Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #1901
molson
General Manager

It will be effective in modestly decreasing the amount of wins the Penn St. football program over the next few years. What that has to do with child molestation, I still don't understand, but I've said my piece on that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #1902
muns
Pro Starter

The Ncaa didnt even do their own investigation and are just going by what the freeh report says (which people dispute). They can't go max here because they circumvented their own system and jumped the gun. Due process went out the window. They should have taken their time and done this the right way instead of caving under public pressure to do something now.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #1903
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
What a joke - I've lost all respect for major college athletics at this point.

+1

Weak. Ass. "Sanctions"
Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #1904
Izulde
Head Coach

It appears I'm going to have to add this to the curriculum this semester.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #1905
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It will be effective in modestly decreasing the amount of wins the Penn St. football program over the next few years. What that has to do with child molestation, I still don't understand, but I've said my piece on that.

Who has ever argued that these sanctions have anything to do with child molestation?

This is about a university and its football program covering up crimes committed by a coach, some of which were in its own facilities, and allowing the criminal to use the prestige he gained from being associated with the university and its football program, to further his criminal activities and for the school to continue a successful program as "status quo" while many of the major players in the program and school knew there was a pattern of conduct and, in all likelihood, that specific and multiple crimes were being committed by the same coach.

The fact that this involves child molestation and not, say, embezzlement or drug trafficking makes the whole thing far more horrible, but the punishment is for the cover-up. No one is blaming the school for Sandusky's crimes; he owns those. But they deserve blame/punishment for allowing them to continue beyond the reasonable point at which they were discovered and should have been reported and action taken. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that. Now, whether this will deter another coach/program/school from covering up crimes of their own program-related people, I guess we'll see over time. But I don't think anyone is expecting a $60M fine on a university to deter child abuse.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #1906
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Should've included a four year TV ban as well.

They'll never do a TV ban just because it penalizes other schools and complicates the most lucrative deals in the sport.

I'm surprised many people are reacting by saying these are weak sanctions. I actually expected far less than this and am pleasantly surprised. I guess it's weak if you're comparing child molestation to paying players. But as a lack of institutional control case, and figuring they'll never give the death penalty again, I think this hits pretty hard.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-23-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #1907
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

I think this is where the Big Ten sanctions will come into play.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #1908
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
What's this "Ten initial and 20 total" per year?

15 recruits/65 total?

10 first year. 20 after that. 70 total. 20 less scholarships per year over three years is going to be hell work work around. I would think that's at best half of what USC is allowed to add right now. For some schools, that would range around 0-8 maybe 12 max per year.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #1909
Kodos
Resident Alien

How happy must the NCAA be to remove Paterno from atop the all time wins list?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #1910
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Yep.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #1911
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
They don't have to stay:

"Emmert also said that any Penn State athlete who wants to transfer to another school can do so and be eligible to play immediately."

OK, cool, I didn't hear that part. I was cleaning up poop during the press conference.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #1912
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I'm sure it was a priority they were happy to add.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #1913
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
+1

Weak. Ass. "Sanctions"

I was pretty much already there with all the crap that goes on in "amateur" athletics. This is just the icing on the cake. +2
Old 07-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #1914
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

I don't think so.

The logic will be you're punishing the fans of other teams by keeping Penn State off TV.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #1915
Ksyrup

So how many wins did Paterno lose and where does he end up?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #1916
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

If the goal was to drastically reduce the power of the football program at PSU, the "football culture," this will work well. Recruiting is going to be next to impossible for the next two years unless the kid in question has been drinking the PSU Kool-Aid since birth, and I strongly suspect some quality players are going to leave, too.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #1917
Ksyrup

Saw this on SB Nation:

Quote:
The NCAA says it's considering allowing schools to tack PSU transfers on top of their own current scholarship counts without any penalty, meaning other teams could essentially get players who don't count against the "salary cap," so to speak. Meaning even Alabama could take on Penn State players. If that happens, the Nittany Lions' roster could be completely picked apart to such a degree that competition could be pointless for the time being. And each player that leaves Penn State only increases the chances of more leaving.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #1918
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Think they said he was now at 277 on Headline News.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #1919
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

111 wins vacated to finish with 298.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #1920
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He's at 298, which is below Bryant, which I'm ok with.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #1921
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:

They might wish they were not on TV.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #1922
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Let's see how I did. NOTE: I believe the 4 year postseason ban means any player can transfer without penalty.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - (Poll) What WILL Penn State be Penalized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
On, the other hand, I think they'll get something similar to USC and their laughabl-- extremely tough penalties. USC got a 2 year postseason ban, a bunch of wins vacated, 10 scholarships for 3 seasons for paying Reggie Bush, OJ Mayo, etc.
It's a year or two years worse than what USC got, depending on the sanction you're looking at, and a $60M fine.

