Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2023, 06:56 PM   #1901
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's the opposite of an excuse, actually.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:27 PM   #1902
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Not that it's an excuse, either, but I wonder how many people here have tried officiating. I've only tried softball and that's more about positioning than anything - still, it caught me by surprise how hard that can be.

I have watched many a football game from the sidelines and the NFL is a lot faster than what I've seen in person from that vantage. I can't even imagine how hard it is to get calls right real-time. And the NFL game would take as long as the college game if everything was reviewable in replay.

It's too bad the Lions are out. And I think the Seahawks have a legitimate beef here. Sure, it's likely Detroit will play hard - it's a division game, if nothing else. But they have nothing on the line in the end. Perhaps the NFL needs to have the option of bringing a second game into the 8:20 slot instead of just one flex game.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #1903
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think the PFN draft simulator was a wee bit generous in the trades offered.

CHI
Will Anderson Jr.
EDGE Alabama

CHI
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
WR Ohio State

CHI
Michael Mayer
TE Notre Dame

CHI
Bijan Robinson
RB Texas

CHI
Anton Harrison
OT Oklahoma

CHI
Siaki Ika
DT Baylor

CHI
Jalin Hyatt
WR Tennessee

CHI
Andre Carter II
EDGE Army

CHI
Darnell Washington
TE Georgia

CHI
Owen Pappoe
LB Auburn

CHI
Jammie Robinson
S Florida State

CHI
Kei'Trel Clark
CB Louisville

CHI
Joe Tippmann
OC Wisconsin

CHI
Sataoa Laumea
OG Utah

CHI
Noah Ruggles
K Ohio State

2024 CLE 1st
2024 HOU 1st
2024 SEA 1st
2024 BUF 1st
2024 BUF 3rd
Old 01-08-2023, 07:41 PM   #1904
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How the hell do I tell my GF I'm a Lions fan
Old 01-08-2023, 07:47 PM   #1905
Ksyrup

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #1906
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lions offense really not looking sharp so far. Goff is not throwing accurately and the running game is producing nothing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:20 PM   #1907
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks Broncos for letting the Cards have the #3 pick
Old 01-08-2023, 08:32 PM   #1908
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How do I tell my girlfriend I'm a Lions's fan?

You should tell her you don't watch the NFL anymore, just like you claim whenever they take some stand you don't like.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:54 PM   #1909
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

You say 'I'm a Lions fan'? There are four words.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:03 PM   #1910
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Not that it's an excuse, either, but I wonder how many people here have tried officiating. I've only tried softball and that's more about positioning than anything - still, it caught me by surprise how hard that can be.

I have watched many a football game from the sidelines and the NFL is a lot faster than what I've seen in person from that vantage. I can't even imagine how hard it is to get calls right real-time. And the NFL game would take as long as the college game if everything was reviewable in replay.

It's too bad the Lions are out. And I think the Seahawks have a legitimate beef here. Sure, it's likely Detroit will play hard - it's a division game, if nothing else. But they have nothing on the line in the end. Perhaps the NFL needs to have the option of bringing a second game into the 8:20 slot instead of just one flex game.

I think anyone who has had to ref their kid's U8 game will acknowledge how hard that job is. But my guess is all the jobs on an NFL field are hard. I have never been a fan of the ref being exempt from criticism. It doesn't have to be over the top but if they are good enough to be on the field, they can be criticized when they have a bad day.

Re: the NFL schedule on the last day of the season. Is the only reason the NFL doesn't start all the games at say 4pm today to maintain the ratings dominance yesterday and all day today?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:03 PM   #1911
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

You could wait until they've won a Super Bowl and she might be impressed that you like a really good team instead of a mediocre one. I don't know. Don't they make people declare this sort of thing on Meetup?

So, what was going on with the last field goal? I had the sound off and saw the Green Bay player get an intentional 15-yarder, which only meant a much shorter field goal. Why would he do that?
Old 01-08-2023, 09:10 PM   #1912
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I have never been a fan of the ref being exempt from criticism. It doesn't have to be over the top but if they are good enough to be on the field, they can be criticized when they have a bad day.

I don't think I've ever seen a referee have a perfect game. My comment was more that it it were possible and/or practical, we'd have it.

Do they still do the electronic reffing in amateur boxing? I remember when they switched to it for the Olympics and the boxers started fighting like it was one of those elementary-school slap-fights that were all the rage for a while. I exaggerate, of course, but, yeah, I'm thoroughly sick of people blaming the refs for everything.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:55 PM   #1913
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How do I tell my girlfriend I'm a Lions's fan?

