Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2024, 04:38 PM   #1851
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Comical how many voices on the right screaming about Biden stepping down and the dems subverting democracy while literally wanting a king and dictator.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 04:39 PM   #1852
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
And the candidate who actually cares about the country makes the best choice for the country.

Thank you Joe.

I agree. Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Its wrong but I think she needs a white male as her VP

I feel like this probably doesn't matter. Anyone who was not going to vote for her because she's a women or a minority isn't going going to change their mind because her VP is a white male. If anything, having someone like Gretchen Whitmer might garner additional votes.

Overall, I'm guessing her VP choice will have very little impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The Republican convention proved the Republicans are all in for everyone. Unity is the key. White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, men and women are all in this together. No lawfare, no desperate assassinations, just love for America and all Americans. I look forward to the next leader of the Democrats to join in with that message so we can all make America great again.

So you're telling me that Trump and the Republicans are going to do a 180 from how they have acted the last several years? Trump is incredibly divisive. There is no way they change their stripes.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 04:42 PM   #1853
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'll say it: I was wrong. Again.

What a traveshamockery this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Comical how many voices on the right screaming about Biden stepping down and the dems subverting democracy while literally wanting a king and dictator.

Agreed.

Also comical: Democrats saying they want to beat Trump to save democracy while subverting it at the same time. Suffice to say they've pushed me closer to voting third party for the forseeable future. Not in this election unless they manage to pick worse for Biden's replacement than I expect, but they've shown what they believe in here.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-21-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 04:50 PM   #1854
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Lol...
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 04:54 PM   #1855
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

Agreed.

Also comical: Democrats saying they want to beat Trump to save democracy while subverting it at the same time. Suffice to say they've pushed me closer to voting third party for the forseeable future. Not in this election unless they manage to pick worse for Biden's replacement than I expect, but they've shown what they believe in here.

I think thats fair. I am more liberal but prior to Trump I was registered independent and had issues with both parties. I just think Trump changed the game and until the republican party is no longer the party of trump its a clear issue of lesser of two evils.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 04:56 PM   #1856
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Now let's demand thomas altogether gorusch and Brett and McConnell to all resign
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 05:09 PM   #1857
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Agreed.

When people talk about democracy, they're talking about the country. The Democratic Party is a political party, not a country. I've never seen a "third party" hold a public or semi-public election like Democrats and Republicans do. But the only reason those two do is tradition, but I don't think a primary is any kind of cornerstone of democracy, I mean, as long as we have multiple parties.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 05:28 PM   #1858
bob
College Starter

I don’t understand the appeal of Harris. Her 2020 campaign was a mess, she has done basically nothing as VP, and most of her soundbites over the last few years sound like a kindergarten teacher talking to kids.

I’m probably missing something.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 05:44 PM   #1859
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't know why this would push you over the edge. If you're complaining about the primary process not being democratic, that's a legit complaint. It isn't and probably never will be. Democrats aren't big on democracy either.

But what's happening now isn't "subverting democracy". You vote for delegates and they basically pick the nominee. If Joe Biden asks his delegates to select Kamala, how is that bad? People voted for those delegates.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 05:50 PM   #1860
HerRealName
College Prospect

This is the reason we have a VP. I don't think Harris is anyone's first choice but I think she is a solid candidate and would be a better President.

I don't get the democracy concerns. Abraham Lincoln was famously the result of a contested convention.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 05:52 PM   #1861
GrantDawg

No.

Old 07-21-2024, 05:56 PM   #1862
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
People ignored Joe's 1988 and 2008 failed Presidential campaigns in 2020. It is almost as if time and experience changes things.

They didn't ignore it. He just failed upwards. He was a shitty politician most of his life who lucked into the VP role because Dems needed a sort of racist guy to quell anxiety with liberals and moderates over Obama being black. He won in 2020 because Hillary was such a colossal failure in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I don’t understand the appeal of Harris. Her 2020 campaign was a mess, she has done basically nothing as VP, and most of her soundbites over the last few years sound like a kindergarten teacher talking to kids.

I’m probably missing something.

The appeal is she can form a full sentence and speak publicly. That sounds simple but it's something Biden cannot do right now. I don't think she's a good politician or a strong candidate, but she's running against a really unpopular man and that's enough to be competitive. All they need her to do is talk about abortion every chance she gets and come across normal.

And agree that she needs to get off the benzos if she's going to be taken seriously and not sound like she's talking to kids. She seemed much more livelier in recent days so maybe they've corrected that already.

I think the other appeal with her (or anyone replacing Biden) is it injects some life into a party that was dead. Biden was a lame duck. Kamala has a chance to bring back minority and young voters that Biden has chased away. Probably their best chance at beating Trump.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:02 PM   #1863
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
No.

That Aaron Sorkin is full of terrible script ideas.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:05 PM   #1864
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Don't give up the AZ senate seat, but otherwise that's a good list.

Yeah, that Senate seat is way too valuable to give up for a VP slot. If he chooses to run for President (he would be an extremely strong candidate) one day, it's another story.

Shapiro would be the best VP choice if he wants on the ballot. Absolutely dominated Pennsylvania and is a really good politician. I feel like the top candidates are going to sit it out though which is why I mentioned Beshear being a good option because I don't think Shapiro wants the slot.

One of the issues with Cooper as VP is NC has weird rules where if the Governor leaves the state, the Lt Gov takes over and the Lt Gov is fucking insane.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:09 PM   #1865
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Trump melting down on Truth Social over this tells you how scared he is now. He's already essentially backed out of the debate in September now that he realizes he is going to have to go up against someone who doesn't have dementia.

If you're not sure if this was a good move or not, look at how mad MAGA is that Biden is stepping aside.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:15 PM   #1866
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was at my ultra MAGA in laws today when the news broke.

My MIL flat out said she wanted Trump to run against Biden. They know
Old 07-21-2024, 06:32 PM   #1867
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It's really amazing how the GOP is normalizing asking people for their papers...

That’s a shame, but in this case, JPhillips normalized it for her daughter, not anyone else.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 06:40 PM   #1868
GrantDawg

The Harris campaign has raised $27.5 million dollars in the last 5 hours. This is not counting mega-donors who have also added some big donations.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2024, 06:41 PM   #1869
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That’s a shame, but in this case, JPhillips normalized it for her daughter, not anyone else.

With all due respect. You're an asshole if you think it is OK for any government official to ask anyone for documentation based off how they look. It is literally a violation of their rights. Are you actually so stupid as to think this half brained deportation would work?

He didn't normalize anything, just the opposite. He is rightfully worried.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:45 PM   #1870
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So how do you think a round up of millions is going to work?

Last edited by JPhillips : 07-21-2024 at 07:02 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 06:46 PM   #1871
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
This is the reason we have a VP. I don't think Harris is anyone's first choice but I think she is a solid candidate and would be a better President.

I don't get the democracy concerns. Abraham Lincoln was famously the result of a contested convention.

In a perfect world, Biden stays healthy and we, as voters, got to vote for or against his polices. But this had to be done, despite what the press secretary and the major news networks have been saying for years, Biden is not alright. Harris is the next best choice because she was closest to his decisions and can take responsibility for the last 3.75 years by proxy. And of course, she isn’t dealing with a medical emergency that hampers her ability to state the administrations case for why they want open borders, very questionable foreign policies, and crippling inflation.
Old 07-21-2024, 06:53 PM   #1872
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
With all due respect. You're an asshole if you think it is OK for any government official to ask anyone for documentation based off how they look. It is literally a violation of their rights. Are you actually so stupid as to think this half brained deportation would work?

He didn't normalize anything, just the opposite. He is rightfully worried.

+1

Edit: (Agree with Lathum)

Last edited by Racer : 07-21-2024 at 06:53 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 06:55 PM   #1873
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

How did he normalize that?
Old 07-21-2024, 07:06 PM   #1874
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
So how do you think a round of of millions is going to work?

Yeah, that has been the plan all along, no doubt. The Democrats opened the door to tens of millions of illegal migrants and then push the responsibility of cleaning up the mess on the Republicans. Pretty shitty plan if you ask most people. And everyone knows if the Democrats win again, they won’t clean it up but instead invite tens of millions more to arrive.

How do you suppose we support that? Are the millions that have come illegally already even sustainable? Would doubling that number help somehow? How do we support Americans who work for federal minimum wage if we have a work force under the table making $5 less an hour? How do we help them if we don’t know they exist? What if they need medical attention but are too afraid to go a hospital?

As for mass deportations that are promised, we’ve never had to do it before until Biden and Harris forced us all to reconcile this insanity. Like the Democrats, I have no idea how it will be done, but it needs to be done.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-21-2024 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:09 PM   #1875
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's plenty we could do, work permits, a path to citizenship, financial incentives, etc., but the GOP is focused on an entirely unworkable plan in large part because the cruelty is the fun part.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:09 PM   #1876
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How did he normalize that?

He should have told her she’s an American and therefore she has nothing to worry about instead of telling her that she needs to carry her passport everywhere she goes.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:12 PM   #1877
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
There's plenty we could do, work permits, a path to citizenship, financial incentives, etc., but the GOP is focused on an entirely unworkable plan in large part because the cruelty is the fun part.

I’m sorry you believe that, but it’s not the truth. The truth is that America has the most generous immigration quotas in the world and Republicans support those quotas and legal immigrants 100%.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:18 PM   #1878
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
In a perfect world, Biden stays healthy and we, as voters, got to vote for or against his polices. But this had to be done, despite what the press secretary and the major news networks have been saying for years, Biden is not alright. Harris is the next best choice because she was closest to his decisions and can take responsibility for the last 3.75 years by proxy. And of course, she isn’t dealing with a medical emergency that hampers her ability to state the administrations case for why they want open borders, very questionable foreign policies, and crippling inflation.

Do you think Trump is "alright"?
Old 07-21-2024, 07:24 PM   #1879
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
The Democrats opened the door to tens of millions of illegal migrants and then push the responsibility of cleaning up the mess on the Republicans. Pretty shitty plan if you ask most people. And everyone knows if the Democrats win again, they won’t clean it up but instead invite tens of millions more to arrive.

Just out of curiosity, how many tens of millions of illegal migrants do you think are in the United States?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 07:28 PM   #1880
GrantDawg

Another bonus: We can stop hearing about Hunter Biden as if anybody cared.

Old 07-21-2024, 07:30 PM   #1881
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bets that the dnc will be total chaos?
Old 07-21-2024, 07:32 PM   #1882
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Another bonus: We can stop hearing about Hunter Biden as if anybody cared.

Joe needs to just pardon him.
Old 07-21-2024, 07:36 PM   #1883
GrantDawg

Many have already endorsed Harris, but I think it would be good if there is someone to challenge her. At least one or two more besides Manchin. Then schedule a debate, maybe two in the next week or two.

Old 07-21-2024, 07:39 PM   #1884
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Many have already endorsed Harris, but I think it would be good if there is someone to challenge her. At least one or two more besides Manchin. Then schedule a debate, maybe two in the next week or two.

Do they have the time to arrange all that? I think there are ballot deadlines that start next month right?
Old 07-21-2024, 07:43 PM   #1885
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I’m sorry you believe that, but it’s not the truth. The truth is that America has the most generous immigration quotas in the world and Republicans support those quotas and legal immigrants 100%.

I believe you think that, but plenty of elected GOPers ad pundits have called for great reductions in legal immigration.
Old 07-21-2024, 08:03 PM   #1886
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

It is really 11th hour, but I think 1 or 2 more could be culled. My two picks would be Governors Josh Shapiro and Andy Beshear. I don't think Harris improves the odds of winning the White House at all, in fact may actually hurt it.

Plus, I would much rather have options that include politicians who are popular in swing/red states because it shows they govern for all people.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-21-2024 at 08:04 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 08:06 PM   #1887
GrantDawg

"Do they have the time to arrange all that? I think there are ballot deadlines that start next month right?"

No state has a ballot deadline before the convention in September. The only one that did, Ohio, changed the law to be after the convention. Technically, no one is the nominee until they are officially selected during the convention.

Edit: August, not September

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-21-2024 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 08:14 PM   #1888
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, that has been the plan all along, no doubt. The Democrats opened the door to tens of millions of illegal migrants and then push the responsibility of cleaning up the mess on the Republicans. Pretty shitty plan if you ask most people. And everyone knows if the Democrats win again, they won’t clean it up but instead invite tens of millions more to arrive.

How do you suppose we support that? Are the millions that have come illegally already even sustainable? Would doubling that number help somehow? How do we support Americans who work for federal minimum wage if we have a work force under the table making $5 less an hour? How do we help them if we don’t know they exist? What if they need medical attention but are too afraid to go a hospital?

As for mass deportations that are promised, we’ve never had to do it before until Biden and Harris forced us all to reconcile this insanity. Like the Democrats, I have no idea how it will be done, but it needs to be done.

There's 10-12 million illegals in the country right now. Not tens of millions pouring in. Stop watching Fox News.

Clinton had more deportations than any President in history. You can take any 4 years of Obama's administration and he deported more than Trump's 4 years. Biden is on pace to pass Trump on deportations as well. Obama and Biden have also prioritized focused and selective deportations while Trump was deporting whoever and wherever.

The Biden administration also reached a deal with Mexico to take back illegal immigrants administratively returned from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua, and Venezuela which has been a sticking point on some deportations because it's difficult to get them back to their home country. Because of that the Biden admin has processed more administrative returns than any President since Bush.

Each administration has handled deportation and the border differently. Trump was largely ineffective at deporting anyone and created a massive administrative clusterfuck at the border that, at best, bordered on cruel and inhumane. There's absolutely no proof than the last 3 democratic presidencies went easy on illegal immigrants. Different approaches, to be sure, but no data supports your claims. Republicans were the ones, remember, that passed on a border bill that they wanted because Trump wanted to run on border policy.

Last edited by Atocep : 07-21-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 08:23 PM   #1889
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He should have told her she’s an American and therefore she has nothing to worry about instead of telling her that she needs to carry her passport everywhere she goes.

They literally passed a law in Texas that allows police to ask you for proof of citizenship and are obligated to arrest you if you don't provide it.

I'm sure she can show up to court and prove it after spending a night or two in jail, but that seems like a terrible experience.
Old 07-21-2024, 08:32 PM   #1890
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Also both parties have nearly identical stances on immigration. Biden literally put forth Trump's immigration bill this year which the GOP shelved. Democrats have been deporting more than Republicans over the past few decades as well.
Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure Republicans are going to totally do the mass deportations they've been talking about this time. The mass deportations they seemingly forget about the minute they take office. They'll definitely increase labor costs for their corporate donors who's dicks they've been relentlessly sucking for decades. It's totally going to happen this time. Right after they build that beautiful wall.
Old 07-21-2024, 08:46 PM   #1891
GrantDawg

"It is really 11th hour, but I think 1 or 2 more could be culled. My two picks would be Governors Josh Shapiro and Andy Beshear. I don't think Harris improves the odds of winning the White House at all, in fact may actually hurt it."

Shapiro has already endorsed Harris, so he is not running against her. He would be a great pick for VP, with the only downsides being he has only been governor for a year, and he is another prosecutor.

Beshear likely won't either, but it is conspicuous that he hasn't endorsed her yet, and he is going to be on "Morning Joe" to "talk about the path forward."

Old 07-21-2024, 08:46 PM   #1892
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Honestly wouldn’t waste any effort persuading Dutch at this point. He has shown what he is. I deal with them every day living in a red state. I call them cult members. They are completely unpersuadable. For every fact you present they counter with twice as much complete horseshit and pass it off as fact. They killed a party that at one time I felt comfortable voting for.

Last edited by dubb93 : 07-21-2024 at 08:47 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 08:48 PM   #1893
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'm certain all these tech billionaires are donating to Trump because they're excited to see him deport their programmers and drastically increase the cost of labor for them. They just love paying more for programmers.
Old 07-21-2024, 09:06 PM   #1894
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This is such a shitty thing to say especially after you admitted you have no idea how a mass deportation program would work.

How will they do mass deportations without mass detentions? How will they know who to detain? How will those detained prove their citizenship, and again, for most people a driver's license doesn't do it? When you have a child who is a person of color, yes, you need to plan on how they can prove their citizenship if Trump is elected and he carries out his promises.
Old 07-21-2024, 10:06 PM   #1895
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Pete not named...

pretty sneaky sis
Old 07-21-2024, 10:34 PM   #1896
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don’t like them at all, but Manchin balances the ticket as VP
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 10:43 PM   #1897
Swaggs
Coordinator

Manchin is just as old as Trump.

Shapiro should be the first call. If he does what’s best/safest for him, he will wait until 2028. If he does what’s best for the Democratic Party (and, in my opinion the country), he will join the ticket. PA governor will be replaced by democratic Lt. Governor. Same with Whitmer in Michigan. Kelly and Cooper can’t afford to give up their seats.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 11:02 PM   #1898
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The PA lieutenant Governor is 33 years old. If Austin Davis is not ready to be governor, we are going to get a very terrible governor in 2026. Which I guess that assumes that Shapiro is vice president.
Old 07-21-2024, 11:03 PM   #1899
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Google wasn’t really working for me, but I’m pretty sure Davis would be the youngest US governor in at least a century

Last edited by stevew : 07-21-2024 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2024, 11:12 PM   #1900
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So like now is the time when all of the independents and other parties step up and put forward good candidates, right? Maybe we'll turn into England. Labor party, green party, capitalist party, uh....what else...