Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #1851
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Dola...

To be fair, though, at this point, I've caved to the inevitable and now think Carolina will make the playoffs since Florida lost tonight. They just need another Florida loss or two points in any of their last four games to clinch, so I think I can let myself believe it'll happen now.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #1852
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Since you mentioned Kessel and Krejci, I too am wondering which one the Bruins will keep. I don't know that they can afford both in the long term.

Correct me if I am wrong, I don't follow Boston that closely. Wasn't Krejci racking up points early on, continuing through about December. Then has recently cooled (along with many other Bruins)?

Would this coincide with Bergeron missing time again, Kessel missing time, etc? Merely coincidence? Or, a sign that as opponent's roll more attention to him, he isn't producing like he was while flying under the radar?

This is not to say Krejci is a bust, I still think he's a nice player, still young (22?), and a good #2 center. But 20 year olds like Kessel don't come along everyday. He's a yearly 40 goal guy.

Also, don't they have other young centers- Marchand, Hamill-- who could fill that role?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #1853
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, I don't follow Boston that closely. Wasn't Krejci racking up points early on, continuing through about December. Then has recently cooled (along with many other Bruins)?

Would this coincide with Bergeron missing time again, Kessel missing time, etc? Merely coincidence? Or, a sign that as opponent's roll more attention to him, he isn't producing like he was while flying under the radar?

This is not to say Krejci is a bust, I still think he's a nice player, still young (22?), and a good #2 center. But 20 year olds like Kessel don't come along everyday. He's a yearly 40 goal guy.

Also, don't they have other young centers- Marchand, Hamill-- who could fill that role?

Yes and I suppose.

Krejci went cold when the entire lineup went cold. Kessel has been very streaky this year, too. When both guys were cold, the whole team was cold. But I wouldn't point to one or the other and say "because X wasn't playing well, Y wasn't playing well," especially since they usually play on different PP units.

Both players present a unique skill set: Krejci seems to be able to "slow the play down" and make other players on the ice better through passing and positioning and Kessel's blend of speed and scoring touch can really burn defenses.

I think the knock on Kessel has always been that he can become invisible at times if he's hounded physically throughout a game, at least that's my impression of him sometimes. He's already overcome a lot in his personal life (cancer) so I think the next step is to figure out how to fight through physical adversity on the ice. Krejci isn't a big banger by any means but he's been stepping up his physical game lately.

I answered "I suppose" about using prospects like Colborne and Marchant to fill Krejci's roster spot if he leaves because I don't know much about those prospects but my impression of both of them was that they are not playmakers. I thought that Colborne was more of a Joe Thornton-type and Marchant was more of an agitator and penalty killer-type.

Krejci seemingly came out of nowhere this year, though, so it's not to say that the Bruins system, which is loaded with young centermen, wouldn't be able to find similar success with a young player.

I do agree that Kessel would be more difficult to replace since top snipers don't grow on trees and are seemingly harder to develop. That being said, I don't know how the Bruins will approach negotiations with both Krejci and Kessel since they have to deal with both at the same time.

Sublime 2, care to chime in?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #1854
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

The Jackets might have the biggest game of their 9 years tonight, as they have a rare 5 point game against Nashville. Their magic # against Nashville is 5, as the Preds can max out at 92, while the CBJ sit at 88. If Columbus can win in regulation tonight, Preds can max at 90, while the Jackets are at 90, but Columbus wins the tiebreaker.

If Columbus wins, then 2 different games Sunday could put them into the playoffs, their game against the Blackhawks, or the Red Wings against the Wild. Their magic # would be 2 against Minnesota, so a CBJ win OR MIN reg loss OR CBJ OT loss + MIN OT loss would clinch.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #1855
Galaxy
Coordinator

With the Rangers falling this afternoon, the Sabres can get within two of the final spot (and have two games in-hand on the Rangers and one on the Panthers (who play tonight), going into tonight's game) by beating NJ tonight. If we can run the table, we're in (of course, I don't count on that). We hold the tie-breakers as well.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-04-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:04 PM   #1856
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Avery really is such a dick.

I have player hockey my whole life anf there is a difference between getting under your opponents skin and just being an asshole.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #1857
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Avery really is such a dick.

I have player hockey my whole life anf there is a difference between getting under your opponents skin and just being an asshole.

Did something happen today in the Rangers-Bruins game?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #1858
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just saw the replay of what Avery did to Thomas today. What an absolute idiot and I really wish that somebody wouldn't bother giving him the choice when it comes to manning up. Just start dropping bombs and if he keeps trying to turtle make the officials save him.

What a waste of talent.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #1859
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just saw it now, I love how he tries to pretend it's an accident. "Doo do doo, just skating along, minding my business... oops! well, these things happen, doo do doo..."

I love the Rangers, but dammit is that guy a douchebag.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #1860
bhlloy
Coordinator

WTF - this time I actually have a big problem with what Avery did. What a little douche. If I was coach of the B's I would have had Chara standing by the penalty box door for the last 5 secs of the penalty and then just pounding him when he came out, maybe with Montador and Lucic on the ice to make sure he didn't manage to skate back to the bench.

Hopefully one day can do what Domi did to Samuelsson to this guy, except Avery won't be able to keep on playing. I can dream right?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #1861
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
With the Rangers falling this afternoon, the Sabres can get within two of the final spot (and have two games in-hand on the Rangers and one on the Panthers (who play tonight), going into tonight's game) by beating NJ tonight. If we can run the table, we're in (of course, I don't count on that). We hold the tie-breakers as well.

Way to go. You jinxed them.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #1862
samifan24
Pro Starter

Avery is a thug. How many more chances will he get?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #1863
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

For somebody who's so convinced that he's Hollywood, Avery is a terrible actor.

I can handle the dickish moves, but can the innocent routine. He has an entire open rink in front of him, and he happens to take the path that leads to him "accidentally" hitting a goalie in the head with his stick Does he think he's fooling anybody?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #1864
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Not to mention that his reaction seems wrong. If I accidentally did that, I'd turn and apologize. "Oh shit! Sorry bro!". Avery just shrugs and keeps skating.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #1865
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Dola...

To be fair, though, at this point, I've caved to the inevitable and now think Carolina will make the playoffs since Florida lost tonight. They just need another Florida loss or two points in any of their last four games to clinch, so I think I can let myself believe it'll happen now.

Woo-hoo! The inevitable is finally official as Carolina beats the Pens, 3-2 in OT. Ward was absolutely sick in goal. Without his efforts, we'd have gotten blown out badly, but he robbed a few goals, notably a Crosby breakaway in the first and stopping a Malking penalty shot in the third. It also pays to be lucky in his position as a Pens goal got waved off by a penalty that occurred just seconds before and then had a third period post-ringer that fell behind him that he was fortunate he didn't swipe into his own goal.

A weird situation now exists in that Carolina is in fifth but has clinched while Philly's in fourth but hasn't, based on more wins in fewer games, a tiebreaker that means nothing at the end of the season when everyone has 82 games. Florida loses any tiebreaker to Carolina on wins, while Florida has already clinched the head-to-head with Philly should they tie on points and wins, the only possible way for a tie to happen. Of course, Philly should inevitably clinch, but it is one of those weird things that happen with the way the point system and tiebreakers are set up.

Of course, all this had to come about on the night the Tar Heels won in Detroit in the Final Four, so the local news coverage was damn near wall-to-wall on that while the Hurricanes merited something equivalent to a backpage mention during the time devoted to the sports news (which was mostly a rehash of everything that was already discussed about UNC's win in Detroit). I understand basketball is far and away the most important team sport in this area (believe me, I live and very much die with it myself), but it'd have been nice to at least mention it at some earlier point in the newscast. (Yes, it's possible that my opinion is probably clouded somewhat by my eternal detestation of all things UNC, but I'm not going to let that stop me from complaining.... )
Old 04-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #1866
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The Western Conference playoffs are getting nuttier. Just still tight as heck, with 3-4 games left for all contenders. Columbus can't seem to put distance on the pack either, so now they have to see if they can hold onto 6th (although I think they're a lock for the playoffs).

Ducks got a huge win Saturday night in beating up on the Sharks in San Jose. Yeah, who called that one, eh? Same two teams meet tonight in the Honda Center, so hopefully the Ducks can do it again. With the way all the other teams are playing, every point counts right now.

BTW, the local paper has a columnist who's article always has a Top Quote sidebar, featuring some recent quote by or about sports. Today's quote? Brian Burke's quote "sueing his ass" to some fan impersonating him on the Internet.

Take a bow, Sean. You're even a hit out here.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #1867
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Woo-hoo! The inevitable is finally official as Carolina beats the Pens, 3-2 in OT. Ward was absolutely sick in goal. Without his efforts, we'd have gotten blown out badly,

Bolded

That could have been very similar to what the Pesn did to NJ the other night. That easily could have been a 3-0 lead in the first for Pittsburgh.

Kind of shitty that Carolina, Philly and Pittsburgh, in some order, will be 4-5-6, and two of them will play in the 1st round, knocking out one of the better teams in the East in the 1st round.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #1868
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

This is the Cam Ward we've been expecting to see since he won the Conn Smythe in '06. I don't know what's gotten into him, but it's a remarkable sea change from even earlier this year. His backup, Micheal Leighton, hasn't seen the ice since early in February when they upset San Jose on the road. His play especially lately has been eerily reminiscent of the 2006 playoffs.

The debate ongoing right now is that with the playoff spot bagged whether it would be a good idea to give Cam a break and let Leighton play against the Islanders in the next game. The problem is with Philly and Pittsburgh jostling with them for position, they're kind of stuck in the position of still having to win in order to perhaps capture home ice in the first round, so they may have to go all out against the Islanders anyway. I do worry that having played what has been essentially playoff hockey for probably a month now may cause a bit of fraying at some point. It's always easier to lead from the front than having to exert energy to catch up like they've had to do.

I've been torn for a little while on what position I wanted Carolina to finish should they make the playoffs. I think that if they couldn't finish fourth, it'd be almost better to finish sixth or seventh as I feel Carolina would have a better time, even with lack of home ice, against either New Jersey or Washington than having to battle Philly or Pittsburgh as the five seed. Chances are, though, that #5 is where they'll end up and play Philly in round one. If they survive that, I hope someone else clips NJ or Washington because Carolina has completely sucked against Boston this year (first time I think in the combined history of the Hartford/Carolina franchise that Boston swept the season from them).
Old 04-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #1869
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Chicago makes the playoffs. Woo

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #1870
Logan
Head Coach

Great moment before tonight's Rangers-Montreal game. Officer Steven McDonald came out to announce the winner of the annual award given in his honor. Before his son announced who it was going to, he took a minute to say, "The rest of the NHL may think our season is over. I say, 'No friggin way!'"

Now on to our biggest game of the season. No excuse to lose this with it being Montreal's 3rd in 4 nights.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #1871
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What has happened to the Devils?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #1872
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Go Hawks and Yotes!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #1873
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
What has happened to the Devils?
I don't know, but I imagine that Lou will be the head coach by the end of the week. And I'm only mostly kidding.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #1874
samifan24
Pro Starter

Nice of the Islanders to show up tonight. Wow, Carolina is on fire.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #1875
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Go Hawks and Yotes!

Heh...goes for both of us, although I am still hoping the Ducks can catch you guys.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #1876
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Nice of the Islanders to show up tonight. Wow, Carolina is on fire.

I had mentioned on the NC State board that tonight's game with the Isles felt a lot different from the 9-3 win over Tampa earlier this season. With that one, Carolina just got an avalanche of goals in the second period to turn a close game into a rout. Even so, Tampa didn't really "quit" if you will. They still managed to bag a couple of goals in the third period to make a 9-1 embarassment a slightly less embarrassing 9-3.

Tonight's game was much more cold-blooded and ruthless. New York seemed to have bailed on the game after the first period, but Carolina didn't let them off the hook. How else to explain a 45-shot disparity in the game (57-12)? Carolina just kept coming and coming until the latter half of the third period when they did seem to finally throttle down. I've never really seen such a one-sided contest as this one was, especially in the second and early third periods.

A few franchise records got tied or broken tonight: shot disparity in a game (+45), Staal's fourth hat trick this year (new season record), Ward's 39th win (new season record), extending the current home win streak to 13, and tying the franchise mark for consecutive wins (9), done twice back in 2005-06.

Even with all this great play, they still can't overtake Philly as the Flyers essentially buried Florida with a 2-1 win tonight. Philly remains ahead on games-in-hand for fourth place. Florida, meanwhile, is now down three points after the Rangers knocked off Montreal tonight and will need a lot of help at this point to get in. Buffalo is essentially now done for as they'd have to win all their remaining games while the Rangers don't get any more points to force a tiebreak in their favor.

With everyone in the top six in the East aside from New Jersey playing great hockey down the stretch, it's going to make for great playoff matchups and some crushing disappointments for teams after a great stretch run to finish the season.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #1877
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think the East is very weak this year and as of right now, Carolina is my team to come out of it.

Boston has the potential to be great but I still wonder where their scoring is going to come from when the games tighten up.

Washington has Jose Theodore. Next.

New Jersey is playing terribly, though if they start cranking I suspect they win the East. That said, by no means is that even a given to happen.

Philly is solid, but I cannot see them beating Carolina or Pittsburgh at this point in time.

Pittsburgh is going to be a dick to play, and I think they dispatch of Jersey, assuming that is the 3-6, rather easily considering how each team is playing right now.

Montreal is so banged up along the point, and doesn't have any pure goal scorer worth a lick right now, I think Washington just outscores them and dispatches them easily.

Rangers as an 8 are going to give Boston fits. They have the most talented goaler outside Brody, but Henrik needs to show it. The Rangers can make some things happen with Torts on the bench, but I think Boston over powers them.

Obviously with 2 games left for most teams the bottom 4 can change, but I stand by the fact Carolina is the most complete team in the East as of today and with Cam Ward playing well, and having done it before, they are my current pick to make it out of the East.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM   #1878
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, as far as the Wings go, I sure hope Anaheim stays at 7. They're playing well, and have given us fits before, but I'd much rather face them then a Central team to start. The Ducks are still very undisciplined and have had shakier goaltending then Columbus, who I really would rather not face.

I wouldn't be adversed to the Blues, but not really liking a first round encounter with Columbus or Nashville.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #1879
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I think the East is very weak this year and as of right now, Carolina is my team to come out of it.

While it's nice to have the vote of confidence there, I think you're viewing the East a bit much from that lofty perch you've got in the West. I think the East is much more even than the West from 1-8, which I suppose could be interpreted as being "weak" inasmuch as parity is usually equated to weakness. The West has two super-teams in San Jose and Detroit, but after that, it's hard to say who could be a challenger to either of those teams. Of course, with San Jose's history in the playoffs, that's not actually an impossible task, but I digress. At any rate, to qualify in the East is likely going to take a minimum of probably 93 points (last year it was 94), but the West could potentially see a sub-90 team get in. There may not be a great team in the East compared to the West, but I believe there are more good teams, at least among the playoff contenders.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #1880
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
While it's nice to have the vote of confidence there, I think you're viewing the East a bit much from that lofty perch you've got in the West. I think the East is much more even than the West from 1-8, which I suppose could be interpreted as being "weak" inasmuch as parity is usually equated to weakness. The West has two super-teams in San Jose and Detroit, but after that, it's hard to say who could be a challenger to either of those teams. Of course, with San Jose's history in the playoffs, that's not actually an impossible task, but I digress. At any rate, to qualify in the East is likely going to take a minimum of probably 93 points (last year it was 94), but the West could potentially see a sub-90 team get in. There may not be a great team in the East compared to the West, but I believe there are more good teams, at least among the playoff contenders.

I think the disparity in talent between the East and West is as big as ever. Chicago and Vancouver would probably be top 3 in the East if they played a full East schedule. The East is more wide open because there are not a lot of dominant teams, but the West is wide open because there are a lot of great teams.

I think the Eastern Conference Champion will have an edge in the SCF because it will be a war going through the West.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #1881
USFLTecmo
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm hoping for a Flames-Canucks series somewhere in there, even if it takes some odd bounces to happen. They entertain me every time I see the two teams tangle.
USFLTecmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #1882
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola, as far as the Wings go, I sure hope Anaheim stays at 7. They're playing well, and have given us fits before, but I'd much rather face them then a Central team to start. The Ducks are still very undisciplined and have had shakier goaltending then Columbus, who I really would rather not face.

I wouldn't be adversed to the Blues, but not really liking a first round encounter with Columbus or Nashville.

The Ducks make me nervous, but, then again, based on how the Wings have played throughout the year almost any team will make me nervous. I can see them running into a hot goaltender and end up losing games 3-2 or 4-3 while out shooting their opponent 50-20.

The only advantage to playing a Central Division team is less travel and earlier games. Those 10:30 pm starts are killers to and older fella like me. I am just not all that productive anymore if I go to bed after 1 am or so.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #1883
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Dear Chicago,

Can we just pass the puck around for 60 minutes? Thanks!

Sincerely,
Columbus
Old 04-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #1884
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFLTecmo View Post
I'm hoping for a Flames-Canucks series somewhere in there, even if it takes some odd bounces to happen. They entertain me every time I see the two teams tangle.

I'd like to see that series too.

As for the East, I really want to see some combination of Washington/Philly/Pittsburgh play one another. That'd be some high entertainment value. The Avery factor makes any Rangers series entertaining. New Jersey/New York is always fun. I am pretty ambivalent towards the rest.

Boston/Montreal is a classic, but with how poorly Montreal is playing and with all the injuries, I don't see that series as being all that great.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #1885
Travis
Pro Rookie

Oilers officially eliminated.

Do we really have to wait until after the season to fire Lowe and MacT?

Oh wait, just got a text message from Katz...
Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #1886
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I want the Caps and Pens to play in the first round.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #1887
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I want the Caps and Pens to play in the first round.

I think it's almost impossible since they have the Isles tomorrow night.
They'd have to start Garon for it to be close.

Assuming a win there, they can't finish any lower than 6th I believe.

Just like last season though, they are afraid of getting Philly in round one, and will tank the finale vs Montreal Saturday.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #1888
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah the Pens won't finish lower than 6th.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #1889
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

I'm man enough to admit that my eyes watered a little bit last night. Never thought that this day would actually come.

Go Jackets!!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #1890
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I saw that Turner and forgot to post it. Congrats on Columbus making the playoffs!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #1891
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Congrats Turner!

Just don't somehow wind up 7th asshole. Please.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #1892
molson
General Manager

The next "Winter Classic" will be held at Fenway Park:

Confirmed: Bruins to play at Fenway on Jan. 1 - The Boston Globe Bruins Blog - Boston.com

These things really don't look like great in-person spectactor events with the seats so far back, but this should look awesome on TV.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #1893
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I think it's almost impossible since they have the Isles tomorrow night.
They'd have to start Garon for it to be close.

Assuming a win there, they can't finish any lower than 6th I believe.

Just like last season though, they are afraid of getting Philly in round one, and will tank the finale vs Montreal Saturday.

Hah...they are starting Garon tonight!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #1894
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Well, that was a resounding way to break up the win streak as Buffalo flogged Carolina, 5-1. It was a microcosm of all the bad losses this year: Cam giving up a breakaway goal, sloppy passing, lack of intensity, and occasionally just plain bad luck. It didn't help that Miller was pretty sharp. I'm sure there are a fair number of playoff teams right now that are happy that Buffalo didn't get in.

Carolina got bailed out by the Rangers beating Philly, though, which means home ice is still possible. Philly has to win on points because any tie goes to Carolina by wins. Carolina has 45 wins to Philly's 43 and the only way Philly can match is to win both which makes it moot because Philly would have more points overall. Therefore, if Carolina wins on Saturday at New Jersey and Philly loses one game in regulation of the remaining two, then Carolina would be #4. It's not likely against the Islanders, but could be possible in the finale against the Rangers.

Just checked and Montreal is now in because they got the point they needed against Boston which will shut Florida out since Montreal owns the tiebreaker on head-to-head. So, the Rangers do have something to play for on Sunday in getting a possible #7 and a matchup with Washington as opposed to Boston. They hold the tiebreak over Montreal on total wins.

So, the East as of tonight is something like this:
#1 Boston vs #8 Montreal OR NY Rangers
*The Rangers win any tiebreaker, so the only way the Rangers are eighth is if Montreal gets at least one point in their last game and the Rangers don't.

#2 Washington plays the other of whoever gets Boston above

#3 New Jersey plays #6 Pittsburgh OR Carolina OR Philadelphia
#4 ?? vs #5 ??
*Any tie goes to Carolina on wins, then to Pittsburgh. Carolina has one more than Pittsburgh and two over Philadelphia, so any combination of results where teams end up tied on wins results in Carolina losing on points anyway due to overtime losses for the other teams netting them extra points over Carolina.

Philadelphia finishes at the Islanders and then home to the Rangers, Pittsburgh is at Montreal, and Carolina is at New Jersey.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #1895
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It sounds like the Wings have signed Franzen to an extension. 11 years... That's a long time. Not sure what the salary cap number is, but I am sure the length of the deal is designed to lower the per year cap hit, just like Zetterberg's.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #1896
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It sounds like the Wings have signed Franzen to an extension. 11 years... That's a long time. Not sure what the salary cap number is, but I am sure the length of the deal is designed to lower the per year cap hit, just like Zetterberg's.

Good thing he paces himself by only playing 65 games a year.

Love Franzen but the injuries are a huge concern.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #1897
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Looks like 3.9 per year cap hit
Old 04-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #1898
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola, Kenny Holland is exploting these contracts and I love it. Franzen gets a majority up front with the same cap hit and will be retired in 7 years.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #1899
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola, Kenny Holland is exploting these contracts and I love it. Franzen gets a majority up front with the same cap hit and will be retired in 7 years.

He is definitely exploiting the contracts.

$4 million a year isn't half bad for a 30 goal scorer.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #1900
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Last thing I expected to read after seeing "Detroit player" and "11 year deal" was Franzen.