Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #1801
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nice play by Kansas State to end the half, but they look bad so far.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #1802
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Well Kansas State slept through that first half. Perhaps they will get a wake up call at the half.

And these refs are brutal. Please call a foul on Butler. Thanks.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #1803
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Well Kansas State slept through that first half. Perhaps they will get a wake up call at the half.

And these refs are brutal. Please call a foul on Butler. Thanks.

7 fouls on each team in the 1st half.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #1804
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
7 fouls on each team in the 1st half.

Kansas State is 3rd in the nation at drawing fouls and were hacked the whole first half.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-27-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #1805
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Kansas State is 3rd in the nation at drawing fouls and were hacked the whole first half.

Farther you go in the tourney, the less the refs are going to call. I sure didn't see what you saw. I saw a team sleep walking through the first half and another team taking control.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #1806
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Farther you go in the tourney, the less the refs are going to call. I sure didn't see what you saw. I saw a team sleep walking through the first half and another team taking control.

Same here.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #1807
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You didnt see Clements get sent into the crowd at the end of the half? You didnt Kelly get hacked on a 15 foot jump shot followed by a touch foul called against Kansas State 10 seconds later?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #1808
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I dont care how they call the game. Just call it fair on both ends. You cant allow Butler to push Kansas State around the whole game and not allow Kansas State to do the same on the other end of the court.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #1809
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Seeing the game like row and EF.

Obviously youre seeing it thru purple colored glasses and most likely have a bet on KSt.

GL with that.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #1810
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Seeing the game like row and EF.

Obviously youre seeing it thru purple colored glasses and most likely have a bet on KSt.

GL with that.

You'd be 100 percent incorrect. 2nd half the refs have done fine.

EDIT
Dont you like exciting games? When they let Butler shove KSU around the whole first half they couldnt run an offense. Now they have tightened up the calls and we are seeing some exciting basketball again.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-27-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #1811
Radii
Head Coach

And Gus is awake!!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #1812
Radii
Head Coach

dola, and K-State is too finally
Old 03-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #1813
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah- this game is getting fun, finally

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #1814
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Who in the hell's doing color commentary on this KSU-Butler game? Dusty Rhodes????????????

Yeah - I showed my distaste for Elmore pretty heavily the other night.

Didn't know he was before that game, but god he's awful imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #1815
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Yeah - I showed my distaste for Elmore pretty heavily the other night.

Didn't know he was before that game, but god he's awful imo.

On the other hand, CBS can go ahead and send Jim Nantz to Augusta early and let Gus Johnson call the Final Four.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #1816
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That play right there shows why Butler is going to win. More hustle plays all day long.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #1817
kingfc22
Head Coach

Good hustle plays here late by Butler.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #1818
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That play right there shows why Butler is going to win. More hustle plays all day long.

Exactly. They've beat KSU to the ball all day long. Should have been a technical against KSU as well.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #1819
Radii
Head Coach

Well damn, grats to Butler.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #1820
Schmidty
Coordinator

Awesome!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #1821
rowech
Pro Starter

KSU implodes
Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #1822
henry296
College Starter

I was only able to catch the end of the day, but was Butler able to drive to the basket like that the entire game?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #1823
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Nice win by Butler.

Im not real excited about a Butler/Tenn or MSU final four game but that is this years tourny.

Hard to believe one of them 3 teams will be in the championship game.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #1824
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
On the other hand, CBS can go ahead and send Jim Nantz to Augusta early and let Gus Johnson call the Final Four.
Or send Gus Johnson early to call the Masters?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #1825
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I was only able to catch the end of the day, but was Butler able to drive to the basket like that the entire game?

yes

They ran a backdoor play to success numerous times. KSU couldnt figure it out 7x later.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #1826
RainMaker
General Manager

Well this officially ends any hopes of winning by bracket pool. Needed K-State to make the Championship.

I don't know if I'd say outhustled, I just think K-State was worn out. The way they play defense and the fact they just had a double OT game might have been a reason for it.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #1827
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Well this officially ends any hopes of winning by bracket pool. Needed K-State to make the Championship.

I don't know if I'd say outhustled, I just think K-State was worn out. The way they play defense and the fact they just had a double OT game might have been a reason for it.

They without question looked tired...especially in the first half. In the second half, it seemed they used every ounce of energy they had to catch up and once they took the lead, they were out of gas for the rest of the game.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #1828
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Tough game for K-State. Definitely rooting for Butler in the Final Four

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #1829
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Nice win by Butler.

