Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #19201
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Yeah, it is very annoying when people do this, but you shouldn't block the emergency/breakdown lane. What if somebody is rushing somebody to the hospital or some similar situation where they can't sit in traffic for 20 minutes?

In ANY situation where you need to take someone to a hospital in such a manner that they are in danger for their lives it is always faster to call an ambulance. Don't be that family member that tries to do it on your own. Its stupid and its dangerous.

They get clear driving space, you never will. No matter what the traffic conditions.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #19202
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #19203
Critch
lolzcat

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #19204
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #19205
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

(yeah, I know I'm a bad person for laughing at this...)
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #19206
Desnudo
Coordinator

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #19207
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Old 04-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #19208
21C
College Prospect

This will not end well.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #19209
21C
College Prospect

Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #19210
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #19211
molson
General Manager

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #19212
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #19213
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

angels unicorn.jpg
Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #19214
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

I laughed out loud
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #19215
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

I'll just say, Who carrys stuff like that, just to wash a car?
Still funny though.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #19216
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
In ANY situation where you need to take someone to a hospital in such a manner that they are in danger for their lives it is always faster to call an ambulance. Don't be that family member that tries to do it on your own. Its stupid and its dangerous.

They get clear driving space, you never will. No matter what the traffic conditions.

Totally wrong. I'm 25 minutes from the nearest ambulance dock station and 35 from the hospital...if I wait on the ambulance it's an hour at minimum.

If I drive straight there I get treatment 10 minutes faster. Please don't throw out generalities like that.

I also hate the lane blockers. I'm a volunteer fireman and met, and I can't tell you how many times I've been responding to a call and since I'm in my personal vehicle often with no lights, some jack ass blocks half the lane because they are scared someone is getting ahead of them.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #19217
Buccaneer
Head Coach

In personal vehicle with no lights and you expect everyone to submit to you violating the rules of the road?? If you are so entitled, then get a lawfully equipped vehicle with emergency lights.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #19218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That actually does raise a question on something that I suspect might vary from state to state. Here in Georgia, my dad (volunteer fire for, good grief, 20+ years) had a permit for a red dashboard light for a long time. I remember there was an application process, had to be signed off on by (IIRC) the local sheriff, approved by the state dept of public safety, yadda yadda yadda.

Do they do those in SC?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #19219
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
In personal vehicle with no lights and you expect everyone to submit to you violating the rules of the road?? If you are so entitled, then get a lawfully equipped vehicle with emergency lights.

How is it a random person's job to enforce the rules of the road? Pretty sure "driving to the emergency room" qualifies as urgent and unplanned action.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #19220
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
How is it a random person's job to enforce the rules of the road? Pretty sure "driving to the emergency room" qualifies as urgent and unplanned action.

When the National Highway Transportation Safety has published rules and many states have laws protecting and encouraging the reporting of aggressive drivers.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #19221
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When the National Highway Transportation Safety has published rules and many states have laws protecting and encouraging the reporting of aggressive drivers.

So report a person driving in the breakdown lane. Blocking the lane to stop a jerk from getting ahead of you results in you also entering the breakdown lane. The solution to somebody breaking traffic rules is not more people breaking traffic rules.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #19222
Danny
Head Coach

I actually both driving in the line and blocking the lane are dick moves and leads to nothing positive (other than your own selfish pleasures I guess
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #19223
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I actually both driving in the line and blocking the lane are dick moves and leads to nothing positive (other than your own selfish pleasures I guess

English please.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #19224
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I actually (think) both driving in the (breakdown) l(a)ne and blocking the lane are dick moves.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #19225
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think blocking some asshole who thinks the rules don't apply to him is perfectly acceptable.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #19226
Dutch
"Dutch"

My wife and I rented a car in Florida...drove it to South Carolina and then were beginning our long trek across America back to Los Angeles (where we used to live). Just for fun...anyway...

In Alabama, on I-20, we unfortunately hit Talladega at the same time one of it's big races had concluded and we found ourselves in stopped traffic. The car started overheating. I needed to get to a gas station quick, so I jumped in the emergency lane and drove that shoulder for about a mile to the next exit. People in the backs of pickup trucks were cursing us and we even had a couple of empty beer cans thrown at us. I find that sort of vigilantism better now, because I'm glad nobody blocked us.

Last edited by Dutch : 04-28-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #19227
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think blocking some asshole who thinks the rules don't apply to him is perfectly acceptable.

this
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #19228
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Sorry for your perceived inconvenience, but in fact I am not violating any rules of the road, and I can and have taken tag numbers of people who block an unmarked emergency response vehicle and they can be ticketed for obstructing or even reckless endangerment if the Leo is in a particularly fould mood ( or the drivers attitude dictates)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That actually does raise a question on something that I suspect might vary from state to state. Here in Georgia, my dad (volunteer fire for, good grief, 20+ years) had a permit for a red dashboard light for a long time. I remember there was an application process, had to be signed off on by (IIRC) the local sheriff, approved by the state dept of public safety, yadda yadda yadda.

Do they do those in SC?
In SC you can run red or red and white provided you are a VfF, rescue squad, or other. You are NOT in fact required to run the lights. While I have a light kit on one of my trucks, there are often times when I am not in that vehicle. For example when I owned my elec business there were numerous times I'd be in a work truck coming from or to a job site and have a page come across. Or he'll just Tuesday night we were on the way home from a little league game in the wifes e350 when we got a call, I was first on seen and actually started blood loss mitigation. Sorry but I can't imagine cutting the dahs out of a car I ride in twice d a month.

But I guess Lathum and bucc would have preferred I let the 10 year old bleed out instead of breaking their self appointed "rules of the road"
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #19229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Sorry but I can't imagine cutting the dahs out of a car I ride in twice d a month.

Therein lies the diff in the light I was thinking of/remembering. It wasn't permanently mounted, just plugged into the cigarette lighter & basically lived on the passenger floorboard side of the car until needed (you know, in the floor but shoved up toward the engine compartment as much out of the way as possible).

Hadn't really thought about that light in ages, which is probably why this made me curious enough about them in "modern times" to ask.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #19230
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, for those of us familiar with this and living in large cities, we've all seen this happen dozens if not hundreds of times, right? We're not talking about somewhere that's not a population center but a metro area of 1M plus.

Of the times we've seen this behavior, how many times does each person think it's for a "legit" reason from unmarked emergency vehicle (as people would move out of the way for a marked emergency vehicle) to pregnant woman going to hospital to something like "car overheating" (where there are other courses of action other than drive on shoulder but we'll assume the best of people)? Just give me a ballpark percentage. I'm going with sub 1%.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #19231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm going with sub 1%.

I wouldn't doubt that you're right.

But the whole pull-into-the-lane-to-block thing just stumps me, tbh.

I mean, I would think I'd be considered one of the grumpiest old bastards at FOFC but it's never crossed my mind to risk a life for that 1 in 200 case of "real" just to annoy the other 199 assholes.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #19232
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If someone is in an emergency situation they would gesture accordingly.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #19233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If someone is in an emergency situation they would gesture accordingly.

Sorry Lathum, in the right situation, I'd do more than gesture.

I consider you lucky that someone hasn't fired a couple of rounds in your direction (feel free to consider that the royal "you" for anybody doing this). And what you're doing is exponentially worse than what those assholes - who are absolutely incredibly annoying without a doubt - are doing.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #19234
cuervo72
Head Coach

Because humans hate to think of someone getting away with something that we're not. We know full well that those people aren't getting pulled over, and taking down their tag info wouldn't do anything (assuming you could even get it in the split-second a car rides by you). And the assholes that do it know they won't get caught and there's nothing anyone can do about it. That's why we get pissed off enough to want to block the lane. You decide to follow the rules, and you lose. Same thing goes for people speeding (faster than you are speeding) or weaving across lanes.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #19235
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
You decide to follow the rules, and you lose.

Not a bad description of a huge portion of life.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #19236
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

By gesture I mean honking horn, flashing lights, waving hands, etc. in my experience people just slow down and deal with it. The odds of encountering an actual emergency are extremely low. And I used to live in one of the worst traffic cities.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #19237
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not a bad description of a huge portion of life.

Heh. Truth.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #19238
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Sorry for your perceived inconvenience, but in fact I am not violating any rules of the road, and I can and have taken tag numbers of people who block an unmarked emergency response vehicle and they can be ticketed for obstructing or even reckless endangerment if the Leo is in a particularly fould mood ( or the drivers attitude dictates)

By what indication should we believe that you are an emergency vehicle instead of a typical reckless driver? While I won't block you (I don't do stuff like that), I or anyone could and should report you and keep reporting you until you learn provide visual evidence that you are an emergency vehicle. Your inconvenience does not excuse the inability to plug in one spinning light into the charger or provide a siren (or even side markings). Most states require one or both. California, for example, the minimum would be a steady red light. Otherwise, we are not obligated to move over, yield or stop.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #19239
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Your inconvenience does not excuse the inability to plug in one spinning light into the charger or provide a siren (or even side markings).

