Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #1851
Logan
Head Coach

Toronto must be a haven for bloop singles tonight.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #1852
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Zambrano hit his 18th career home run. lol that's awesome.. Damn I didn't realize he also hit .337 last year. impressive
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #1853
hoopsguy
General Manager

I wonder if there is somewhere to find stats on how often a reliever walks their first batter. Between Marmol, Heilman, and Cotts earlier in the year - along with some of the other scrubs - I'm guessing the Cubs are over 30% on the year across their bullpen. Marmol and Cotts might be north of 50% each. Just maddening.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #1854
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Detroit is having huge issues against RH SPs. Santana hasn't been able to get a single person out yet this year, and Detroit makes him look like he's in Cy Young form tonight.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #1855
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The White Sox are trying to get shut out again at home - YaY!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #1856
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I wonder if there is somewhere to find stats on how often a reliever walks their first batter. Between Marmol, Heilman, and Cotts earlier in the year - along with some of the other scrubs - I'm guessing the Cubs are over 30% on the year across their bullpen. Marmol and Cotts might be north of 50% each. Just maddening.

Ain't no way I've got the patience for doing their whole bullpen but just out of curiosity ...

Through yesterday's games:

Cotts has walked 9 batters total in 19 appearances, 2x once, 1x seven times
May 17th - batter reached on error, scoreless outing
May 9th - walked Fielder, allowed 2 runs
May 1st - walked Uggla, scoreless outing
Apr 26th - walked Thurston, allowed 1 run
Apr 21st - struck out Tavers, scoreless outing
Apr 18th - walked first two batters ,scoreless outing
Apr 15th - walked Smith, scoreless outing
Apr 11th - walked Fielder, scoreless outing (but inherited runners scored)

So in 19 appearances he's walked the first batter 6 times.

Y'know what's odder than that to me though? His ERA of 6.75 in games when he walks a batter at all is actually lower than his total ERA of 7.36

edit to add: Given that Marmol has walked at least one batter in 14 of his 25 appearances, I think I'll have to recharge my batteries before tackling the game logs for him

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-05-2009 at 08:59 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #1857
hoopsguy
General Manager

Jon, that is definitely more work than I was willing to put into it. But thanks for rolling up the sleeves and exposing my hyperbole
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #1858
JS19
College Prospect

What the hell is this traveling signal they do at the Nats games? I remember last time the Mets were there I kept seeing these morons sitting behind homeplate mimicking the travel call in basketball, and I'm seeing the same thing tonight.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #1859
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Man these White Sox are pissing me off - "Chicago has not scored in 23 1-3 consecutive innings and has been blanked three of its last four games."

They also lead the league now being shut out 9 times.

wtf is going with the offense?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #1860
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
What the hell is this traveling signal they do at the Nats games? I remember last time the Mets were there I kept seeing these morons sitting behind homeplate mimicking the travel call in basketball, and I'm seeing the same thing tonight.

It's an attempt to distract the pitcher.

There was an old woman who used to do that from her second row seats behind home at Shea every game for decades. She died in the late 90s I believe.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #1861
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

No, I think 7 extra base hits off Greinke qualifies as a good ol' fashioned ass kicking

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:37 PM   #1862
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
Man these White Sox are pissing me off - "Chicago has not scored in 23 1-3 consecutive innings and has been blanked three of its last four games."

They also lead the league now being shut out 9 times.

wtf is going with the offense?

Carl Pavano, circa 2004, showed up. Seriously, don't worry about the other games in the series. Unless they're slugfests, the ChiSox should win.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #1863
hoopsguy
General Manager

It has not exactly been a Murderer's Row of pitchers shutting out the White Sox.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #1864
SackAttack
Head Coach

I have never been so happy to get robbed of the save in fantasy baseball.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #1865
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Lyle Overbay and Adam Lind must have hit shattered bat homers.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #1866
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Detroit is having huge issues against RH SPs. Santana hasn't been able to get a single person out yet this year, and Detroit makes him look like he's in Cy Young form tonight.

To be fair, Santana is a very talented pitcher coming off of a great season last year, and probably has the most natural talent of any pitcher in the Angels organization. So it's not exactly like Detroit turned Chan Ho into Sandy Joufax here. He got off to a bad start, basically going through spring training. Nice to see him turn it around (and hopefully he keeps it up).

2007 Cy Young candidate Kelvim Escobar will pitch in his first game since losing to the Red Sox in the 2007 postseason. He starts tomorrow.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-06-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #1867
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Even Greinke's struggling now. The Royals are in BIG trouble. 8 in a row the wrong way.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #1868
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
To be fair, Santana is a very talented pitcher coming off of a great season last year, and probably has the most natural talent of any pitcher in the Angels organization. So it's not exactly like Detroit turned Chan Ho into Sandy Joufax here. He got off to a bad start, basically going through spring training. Nice to see him turn it around (and hopefully he keeps it up).

2007 Cy Young candidate Kelvim Escobar will pitch in his first game since losing to the Red Sox in the 2007 postseason. He starts tomorrow.

I know that, but there was a good article detailing Detroit's struggles against RHers, and this is just further proof they have issues. Santana and Escobar, given their injury issues and struggles to get back to where theyused to be, should have been/be fodder fo a good hitting team right now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #1869
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I know that, but there was a good article detailing Detroit's struggles against RHers, and this is just further proof they have issues. Santana and Escobar, given their injury issues and struggles to get back to where theyused to be, should have been/be fodder fo a good hitting team right now.

Well, yes and no. Do returns from injury always go smoothly? No, of course not (and certainly hasn't for Santana). Do players come back from injury, though, without hitch? Sometimes, yeah. And at some point, the ones with real talent, like Santana and Escobar, well, that talent is going to show up, and I find it hard to fault the Tigers when they face a very good pitcher, and he pitches well (of all things).

For instance, Verlander had those struggles all last year, and he was just dominant yesterday. I'm not going to blame the Angels for having to wait him out and get to Rodney. Sorta silly to do otherwise--good pitchers are gonna get you out.

Now, if the Tigers made Matt Palmer look like an All Star--which they did about a month and change back--now you're talking.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #1870
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Whoever said that Burrell was better in the field than Ibanez was smoking crack.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #1871
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Even Greinke's struggling now. The Royals are in BIG trouble. 8 in a row the wrong way.

Are you surprised? They're a shit team.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #1872
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

And Lidge blows saves in consecutive nights.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #1873
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Brad Lidge is making that contract look Zito-esque.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #1874
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Phillies need to dump him like yesterdays trash.
A one year wonder, who is turning into(or is) a liability.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #1875
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think his knee is hurting more than he is leading on. Shut him down for 15 days.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #1876
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Does Edwin Jackson finally get it? I know he runs hot and cold but this guy is flat out on all year.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #1877
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, and Jackson finishes off a CG, 4 H, 1 ER game vs the Angels.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #1878
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Lester was perfect through 7 1/3 tonight before giving up a double.

Fucking offense putting up runs made him wait too long between innings
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #1879
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I think his knee is hurting more than he is leading on. Shut him down for 15 days.

I was extremely surprised that Lidge didn't get sent to the 15 or even 60-day DL once Romero came back.

I'm not on the "hate Lidge" bandwagon, but I do think he needs to get shutdown for a few weeks.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #1880
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Meh. You were also one of the guys around here promoting the Ibanez signing as THE WORST SIGNNING EVA@!q!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #1881
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Meh. You were also one of the guys around here promoting the Ibanez signing as THE WORST SIGNNING EVA@!q!

Watch the life of the contract - I think I'm okay with it. That being said, he's clearly outperformed expectations.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #1882
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Are you surprised? They're a shit team.

LOL. You should get a six figure analyst spot on TV with those type of analysis skills. You must be the same person that's able to go out on a limb and say that a team with a 10 win streak is a good team.

It's a rough stretch, but they certainly aren't a "shit" team. There's other teams with far worse problems.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #1883
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Kind of ironic that the oft maligned Hochevar is the guy to end the skid.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #1884
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I have never been so happy to get robbed of the save in fantasy baseball.

+1.

And it was a double rob this time, as Belisario coughed up the lead before Broxton got a chance to protect it, and then Furcal tied the game in the 9th with his homer.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #1885
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know I have mentioned it before, but the Nats TV announcers are just dreadful. Especially Dibble.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #1886
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I know I have mentioned it before, but the Nats TV announcers are just dreadful. Especially Dibble.

I'm listening to the Canadian announcers on MLB Audio today. They have some interesting commercials in Canadia.

SI

Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #1887
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm listening to the Canadian announcers on MLB Audio today. They have some interesting commercials in Canadia.

SI

Nice, I remember in the mid 90's I had Wendell Clark and Doug Gilmour on my fantasy hockey team and living in Jersey I used to be able to get 990 i think it was, maybe 900 from Toronto on my AM car stereo at night. Listened to a ton of Leafs games.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-07-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #1888
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Nice, I remember in the mid 90's I had Wendell Clark and Doug Gilmour on my fantasy hockey team and living in Jersey I used to be able to get 990 i think it was, maybe 900 from Toronto on my AM car stereo at night. Listened to a ton of Leafs games.

The Jays have former Astro C Alan Ashby for a color guy alongside a pbp guy who is distinctly Canadian.

SI

Old 06-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #1889
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Halladay looked good today. He got in trouble a couple of times but worked out of it. He didn't get a lot of strikeouts but the Royals helped him by swinging early. A lot. Amazing strike to ball ratio with 73 strikes to 24 balls. Wow. Something like 18 ground ball outs.

SI

Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #1890
Jas_lov
College Starter

Is Joe Girardi the only AL manager who would attempt to bunt with Derek Jeter at the plate in the 5th inning, no outs with runners on 1st and 2nd who both reached base on walks, and with Matt Garza already at 90 pitches? And the Tampa bullpen is rather weak. He's got one of the best lineups in baseball and he's bunting in the 5th inning and giving away outs like it's his job. What a joke.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #1891
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
+1.

And it was a double rob this time, as Belisario coughed up the lead before Broxton got a chance to protect it, and then Furcal tied the game in the 9th with his homer.

You +1'd yourself?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #1892
Danny
Head Coach

Danny is a handsome genius!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #1893
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Danny is a handsome genius!

+1
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #1894
hoopsguy
General Manager

Marmol at it again, 3-2 ballgame and Marmol starts bottom of 8th with back-to-back walks. He is yanked, Heilman is in.

What circle of purgatory is this?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #1895
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Marmol at it again, 3-2 ballgame and Marmol starts bottom of 8th with back-to-back walks. He is yanked, Heilman is in.

Good luck with that.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #1896
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Angels' pen trying to blow the game.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #1897
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You know, Marmol even looks like K-Rod. Ever seen the two of them in the same place at the same time?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #1898
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Pitch to contact, you f'ers. Walks just suck. Make them beat you by swinging the damn bat.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #1899
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Nice running by Rayburn there. Great slide. I thought he was dead to rights.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #1900
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It was a nice play by Rayburn, but, really, it was one of the stupidest damn plays I have ever seen by the Angels. Are you freakin' kidding me?

I hate our pen this year.