Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #1851
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Possibilities
(I'm trying to rank them in order of "penalty", too- sort of, but I'm also trying to keep similar ones together so I don't really want to debate if 10 schols > 1 year postseason > 20 schols > 2 years postseason)
  • Death Penalty: >1 year
  • Death Penalty: 1 year
  • Kicked out of Big Ten
  • Loss of non-conference games: >1 year
  • Loss of non-conference games: 1 year
  • Postseason ban: >3 years
  • Postseason ban: 2-3 years
  • Postseason ban: 1 year
  • Empty stadium penalty: any duration
  • All players can transfer without penalty
  • Upperclassmen can transfer without penalty
  • Loss of scholarships: 20+ for 3+ years
  • Loss of scholarships: 20+ for 1-3 years
  • Loss of scholarships: 11-19 for 3+ years
  • Loss of scholarships: 11-19 for 1-3 years
  • Loss of scholarships: <=10 for 3+ years
  • Loss of scholarships: <=10 for 1-3 years
  • No televised games
  • Reduced practice schedule
  • Monetary damages (likely used for a child abuse fund)
  • Probation: 5+ years
  • Probation: <=5 years
  • Forfeit games going back to 1998
  • Any other forfeit games penalty
Am I missing any obvious ones?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #1852
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A poster on the USC board who is usually accurate claims to have inside information:

FWIW
Just got off the phone with a good friend who works at, let's say an "association" in Indianapolis. This friend is privy to the "framework" (his words) of the sanctions. Let's just say, let's al be thankful we're not PSU. An interesting comment was that the Freeh report was done in conjunction with "subsatntial association resources" and "past and present operatives". This will be their justification to tag along and draft behind to impose the penalties. That and PSU basiclly did a big Mia Culpa....

The following is an outline and not set in stone as ongoing discussions with PSU continue:

Oversight

On going NCAA physical presences for ALL athletic department
decisions. Committee of three governors will act with unprecedented oversight
to approve all actions and compel the university to follow the prescribed
remedies going forward. In essense, the athletic department will operated by the NCAA for an undisclosed period.

Football Operations

Suspension of Football operations for 1 year.

No Television until 2015.

Bowl Ban until 2015.

No scholarships for 2013.

Current roster allowed to transfer without penalty.

Clearing House to facilitate all transfers.

Special dispensation will allow players not to count against
scholarship numbers of acquiring teams.

Reduction of scholarships by 8 for 5 years beginning in 2014

Beginning in 2014, option to field team in Division 1AA, or
secondary sub division.

Records from 1998 will be vacated.

Financial

Ticket revenue offset payout given to scheduled opponents
for 2012 season to compensate for no games.
This could all change, but this is what was related to me......just an FYI
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #1853
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
It would be ironic if the the Big Ten dropped PSU and picked up UVA. Also, I think PSU getting dropped from the Big Ten would be far worse than the death penalty. They lose out on Big Ten money, no conference wants them, and they aren't built to be an independent. The school would lose out on millions of dollars for every year they remained that way. I could easily see them losing out on tens of millions of dollars.

They aren't built to be an independent? They were for a long, long time and did very well. They aren't built right now to be one, but right now, they aren't built for much. I think it would be appropriate if the B10 jettisoned them, and then when they did get football back, no one would schedule them.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #1854
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

EaglesFan27, if that actually comes to pass, then those are acceptable penalties

That said, I don't think the NCAA has the stones to levy that penalty

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-22-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #1855
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This is the NCAA we're talking about here. You all have far too much faith in these corrupt bastards.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #1856
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, two poll threads are up:
(Poll) How SHOULD Penn State be Penalized? - Front Office Football Central
(Poll) What WILL Penn State be Penalized? - Front Office Football Central

One is for what you predict will be the penalty while the other is for what you think should be a fair penalty

SI

Old 07-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #1857
Klinglerware
College Starter

Hmm... Bill O'Brien may need to think about contingencies in looking out for #1 here. Hopefully he will acquit himself well enough to maintain or build his equity and stay a valuable commodity by the end of the upcoming season
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #1858
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Hmm... Bill O'Brien may need to think about contingencies in looking out for #1 here. Hopefully he will acquit himself well enough to maintain or build his equity and stay a valuable commodity by the end of the upcoming season

Maybe he knew what he was getting into and he values job security. It's kind of a unique opportunity, to re-build a historic football power, to bring the school back. And he doesn't even have to win, at least not for a long time. His career path before was the same as a lot of other guys - successful coordinator, perennial long-shot head coaching candidate, someday maybe he lands a lower-profile NFL head coaching job, with a high likelihood that he gets fired after 4-5 years and then goes back on the coordinator carousel. He can really make his mark at Penn St., and maybe such a thing appeals to him

Last edited by molson : 07-22-2012 at 12:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #1859
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
EaglesFan27, if that actually comes to pass, then those are acceptable penalties

That said, I don't think the NCAA has the stones to levy that penalty

SI

Yeah. That seems like it would qualify as a "death penalty" because of the one year of suspended football, which is supposedly not on the table.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #1860
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Maybe he knew what he was getting into and he values job security. It's kind of a unique opportunity, to re-build a historic football power, to bring the school back. And he doesn't even have to win, at least not for a long time. His career path before was the same as a lot of other guys - successful coordinator, perennial long-shot head coaching candidate, someday maybe he lands a lower-profile NFL head coaching job, with a high likelihood that he gets fired after 4-5 years and then goes back on the coordinator carousel. He can really make his mark at Penn St., and maybe such a thing appeals to him

Those are fair points, it did seem to be a medium risk/high reward type of decision at the time of the hiring. The calculus may be a little different now (though maybe he knew how bad it was potentially going to be, maybe not), especially if worst-case penalties do materialize, and if the administrators who supported his candidacy are swept away...
Old 07-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #1861
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
They aren't built to be an independent? They were for a long, long time and did very well. They aren't built right now to be one, but right now, they aren't built for much. I think it would be appropriate if the B10 jettisoned them, and then when they did get football back, no one would schedule them.

I'm looking at them being an independent at this point versus history. They don't have the name brand and ability to pull off what ND can. Who schedules them? Who puts them on TV?
Old 07-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #1862
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

What are the odds that the great majority of the penalty leaks out before today is over? Seems pretty high...
Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #1863
Ben E Lou

Ummm...wow. Joe Paterno = Jesus:

BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Message Boards
Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #1864
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
A poster on the USC board who is usually accurate claims to have inside information:

FWIW
Just got off the phone with a good friend who works at, let's say an "association" in Indianapolis. This friend is privy to the "framework" (his words) of the sanctions. Let's just say, let's al be thankful we're not PSU. An interesting comment was that the Freeh report was done in conjunction with "subsatntial association resources" and "past and present operatives". This will be their justification to tag along and draft behind to impose the penalties. That and PSU basiclly did a big Mia Culpa....

So I should put this along side all the other insider information that gets passed around the internet via message boards due to people being usually accurate? I'm still waiting for Auburn to get nailed like a so called accurate insider said they were going to.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #1865
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
What are the odds that the great majority of the penalty leaks out before today is over? Seems pretty high...

The NCAA is a efficiently and competently run organization. There's no way something this substantial could... hahah, you got me there.

That said, I suspect it will be leaked but it will also be with 50 other "sources" all trying to sound like they know someone. It's hard to figure out the truth with the signal to noise ratio these days.

SI

Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #1866
Ben E Lou

Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #1867
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Speaking of the Bible, the way we worship sports figures and others including building graven images of them is...interesting and something better left undone.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #1868
bronconick
College Starter

So, on one hand, Emmert is given "unprecedented authority" to lay the hammer down, but these weren't negotiated with Penn State and they don't plan to appeal.

I read that you can suspend/expel a school from the NCAA with a 2/3 vote of all member institutions. Wonder if he called them and said "This is what we're going to do to you. If you try to appeal, I have the votes to kick you out for 1-2-3 years." This is the sort of thing I bet you could get 80%+ of university presidents to agree on.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #1869
Ben E Lou

Sources: NCAA president to hit Penn State with 'staggering' penalties from Sandusky scandal - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
One source told Yahoo! Sports Emmert’s sanctions will include a “multiple-year” bowl ban and “crippling” scholarship losses.

Interesting. Crippling scholarship losses along with a multi-year bowl ban basically reduces them to a I-AA football school for a while, I would think. If that's true, it seems like a strange way to handle it. I think I'm with digamma, either shut down the program for some period of time (and let the kids go play somewhere else without penalty,) or say it's out of your jurisdiction.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #1870
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post

If Schiano could parlay Rutgers into an NFL head coaching job, anything is possible for him in the future.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #1871
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

And, taking down a statue = crucifying.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #1872
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #1873
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Based on his comment in the other thread there you linked ( "Its also probably pretty painful for kids to get raped by grown men, too") , I think he's being sarcastic.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #1874
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you have a time machine (and you've already used it to go kill Hitler), do you think JoePa's statue and status gets somewhat reinstated in 20 or 30 years at Penn State?

SI

Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #1875
Ben E Lou

Hope so. I wonder why he deleted it. Seems that if he were being sarcastic he might have just clarified...
Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #1876
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Based on his comment in the other thread there you linked ( "Its also probably pretty painful for kids to get raped by grown men, too") , I think he's being sarcastic.

But this being "the internetz", he will be forever known as a PSU/Paterno apologist.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #1877
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hearing that a PSU underclassman, that we recruited as a high school kid, has reached out to WVU to see if we are still interested.

If UNC, Miami, and Penn State all get hit with postseason bans, we may see a pretty significant "free agency" in college football.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #1878
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure Kansas will benefit from... oh, never mind.

SI

Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #1879
mckerney
Coordinator

It looks like there was a deal that the statue would come down but Paterno's name was on the library, this after school officials decided that keeping his name on the library would be a good reminder to everyone inside to stay quiet.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #1880
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
If Schiano could parlay Rutgers into an NFL head coaching job, anything is possible for him in the future.

He has ties to the NFL. He'll be fine.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #1881
tarcone
Coordinator

Man, Im really anticipating tomorrow.
So many questions being a B1G fan.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #1882
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It looks like there was a deal that the statue would come down but Paterno's name was on the library, this after school officials decided that keeping his name on the library would be a good reminder to everyone inside to stay quiet.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #1883
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Special dispensation will allow players not to count against scholarship numbers of acquiring teams.

Even USC you think?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #1884
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Even USC you think?

I doubt it. Really interested to see the conference tomorrow.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #1886
Atocep
Coordinator

Iowa President says sanctions from the Big 10 could be coming as well

Iowa president: Big Ten might also punish Penn State – USATODAY.com
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #1887
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
First, the backpedaling at 32m "Uh, yeah, it's not that the penalties are unprecedented but the way".

And now you see the real PR at work: "Morons on ESPN will debate if this is worse than the death penalty". Yeah, I'm going to let you know that it's not. Because you know what sucks more than losing 10 scholarships a year for 5 years? Losing 80 scholarships for 1 year, all your coaches and assistants who can get out, and then having to start from scratch with no one wanting to go to your program.

And, slightly frustrating is that this will set the stage for Miami in the fall. Miami did worse than what SMU did and should, by all rights, get the death penalty as well. Instead, it will be measured against PSU's penalty. "Well, Penn State got 3 years of no bowls and losing 10 (ooh) scholarships so we'll hand Miami a joke of 2 years no postseason for a team that went 6-6 last year and 5 scholarships." Never mind that they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar, once again.

Oh, and Boise State will be penalized 3 more scholarships for both program's infractions.

SI

Yup. They are going to try and build this up to be a severe punishment when it's not. The "worse than death penalty" rhetoric is hilarious. Having a shitty program is not as bad as having no program.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #1888
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yup. They are going to try and build this up to be a severe punishment when it's not. The "worse than death penalty" rhetoric is hilarious. Having a shitty program is not as bad as having no program.

Exhibit A: Kansas football. We still get players that want to play college football and we even win a game once in a while. These are things you cannot do with the death penalty.

SI

Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #1889
Butter
Coordinator

So, potential for the Big Ten to have 2 schools not eligible for postseason next year. Good luck filling your 19 bowl slots.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #1890
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So what's the word, I can' watch ESPN3 from work and any news radio streaming is blocked here as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #1891
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Watching on CNNSI right now...OMG
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #1892
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records," the statement continued.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.

This is from ESPN.

Worse than the death penalty my ass. The 60 million will only hurt students or PA taxpayers and the rest of the penalties are only slightly more harsh than those for selling pins and getting free tattoos.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #1893
Philliesfan980
Banned

Can someone give me the summary as you hear it? Another one without access to the stream right now.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #1894
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This is from ESPN.

Worse than the death penalty my ass. The 60 million will only hurt students or PA taxpayers and the rest of the penalties are only slightly more harsh than those for selling pins and getting free tattoos.

Yeah. I'm not overly impressed.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #1895
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The NCAA has hit Penn State with a $60 million sanction, a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins dating to 1998, the organization announced Monday morning in a news release.

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university," the statement said.

The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records, the statement continued.

Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period, the release said.

from espn
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #1896
bronconick
College Starter

What's this "Ten initial and 20 total" per year?

15 recruits/65 total?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #1897
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not enough.

In typical NCAA fashion the kids that are there now have to pay for something that happened when they were in diapers. Such a joke. How they can not let them transfer is beyond me.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-23-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #1898
Philliesfan980
Banned

What a joke - I've lost all respect for major college athletics at this point.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #1899
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not enough.

I typical NCAA fashion the kids that are there now have to pay for something that happened when they were in diapers. Such a joke. How they can not let them transfer is beyond me.

They don't have to stay:

"Emmert also said that any Penn State athlete who wants to transfer to another school can do so and be eligible to play immediately."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #1900
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Should've included a four year TV ban as well.