Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #18851
Edward64
Head Coach

Market up +59 just before Obama's 1:30 speech. Hope its not irrational exuberance.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #18852
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Market up +59 just before Obama's 1:30 speech. Hope its not irrational exuberance.

It probably is. They are saying he is not announcing a deal.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #18853
GrantDawg

Btw, I hope he has tell someone to shut up again. Maybe make them stand in the corner this time.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #18854
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Btw, I hope he has tell someone to shut up again. Maybe make them stand in the corner this time.

That was a riot.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #18855
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
That was a riot.

I saw that! Did they ever identify who it was?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #18856
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I seriously doubt they are listening to anything you say unless you have been identified/flagged for some reason. Like making phone calls to England. (I kid, I kid.)

In all seriousness, we would need thousands of trained intel analysts to do that and I don't recall us hiring a bunch of those to handle that sort of workload.

Some of the Eastern bloc nations in the 80's and China seem to be good examples of it going past just ease dropping on the "bad guys" but of course that will never happen in America. I was born here so it must be the greatest country in the world with only good intentions of catching bad guys.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #18857
Jas_lov
College Starter

Looks like they'll get a smaller deal through. It will be interesting to see how House Republicans vote. Not sure if Boehner will be able to get half of them to vote for it if it's just the tax increases on incomes over $400k and the spending cuts are just kicked down the road 6-12 months.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #18858
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Looks like they'll get a smaller deal through. It will be interesting to see how House Republicans vote. Not sure if Boehner will be able to get half of them to vote for it if it's just the tax increases on incomes over $400k and the spending cuts are just kicked down the road 6-12 months.

My guess is that the whole agreement with Boehner is that he'll allow the vote, and just enough Republicans will vote yay to get it passed. That way, as many Republicans in the House as possible will be safe from being primaried on this vote alone.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #18859
Edward64
Head Coach

McCain PO'd at the cheap shots that Obama took. I agree with him, seemed very unprofessional and unnecessary to "tease" the GOP.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #18860
GrantDawg

Quote:
McCain PO'd at the cheap shots that Obama took. I agree with him, seemed very unprofessional and unnecessary to "tease" the GOP.

And the Republican's always speak with such reverence about the President.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM   #18861
Kodos
Resident Alien

Is there anything that doesn't PO McCain these days?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #18862
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #18863
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Out of character for him unlike the GOP ... an unnecessarily antagonistic.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #18864
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Republicans are outraged that Obama won't stand still and let them use him as a punching bag :P
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #18865
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'm kind of surprised that the Republicans are fighting so hard over the income level for which tax cuts should expire. Most wealthy people are making it through capital gains, not ordinary income. Just seems like a silly thing to to tie your ship to. Unless they're using it as a bargaining chip to get something they really want.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #18866
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The Republicans are outraged that Obama won't stand still and let them use him as a punching bag :P

He was way out of line today. He turned that into a pep rally campaign event.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #18867
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
He was way out of line today. He turned that into a pep rally campaign event.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #18868
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

How quaint. That went out the door 30 years ago. Or are you just being defensive on this particular president and don't care/remember about the animosities during Reagan/Bush1/Clinton/Bush2 terms?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #18869
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There is some strange and interesting drama here about Hillary's collapse and now hospitalization. The National Enquire the day before she was hospitalized said that she had brain cancer and would need to secretly have a battery of tests to confirm the diagnosis. Now, her reps say she has a blood clot, and is being treated with blood thinners. The thing is, if she does have a blod clot stemming from a blow to the head, they would not be using blood thinners. Has the National Enquirer stumbled on another actual scoop?

I saw the basic story yesterday & couldn't help but think back to William Casey.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #18870
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Out of character for him unlike the GOP ... an unnecessarily antagonistic.

You mean they are mad that Obama is finally fighting back rather than caving? Poor dears.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #18871
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Is there anything that doesn't PO McCain these days?

His prostate?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #18872
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully they get the milk thing done as that was going to amount to legislative malpractice if they allowed the government to get ripped off like that.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #18873
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
How quaint. That went out the door 30 years ago. Or are you just being defensive on this particular president and don't care/remember about the animosities during Reagan/Bush1/Clinton/Bush2 terms?

He's responding to someone wanting the President to be nicer. Are you just being offensive on this particular president?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #18874
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sounds to me like a few Senators looking for a reason not to support a deal are using Obama's comments, which, by the way, is stupid. If it's good enough to vote for, the President's comments shouldn't matter.

Of course, the current GOP is full of thin-skinned babies.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #18875
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

We are going over the cliff per CNBC

No Vote in the House Tonight; House Republicans to Caucus at 5pm ET Today: Sources

Quote:
Sources say there will be no vote in the House tonight, meaning the U.S. could very well go over the "fiscal cliff," when tax increases and spending cuts kick in. Stocks pulled back slightly but the Dow remained up over 100 points following the news.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 12-31-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #18876
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup. Boehner can't get anything to pass his crazies in the GOP, so they're going to take their ball and go home. Blame's squarely on them.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #18877
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Yup. Boehner can't get anything to pass his crazies in the GOP, so they're going to take their ball and go home. Blame's squarely on them.

Yeah can't believe those crazies would walk away from an agreement to cut zero spending because the voters all can agree there isn't anything we can cut that the federal government spends money on.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #18878
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
It probably is. They are saying he is not announcing a deal.

Market up 166+.

After hours is up 250+ (as of 4:15pm ET).
24 Hour Stock Market and Forex Data - After-Hours Trading - CNNMoney.com

I must be missing something.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #18879
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They won't cut spending on shit like SS and Medicare, so any kind of realistic savings is virtually impossible.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #18880
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah can't believe those crazies would walk away from an agreement to cut zero spending because the voters all can agree there isn't anything we can cut that the federal government spends money on.

They've actually had two opportunities to lock in entitlement cuts and balked both times.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #18881
Edward64
Head Coach

Breaking news. It'll be fun to see how the House reacts to it.

Obama, Senate Republicans near agreement on ‘fiscal cliff’ - The Washington Post
Quote:
President Obama and Senate Republicans reached a sweeping deal late Monday that would let income taxes rise significantly for the first time in more than two decades, fulfilling Obama’s promise to raise taxes on the rich and averting the worst effects of the “fiscal cliff.”

Vice President Biden arrived at the Capitol just after 9 p.m. to explain the details of the pact he negotiated with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). A Senate vote on the package could be held by 10:30 p.m., beating a midnight deadline, Democratic aides said. The Republican-controlled House will begin considering the bill on Tuesday, with a final vote expected in the next day or two.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #18882
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Two months sequester extension. Obama blinked.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #18883
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Thank God he never helped buy me a car.

Less in tax increases than if he had done nothing and the two month extension lines up with the debt ceiling. The GOP is going to go 2011 times infinity on this debt ceiling vote and Obama's threats to not negotiate are as hollow as can be. He just conceded on taxes while also giving away the only leverage he had in the debt ceiling talks.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #18884
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Two months from now the social programs will be back on the block. Medicare for sure.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #18885
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Two months from now the social programs will be back on the block. Medicare for sure.

As they should be (along with Defense).
Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #18886
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Thank God he never helped buy me a car.

Less in tax increases than if he had done nothing and the two month extension lines up with the debt ceiling. The GOP is going to go 2011 times infinity on this debt ceiling vote and Obama's threats to not negotiate are as hollow as can be. He just conceded on taxes while also giving away the only leverage he had in the debt ceiling talks.

Obama's a shit negotiator.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #18887
molson
General Manager

It's meaningless, but CNN and other media outlets say this deal will "define who's rich" - i.e, a household income of $450,000 or greater. I don't know what this deal has to do at all with determinations of "rich", but this is what the media's going with. It's interesting to me how its so undesirable to be deemed "rich". I was reading this random article in national geographic traveler magazine about some family who took their kids on a extended world vacation for "education" - they said it cost them $150,000, but they insisted they're not a wealthy family. Why the shame in admitting it? I think if you take your kids on a vacation that costs $1,000 you're fucking loaded on a global scale, and if it's $5,000 you're probably fucking loaded on a U.S scale. $150k - you're clearly at or right near the infamous "1%"(though FWIW, the couple in question was Canadian). But there's so much shame in acknowledging as much. There's weird personal financial dynamics going on. It's not cool to be successful.

Last edited by molson : 12-31-2012 at 10:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #18888
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Lemme see here ... delay spending cuts & raise taxes. And people are bitching about Obama?

I realize that McConnell isn't negotiating from a position of strength so, while I'm unhappy with the terms, I'm not ready to strangle him just yet.

If the House goes along with this crap however, those who approve it (at least the version I've seen in the AP itemized summary) can go hang.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #18889
stevew
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, it's the 2nd worst deal negotiated in Washington this year. I thought Ariza and Okafor were still viable.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #18890
Edward64
Head Coach

Maybe I missed it, but did they identify the target or total $ in spending cuts with details in 2 months?
Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #18891
Qrusher14242
High School JV

So does it matter if this gets passed in a couple days? what happens then?
I guess they struck a deal but the House left??
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #18892
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Theoretically it could be passed in 3 years and backdated tbh. People wouldn't pay more immediately for certain until their quarterly/yearly taxes are due for 2013. Obviously the sequester crap is different. Withholding might change on your paycheck, but you can just change your withholding if you need money in the short term.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #18893
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's meaningless, but CNN and other media outlets say this deal will "define who's rich" - i.e, a household income of $450,000 or greater. I don't know what this deal has to do at all with determinations of "rich", but this is what the media's going with. It's interesting to me how its so undesirable to be deemed "rich". I was reading this random article in national geographic traveler magazine about some family who took their kids on a extended world vacation for "education" - they said it cost them $150,000, but they insisted they're not a wealthy family. Why the shame in admitting it? I think if you take your kids on a vacation that costs $1,000 you're fucking loaded on a global scale, and if it's $5,000 you're probably fucking loaded on a U.S scale. $150k - you're clearly at or right near the infamous "1%"(though FWIW, the couple in question was Canadian). But there's so much shame in acknowledging as much. There's weird personal financial dynamics going on. It's not cool to be successful.

I think many believe the rich got us into this mess, they got bailed out, then they got richer. Doesn't sit well with people. Somebody making 500k is not one of those people but some how the rich have suddenly become anybody making more than you.

Last edited by rowech : 01-01-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #18894
Edward64
Head Coach

Waiting for the deeper analysis but hey, thanks Reid, McConnell and Biden.

Glad the AMT got fixed. I'm always worried about it when I boot up TurboTax.

Why don't the Senate take the first pass at the Debt reduction and have the House rubber stamp it.

Senate passes package to avert fiscal cliff; House votes next - CNN.com
Quote:
A full two hours after a midnight deadline, the Senate overwhelmingly passed a deal Tuesday to avert the feared fiscal cliff on an 89-8 vote.
:
The measure now goes to the House where it faces an uncertain future in the Republican-controlled body.

Quote:
Under the Senate package:

-- Taxes would stay the same for most Americans. But it will rise for individuals making more than $400,000 and couples making more than $450,000. For them, it will go from the current 35% to the Clinton-era rate of 39.6%.

-- Itemized deductions would be capped for those making $250,000 and for married couples making $300,000.

-- Taxes on inherited estates will go up to 40% from 35%.

-- Unemployment insurance would be extended for a year for 2 million people.

-- The alternative minimum tax -- a perennial issue -- would be permanently adjusted for inflation.

-- Child care, tuition and research and development tax credits would be renewed.

-- The "Doc Fix" -- reimbursements for doctors who take Medicare patients -- will continue, but it won't be paid for out of the Obama administration's signature health care law.

-- Prevents a spike in milk prices. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said milk prices would have doubled to $7 a gallon because a separate agriculture bill had expired.

What's not addressed

While the package provides some short-term certainty, it leaves a range of big issues unaddressed.

It doesn't mention the debt ceiling, and temporarily puts off for two months the so-called sequester -- a series of automatic cuts in federal spending that would have taken effect Wednesday. It would have reduced the budgets of most agencies and programs by 8% to 10%.

This means that, come late February, Congress will have to tackle both those thorny issues.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #18895
Thomkal
Head Coach

anyone have a list of who voted no? Just curious to see who voted against it and why
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #18896
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Five Republicans and three Democrats voted against the bill: Sens. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Mike Lee (R-Utah), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Richard Shelby (R-Ala.).

Sens. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) and Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) missed the vote.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #18897
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Sens. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) and Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) missed the vote.

Don't we pay them $200,000 a year for life not to miss votes like this?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #18898
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
Five Republicans and three Democrats voted against the bill: Sens. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), Tom Carper (D-Del.), Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Mike Lee (R-Utah), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Richard Shelby (R-Ala.).

My inclination whenever I see a landslide 95-5 or 98-2 vote is to hear what the smaller numbers reasons are because generally when the d/r machine is all on board it is bad news. Can't wait until Feb for the same nonsense and midnight negotiations that (after twenty pages of on FOFC) will kick the can down the road again. Obviously the no shows are trying to avoid having a vote on the record which is even worse than those who voted for the bill.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #18899
Edward64
Head Coach

A little more insight into the +1 year extension into unemployment benefits. If the economy continues to hum I think this should be it.

Unemployment Insurance To Be Extended, $30 Billion Cost Won't Be Offset
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- One of the remaining sticking points holding up a fiscal cliff deal appears to have been resolved, as negotiators have decided to extend unemployment benefits without offsetting the cost.

A source familiar with negotiations told The Huffington Post that lawmakers would treat the provision as "an emergency measure that shouldn't be paid for." A Senate Democratic and Republican source each confirmed the plan.

What that means is that the $30 billion pricetag for a year-long extension will simply be added to the deficit. Republicans have in the past objected to reauthorizing federal unemployment compensation because of its impact on the deficit, though in recessions since World War II Congress has generally added extra weeks of benefits without paying for them.

Over the past several days, lawmakers had tried to find ways to offset the cost of unemployment benefits. They remained at an impasse as recently as Monday morning. Republicans have said little publicly about unemployment insurance during negotiations to avert the fiscal cliff, the nickname for steep spending cuts and tax hikes scheduled to take effect at midnight on Monday.

Getting unemployment insurance extended for a year without the offsets represents a major victory for the administration, which has long touted the stimulative impact and moral necessity of the policy. The Congressional Budget Office says keeping the benefits through next year buys some 300,000 jobs and increases economic growth.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #18900
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Don't we pay them $200,000 a year for life not to miss votes like this?

Thats 3 people out of several hundred - statistical odds are that at least one of them is ill, there could also be severe family issues etc. involved.

(ie. I've never understood people railing with the 'but we pay them to do this' angst .... they're humans ffs and I'm sure understood that was an important vote - if they weren't present then chances are there was a good reason)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote