.

Any ideas?
Sweet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #1950
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Check the save folder for any files with .bak extension and then change them to .dat if that file is not present. Basically it sounds like one of the files for the save was corrupt so the game didn't finish loading but the save button wasn't disabled like it should be. If you are able to restore the save by finding .bak files and the game doesn't load let me know and I'll look at the files to see what's going on.

Also, I can't stress enough to everyone that if you get an error then let me know asap. Try to remember the last thing you did as well and what the error was. If you get an error then it will happen again.