People shouldn't be in the lane unless it's emergency so he shouldn't have to show other wise. Do most people really care what others are getting away with that much. I actually feel sorry for people that are over there that aren't in an emergency.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #19240
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
By what indication should we believe that you are an emergency vehicle instead of a typical reckless driver? While I won't block you (I don't do stuff like that), I or anyone could and should report you and keep reporting you until you learn provide visual evidence that you are an emergency vehicle. Your inconvenience does not excuse the inability to plug in one spinning light into the charger or provide a siren (or even side markings). Most states require one or both. California, for example, the minimum would be a steady red light. Otherwise, we are not obligated to move over, yield or stop.

Report away. When (if) they follow up, he provides material indicating he was legitimately in the shoulder. Case closed.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #19241
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

20120825 photo365 236
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #19242
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

In SC you can run red or red and white provided you are a VfF, rescue squad, or other. You are NOT in fact required to run the lights. While I have a light kit on one of my trucks, there are often times when I am not in that vehicle. For example when I owned my elec business there were numerous times I'd be in a work truck coming from or to a job site and have a page come across. Or he'll just Tuesday night we were on the way home from a little league game in the wifes e350 when we got a call, I was first on seen and actually started blood loss mitigation. Sorry but I can't imagine cutting the dahs out of a car I ride in twice d a month.

But I guess Lathum and bucc would have preferred I let the 10 year old bleed out instead of breaking their self appointed "rules of the road"

No what they and I would prefer is that you do the job you "volunteer" to do, yet expect everyone to provide you courtesy for, by maintaining the proper equipment so that you can be recognized while driving to the scene.

Get a fucking battery powered light and keep the thing with you, when you get a call USE the light so that you might better respond to the emergency in a timely manner since people SEEING the light will actually get out of your way. As a far more important LAW of the road stipulates.

Don't be a whiny bitch and complain about people who can't possibly know who the fuck or what the fuck you are. When you in fact don't have enough interest in DOING the job to properly outfit your vehicle in a way that makes yourself known.

Last edited by RendeR : 04-28-2013 at 04:31 PM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #19243
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

100% agree - that's what I don't get. How does CU Tiger think that others are supposed to realize that he's responding to an emergency rather than just driving recklessly if he doesn't provide some visual signal??
Old 04-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #19244
chadritt
High School Varsity

We could assume that someone in the emergency lane, hopefully using their emergency/hazard blinkers, is probably in the middle of an emergency.

Last edited by chadritt : 04-28-2013 at 05:32 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #19245
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think that's a better way of putting it. We would want all emergency vehicles to get there as safely as possible - that means drivers would have to pull over, move over, yield, stop, slow down, whatever, to allow better passage. But if you are not identified as an emergency vehicle (no lights, no sirens, no markings, etc.), then no one should expect to give you the right away and some would treat you as a nascar nut by preventing you from doing the above.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #19246
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's the info for South Carolina:

http://www.iafc.org/files/downloads/...thCarolina.pdf

Quote:
(C) The exemptions in this section granted to an authorized emergency vehicle apply only when the vehicle is making use of an audible signal meeting the requirements of Section 56-5-4970 and visual signals meeting the requirements of Section 56-5-4700 of this chapter, except that an authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle need not use an audible signal nor display a visual signal when the vehicle is being used to:

(1) obtain evidence of a speeding violation;
(2) respond to a suspected crime in progress when use of an audible or visual signal, or both, could reasonably result in the destruction of evidence or escape of a suspect; or
(3) surveil another vehicle or its occupants who are suspected of involvement in a crime.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #19247
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and to think, you all thought this thread sucked before
Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #19248
britrock88
Pro Starter

Geez, I wondered why I was reading all this stuff about firefighters and driving on the shoulder. Had long since forgotten that the discussion originated from a GIF.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #19249
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think that's a better way of putting it. We would want all emergency vehicles to get there as safely as possible - that means drivers would have to pull over, move over, yield, stop, slow down, whatever, to allow better passage. But if you are not identified as an emergency vehicle (no lights, no sirens, no markings, etc.), then no one should expect to give you the right away and some would treat you as a nascar nut by preventing you from doing the above.

Exactly. I've got zero problem with pulling over, stopping, etc. when there's identification that it's an emergency vehicle.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #19250
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As the son of a volunteer f.f. for years, the uncle & brother-in-law to a current pair, the friend of more first responders & volunteers than I even want to try to count, I'll just mention that the number of cases involving them in the broad topic here is probably an awfully small percentage.

Regardless, the ol' block-the-lane move is still just as improper as what it's presuming to prevent. I figure I'm pretty capable of being a petty person but that's one that just makes me think "damn".