They're in an odd place with the lame "penalize wins" penalty. Honestly, it was the only part of Florida State's violations that really stuck as Bowden was forced behind JoePa for all time Div I wins. Now what do they do? It's justifiable either way: 1998 and before is all forfeited which makes JoePa a pariah in the record books and is just adding insult onto injury or you could leave it alone and say it's not a football violation so no football penalty. Either way it's kindof immaterial. Vacating wins rarely means anything.
I hedged here and said they could go either way. Points for it going back to 1998. We'll count that one as correct.

I think there's a 2 or 3 year postseason and tv ban. It'll cost money and recruiting visibility but it's about the size of a grain of sand of significance to the beach of problems they've already created here. There will also be some token scholarship penalty during the same period: say, 10 per year for 3 years.
4 year postseason ban. They went tougher than I thought but I didn't know that a 4 year postseason ban meant anyone could transfer. If I had known that rule, I would have gone four. So, we'll count this as a partial miss.
Also I said 10 scholarships per year for 3 years- number was right, but, again, they went 4 years.

The one thing I'm really not sure about is the player transfer thing: they may let everyone leave as a "starting over, wash the program fresh" thing. But then it creates a reminder for everyone else out there. On some Saturday afternoon on ABC: "It's a great play by so-and-so linebacker at Pitt. He was at Penn State until ... um... yeah, so it's second and 10."
Hedged here but said it was likely on the table. Looks like they decided to go ahead and do it. Partial credit again.

If they go the route of lame penalties like this, you'll see a longer probation length, probably 5 years.
Five year probation: dead on!

Then this is where it gets fuzzy. They're going to create some sort of "one off" penalties just for Penn State so they can point to it and say "See, this is worse than anything we've ever done" or "it's equivalent to the death penalty", as we've been arguing about in the other thread. Ultimately, it will be something lame and less than the death penalty- otherwise, they'd just give the death penalty.
They didn't even do anything creative unless you count the fine (see below). Definitely not worse than death penalty, but that was all but guaranteed from the start.

I think there will be some strong coercion to have the university make a good faith bunch of programs about child abuse and donate a ton of money but it's won't officially be forced. That said, it will happen because if it doesn't, then there would have been stronger penalties. All of this is what is being negotiated today and has been for the last week, I suspect.
Big money to child abuse fund: yup. But totally forced to give $60M, not just a strong suggestion. That seems like the headline grabber until you see "which is what the football program makes in a year". All that means is that their non-revenue generating sports (read: not football) will suffer greatly. Hope you didn't want to see that Penn State women's track team this year.

And, as long as none of this is really serious, the Big Ten isn't serious about kicking out Penn State. They'll hope they leave willingly, which they won't. And, if they can get a program that's an upgrade like Notre Dame or maybe even a lateral step like Virginia, they might do it. But it gets really complicated at that point and unlikely to happen.

SI

So, I'm going to grade myself as pretty close on almost all of these. Off to go find a Colbert "I called it" gif and call it a day.

EDIT:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-23-2012 at 09:28 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1923
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Congrats to Bowden! After cheating and getting knocked off the list, the guy who passed you harbored a child molester for years on his staff and has to vacate his wins. Way to back into #1!

SI

Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1924
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
If the goal was to drastically reduce the power of the football program at PSU, the "football culture," this will work well. Recruiting is going to be next to impossible for the next two years unless the kid in question has been drinking the PSU Kool-Aid since birth, and I strongly suspect some quality players are going to leave, too.

i agree with this and am kind of stunned that so many people here wanted the program shut down...it is financially and reputationally a death penalty but with LESS penalty to the kids that are there now...they still have a team...they can leave if they want to but can also stay if they want to..the program suffers, but the kids are not totally doomed...are they penalized, yes, but they are not doomed
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #1925
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if this means PSU vacates the two split Big Ten titles after 1998. They split both with OSU.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #1926
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Congrats to Bowden! After cheating and getting knocked off the list, the guy who passed you harbored a child molester for years on his staff and has to vacate his wins. Way to back into #1!

SI
Go find your gif!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #1927
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i agree with this and am kind of stunned that so many people here wanted the program shut down...it is financially and reputationally a death penalty but with LESS penalty to the kids that are there now...they still have a team...they can leave if they want to but can also stay if they want to..the program suffers, but the kids are not totally doomed...are they penalized, yes, but they are not doomed

The only ones penalized are the ones that no other program wants.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #1928
spleen1015
Coordinator

Mike McQueary was the starting QB for JoePa's last official win.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #1929
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Mike McQueary was the starting QB for JoePa's last official win.

Seems fitting somehow.

Big Ten is suppose to hand out their sanctions at 11AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #1930
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Bottom line. In just over a month, 100,000 idiots get to convene in their stadium and watch their precious Penn State football and chant "WE ARE PENN STATE!" like they're fucking oppressed.

It will make the program crummy for a good while. But it will do nothing to starve the cult of its life force. Sorry, NCAA, too light I think.

Last edited by LloydLungs : 07-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #1931
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Bottom line. In just over a month, 100,000 idiots get to convene in their stadium and watch their precious Penn State football and chant "WE ARE PENN STATE!" like they're fucking oppressed.

It will make the program crummy for a good while. But it will do nothing to starve the cult of its life force. Sorry, NCAA, too light I think.

+1
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #1932
saldana
Pro Starter

big 10 is announcing penalties at 11 EDT
Old 07-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #1933
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Part of the penalty is Penn State has to honor those scholarships. But, I suspect there will be massive transfers.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #1934
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Part of the penalty is Penn State has to honor those scholarships. But, I suspect there will be massive transfers.

Right. But they will still be stuck on a sinking ship.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #1935
Kodos
Resident Alien

I bet teams will be falling all over themselves to get those Penn State QBs!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #1936
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #1937
bronconick
College Starter

Hell, Bolden's tried to transfer like threeve times already. Surprised he hasn't already announced that he's gone.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #1938
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Christian Hackenberg is a PSU commit and the 7th ranked QB in the nation according to Rivals.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #1939
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I certainly hope they are planning to surcharge the tickets by a considerable amount(20-30$ each) in order to pay this massive(and justified) fine.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #1940
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'd be checking the want ads as a coach as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #1941
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Well, we're basically talking about tackling dummies there. At least now they get to stay at PSU, get a free education, and likely get way more playing time than they would have otherwise.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #1942
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This is from ESPN.

Worse than the death penalty my ass. The 60 million will only hurt students or PA taxpayers and the rest of the penalties are only slightly more harsh than those for selling pins and getting free tattoos.

considering that they have already (since the sandusky conviction i think) gotten over 200 million dollars in donations from their alumni, i am not really worried about my taxes
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #1943
Ben E Lou

Hmmm...am I reading this right that they get to pay the fine over a 5-year period?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #1944
saldana
Pro Starter

dola, they just announced the 60 mil is actually 12 mil a year for 5 years, so the impact on the other sports will be significantly less.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #1945
Kodos
Resident Alien

It would probably blow Penn State fans minds if you had told them a year ago where their program would be today.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #1946
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Hmmm...am I reading this right that they get to pay the fine over a 5-year period?

That's probably for the best. The number is more symbolic than anything. If you take away all football program revenue in a year, none of their other programs will be able to support themselves.

SI

Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #1947
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

So these scholarship reductions with a bowl ban essentially make them a FCS school right?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #1948
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Who has ever argued that these sanctions have anything to do with child molestation?

This is about a university and its football program covering up crimes committed by a coach, some of which were in its own facilities, and allowing the criminal to use the prestige he gained from being associated with the university and its football program, to further his criminal activities and for the school to continue a successful program as "status quo" while many of the major players in the program and school knew there was a pattern of conduct and, in all likelihood, that specific and multiple crimes were being committed by the same coach.

The fact that this involves child molestation and not, say, embezzlement or drug trafficking makes the whole thing far more horrible, but the punishment is for the cover-up. No one is blaming the school for Sandusky's crimes; he owns those. But they deserve blame/punishment for allowing them to continue beyond the reasonable point at which they were discovered and should have been reported and action taken. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that. Now, whether this will deter another coach/program/school from covering up crimes of their own program-related people, I guess we'll see over time. But I don't think anyone is expecting a $60M fine on a university to deter child abuse.

Scholarship penalties exist to address unfair competitive advantages brought about through using ineligible players other other competitive cheating. They make no sense in this context.

And again, we're just punishing the remnants of a program trying to rebuild, not the individuals that did anything wrong. Ya, that's what the NCAA does when it comes to recruiting violations generally, but I disagree with that too in most instances. John Calipari should be punished, he shouldn't be allowed to cheat and then start clean at Kentucky like nothing happened. Sanctions should follow him. But even in that instance, Memphis got athletic success through cheating, so I guess you can make the argument that they should lose some of that athletic success, even if the current team and staff (except for whoever hired Calipari, who should also be individually punished), didn't do anything wrong.

And I personally don't buy that we have to punish the idea that "football is too important" aside from the individuals involved. The NCAA and the member schools exist to make sure "football is too important" and they're not going to be penalizing or regulating with the aim of taking down the importance of college football on campuses any time soon, except as a show if the media and public demands it in extraordinary situations. Football is as important or more important in the SEC than even at Penn St. and that's not changing anytime soon, in fact, the NCAA protects the SEC from continuing that status quo. So for them to go up here and say, "our priority is education" is pretty laughable. NCAA is part of the cartel that makes football "too important" everywhere.

This didn't even succeed is satisfying anger lust, which is I think is the main focus some people had. But talking about all this in terms of bowl games and scholarships lost and LOL, vacated wins, is distasteful to me and misses the point entirely. It validates Penn St in a way, because the NCAA has confirmed how important football is, that they believe losing a couple of 8 win season v. and instead having a couple 5 win seasons is this amazing penalty that address at all what happened.

Last edited by molson : 07-23-2012 at 09:48 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #1949
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
So these scholarship reductions with a bowl ban essentially make them a FCS school right?
I think they have a few more schollies and a bigger name. In terms of ability to compete, could be.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #1950
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

So this this make Pitt football a monster now? (No joke intended here either, can't think of any other powerhouse Penn schools)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote