Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #1851
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Terraria or Starbound?

I know Starbound is in beta.. but I don't want to play both similar style games.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #1852
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Terraria or Starbound?

I know Starbound is in beta.. but I don't want to play both similar style games.

I'd go with Terraria. I have 205 hours played on that game and it cost me $3.74. It's just some great fun, allows for a huge amount of creativity and exploration. You won't have the slightest clue what to do for a while and that's ok. It's not a hard game, but it doesn't hold your hand because it's quite a free-form experience.

That's not a knock on Starbound, but it's still not ready and you have to deal with things like character wipes. Terraria is done and PACKED full of stuff.

Last edited by Blackadar : 01-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #1853
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I'd go with Terraria. I have 205 hours played on that game and it cost me $3.74. It's just some great fun, allows for a huge amount of creativity and exploration. You won't have the slightest clue what to do for a while and that's ok. It's not a hard game, but it doesn't hold your hand because it's quite a free-form experience.

That's not a knock on Starbound, but it's still not ready and you have to deal with things like character wipes. Terraria is done and PACKED full of stuff.

Ok thanks.. should have picked this up when it was 50% off... although $10 isn't a big deal.

Probably better to wait on SB anyway.. but I needed that "push".
Old 01-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #1854
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

definitely Terraria. worth it at $10 (but it does go on sale fairly often)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #1855
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
definitely Terraria. worth it at $10 (but it does go on sale fairly often)

Bought.. getting ready to dive in.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #1856
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Bought.. getting ready to dive in.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #1857
Groundhog
Coordinator

I bought Terraria ages ago but never really played it. I played the heck out of Starbound last week, then tried Terraria on the weekend. Couldn't get into it, Starbound is a big step up graphically as well as the interface... It was like playing 2K14 on a PS4 then firing up your PS3...

Starbound is great but quite empty at the moment - not a whole lot of incentive to explore the universe.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #1858
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I had to wiki it.. had no idea how to "craft" stuff.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #1859
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I bought Terraria ages ago but never really played it. I played the heck out of Starbound last week, then tried Terraria on the weekend. Couldn't get into it, Starbound is a big step up graphically as well as the interface... It was like playing 2K14 on a PS4 then firing up your PS3

I don't necessarily agree with you. Starbound has a higher resolution, but I think Terraria is prettier. The random planet colors in Starbound can look quite ugly, whereas Terraria has a cohesive look and thus many of the areas are quite beautiful.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #1860
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Game is addicting.. as it takes time for me to pickaxe my way through now that I'm safe underground.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #1861
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Terraria Wiki is extremely helpful.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #1862
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I haven't picked up either Torchlight game and both are on sale, including TL2 for $5. Thinking about it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #1863
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I haven't picked up either Torchlight game and both are on sale, including TL2 for $5. Thinking about it

SI

Can't go wrong with trying them.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #1864
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Agree. They're both pretty good. But honestly, if you're going to buy one get the second. It's better in almost every facet.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #1865
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Agree. They're both pretty good. But honestly, if you're going to buy one get the second. It's better in almost every facet.

Yep. TL2 is easly worth a $5 spot.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #1866
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

Well luckily for you Steam if offering a Free Trial of Torchlight 2 starting today through the weekend

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/10/to...utm_medium=emp

And it will be 75% off till Monday

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-10-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #1867
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll vouch for TL2 as well.. I liked it better than the original.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #1868
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't know if I've ever seen a game with such polarizing reviews - some say it's trash, it even has a 100 rating from one reviewer. Is it really worth playing (bearing in mind you can get Apocalypse from Steam or GOG if you really want)

The original game was buggy and had some design flaws that the gold edition fixed. It's harder, its longer, it takes place on another planet, but no X-Com clone has been as close as this one of the many entrants (and I've tried most of them at one time or another)

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #1869
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

TL2 is better than Diablo 3. At least until Diablo 3 fixes the whole auction house debacle with he expansion.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #1870
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Tikione Steam Cleaner

Saw this on Reddit. A java program that searches and deletes all the redistributable packages that Steam leaves on your system when it installs a game.