Im not real excited about a Butler/Tenn or MSU final four game but that is this years tourny.

Hard to believe one of them 3 teams will be in the championship game.

I don't see any of them beating Duke or Kentucky. I think that game is the title game. Assuming they both win today, I don't want to count out WVU, who may be the second best team left.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #1830
Radii
Head Coach

I sense a repeat of last year. Somewhat surprising run to the finals from a team that will clearly be the "home team" in Indianapolis, leading to Butler getting smashed by... well Kentucky/WVU/Duke/Baylor, any of them will do I imagine in the finals.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #1831
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Totally agreed.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #1832
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I don't see any of them beating Duke or Kentucky. I think that game is the title game. Assuming they both win today, I don't want to count out WVU, who may be the second best team left.

Heh just as I was posting something similar. I do think that those 4 are far and away the best 4 teams left, sorry to MSU/Tenessee/Butler.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #1833
RainMaker
General Manager

This is probably the most exciting tournament I've ever seen. I loved 2006 for its starpower but this one just has so many more close games.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #1834
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Heh just as I was posting something similar. I do think that those 4 are far and away the best 4 teams left, sorry to MSU/Tenessee/Butler.

yeah, I probably should have included Baylor into the equation.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #1835
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
This is probably the most exciting tournament I've ever seen. I loved 2006 for its starpower but this one just has so many more close games.

I dunno. It's nice to see a team like Butler make a run and all but I think I would rather have a final game like we had with Memphis- Kansas then watch KY destroy Butler/ MSU/ Tenn. Obviously KY still has to get there, but I think you get my point.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #1836
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I dunno. It's nice to see a team like Butler make a run and all but I think I would rather have a final game like we had with Memphis- Kansas then watch KY destroy Butler/ MSU/ Tenn. Obviously KY still has to get there, but I think you get my point.
I'm talking the tournament as a whole as being fun to watch. Feels like every day is filled with close, fun games.

I would have loved a Kansas-Kentucky final, but I honestly don't know who else on that side of the bracket outside of Syracuse would be able to hang with Kentucky.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #1837
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Or the Butler vs Tenn/MSU game could be considered the finals for when Kentucky has to vacate their wins in a few years.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #1838
wade moore
lolzcat

I know they're 1-2 against UK this year, but you guys do realize that UT is one of the two teams to beat UK this year, right? And you guys are completely writing them off?

Quote:
Old 03-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #1839
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Although I believe the winner of tonight's UK-WVU game is the likely national champion, it does seem only fair to point out that UT split with Kentucky at home (won by 8, lost by 11 when UK had a 30-13 free throw advantage) and then ended up blown out in the SEC tournament.

And in the two losses, the Vols led in Lexington with 10 mins to play and were down only six with 9 1/2 mins to play in the eventual drubbing in the SEC tournament. A blow out probably isn't the most likely outcome in the event those two were to meet again.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-27-2010 at 06:05 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #1840
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Didn't even realize the game was on today. Congrats to Butler, I had a feeling this was a mid-major's year and after their Syracuse thumping the other night, I felt like they were the one team that was driven to get to Indy and make it personal.

As for the naysayers who believe there's no way they can win...I dunno, anything can happen on the big stage. Should they win? No, but realistically, the fact they managed to beat the #1 and #2 team in their bracket to get here proves they're not joking around.

These dudes aren't Cornell, either. I feel like they have a legit shot at this thing. I mean, this is no repeat of George Mason. If it was UNC as a 5-seed or some other name school rather than Butler, the conversation wouldn't be so steered towards them wilting under the "bright lights" when it should've happened already.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #1841
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I have to think CBS execs have to be praying pretty hard for Duke tonight & Kentucky tomorrow. At this point it seems possible that we're looking at the least watched final in history (well, since 1975). The current low water mark is the 17.09 million viewers rtg for UConn-GT, last year was 17.6m for UNC-Mich State, and this could become the 3rd time in 6 years that the number has been < 18m

Yeah yeah, I know, on the court blah blah blah. That's fine as far as it goes but it also doesn't change the very practical reality that those are the only two marquee names left & we already know they can't meet in the final. And ratings like that can influence the shape of the tournament in the future, both in terms of expansion (which is believed to be a requirement for an ESPN bid) and where & how we get to watch the games.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #1842
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, if only the NCAA Tournament was American Idol.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #1843
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, if only the NCAA Tournament was American Idol.

Like I said, blah blah blah & all that.

But no matter what you think of it, it's a valid observation & even moreso considering the potential impact of it (although I don't believe even anything short of a record high final would change CBS' bidding position).

See, I can separate my own rooting interests, my predictions/expectations, and the practical reality of the tournament as a business.

Obviously I've got a deep rooting interest in the tournament for as long as UT is still alive ... but I picked WVU to make the finals from day one. I had UT out after one round. I'd probably be compelled to watch if Duke and/or UK were in the final. But any of the other combinations? That's less interesting TV for me than a mid-week mid-season game between Florida & Ole Miss or a Stanford-UCLA women's game.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-27-2010 at 06:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #1844
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

But no matter what you think of it, it's a valid observation & even moreso considering the potential impact of it (although I don't believe even anything short of a record high final would change CBS' bidding position).

See, I can separate my own rooting interests, my predictions/expectations, and the practical reality of the tournament as a business.

Obviously I've got a deep rooting interest in the tournament for as long as UT is still alive ... but I picked WVU to make the finals from day one. I had UT out after one round. I'd probably be compelled to watch if Duke and/or UK were in the final. But any of the other combinations? That's less interesting TV for me than a mid-week mid-season game between Florida & Ole Miss or a Stanford-UCLA women's game.

Game versus sleep argument...do the two teams playing in the game have the potential to produce a classic game that I would regret missing by not staying up until 11:30/12:00? (or later for BCS games) If not, I'd rather have my sleep.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #1845
whomario
Pro Starter

how the fuck is that a foul ? He´s just freaking standing there ...
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #1846
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Game versus sleep argument...do the two teams playing in the game have the potential to produce a classic game that I would regret missing by not staying up until 11:30/12:00? (or later for BCS games) If not, I'd rather have my sleep.

A very fair point, I hate the weeknight late starts/late finishes as an east coaster. I'm just lucky that I both have sleeping problems & work for myself.

But I wonder if we've reached (actually already passed) the point of critical mass for classics in terms of being worth staying up for? Obviously I'm talking about random matchup stuff, people will still watch teams they're emotionally invested in. But let's face it, there's also an overload of coverage & clips online, no shortage of highlight shows on TV.

Make no mistake here, the end of the XU/K-State game was fun to watch, just the sheer back & forth, can-you-top-that nature of it. But in the end it was also two teams I had zero interest in, couldn't even find a rooting interest while watching it, and was neither the first nor the last damned good finish I've seen before or during the tournament. If I had needed the sleep, I'm not sure how big a sense of loss I would have had under those circumstances.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #1847
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I don't see how anything changes. These networks understand that some years you get the good matchups, some years you don't.

The tournament is popular for what it is. A massive single elimination tournament on neutral court. Any major changes to that format eliminates what makes it so much fun. The talk of expansion would be a major change, but that's not going to change who you see in the Final Four. In fact, it just leaves the opportunity for big name schools to get knocked out more often.

What changes do you feel we'll all be punished with if CBS doesn't draw great ratings? Because when I watch these games, the last thing I care about is what CBS thinks of it.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #1848
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
A very fair point, I hate the weeknight late starts/late finishes as an east coaster. I'm just lucky that I both have sleeping problems & work for myself.

But I wonder if we've reached (actually already passed) the point of critical mass for classics in terms of being worth staying up for? Obviously I'm talking about random matchup stuff, people will still watch teams they're emotionally invested in. But let's face it, there's also an overload of coverage & clips online, no shortage of highlight shows on TV.

Make no mistake here, the end of the XU/K-State game was fun to watch, just the sheer back & forth, can-you-top-that nature of it. But in the end it was also two teams I had zero interest in, couldn't even find a rooting interest while watching it, and was neither the first nor the last damned good finish I've seen before or during the tournament. If I had needed the sleep, I'm not sure how big a sense of loss I would have had under those circumstances.

Well, I didn't stay up for that game and missed it a bit only because Xavier is a local team. I've stayed up for many title games over the years and really only one game stands out as one that I would have hated to have not stayed awake for....Texas versus USC.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #1849
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't see how anything changes. These networks understand that some years you get the good matchups, some years you don't.

The tournament is popular for what it is. A massive single elimination tournament on neutral court. Any major changes to that format eliminates what makes it so much fun. The talk of expansion would be a major change, but that's not going to change who you see in the Final Four. In fact, it just leaves the opportunity for big name schools to get knocked out more often.

What changes do you feel we'll all be punished with if CBS doesn't draw great ratings? Because when I watch these games, the last thing I care about is what CBS thinks of it.

Then enjoy the tournament on ESPN.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #1850
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Watch out Ktuck. When Butler is on WV is unbeatable.