Grizzled Veteran

:squish:

I almost died laughing.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #1852
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I stopped watching Madmen because I didn't like a single character in the show. In GoT pretty much any character that I liked or enjoyed has perished and most of what's left is scum. I always find the shades of grey characters the most interesting (which is probably why I loved the wire so much), but it seems as though we just have a whole bunch of evil people save Jamie, Arya, Tyrion and maybe The Hound or stories that need to shit or get off the pot (Danerys and that creepy Bolton kid). I'm really hoping this season wraps with Danerys finding out about the other spy in her midst, saying fuck it and sailing westeros just as those creepy white walkers start pouring in from the north (Although I'm guessing the latter will be in the last season if ever). If we lose a couple of more characters I like I don't think the story has been good enough to keep me in.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #1853
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I stopped watching Madmen because I didn't like a single character in the show. In GoT pretty much any character that I liked or enjoyed has perished and most of what's left is scum. I always find the shades of grey characters the most interesting (which is probably why I loved the wire so much), but it seems as though we just have a whole bunch of evil people save Jamie, Arya, Tyrion and maybe The Hound or stories that need to shit or get off the pot (Danerys and that creepy Bolton kid). I'm really hoping this season wraps with Danerys finding out about the other spy in her midst, saying fuck it and sailing westeros just as those creepy white walkers start pouring in from the north (Although I'm guessing the latter will be in the last season if ever). If we lose a couple of more characters I like I don't think the story has been good enough to keep me in.

Sansa's not evil!

Root for her.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-04-2014 at 10:49 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #1854
Kodos
Resident Alien

As long as Arya or Tyrion is around, I'm in.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #1855
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Sansa's not evil!

Root for her.

True, but she was entitled and whiny (rightfully so). Although it seems as though she may have turned the corner so I'm sure she's the next to die.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #1856
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 06-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #1857
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
pretty much any character that I liked or enjoyed has perished and most of what's left is scum

Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #1858
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sometimes I think the scum are the most interesting to follow
Old 06-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #1859
Ironhead
College Prospect

Is it wrong of me to hope Ellaria sends Cersei's daughter, who is currently in Dorne, back to her in a box? That is probably wrong of me.

Last edited by Ironhead : 06-04-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #1860
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Haha: Game of Thrones' Mountain Played the Hulk at a 3-Year-Old's Birthday
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #1861
whomario
Pro Starter

where the hell is Stannis, anyway ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #1862
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Braavos, last we saw him
Old 06-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #1863
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I usually am one of the last to see a GOT episode every episode, since I am rarely home when it is actually on, so I am always surprised on those occasions when this thread hasn't been bumped before I get here.

Tonight was this season's Blackwater Bay and Rains of Castermere episode, as they like to do with Episode 9.

I enjoyed it immensely, and I am looking forward to the season finale.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:22 AM   #1864
chinaski
College Prospect

Was almost glad to see this episode be over, my heart couldnt take any more. That was easily better than the last 20 action movies ive seen combined.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #1865
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'm just wondering now how much they are going to cram into the finale next week. There's a helluva lot of plotlines to advance/wrap up/whatever you wanna call it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #1866
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I'm just wondering now how much they are going to cram into the finale next week. There's a helluva lot of plotlines to advance/wrap up/whatever you wanna call it.

It's a 70 minute episode next week, so that helps.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #1867
Kodos
Resident Alien

One of my gripes with this show is that everything is so bloody dark. We have to watch in a darkened room just to be vaguely able to see what is going on. The battle scenes are so hard to follow because you can't see who is doing what. It's a great show, but please sacrifice a little realism so we can see the elaborate battle scenes you are staging for us.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #1868
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
It's a 70 minute episode next week, so that helps.

Ah, that'll do it.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #1869
SteveMax58
College Starter

This seems appropriate considering last night's episode.

nothing
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #1870
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I gotta say, I do kind of appreciate the changes they made to Allister Thorne's character. He might be an asshole, he might hate Jon, but when shit goes down, he stepped up, even showing some grudging respect to Jon.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #1871
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
I gotta say, I do kind of appreciate the changes they made to Allister Thorne's character. He might be an asshole, he might hate Jon, but when shit goes down, he stepped up, even showing some grudging respect to Jon.

Agreed. I actually found last night underwhelming compared to Blackwater or the Red Wedding but that aspect I appreciated.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #1872
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ditto on the underwhelming part, actually.

Blackwater actually felt WAY more epic. This battle felt far more underwhelming.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #1873
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
One of my gripes with this show is that everything is so bloody dark. We have to watch in a darkened room just to be vaguely able to see what is going on. The battle scenes are so hard to follow because you can't see who is doing what. It's a great show, but please sacrifice a little realism so we can see the elaborate battle scenes you are staging for us.

Yea, I had to rewatch it on my laptop this morning because I didn't see half of it last night due to the darkness.

My only thing is that I didn't watch the preview at the end of the episode last week and i don't read about GoT throughout the week because I'm always afraid of spoilers. I also didn't read the info on the guide so I guess the ignorance is my fault. But, this is the second time this season I expected an episode to cover/conclude a storyline to not even touch or barely cover it. Both times included Tyrion's drama/saga. Maybe i should pay more attention to what's coming up in the next episode. Girlfriend and i sat down excited to see what happens to Tyrion. Whoops.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #1874
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Agreed. I actually found last night underwhelming compared to Blackwater or the Red Wedding but that aspect I appreciated.

+1. I enjoyed it, because giants and mammoths and crazy shit raking ice+invaders off the wall. It was a very fine episode of a battle. But there's no way it could have the weight of the other two given the characters involved in each area.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #1875
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I'm way more interested in the Kings Landing stuff....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #1876
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I'm a gonna miss Ygritte.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #1877
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I actually didn't have much problem following the action. The panoramic view across the battle in the castle midway through the fight was particularly cool.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #1878
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I'm a gonna miss Ygritte.

You know nothing Qwikshot.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #1879
whomario
Pro Starter

I found some of the comments on the episode around the web a bit weird. Some i read repeatedly were about how the characters were not developed enough for a "send off" (or die-away ) and some of that has been reiterated here, another thing i read repeatedly was how it felt pointless in a way due to the storyline being so disjointed from all others.

But then again, isn´t that what the whole "night watch" storyline always represented ? It is true that the characters were never as fleshed out as the others, but isn´t that the point of the night watch as an institution ? It sort of is this series take on the age old romanticism of an undermanned bunch of nobodies defending stuff.

Also, regarding the dark scenery : I can understand where there are problems with this, but imo it is what the situation calls for here. I mean, it´s not meant as a showcase of technical brilliance (although i am sure the creators are happy to work with some budget here ) but to involve the viewer into what is going on for the characters. And i personally think that the slight "fog of war" type atmosphere added a lot to that.

Anyway, i personally really liked the moment when the Giant rushed the tunnel against those poor bastards and how that scene was played be them. Also the fact that the result of that standoff was presented in such an underplayed manner at the very end.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #1880
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I really enjoyed the episode. While it wasn't as blockbuster as Blackwater or the Red Wedding, that's ok. There were plenty of moments that were simply fantastic, most of which have already been mentioned. Alliser Thorne in particular was something I think the show managed to improve from the books. I'm not so sure I like Samwell Tarly: Badass (tm), but it's not completely jarring. The scene with the giant charging the second gate in the tunnel with Grenn keeping the men there by reciting the Oath was phenomenal, and the cinematography of that one long shot that covered the entire castle was brilliant. The giants were represented very well, I thought, and I particularly enjoyed the one with the bow and arrow completely launching the Night's Watchman off the top of the wall - it helped give a good sense of their enormity.

I really hoped they would do something suitably epic with Tormund, but the anticlimactic ending of the battle with him swinging at everyone despite all his wounds was a nice touch, I thought. Helped underscore the idea that this isn't some great victory...just a good job of surviving the first of what look to be many long, brutal battles.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #1881
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Helped underscore the idea that this isn't some great victory...just a good job of surviving the first of what look to be many long, brutal battles.

Yeah, this was my view too. I enjoyed this more than Blackwater and the Red Wedding, knowing the outcomes of all three from having read the books. It was epic. I'm guessing that's the last of this conflict that we see in season 4.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #1882
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm guessing that's the last of this conflict that we see in season 4.

Strongly disagree.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #1883
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I'm guessing about all of the last episode will be about all of the stuff that happens post trial in Kings Landing. A lot of important events should occur. Likely a scene to setup Arya's next step and an introduction to the Lady Stoneheart.

Not really sure there is much space for more stuff at the wall. Looks like they packed that all in one episode.

But, then again you never know.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #1884
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Not really sure there is much space for more stuff at the wall. Looks like they packed that all in one episode.

Yeah this is my thinking...

Spoiler
Old 06-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #1885
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm guessing about all of the last episode will be about all of the stuff that happens post trial in Kings Landing. A lot of important events should occur. Likely a scene to setup Arya's next step and an introduction to the Lady Stoneheart.

Gramm, keep in mind, this is now a book spoiler free thread devoted to the show as it is being filmed on screen. As a book reader, I know what you're referring to, but there are others here who don't, and prefer not to be spoiled.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #1886
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

No problem, although I do not think there are any spoilers in that post. I specifically did not divulge anything that could spoil the story.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #1887
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No problem, although I do not think there are any spoilers in that post. I specifically did not divulge anything that could spoil the story.

Show watchers won't know about...

Spoiler

Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #1888
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

So nobody on the tv thread yet? Thought it was a solid finale...

* The Stannis storyline actually just started to get interesting. I take it he got permission to go through the tunnel from the Night's Watch or just barreled through on his own?

* Without nudity or any plot advancement I now feel the Denaryas parts are just wasting my time. More people coming and talking to her on the throne? Yawn.

* Not sure about Arya. I really enjoyed the interaction of her and the Hound but lately it was just them wandering the countryside. Was sad about the Hound's death (I assume death) his character was fantastic. If she can join up in the North and combine a few plotlines it would be nice. (Maybe meet up with the crippled Stark?)

* Tyrion's segment delivered as always. Were we supposed to know that Shae was sleeping with his dad before last night? A question for book readers... do the books end similar to the seasons? Meaning is Tyrion on the boat at the end of the book in a cliffhanger or is the situation immediately resolved like 10 pages later? I guess this frees up the Queen to stay in King's Landing. Not sure how Jamie will take Tyrion murdering his dad. I'm guessing his attitude will be it had to be done. I think this sets up a great chance for King's Landing to be invaded by the dragons next season.

* Not sure what the hell is going on with that tree. I'm a big fan of "semi fantasy" like the giants and mammoths last week or some bits of magic. The tree man/God is a bit past my point of understanding.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #1889
SteveMax58
College Starter

Solid finale and looks like some interesting storyline changes ahead for S5. As usual, Ep 9 was probably the more riveting (I'm sure there's a better word choice) to watch but I can honestly say I lost track of the time on this episode & it was over before I expected it to be over (because of the immersion).

Some interesting plot twists....

Tyrion's girlfriend turned out to be, well...a whore. And not only does he get away with his life, but he gets to finally confront his father & settle things with him. I do have to admit I loved Tywin's character but have honestly found his hatred for Tyrion to be difficult to undestand and feels slightly forced for such a coldly rational man. I mean...even Jaime is rational enough to not blame his brother for their mother's death.

Hound vs Brienne....that was a pretty epic clash of the titans. Great fight & interesting that Arya didnt finish him off as he wanted. I'm not sure I get "why" she didn't do it & left him there. [shurg]

Cersei & Jaime....I guess they can marry who, and live where, they please now but I can't imagine them being public about their relationship will lead to anything good for them. If anything, it seems like it will risk Tommen's legitimacy in a substantial way.

Surprised we didn't have Arya & Sansa meetup. I mean...ok your aunt is dead but here is Petyr, your aunt's husband, or Robin ftm (the guards dont know who knows who). At the least, you'd think the guards would send word to Petyr or Robin.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #1890
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
A question for book readers... do the books end similar to the seasons? Meaning is Tyrion on the boat at the end of the book in a cliffhanger or is the situation immediately resolved like 10 pages later?

Not ten pages later, but 11 years later.

Which is to say, yes it was a cliffhanger that wasn't resolved for eleven years.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 06-16-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #1891
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post

Which is to say, yes it was a cliffhanger that wasn't resolved for eleven years.

Hope HBO moves a little faster on that one.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #1892
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought the episode ended things for the season well. Glad my two favorites are still alive and kicking (Arya and Tyrion).
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #1893
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Surprised we didn't have Arya & Sansa meetup. I mean...ok your aunt is dead but here is Petyr, your aunt's husband, or Robin ftm (the guards dont know who knows who). At the least, you'd think the guards would send word to Petyr or Robin.

This seemed like a pretty solid plot hole (that never happened in the books), but I'd imagine the line is going to be that the people in the Vale aren't going around telling everyone and their mother that they have Sansa Stark inside, otherwise they run the risk of becoming public enemy numero uno for the Lannisters and the rest of the houses 'loyal' to the throne. Still find it hard to believe that a shit ton of armed guards would let the Hound just ride off after announcing that he has Arya Stark in tow.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-16-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #1894
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
So nobody on the tv thread yet? Thought it was a solid finale...

* The Stannis storyline actually just started to get interesting. I take it he got permission to go through the tunnel from the Night's Watch or just barreled through on his own?

Nah, he sailed his fleet just north of the wall and landed, per the books.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #1895
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
This seemed like a pretty solid plot hole (that never happened in the books), but I'd imagine the line is going to be that the people in the Vale aren't going around telling everyone and they're mother that they have Sansa Stark inside, otherwise they run the risk of becoming public enemy numero uno for the Lannisters and the rest of the houses 'loyal' to the throne. Still find it hard to believe that a shit ton of armed guards would let the Hound just ride off after announcing that he has Arya Stark in tow.

Don't only a handful of people at the Vale know her identity?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #1896
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yes, but when they revealed her identity there were several more people in the room than just the important people. Several guards, etc. No way news that big stays quiet for long.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #1897
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if HBO planned in advance to have that episode air on Father's Day or if it was just a coincidence.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #1898
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Nah, he sailed his fleet just north of the wall and landed, per the books.

That's what I assumed.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #1899
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post

I believe this was the point I really started to get all at GRRM....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #1900
Kodos
Resident Alien

So has he been working on one book for the whole time that the TV series has existed?