Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2017, 06:48 AM   #1801
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
What a dumpster fire.

We were hoping to head back to the US over the next 12-18 months to see my wife's family in Florida and Texas, but at this point I'm just going to sit this presidency out I think.

Same here. Was planning to spend some time with my cousins in California this year, but maybe gonna sit it out as well.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #1802
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Also, as much as I do not like my President, at least he's a 30-year public servant with a penchant for killing criminals. And he's not Trump.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 01-29-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #1803
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Speaking as an immigrant who travels outside of the US regularly I think its bloody awful - in a nutshell if I'd been born in the wrong country I'd now find myself stranded outside of the US for a minimum of 3 months.

For me that would have meant separation from my kids and also potentially that my pets would be left unattended ... I'm certain that these are real situation for some people this morning.

PS - I have an Iranian friend who is a Phd student here and is worried he now won't get to finish his studies ... he's more 'Americanised' than most Americans I know, he drinks me under the table and is a pretty good Poker player ... surely its better for the US to have people with a favorable opinion of the US promote it as a nice place than to continue an 'us and them' approach which encourages radicalisation?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #1804
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the liberal side is being really stupid here. That's rather disheartening since what this country needs is a principled opposition to Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Trump’s Immigration Ban Excludes Countries With Business Ties

This kind of thing here(note: I'm not calling you stupid -- I'm calling this kind of reporting stupid). Where are these nations in the executive order? Hint: it's not Trump's list. The list is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump's Executive Order
countries referred to in section 217(a)(12) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1187(a)(12),

This is part of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. The countries are, in simple terms, those identified as terrorist-sponsoring nations by the Secretary of State. The only nation singled out by Trump in this order is Syria. The current nations on the list are the product of how the Obama administration assessed the situation vis a vis terrorism. Ergo, it's a list that has nothing to with Islam per se and nothing to do with Trump's business interests. And people wonder why the media are perceived as having a liberal bias.

But what we get is breathless 'these are muslim-majority countries', 'the sky is falling', 'the Constitution is being shredded', 'Muslim ban', etc. All this does is pander to the ill-informed and give ammunition to alt-right about the media being an 'opposition party', corrupt, etc. Because apparently the headline 'Trump bans immigration from seven nations identified as terrorist sponsors' isn't sensational enough. And so the media is an active accomplice in fracturing relations between divided religious groups(here and around the world) further.

As I've said, I've very much against Trump and wouldn't have supported him for dog-catcher, but this is not a Muslim ban. The truth matters, and I think people seriously need to get a grip here. Caveat: the issues with those already here etc. are a problem but this really shouldn't affect them. If Trump allows it to, most definitely he gets both barrels for that. I'm also in general against restricting immigration, but I think we can make that argument without engaging in this kind of ... well, 'alternative facts'. Nobody is going to beat Trump by sinking to his level(aside from how repulsive and wrong that is to begin with).

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-29-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #1805
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Emirates Airline had to change pilot and crew rosters to fly into the US. That's how stupid this is.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #1806
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
This is all under section 3.

tl;dr vet immigrants, keep muslims out, let non-muslims (christians) in
The way I read it that's for the 6 other countries & Syrian refugees are singled out in Section 5c
Quote:
(c) Pursuant to section 212(f) of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1182(f), I hereby proclaim that the entry of nationals of Syria as refugees is detrimental to the interests of the United States and thus suspend any such entry until such time as I have determined that sufficient changes have been made to the USRAP to ensure that admission of Syrian refugees is consistent with the national interest.
I agree that was Trump's intention, but the actual wording is contradictory, incredibly confusing, and kind of a clusterfuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think it does. Doesn't this Act say they cant?

Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 - Wikipedia
That act re-distributed where immigrants came from and abolished the requirement that their race composition match the existing US population, but still had national quotas which are a form of discrimination by nation at an individual level. Jimmy Carter banned Iranian nationals in 1980, Obama stopped the Iraqi refugee program for 6 months in 2011. Refugees in particular seem even moreso up to the discretion of the President (or possibly Congress?) and are heavily contingent on what nation someone is from. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think defining what nation states we'll accept refugees from is something either well defined or anything the courts are interested in adjudicating. (Returning green card holders, dual nationals, people detained on US soil after being promised entry I'm all for them getting involved in. And a challenge on the Christian part of this is certainly forthcoming & will be interesting to follow - I don't like the way this law did it, but there are countries and times where specific religions are the basis for persecution.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #1807
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Times of London is reporting that Trump held hands with PM May because he has a phobia concerning stairs and slopes.

WTF?
Old 01-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #1808
molson
General Manager

I wonder where we'd go from here if there was actually another terrorist attack. Which of course, isn't any less likely considering none of the people of nationalities who have actually committed terrorist attacks in the U.S. are impacted by this order.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #1809
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #1810
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

That Facebook page isn't working.

Here's the YouTube link to the video.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 01-29-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #1811
molson
General Manager

When Dick Cheney thinks you've gone overboard in the name of national security, it makes you think. Or maybe he's just another liberal confused by alternative facts.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #1812
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The good news is the March for Life people are with us on this.... No?

Okay, at least we have the "All Lives Matter!" people... No?

I guess I don't know what words mean anymore.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #1813
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Many people are saying that Cheney is a RINO.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #1814
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

Okay, at least we have the "All Lives Matter!" people... No?

I guess I don't know what words mean anymore.

Are you saying the March for Life people aren't against this ban? Everyone I know who went is against this.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #1815
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
It was really stupid they didn't include this in the EO. They probably drafted it up and didn't let anyone from the Judicial branch look over it.

judicial branch wouldn't look it over. The DOJ has an office that should have done so, but they were not consulted.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #1816
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
This is part of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. The countries are, in simple terms, those identified as terrorist-sponsoring nations by the Secretary of State. The only nation singled out by Trump in this order is Syria. The current nations on the list are the product of how the Obama administration assessed the situation vis a vis terrorism. Ergo, it's a list that has nothing to with Islam per se and nothing to do with Trump's business interests. And people wonder why the media are perceived as having a liberal bias.

I'd swallow the 'terrorist sponsoring nations' a little more easily if the list actually included nations which had terrorists who had committed atrocities in the US included in it ... y'know Saudi etc.

You might also want to listen to the Guilliani interview where he specifically says Trump asked for a Muslim ban and for him to work out a way to make it legal ...
Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #1817
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

So, is this EO a mess because rather than creating, researching and vetting a sensible (and probably nearly identical) EO, trump did this purely for political sensationalism- an emotional patriotic boost for his supporters?
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #1818
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
100% Pro-Life here. (And if you recruit and pay someone to murder your wife, of COURSE you will be charged with a crime. Trump got *that* one dead right, but he's a politician just like the rest of them, just a little less...political.)
100% against this action.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #1819
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I'd swallow the 'terrorist sponsoring nations' a little more easily if the list actually included nations which had terrorists who had committed atrocities in the US included in it ... y'know Saudi etc.

Ok, but the Trump administration hasn't changed this list(yet), so your argument there isn't with him. The list, FWIW, is about international terrorism in general, not specifically anti-US terrorism. If it's a bad list, it's a bad list, but that doesn't make it Trump's list. He could have listed 18 random nations he doesn't personally like, or specified 'any nation with a majority Muslim population', etc. Quite possibly he would even have liked to. But he didn't.

Quote:
You might also want to listen to the Guilliani interview where he specifically says Trump asked for a Muslim ban and for him to work out a way to make it legal ...

I don't know how to make this any clearer than I already have, but I don't trust Trump at all. Let's assume everything Giuliani said is right. That does not change facts:

** The current list was made by the SoS under the Obama administration(not blaming him for the EO of course, that's all Trump's doing, just saying that they found these nations to be terrorist sponsors for better or worse)

** This simply is not, by definition a Muslim ban. There are lots of muslim nations not on it. The order does not specify 'no muslims get in'.

I think Trump has an obvious and well-documented desire to discriminate against Muslims. This, again, does not change the facts of where this list came from or what the order actually says. To me the issue here is irresponsible, incompetent reporting by the media(the source of the list is one of the most relevant facts here, and is being almost completely ignored) and the counterfactual hysteria following on. That distracts attention from the more important issue about what immigration policy should be.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #1820
molson
General Manager

There's only three countries currently on the SOS "State Sponsors of Terrorism" list. And the White House has said this is likely just a first step towards establishing a broader ban.

It's Trump's list. And using "bad governments" as the only threshold makes zero sense in the first place. The travel ban isn't on government officials. It's on everyone, including those fleeing these governments that are - wait for it - bad and dangerous governments. That's the point. Travel bans intended to make the country safer should at least have some connection to the threat. If we're going to target countries, or types of people (and we should, to an extent, and we always have), why not at least target those which have produced terrorists that have attacked the U.S.? Why ban athletes and airline pilots and doctors and green card holders and people who have worked intelligence for the U.S. military and passed all those clearances?

Last edited by molson : 01-29-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #1821
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Are you saying the March for Life people aren't against this ban? Everyone I know who went is against this.

Pretty sure that is what he was getting at. Sarcasm doesn't always come through in a chat forum.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #1822
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

As far as the list goes, if it's a list of general terrorism and not US specific terrorism, then why is it being used to ban people coming into the US? This is Trump's deal no matter what the origin of the list is. The reporting on it has been accurate.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #1823
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
There's only three countries currently on the SOS "State Sponsors of Terrorism" list.

Educate me on this then. Maybe my facts are wrong. I've seen the full executive order. Syria is the only nation mentioned by name. Everyone's talking about 7 nations. Where are they getting the others from? Otherwhise at most it's 1 + 3 = 4, not 7.

Is everybody just making up the same seven nations? Is DHS just blocking nations not identified in the executive order? What's the missing piece here? Is it a mere coincidence that it is the exact same seven listed in the 2015 visa bill that Obama signed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie
The reporting on it has been accurate.

I don't understand how a thinking human being can reach this conclusion. The headlines and main thrust about the nations from literally every mainstream and almost all non-mainstream articles I've seen has repeated the phrase 'majority muslim' as the reason these countries were selected. No references whatsoever to the legislative sources I've mentioned. That's as far from accurate as it is possible to get, aside from getting the nations themselves wrong.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-29-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #1824
molson
General Manager

I'm sure there's some list in some government policy document identifying those 7 countries, but why was Trump requires to use that list as opposed to some other list or process connected to actual terrorism threats? You talking like his hands were tied on this.

Last edited by molson : 01-29-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #1825
Jas_lov
College Starter

Didn't the order give an exception to Christians and other minority religions? How is it not a Muslim ban. Trump said the whole campaign he wanted one
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #1826
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
** This simply is not, by definition a Muslim ban. There are lots of muslim nations not on it. The order does not specify 'no muslims get in'.

Really? It's a list of countries that is predominately Muslim. One of his trusted advisers says it's a list to ban Muslims. Trump himself campaigned unapologetically that he wants to ban Muslims.

It's not a global ban but the intentions of it are fairly clear.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #1827
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Multiple admin officials made it clear today that Jews were not accidentally left out of the Holocaust Remembrance Day statement, but were intentionally left out because lots of people suffered. That's only one step away from full on Holocaust denial and a favorite line of argument for anti-semites.

The problem with us vs. them politics is that them eventually becomes us.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #1828
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really? It's a list of countries that is predominately Muslim. One of his trusted advisers says it's a list to ban Muslims. Trump himself campaigned unapologetically that he wants to ban Muslims.

It's not a global ban but the intentions of it are fairly clear.

And Flynn's son and former top advisor has called it a Muslim ban.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #1829
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Didn't the order give an exception to Christians and other minority religions? How is it not a Muslim ban. Trump said the whole campaign he wanted one

No, its people of all faiths from the countries in questions. Some of the individual stories picked up are about Christian families who have been prevented from travelling.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #1830
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Really? It's a list of countries that is predominately Muslim

Again, it's the same list that Obama used in 2015 for his visa bill. Was that anti-Muslim? More importantly, did the media treat it that way?(answer obvious)

I'm with you 100% on what he said during the campaign and what he'd probably like to do(I say probably because he lies so much, you can never really know what he thinks). The Holocaust stuff JPhillips just mentioned is disgusting beyond words. None of that changes the facts though. The problem here is the whole idea of 'we know what he really means/wants, so we'll just pretend this is that and attack it as such'. Again, all that does is give him and his supporters ammunition, aside from being fundamentally the wrong thing to do.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-29-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #1831
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson
why was Trump requires to use that list as opposed to some other list or process connected to actual terrorism threats? You talking like his hands were tied on this.

No, I'm objecting to the dominant narrative that the only possible reason he chose these countries is that they are majority Muslim and that he picked them out of thin air, devoid of context. His hands weren't tied, he could have done whatever he wanted to, picked any countries he felt like. In fact, I made that point earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
He could have listed 18 random nations he doesn't personally like, or specified 'any nation with a majority Muslim population', etc. Quite possibly he would even have liked to. But he didn't.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #1832
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Trump called Giuliani to help him draft a muslim ban. He chose a list of predominately Muslim countries that just happened to not include places where he does business. He campaigned on banning muslims. Try to spin it however you want, but it was clearly targeted at keeping muslims out of the US.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #1833
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Calling it Obama's visa bill is way too much of an overstatement. It was introduced by the Republican and included in the budget compromise. It was signed by Obama as part of that compromise, but he never publicly advocated for it.

It was also pretty narrow in scope. All it did was remove the waiver for visas. People could still travel freely, but they had to get visas even for stays under 90 days.

I'd like to know more about the history of the proposal, but right now it looks like a GOP proposal that was bargained into the budget bill and signed because it didn't do anything more than delay some travel.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #1834
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, it's the same list that Obama used in 2015 for his visa bill. Was that anti-Muslim?

I'm with you 100% on what he said during the campaign and what he'd probably like to do(I say probably because he lies so much, you can never really know what he thinks). The Holocaust stuff JPhillips just mentioned is disgusting beyond words. None of that changes the facts though. The problem here is the whole idea of 'we know what he really means/wants, so we'll just pretend this is that and attack it as such'. Again, all that does is give him and his supporters ammunition, aside from being fundamentally the wrong thing to do.

He didn't say probably. He advertised it on his site.

Attention Required! | Cloudflare

I don't really know how the Visa waiver bill correlates to this. It just meant you didn't get the waiver that is given to people travelling from stable allies like the UK and Canada. You had to fill out the proper paperwork. It didn't ban you in any way.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #1835
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't really know how the Visa waiver bill correlates to this. It just meant you didn't get the waiver that is given to people travelling from stable allies like the UK and Canada. You had to fill out the proper paperwork. It didn't ban you in any way.

It's relevant in terms of the countries that were chosen. They were chosen for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Calling it Obama's visa bill is way too much of an overstatement. It was introduced by the Republican and included in the budget compromise. It was signed by Obama as part of that compromise, but he never publicly advocated for it.

Very true. The relevant point I was making though was about what countries are on the list. Some of the countries it applies to can change, because it's based on various lists the government puts together for security reasons. The point is not what consequences the bill imposed, but what chosen were picked and why.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #1836
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Try to spin it however you want,

What part of me repeatedly stating I'm against the policy and strongly anti-Trump makes you think I'm trying to spin it?
Old 01-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #1837
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
What part of me repeatedly stating I'm against the policy and strongly anti-Trump makes you think I'm trying to spin it?

I think its more trying to understand why you think Trump was forced to pick these particular countries because of their use in an arbitrary previous piece of legislation ... that rationalization rather than accepting what Trump himself and some of his administration have indicated (ie. that he's targeting Muslims).
Old 01-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #1838
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Multiple admin officials made it clear today that Jews were not accidentally left out of the Holocaust Remembrance Day statement, but were intentionally left out because lots of people suffered. That's only one step away from full on Holocaust denial and a favorite line of argument for anti-semites.

The problem with us vs. them politics is that them eventually becomes us.

Not a surprise. His campaign teetered on the anti-semitic edge. His most ardent supporters aren't exactly big fans of the Jews.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #1839
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I think its more trying to understand why you think Trump was forced to pick these particular countries because of their use in an arbitrary previous piece of legislation ...

I don't think that, I've said so twice now ... I guess I just think I've run out of useful things to say here.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #1840
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I don't think that, I've said so twice now ... I guess I just think I've run out of useful things to say here.

You said it was "Obama's list", and somehow not "Trump's list", ignoring the context of prior usages of the list being different than this week's, and ignoring the fact that Trump wasn't bound to use that particular list, or even bound to ban travel based on actions of governments.

How is it not "Trump's list" when it's an executive order? This is the most bewildering point I've maybe ever seen here. I'm sure even Trump would tell you that this is a Trump order and a Trump idea, and an execution of Trump policy, down to the last letter. Even Trump wouldn't try to do the tap-dance you're doing here, I think he'd own the entire order and all the impacts it has. I think he'd like to go further, and certainly the people around him would, but it's a first step based on some already-existing list of countries, so his defenders can pretend for a little while that is really no different than what Obama did. Giuliani was proudly declaring on TV that the intent here was to ban Muslims, and this was just the mechanism they though they could get through the courts right now.

Last edited by molson : 01-29-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #1841
molson
General Manager

Quote:
His most ardent supporters aren't exactly big fans of the Jews.

Yes, but many hardcore, hawkish, national security anti-Muslim types are big admirers of Israel and how they conduct national security. The fact that the Trump administration is more hardcore than even those people is pretty scary.

Last edited by molson : 01-29-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:23 PM   #1842
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I get what you're trying to say Brian. I think it's a relevant point when multiple people are saying Trump picked Muslim nations and left out the ones he had business interests in. Was pretty curious why those specific countries were on the list.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #1843
Easy Mac

Well, at least he didn't remove the Director of National Intelligence and Joint Chiefs of Staff from security meetings so he could appoint a racist wife-beater.

I'm honestly worried the US will fall into a dictatorship within the next two years. I thought maybe Michael Flynn would be a man of morals given his service, but that he would allow this to happen without a peep speaks volumes.

This Bannon-Trump marriage has the feeling of that time Putin got his dentist "elected."
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #1844
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Well, at least he didn't remove the Director of National Intelligence and Joint Chiefs of Staff from security meetings so he could appoint a racist wife-beater.

I'm honestly worried the US will fall into a dictatorship within the next two years. I thought maybe Michael Flynn would be a man of morals given his service, but that he would allow this to happen without a peep speaks volumes.

This Bannon-Trump marriage has the feeling of that time Putin got his dentist "elected."
Mike Flynn? He might still be very competent in a narrow job, but he went off the deep end awhile ago on broader topics like Giuliani. Mattis & John Kelly are the two national security appointees I still trust until proven otherwise.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #1845
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou
100% Pro-Life here. (And if you recruit and pay someone to murder your wife, of COURSE you will be charged with a crime. Trump got *that* one dead right, but he's a politician just like the rest of them, just a little less...political.)
100% against this action.

I'm definitely aware that your are not one of the people I'm referring to in my post. I know you did not support Trump and do not support this ban.

Quote:

What I'm saying is there is a significant overlap between people who are pro-life, anti-BLM (and shout "All Lives Matter), and who also support this ban. My post was mocking/attacking those people and not the many people who oppose the EO.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 01-29-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #1846
Ben E Lou

Ok...he's lashing out against the McCain/Graham joint statement. Standard Trump fare. But....

...how are they "always looking to start World War III?" What does that even mean?
Old 01-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #1847
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

I don't think it would ever get that crazy but Bannon is a creepy dude. Read up on his talks about wanting to "destroy the state" and being a Leninist. He does believe in turning the country into a one-party Authoritarian state. Not sure the public would get behind that.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #1848
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Ok...he's lashing out against the McCain/Graham joint statement. Standard Trump fare. But....

...how are they "always looking to start World War III?" What does that even mean?

I think he meant it figuratively, as in when you argue with something someone said and they get irritated - "Let's not make it World War 3". He's frustrated that they always get on his case about something he did or said. It would've been funnier if he said, "Let's not make a federal case out of it."

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 01-29-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #1849
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A lot of people(Russian bots?) on the alt-right hate McCain and Graham and do see them as literal warmongers.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #1850
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I think he meant it figuratively, as in when you argue with something someone said and they get irritated - "Let's not make it World War 3". He's frustrated that they always get on his case about something he did or said. It would've been funnier if he said, "Let's not make a federal case out of it."
Ahhhhh..ok. I can buy that explanation. And I've probably used that metaphor or a similar one in conversation myself. But when you and the people you are talking about could actually have, you know, major influence in *actually* starting World War III, it's kind of an odd one to use.