Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #19051
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Did anyone else watch cartman's image from start to finish?

Absolutely, that was great.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #19052
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Faster version.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #19053
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post

Faster version.

One of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #19054
Desnudo
Coordinator

Truly cromulent
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #19055
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, that is amazing
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #19056
cuervo72
Head Coach

Best SNAFU player evar.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #19057
JeeberD
General Manager

I seem to remember the "snake" getting faster the longer it got. Once it got going as fast as the sped up gif, it got difficult to make the intricate moves this dude is making...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #19058
britrock88
Pro Starter

Right.

...The sped-up version is still 3 minutes long, BTW.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #19059
Danny
Head Coach

the guy was so good the sped up version is actually the real version, the first one they slowed down for people to waste extra time watching
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #19060
RendeR
Coordinator

Are we sure this was a live player? This was done a few times by a computer to test decision making by an AI.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #19061
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Best SNAFU player evar.

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking SNAFU.

The music from that game gets stuck in my head even to this day.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #19062
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
The music from that game gets stuck in my head even to this day.

Likewise.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #19063
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #19064
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #19065
Dutch
"Dutch"

no kidding.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #19066
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

BEN EDIT: Enough whining about the moderating from you. I think you need a month off to consider whether you want to come back and play nicely.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-13-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #19067
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

One day, there will just be a bunch of moderators here wondering where everybody is. Oh, and Schmidty saying "Why the fuck can't I get boxed?"
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #19068
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ben, you seriously need a new hobby at this point. This is getting pretty ridiculous. If you don't like the post, remove it and be done with it. Don't alter people's posts with a snide comment when they have no opportunity to respond. You're an adult. Act like it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #19069
Dutch
"Dutch"

SMDH ya'll.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #19070
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

fuck this place.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #19071
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Ben, you seriously need a new hobby at this point. This is getting pretty ridiculous. If you don't like the post, remove it and be done with it. Don't alter people's posts with a snide comment when they have no opportunity to respond. You're an adult. Act like it.

Disagree. One of the recent debates started because that was exactly what they were doing. We don't need the offender to respond because they violated the rules but a moderator explaining the action gives the community not only a reason why/where it happened (and penalty thereof) but serves as a warning as well.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-13-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #19072
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Disagree. One of the recent debates started because that was exactly what they were doing. We don't need the offender to respond because they violated the rules but a moderator explaining the action gives the community not only a reason why/where it happened (and penalty thereof) but serves as a warning as well.

There's a messaging service on this board. Remove the post, and send a message to him that he's got some time off. It's really as simple as that. Trust me, I've moderated multiple boards. What he did is absolutely the worst way to handle it. It only causes further problems.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #19073
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

One of the biggest complaint people have in all this was there is rarely a reason given when someone is boxed. Ben boxed Todd and gave a reason in the post, seems like he was trying to placate the people who have had complaints by giving his reason.

You can choose to disagree with the reasoning, which I do, why does Ben care so much if people complain, but at least he gave a reason.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #19074
MrBug708
Head Coach

Isn't it a personal problem that Ben is having? Not really a board issue at all?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #19075
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Isn't it a personal problem that Ben is having? Not really a board issue at all?

Moderating issues come and go. It's somewhat like being an umpire. With that said, editing a post is usually a huge no-no in moderating. It gives the implication that you are above everyone else and what he said was important enough to ban him but yet you still have the time to kick him while he's down.

If you're going to edit on the above post, just put "1 month ban for repeated personal complaints/attacks". By responding the way he did, it makes it feel more personal than just business.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #19076
BYU 14
Coordinator

Damn I blink and miss stuff, what now?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #19077
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Dude made at least three posts after I said I'm done with hearing complaints....complaining. I have a bit more leniency for heat of the moment stuff, so I let some stuff slide, but today he came back after everything had pretty much died down to stir stuff up yet again. Easy call there.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #19078
cmp
Pro Rookie

Seriously what is going on with this place. I've been coming here every day for twelve years and now I'm afraid it'll cease to exist in the near future.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #19079
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Ben's running it like it's thriving and needs to be kept on track. I disagree. But it's not my call, so whatever.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #19080
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Maybe people were getting in trouble at work when their bosses saw that people were complaining on the message board they were on?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #19081
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

It's a personal problem in that some posters just hate Ben. Ben happens to have a strong personality, and it just doesn't mesh with everybody. At this point, I don't think it matters HOW he moderates - if he takes care of things behind the scenes, or if he states reasons - no course of action is going to suffice. Chubby for instance. It's become pretty clear that he just despises Ben, and has for some time. Didn't like how he played FOF, didn't like how he was exposing some strategies, etc. Pretty sure he's wanted him out at IHOF for a while as well. This thread was just another easy opportunity to jump on him (even if Ben wasn't the only one removing images). I doubt he really cares about CrimsonFox, or images, or whatever. He just wants Ben out.

And what OF it thriving? Why does this place need to thrive? Play by the rules and enjoy what's here, or don't. It's not like we get bitcoins for FOFC's prosperity. It's not like we have to cultivate membership. We're not in some competition with other game forums. If folks are still here that you like to interact with, do that. If there's not, go where there will be.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #19082
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That all makes sense Cuervo, but I think there is also a perception there are people Ben doesn't like and he abuses his mod powers because of it.

You can agree or disagree, but there is a different set of standards for certain people.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #19083
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It doesn't need to thrive to be an enjoyable place to visit. That wasn't my point. It needs to thrive for Ben's moderation style to have a positive impact rather than a negative one. Since it's not thriving(which is fine), the moderation style does more harm than good.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #19084
cmp
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
That all makes sense Cuervo, but I think there is also a perception there are people Ben doesn't like and he abuses his mod powers because of it.

You can agree or disagree, but there is a different set of standards for certain people.

Yeah, this seems the most likely. There seems to be a mutual dislike and it shows.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #19085
molson
General Manager

Quote:

And what OF it thriving? Why does this place need to thrive? Play by the rules and enjoy what's here, or don't. It's not like we get bitcoins for FOFC's prosperity. It's not like we have to cultivate membership. We're not in some competition with other game forums. If folks are still here that you like to interact with, do that. If there's not, go where there will be.

The posters can do what they want and so can the mods. They just have different kinds of tools to implement what they want to do.

But as long as there's some kind of posting activity, people will post their opinions here about all kinds of stuff, board and non-board related. I have no personal dislike of anyone here, but ya, after hanging around here 13 years I think its too bad that post volume has gone off a cliff, that the discussions are less vibrant and contain fewer diverse viewpoints, that people are being boxed because of personality conflicts, that some mods have chosen to have this hostile relationship with some posters, but then other mods play pranks with certain posters to edit username settings to troll the board. I also wonder what the state of this place will be by the time Jim comes out with a new game and how all that will mesh.

But ya, after all that, of course, it's still just take it or leave it. It's too bad, because I don't have 13 years of posting anywhere else, but still, I have no stake, I get it. Nobody has a stake. We all get that (as did the many that have left). Posters can leave, mods can ban posters or shut down the site, we all get it. I don't get what that has to do with anything. People might have an opinion about an MLB's player's suspension, but its not like anybody can do anything about it, and obviously nobody has to even watch baseball if they don't want to. They can still not be a fan of a suspension length.

Last edited by molson : 04-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #19086
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
BEN EDIT: Enough whining about the moderating from you. I think you need a month off to consider whether you want to come back and play nicely.

And yet no mention of the actual LEGITMATE issue Todd set out. Funny, that.

There's a pic RECENTLY posted in the child molesters thread that's still there and no boxing/bannings occurred. Someone on here was boxed for posting a pic of a FULLY CLOTHED female. Ben posted on the molesters thread, so you know he saw the pic.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 04-13-2013 at 02:30 PM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #19087
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think that's easy to say if you belong to a ton of message boards, interact with the same folks outside the board, and assume everybody else does as well. For some folks (myself included) this is one of the very few forums they frequent (or at least have a presence on), and this is one of the only places they interact with certain people that they've come to know over years and years, and just tossing it in the trash and walking away isn't something they would do casually. You might argue that the bonds can't be that strong if they rely on the place where they take place, more than the people themselves, but I don't think the issue is that simple that it can be so simply dismissed, nor is it really a call that someone should be making for someone else.

Frankly, if this truly is FOFC's last gasp, I'd ask why it should be at the mod's terms, rather than the users? If it's the mods party, and they're just going to knowingly and actively keep tightening up the reigns to hasten its death, it's guaranteed to be a contentious, ugly, bickering demise, as long-time users are banned, and others complain about THOSE people being banned until they are banned, rinse and repeat until finish. Conversely, If the mods and the super-secret-user-commity are already resigned to FOFC being beyond saving, then why are they now starting to police it with even greater fervor? Let it go to the dogs, and the end result would be the same, but at least they'll have fun doing it, and it wouldn't involve dramatic personal conflict on a public stage, on a daily basis. The continued implication that this place is in it's death throes and less interesting than ever is I guess a fair, if unflattering point, but that doesn't make any sort of logical case for why the rules are now being enforced more strictly. If anything it just makes it more confusing.

Lastly, at this point, I don't think anybody is arguing that FOFC needs prosperity or cultivating membership, so much as not having the long-time, quality people who are here actively driven away. That seems like a pretty critical and simple distinction to make, and it also shouldn't be painted as 'business as usual' on the internet. The mods here are especially cranky. But the users here are also especially cranky. Neither side is really acting properly, but each side continuing to assert that the other one is the only one acting in the wrong surely isn't helping this come any closer to a conclusion.

And just for the record, I couldn't care less about booby pictures, and have absolutely no issue with the moderators, either individually or collectively. I'd just like to see this place stop combusting.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-13-2013 at 02:41 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #19088
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Yeah, this seems the most likely. There seems to be a mutual dislike and it shows.

Or you can like Ben and just disagree with the overall modding here. I think Ben's an awesome guy and generally done a great job with FOFC. I love the guy and his patriotic undies. If I had to pick someone to turn it over to again, I'd again pick Ben. No hesitation whatsoever.

But...

...I get the feeling that he's where I was a few years ago - frustrated with the board and everything that goes along with it - and maybe it's time for him to let go for a while. It's hard to let something go that you've invested so much time and effort into. Lord, do I know. But sometimes you have to set something free for the betterment of both sides and I believe that may be the case in this instance. Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Last edited by Blackadar : 04-13-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #19089
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Oh, I won't disagree with that. I think there a number of posters that register with Ben that he respects, either because they made a mark on him very early in the history of the forum or because of what they contributed to the FOF community.

Most of the board, honestly, might as well be faceless. I don't think he has it out for you, because he just doesn't know who the hell you are. Which is fine, there are how many hundred people here? If you haven't made some sort of mark, you're Member 847. And if it comes to his attention that you've broken a rule, there's no bias - he just knows you broke a rule, and you may be dealt with because of that. If it happens that you followed on the heels of a few other people getting boxed, it may be that the sentence is a little harsher, because, well, you either didn't learn from the prior incidents or chose to make a point of ignoring them to act out anyway.

Then there are a few known troublemakers. Good luck to you if you work your way onto this list.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #19090
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post

When someone is boxed for bringing up a topic, that pretty much guarantees that there will be a bunch more posts on that topic. That's obvious. If Toddzilla is just ignored nobody is posting in this thread now. So what's the purpose of the boxing? It's the weird mutual dislike (maybe not of Toddzilla personally, but of the FOFC off-topic posters generally outside of the core respected posters.)

Last edited by molson : 04-13-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #19091
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
When someone is boxed for bringing up a topic, that pretty much guarantees that there will be a bunch more posts on that topic. That's obvious. If Toddzilla is just ignored nobody is posting in this thread now. So what's the purpose of the boxing? It's the weird mutual dislike.

Did you get a chance to read what Todd wrote before Ben deleted it with a snarky comment?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #19092
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Did you get a chance to read what Todd wrote before Ben deleted it with a snarky comment?

No, I didn't, I assumed from context that it was some kind of complaining about photos or modding.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #19093
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

There's a pic RECENTLY posted in the child molesters thread that's still there and no boxing/bannings occurred. Someone on here was boxed for posting a pic of a FULLY CLOTHED female. Ben posted on the molesters thread, so you know he saw the pic.

Ben has already given his reasoning why this thread has pics pulled versus others. If it is merely for the hot chick factor, it is gone. Is it consistent within this thread? Well, no. But at least people shouldn't be surprised when something is pulled.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #19094
britrock88
Pro Starter

Trying to put things back on track...

Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #19095
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Where is the pic? I'm not seeing it on the last page. And was the pic reported? (wait...do you mean the one from October? - edit: which I just httpx'd out)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #19096
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Ben has already given his reasoning why this thread has pics pulled versus others. If it is merely for the hot chick factor, it is gone. Is it consistent within this thread? Well, no. But at least people shouldn't be surprised when something is pulled.

Ya, I think what he's made clear is that if you're doing it as some kind of statement, you're getting boxed. (unless you're Subby). If you go just a little over the line and a judgment call is made, the photo is deleted but you probably won't get boxed.

Which is pretty much the definition of a personal conflict issue. The photos themselves aren't the big no-no, the intent in posting them and/or your previous relationship with the mods is. The boxings are personal in that way, they're not aimed at keeping anyone safe at work, or making the board better. It's just mutual dislike and personality conflicts. Which is what makes the board feel like a sad, doomed place.

Last edited by molson : 04-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #19097
Ben E Lou

Eh, there are very few people I just fundamentally dislike, and none of them (to my knowledge) post at FOFC. As is the case with the names of my players in my MP leagues, I don't pay terribly close attention to screen names at forums until the person either does something that impresses me or strikes me as being a particular jerk. There are six people in the box put there by me. Three of them (CrimsonFox, gkb, and Toddzilla,) were completely blank slates to me prior to their suspensions. (To be perfectly honest, gkb still is. All I put under the suspension reason is "inappropriate image." I have no idea what image he posted and don't recall any other interaction with him.) I had neither a positive nor negative impression of any of those three prior to their boxings, and if I weren't typing their names now, would probably forget that they'd ever been boxed if they behaved for the next few months. A fourth, sidthelid, is a long-time troll in the FOF2K7 forum. My mistake there was not giving him a long-term suspension before I finally did. I gave him way too many chances, even allowing him to re-invent himself in the eyes of the community with a new user name and a promise to be good. My fault there for thinking he'd change. I know the fifth, MacroGuru, because he is in the WOOF. I can't recall any conflict he has had with anyone there. I consider him to be a good owner. When we rebooted the league, I'm pretty sure he was on the "A" list of owners invited to return in the first go-around, even though there had been other owners of the franchise he was running. The sixth is Chubby. Yes, I've had conflict with Chubby before. I don't harbor any particular ill will toward him but because I'm aware that he has a grudge against me, I typically just try to avoid interacting with him unless he strikes first. But as cuervo has stated, the fact is that he can't stand me and for a very long time has gone out of his way to try to antagonize me.

That said, of *course* someone who for whatever reason has made a positive impression in the past is likely going to get more benefit of the doubt than a blank slate. I try not to let it happen, but I'm human, and that's just human nature. *shurg*
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #19098
Logan
Head Coach

Ben, you should read this post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Or you can like Ben and just disagree with the overall modding here. I think Ben's an awesome guy and generally done a great job with FOFC. I love the guy and his patriotic undies. If I had to pick someone to turn it over to again, I'd again pick Ben. No hesitation whatsoever.

But...

...I get the feeling that he's where I was a few years ago - frustrated with the board and everything that goes along with it - and maybe it's time for him to let go for a while. It's hard to let something go that you've invested so much time and effort into. Lord, do I know. But sometimes you have to set something free for the betterment of both sides and I believe that may be the case in this instance. Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

You're on record as not liking this board. So why keep control of it? I legitimately don't understand that and many others question this as well.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #19099
britrock88
Pro Starter

Ooh, top of the page.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #19100
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

But...

100% transparency:

I told some folks a very short time ago (either this week or last, not sure exactly when,) that I would leave FOF MP and FOFC for good probably this fall if there was no white smoke from Ann Arbor by then. And then Jim announced this week that there would be a new FOF. Go figure. (I have no idea if my comments got back to him, but I seriously doubt it. Just a crazy coincidence.) Anyway, that announcement has very much re-invigorated my interest in both FOFC and FOF MP. I even posted in a couple of OT threads the last few days.