Here's a suggestion:

Old 01-08-2023, 10:00 PM   #1914
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow. Guy on Packers shoves a Lions trainer from behind. Never seen that. I am not for calling for a guy to be fired for one action, but I hope there are serious consequences for him.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 10:05 PM   #1915
Ksyrup

Lovie Smith fired.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:08 PM   #1916
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Lovie Smith fired.

for winning?
Old 01-08-2023, 10:09 PM   #1917
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow.

So who gets in if the Packers lose?
Old 01-08-2023, 10:16 PM   #1918
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wow.

So who gets in if the Packers lose?

Seattle
Old 01-08-2023, 10:17 PM   #1919
Ksyrup

That was amazing!
Old 01-08-2023, 10:25 PM   #1920
Ksyrup

Rogers got the look of someone who may be finished.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:31 PM   #1921
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

He might be. Not sure how one is supposed to look, when all of a sudden faced with the off-season just seconds after throwing a season-ending pick.

It could be the opposite - perhaps he was convinced this was it, just one more playoff attempt, and now he's not sure he wants to end his career with that.

Hard to read minds. He went out there and congratulated his opponents, as professionals do at the end of the day.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:36 PM   #1922
Ksyrup

Not giving up the jersey and walking out with his long-time best friend at least gives the impression he's clearly thinking about calling it a career. Or moving on in some fashion.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-08-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:01 AM   #1923
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Lovie Smith fired.

Short of winning the Super Bowl, it was always going to be a one-year job for him. That's why he got 3 guaranteed years.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:07 AM   #1924
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Apologies if someone already posted this, but I saw that Rob Gronkowski donated to Damar Hamlin's gofundme page in the amount of 6,900. Never change, Gronk.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:09 AM   #1925
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

I've shared that I've been refereeing youth soccer for a few years now. It can be surprisingly challenging. For one, there are a lot of rules, though I suspect the NFL is even worse from this perspective. But for two, it's surprising how much edge cases come up that require an escoteric understanding of the rules, which I attribute a bit to kids, especially younger kids, doing weird stuff that the rules didn't really anticipate.

I've also found that you really have to be in the moment at all times, otherwise you start missing stuff. Start thinking about your to do list or when you're going to get to the grocery store this weekend, and suddenly you're not on top fo the game any more.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #1926
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Apologies if someone already posted this, but I saw that Rob Gronkowski donated to Damar Hamlin's gofundme page in the amount of 6,900. Never change, Gronk.
Nice.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:46 AM   #1927
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Wow. Guy on Packers shoves a Lions trainer from behind. Never seen that. I am not for calling for a guy to be fired for one action, but I hope there are serious consequences for him.

I'm a Lions fan so, first, f*** the Packers, but did he not realize that was a trainer? I wanted to look at it again but I think it's a case of the trainer is trying to shove his way in there (as he should) and a player reacts to being shoved by an "opposing player".
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:35 AM   #1928
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I'm a Lions fan so, first, f*** the Packers, but did he not realize that was a trainer? I wanted to look at it again but I think it's a case of the trainer is trying to shove his way in there (as he should) and a player reacts to being shoved by an "opposing player".

Dola: Nope, just saw it again. He sees it's a trainer and just doesn't like being pushed. Plus, another Packer player bodies up to the trainer when the trainer reacts. Classy move, Packers. Glad the Damar Hamlin incident didn't happen to a Packers player.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:54 AM   #1929
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Lovie Smith fired.

You spelled Jeff Saturday wrong.

But seriously, what is Irsay waiting for? Is there a single argument for keeping Saturday around?
Old 01-09-2023, 10:34 AM   #1930
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

He saw it was a trainer and pushed him from behind. Crazy. Suspension very likely.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:47 AM   #1931
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
for winning?

For being a sleeper agent for the Bears.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #1932
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks for last night Detroit-already sick of all the Tom Brady back in the playoffs talk, didn't need Rodgers too
Old 01-09-2023, 11:04 AM   #1933
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Dola: Nope, just saw it again. He sees it's a trainer and just doesn't like being pushed. Plus, another Packer player bodies up to the trainer when the trainer reacts. Classy move, Packers. Glad the Damar Hamlin incident didn't happen to a Packers player.

He got kicked out of another game this season for shoving a practice squad guy on the sidelines who wasn't in uniform.

First player with multiple ejections in a season since 2000.

Last edited by molson : 01-09-2023 at 11:31 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:24 AM   #1934
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Kingsbury and the GM out in Arizona. Rumored to be in the Sean Peyton scrum.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:40 AM   #1935
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Maybe should have kept that "must actually study video" contract clause in there.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:37 PM   #1936
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

yay for Black Monday! I was "ok" with the hire, hoping we'd catch lightning in a bottle with him, but pretty clear it wasn't working. The GM needed to go a long time ago.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:47 PM   #1937
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
yay for Black Monday! I was "ok" with the hire, hoping we'd catch lightning in a bottle with him, but pretty clear it wasn't working. The GM needed to go a long time ago.

Kingsbury did far better than I expected there.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:56 PM   #1938
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
He got kicked out of another game this season for shoving a practice squad guy on the sidelines who wasn't in uniform.

First player with multiple ejections in a season since 2000.

Rookie mistake.

He was a first-rounder and has played well enough, so obviously that trumps any effective means of holding him accountable. Hopefully he'll learn on his own.

Rodgers... I think his statement after the game was honest. He doesn't know right now. Training methods are better today - players stay in shape 12 months a year, quarterbacks take fewer serious hits. Maybe 40 is the new 36. He seems to appreciate that the team needs to know well before the draft. Though I think, regardless, they won't pick up Jordan Love's fifth year option as that comes due.

So, essentially five openings right now - 7-10, 5-12, 4-12-1, 4-13, 3-13-1. You wonder about Atlanta the most, maybe the Jets because they faded so dramatically. Las Vegas, New Orleans and Chicago had first-year coaches - usually they get a second year, though this is changing and in New Orleans' case, Allen has been there a long time. McVay might be on the hot seat, but the Super Bowl afterglow should last at least two years unless there's internal turmoil. Maybe it stops at five - the obvious ones already struck.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:00 PM   #1939
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'd think Arizona probably looks toward someone from FaZe Clan to fill their vacancy.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:06 PM   #1940
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd think Arizona probably looks toward someone from FaZe Clan to fill their vacancy.

Owner Bidwell (and I) are too old to know about them
Old 01-09-2023, 03:13 PM   #1941
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Owner Bidwell (and I) are too old to know about them

I sure the QB can hook it up ... just ask him about it while the CoD servers are down for maintenance or something
Old 01-09-2023, 03:24 PM   #1942
Edward64
Head Coach

Falcons drafting at #8. It was #6 2-3 weeks ago, guess we won some games
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 03:42 PM   #1943
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

What's the difference between Kingsbury being fired and Steve Keim deciding to "step down"? Do they just like the GM more?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-09-2023, 04:14 PM   #1944
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Damar is back in Buffalo!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #1945
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
What's the difference between Kingsbury being fired and Steve Keim deciding to "step down"? Do they just like the GM more?
Any chance it's tied to the possibility Keim was the one sexually harassing people in Mexico City?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 04:27 PM   #1946
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Any chance it's tied to the possibility Keim was the one sexually harassing people in Mexico City?

Man I hope not. I was thinking it was because he was an alcoholic or something similar.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:01 PM   #1947
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Man I hope not. I was thinking it was because he was an alcoholic or something similar.

I did see something that he might have been involved. I think the fired coach is suing. My initial read was that he was stepping away to get healthy and then once he was healthy, he would be back in the job. But, then I saw they were looking for GM candidates from outside the organization. My guess is it has something to do with money.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:23 PM   #1948
miami_fan
Coordinator

Other than the Sean McVay situation with the Rams, that should be it with coaches being fired right? I don't consider Payton going back to the Saints as a firing of Dennis Allen. Plus I don't think that will happen. I have seen rumors about Washington getting rid of Rivera but I don't think they will get an upgrade as long as Snyder still owns the team. That said, maybe there is another Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan or Matt LaFleur on the staff that he won't let get away.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:08 PM   #1949
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

So from my perspective, in looking at the cancellation scenarios, the Bengals got significantly shafted.

The Bills finished 13-3 and Bengals finished 12-4. If they both win in the Wild Card Round, the Bills get home field as the #2 seed. The problem is that if they had played their Week 17 game and the Bengals had won, both teams would be 13-4 and the Bengals would have the tiebreaker, the #2 seed and home-field in the Divisional Round.

The NFL previously implied that they essentially viewed the Bengals-Bills Week 17 game as a coin toss. This is premised on the "If Cincy loses to Baltimore" scenario, which involved a Week 18 Ravens win over the Bengals. In that scenario, the Bengals would have finished at 11-5 and the Ravens at 11-6 and home field advantage in the Wild Card Round would have been determined by a coin flip despite the Bengals having a better record - thus my statement of the NFL taking the position that Bills-Bengals was basically a 50/50 proposition.

So I really don't get why a potential Divisional Round game between the Bills and Bengals would also not be decided by a coin toss. It kind of feels like an oversight to me. Maybe they considered it, I don't know. But it really feels quite unfair that the Bengals were subject to the coin flip scenario in the event that they had lost to the Ravens but no coin flip scenario to determine home field against the Bills.

I can see why the team and their fans have been somewhat upset about the whole thing.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:29 AM   #1950
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I hate Skip Bayless, but the controversy over his tweet is incredibly ridiculous and is either the result of purposeful misreading of his clear intent or insanely poor reading comprehension.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote