Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #1851
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FYI for Mizzou fans. The news about Texas and A&M considering the Big Ten is good news for Mizzou. IF Texas and A&M go to the Big Ten (which isn't a given at this point), the other three teams will be Nebraska, Mizzou, and Notre Dame.

There's a reason that Deaton has talked with Texas and it has nothing to do with desperation.

So MBBF, do you actually believe Texas is going to want to bring MU with them to the Big Ten? Per Chip Brown's posts, it doesn't sound like Texas is a big fan of Missouri at this time. So why would Texas bring MU with them to the Big Ten?
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #1852
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
So MBBF, do you actually believe Texas is going to want to bring MU with them to the Big Ten? Per Chip Brown's posts, it doesn't sound like Texas is a big fan of Missouri at this time. So why would Texas bring MU with them to the Big Ten?

Yeah, especially since you stated yesterday that your AD was being patently insincere in his respect for DeLoss Dodds. Why trust someone like that?

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #1853
MrBug708
Head Coach

KCTV5.com: Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which Big 12 schools take Big Ten invites could be finalized by the end of day Thursday

Uh oh, today's thursday and it's the end of the day in the east...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #1854
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yeah, especially since you stated yesterday that your AD was being patently insincere in his respect for DeLoss Dodds. Why trust someone like that?

There's dogs playing with cats right now. Texas is being considered because Notre Dame wants them. Nebraska is the one who wants Mizzou. We'll just have to see who ends up pulling the strings.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-10-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #1855
digamma
Torchbearer

Texas "is being considered."

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahaha.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #1856
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Texas "is being considered."

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahaha.

What's inaccurate about that? They've asked for admission and are currently talking with the conference.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #1857
MrBug708
Head Coach

The second immediately following Texas asks to be in the Big-11 will contain a simple word of "Really?"
Old 06-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #1858
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So you are saying that once they get a ton of money, they are going to take a pass at making even more money?

Why has everyone been ok with the BCS over a playoff in the past when all figures show a playoff would make more money? I dont get it, but for whatever reason college presidents have already done what your asking me.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #1859
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The second immediately following Texas asks to be in the Big-11 will contain a simple word of "Really?"

Well it depends what Texas asks for in return, because the Big 10 is not taking 6 teams like the Pac 10 was willing to do for them. Dont kid yourself here, i can think of a lot of things to be talked over before the two sides agreed to it.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #1860
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
What's inaccurate about that?

You answered your own question:

Quote:
They've asked for admission
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #1861
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
8 leagues, sounds perfect for a 8 team playoff

I have mixed feelings on a playoff, but if you went there - I'd say 4 leagues, 8 divisions seems perfect for an 8 team playoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #1862
MrBug708
Head Coach

Im pretty sure the Big-10 and Notre Dame would take all three Texas schools if that was the deal laid out
Old 06-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #1863
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Why has everyone been ok with the BCS over a playoff in the past when all figures show a playoff would make more money? I dont get it, but for whatever reason college presidents have already done what your asking me.

If you believe that article linked earlier in the thread, Beebe was the lone holdout from allowing a playoff to happen in 2007.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #1864
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I have mixed feelings on a playoff, but if you went there - I'd say 4 leagues, 8 divisions seems perfect for an 8 team playoff.

Would kill the small conferences and make it hard to determine who wins the conferences
Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #1865
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Im pretty sure the Big-10 and Notre Dame would take all three Texas schools if that was the deal laid out

From the KCTV station article update.......

Quote:
KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #1866
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
If you believe that article linked earlier in the thread, Beebe was the lone holdout from allowing a playoff to happen in 2007.

Well the article said the Pac 10, Big 10, and Big 12 all said no if were thinking of the same article, the one about Delaney playing Beebe for a chump?
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #1867
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
There's dogs playing with cats right now. Texas is being considered because Notre Dame wants them. Nebraska is the one who wants Mizzou. We'll just have to see who ends up pulling the strings.

Why would Nebraska want Missouri in the Big Ten? Are there ties that I'm not seeing? If Nebraska wants a fellow Big 12 team in the Big Ten then there's a more obvious choice and I highly doubt that even happens.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #1868
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Would kill the small conferences and make it hard to determine who wins the conferences

And?

A) If we run through this scenario, I think they'd see killing the small conferences as a GOOD thing.
B) You could either have the conf championship games be round 1 or you could use those games for seeding.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #1869
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
From the KCTV station article update.......

People don't actual believe that. The whole point of offering to take TTU along with TAMU and UT was so that they would want to do it. Texas supposedly WANTS to take TTU, not leave them behind. That's why people dont take that report outta KC with much more then a grain of salt. The PAC-10 doesnt want TTU but will take it to get Texas. Texas didn't care about Baylor because it's a private school. Texas Tech isn't in that same situation. The PAC-10 would rather have Utah over TTU, but agreed to TTU because that's what Texas wanted.

They aren't trying to ditch TTU

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-10-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #1870
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Why would Nebraska want Missouri in the Big Ten? Are there ties that I'm not seeing? If Nebraska wants a fellow Big 12 team in the Big Ten then there's a more obvious choice and I highly doubt that even happens.

Well NU people say Osborne is pulling that string, and it has to do with Big 8 ties and what is "right"
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #1871
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
People don't actual believe that. The whole point of offering to take TTU along with TAMU and UT was so that they would want to do it. Texas supposedly WANTS to take TTU, not leave them behind. That's why people dont take that report outta KC with much more then a grain of salt. The PAC-10 doesnt want TTU but will take it to get Texas. Texas didn't care about Baylor because it's a private school. Texas Tech isn't in that same situation. The PAC-10 would rather have Utah over TTU, but agreed to TTU because that's what Texas wanted.

They aren't trying to ditch TTU

They are not trying to ditch them, but the Big 10 is a better offer. I dont think anyone is arguing that point. So you have to weigh the options, stick with your friends or do whats best for you
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-10-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #1872
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well NU people say Osborne is pulling that string, and it has to do with Big 8 ties and what is "right"

Yeah, but you see why I suggest there's a program with much closer ties to Osborne in the Big 12 right? That's why I don't buy the Nebraska lobbying for Missouri idea.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #1873
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
They are not trying to ditch them, but the Big 10 is a better offer. I dont think anyone is arguing that point. So you have to weigh the options, stick with your friends or do whats best for you

Im don't think that is a decision Texas can make on its own.

btw - Chip is saying he is breaking another story 6-620 CDT.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #1874
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
btw - Chip is saying Texas is breaking another story 6-620 CDT.

Fixed.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #1875
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Didn't I read somewhere last night that the decision to go to the B10 was made elsewhere & Osborn was basically notified of the decision?

If I didn't dream that, could letting him influence who they lobby for might be a bone thrown his way?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #1876
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Fixed.

I take that as you know something bad is about to happen to something you believe?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #1877
MJ4H
Coordinator

Apparently the SEC told Texas they could form their own TV network and that perked Texas's interest. That was in the A&M+Texas meeting this morning, which had the SEC video-conferenced in on.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #1878
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I take that as you know something bad is about to happen to something you believe?

Or that UT has their hand up his ass and is just using him as a PR feed. He's getting all his 'stories' from one spot.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #1879
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Didn't I read somewhere last night that the decision to go to the B10 was made elsewhere & Osborn was basically notified of the decision?

If I didn't dream that, could letting him influence who they lobby for might be a bone thrown his way?

There is a rumor that Osborn started backing away from the idea of leaving the Big 12, but nobody knows if that's true or not.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #1880
MrBug708
Head Coach

It really makes no difference, his tweets have usually been spot on.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #1881
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, but you see why I suggest there's a program with much closer ties to Osborne in the Big 12 right? That's why I don't buy the Nebraska lobbying for Missouri idea.

Ya, but Mizzou was already a prospect for expansion. The big 10 isnt going to add someone just because Osborne wants them too, their in a much stronger position then the Pac 10. So all of the lobbying for who gets spots is dealing with teams already under consideration for those spots. That is unlike the Pac 10 where all the lobbying is over who the Pac 10 is going to be forced to take by the teams it actually wants.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-10-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #1882
wade moore
lolzcat

Put me in the camp of someone not all that directly impacted (Tennessee fan, but moreso W&M in the FCS), but that has become fascinated by refreshing this thread and watching it play out.

Oh - and periodically pointing out MBBF's Hypocrisy and completely false claims that he'll swear is true, then prove false, and then he attempts to explain away.

Quote:
Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #1883
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
It really makes no difference, his tweets have usually been spot on.

Well to be fair what news did he break that has officially happened? He didnt break the CU story, and thats all that has been officially confirmed...He has a lot of eggs in the Pac 16 story, so we will see what happens and how quickly his story changes if the breeze blows the way it seems to be blowing right now.
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #1884
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ya, but Mizzou was already a prospect for expansion. The big 10 isnt going to add someone just because Osborne wants them too, their in a much stronger position then the Pac 10. So all of the lobbying for who gets spots is dealing with teams already under consideration for those spots. That is unlike the Pac 10 where all the lobbying is over who the Pac 10 is going to be forced to take by the teams it actually wants.

Yeah, but why lobby for Missouri? I just don't think Osborn would care one way or another if Missouri joins the Big Ten with them. There are no ties that I'm aware of. Maybe there is a tie there that I'm not aware of and he is lobbying for Missouri. But I just don't buy that story right now.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #1885
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
What's inaccurate about that? They've asked for admission and are currently talking with the conference.

It may be the formalities of the situation that would technically require Texas to "apply" for membership, but if that were the case (who knows if it is) there would be not a single second that it was "under consideration" by the Big Ten. The Big Ten isn't the one doing the considering.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #1886
Blade6119
Coordinator

And Mr. Bug, after calling out Mizzou for not keeping secrets(based off no facts whatsoever), shouldnt you make assumptions about Texas not being able to keep secrets when it is their rivals reporter with so much information?
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #1887
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, but why lobby for Missouri? I just don't think Osborn would care one way or another if Missouri joins the Big Ten with them. There are no ties that I'm aware of. Maybe there is a tie there that I'm not aware of and he is lobbying for Missouri. But I just don't buy that story right now.

I dont really buy it either, but NU people are the ones pushing it and not mizzou people, so i cant say how credible the various people are.
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #1888
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
And Mr. Bug, after calling out Mizzou for not keeping secrets(based off no facts whatsoever), shouldnt you make assumptions about Texas not being able to keep secrets when it is their rivals reporter with so much information?

Huh? Which secrets is texas leaking?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #1889
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The problem with Missouri is that it's decent in every category you can use to measure value, but always a distant second to someone else. Missouri is the plain girl you keep smiling at just in case while you ask others to the prom.

I think you're spot on. Texas Tech will get asked before Missouri because she's the sister of the most popular guy at school (Texas).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #1890
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Huh? Which secrets is texas leaking?

Everything Chip Brown has reported?
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #1891
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently the TTU chancellor spoke with both presidents of UT and TAMU and they told him there was no deal to the big10
Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #1892
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Everything Chip Brown has reported?

I don't think anything has been much of a secret nor has Texas cared that its out?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #1893
MJ4H
Coordinator

Latest from CB:

There is no truth to reports that Texas and Texas A&M are considering the Big Ten. But A&M is still considering the SEC.

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech appear to be in lock step to the Pac-10 but will wait til next week to announce anything.

I'm still hoping for A&M. Would love to see something like VT, Clemson, FSU come with them.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-10-2010 at 06:00 PM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #1894
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think anything has been much of a secret nor has Texas cared that its out?

I dont think anything that is out there from any school has really been a big secret, im just wondering what were these secrets mizzou leaked that led you to bag on their athletic department compared to schools like Texas where most of the news and breaking stories seem to be coming from...just seems hypocritical unless im missing some secrets the mizzou athletic department let slip, and if so please tell me because I would love to hear something from them.
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #1895
MrBug708
Head Coach

If TAMU goes SEC the PAC should take kansas but will probably take Utah. TAMU is certainly being provincial
Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #1896
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Latest from CB:

There is no truth to reports that Texas and Texas A&M are considering the Big Ten. But A&M is still considering the SEC.

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech appear to be in lock step to the Pac-10 but will wait til next week to announce anything.

I'm still hoping for A&M. Would love to see something like VT, Clemson, FSU come with them.

Here's the link to the Dodds, errrr, Chip Brown article.

Orangebloods.com - A&M could throw off Big 12 six targeted by Pac-10
Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #1897
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Latest rumor in the "conferences of our lives" soap opera is that this is the most likely scenario:
Texas, TTU, Utah and the OKlahoma schools to the Pac-16
A&M to the SEC
Nebraska to the Big Ten

This makes a lot of sense to the Pac-10 as you keep the "geographical rivalry" thing in tact with OK/OK St, UT/TT and CU/Utah. The ND thing is still up in the air, seems like they could go big east or big ten at this point (or stay independent).

To another point:
Quote:
I have seen this discussed on the UofA boards and its a valid argument. I bet they each get one home game in california, one in the south and one in the north. The Zona schools get hosed with having to play both Ok and Texas
Arizona has around 25 kids from Texas and in the mid-30s from California. Stoops has a much bigger footprint in Texas from his OK days and adding Texas would probably help UofA's recruiting because players passed over by the long horns could now be guaranteed to play UT if they joined Arizona.

Last edited by Arles : 06-10-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #1898
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
If TAMU goes SEC the PAC should take kansas but will probably take Utah. TAMU is certainly being provincial

I bet that happens too. It's another TV market for them as Texas had pretty universal appeal in the state.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #1899
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It was good to get the good news of Colorado joining the Pac-10 today. Hopefully, Nebraska declares for the Big 10 tomorrow and all of the dominoes can fall into place for Texas, Oklahoma, etc joining the Pac-10.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-10-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #1900
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It was good to get the good news of Colorado joining the Pac-10 today. Hopefully, Nebraska declares for the Big 10 tomorrow and all of the dominoes can fall into place for Texas, Oklahoma, etc joining the Pac-10.

I'm not sure we'll hear much outside of Nebraska moving tomorrow.