I cleared off 2.6G on my system.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #1871
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Tikione Steam Cleaner

Saw this on Reddit. A java program that searches and deletes all the redistributable packages that Steam leaves on your system when it installs a game.

I cleared off 2.6G on my system.

Cleaned 4G for me. Score. Nice find.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #1872
SackAttack
Head Coach

1.8 GB here. Awesome.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #1873
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

1.7 GB here.. very nice find!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #1874
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that's pretty amazing, really
Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #1875
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Steam lately, so we'll see how much this finds for me...

oops...i forgot to scroll down to the bottom and see

25 files...so probably a bunch.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #1876
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Ouch. Saved 13.5 GB. It's possible I need an intervention.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #1877
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Great find! 900MB only for me, but I've also only had this computer for a couple months.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #1878
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The Banner Saga comes out today. Early reviews put it above 80 on metacritic with only one mixed review so far(among his faults of the game was that the choice system didn't point out the negatives of his choices quick/obviously enough, so I wonder how much exactly he wants his hand held). If anyone picks it up, post impressions here.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #1879
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
The Banner Saga comes out today. Early reviews put it above 80 on metacritic with only one mixed review so far(among his faults of the game was that the choice system didn't point out the negatives of his choices quick/obviously enough, so I wonder how much exactly he wants his hand held). If anyone picks it up, post impressions here.

I got my Steam key for being a backer on Kickstarter yesterday, I'll probably be trying it out tonight.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #1880
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Rock Paper Shotgun was a fairly mixed review as well. I'm tracking this one, but I not confident enough with their vision to preorder.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #1881
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Rock Paper Shotgun was a fairly mixed review as well. I'm tracking this one, but I not confident enough with their vision to preorder.

I'll be honest, didn't check there. Going there now, I was more referring specifically to Metacritic reviews that were up at the time of my post. The only one there that wasn't positive had complaints that aren't relevant to move, or quite frankly, anyone else that frequents this board.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #1882
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
I'll be honest, didn't check there. Going there now, I was more referring specifically to Metacritic reviews that were up at the time of my post. The only one there that wasn't positive had complaints that aren't relevant to move, or quite frankly, anyone else that frequents this board.

The RPS one doesn't pan it. It just said the last half was a bit of a slog. I generally trust the RPS opinion on games.

The thing that always worries me about indie games like Banner is that the initial reviews tend to be done by people who are fanboys of the game. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough that I've noticed a pattern especially around these types of indie games. Some people are worse than others. Tom Chick, for instance, is so biased for any developer who posts on his forums that you can't really trust any of his reviews. GamingTrend is also guilty of review fanboyism.

But I remember many of the initial reviews of Shadowrun being very high and the later reviews were decidedly more mixed. The 6 highest rated reviews were all published within a 4 day window in July when the game was released.

I hope that Banner ends up being a good game because it's right up my alley. I'll wait for a few days to see how things shake out.

Last edited by Blackadar : 01-14-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #1883
mckerney
Coordinator

Also got my key for a Broken Age today, though being that it's still in beta at this point I think I'm going to wait until the release on the 27th to play it.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #1884
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Also got my key for a Broken Age today, though being that it's still in beta at this point I think I'm going to wait until the release on the 27th to play it.

Not much will change in 2 weeks.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #1885
mckerney
Coordinator

I know the first act is finished as far as content goes, but I'd rather wait for bug fixes that are going on right now when I've got plenty of other game to play at the moment.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #1886
Thomkal
Head Coach

Here's PC Gamer's review of Broken Age:

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/broken-age-act-1-review/
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #1887
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ping All: I have some steam coupons for trade/giveaway. They're only good through the end of the month, so first come first serve.

2 coupons for 50% off Crusader Kings 2 (Normally 39.99)
1 Coupon for 90% off KnightShift (Normally 6.99)

PM me your steam nick or send me a friend request (same nick)
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #1888
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I retried about 6 solutions to appease the tech support people and nothing helped. I stopped short of doing a second uninstall & reinstall as that was just silly.

So lo-and-behold, after the steam update that i just downloaded yesterday, cloudsync seems to be back.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #1889
MikeVic
Head Coach

I tried the demo for Project Zomboid last night. Is the actual game this littered with zombies? Or does it not seem so bad after you've played more than a few games?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #1890
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I tried the demo for Project Zomboid last night. Is the actual game this littered with zombies? Or does it not seem so bad after you've played more than a few games?

I last played Project Zomboid many years ago now. 2-3 years ago? I felt like there were almost always a lot of zombies. I only had one game that lasted a long time. The rest were pretty... brief.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #1891
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I last played Project Zomboid many years ago now. 2-3 years ago? I felt like there were almost always a lot of zombies. I only had one game that lasted a long time. The rest were pretty... brief.

Do you know if they're random maps with random starting points too? Maybe the scenario in the demo is just set up with a high difficulty or something. I like the idea of the game, but honestly would prefer a slightly lower difficulty level in order to find it fun enough to buy. The zombies felt insane in the few games I played.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #1892
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Do you know if they're random maps with random starting points too? Maybe the scenario in the demo is just set up with a high difficulty or something. I like the idea of the game, but honestly would prefer a slightly lower difficulty level in order to find it fun enough to buy. The zombies felt insane in the few games I played.

Maps aren't random and yes, the game is awfully hard. I have one game going where I've been alive like 15 days now. I figure that's a major achievement.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #1893
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
TL2 is better than Diablo 3. At least until Diablo 3 fixes the whole auction house debacle with he expansion.

Late to the party on this, $5 is a steal for this! I have almost 500 hours in that game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #1894
Blackadar
Retired

I'll try this here first because you guys are awesome. I have a number of games that I've purchased and never activated on Steam. They're free to a good home, though donations of cards, other games or Steam Wallet is greatly appreciated. I *think* all of these activate on Steam.

F.E.A.R
F.E.A.R 2
F.E.A.R 3
Mortal Kombat Collection
Saints Row: The Third
Titan Quest *taken*
Chompy Chomp Chomp
Particulars
Super Panda
39 Steps
The Whispered World
Ring Runner
Men of War: Vietnam
Real Warfare 1242
Off-Road Drive
Star Wolves 2
Death Track: Resurrection
Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades
Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition
Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise
Warhammer 40K Dawn of War
Zeno Clash
Eleusis
Karatka
Primordia

Last edited by Blackadar : 01-19-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #1895
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm interested in a couple, but who am I kidding? They'd end up sitting on my computer unplayed as well
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #1896
chinaski
College Prospect

This game is pretty sweet.. played about 30 games last night, very addicting. If you like turned based rpgs and survival games, you'll definitely love this.

Longest ive survived is 2.5 days, I suck at life apparently.

NEO Scavenger on Steam
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:15 AM   #1897
bhlloy
Coordinator

So the new EU4 DLC seems to have completely nerfed my game - tried uninstalling/reinstalling, updating drivers and making sure I'm playing at the lowest/recommended settings, and still hard crashing less than 30 mins into the game. Paradox has some great games but damn they put out some unstable shit at times.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #1898
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm interested in a couple, but who am I kidding? They'd end up sitting on my computer unplayed as well

If you're interested, ask. They're not even sitting on my computer. They're sitting in the bundles waiting to be on someone's computer!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #1899
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So the new EU4 DLC seems to have completely nerfed my game - tried uninstalling/reinstalling, updating drivers and making sure I'm playing at the lowest/recommended settings, and still hard crashing less than 30 mins into the game. Paradox has some great games but damn they put out some unstable shit at times.

Sorry to hear this bh. I heard EU4 is very good. But given the overabundance of DLC they always publish for their titles, I'm in "wait and see" mode.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #1900
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
If you're interested, ask. They're not even sitting on my computer. They're sitting in the bundles waiting to be on someone's computer!

I have a handful of games from bundles that are games I already have. But I have kids to pass them off to, however the games might be out dated by the time I can pass them off.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote