Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #1801
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The South Florida stuff definitely helped. He was also the only person it seemed in the entire country that thought Rutgers could be a top tier team. I remember (I was at Rutgers when he was hired) thinking he was a complete moron and he'd be fired or leave in 3 years and I was by far in the majority in thinking that.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #1802
Edward64
Head Coach

AR found its AD. Now for the HC

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/...letic-director
Quote:
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The University of Arkansas will hire Derrick Gragg as its next director of athletics, according to multiple reports. He would be the permanent replacement for Jeff Long, who was fired Nov. 15 after nearly a decade as the Razorbacks’ athletic director.

Gragg, 48, has been the athletic director at Tulsa since 2013. He served as an associate and senior associate athletic director at Arkansas from 2000 to 2006. He’s also previously served as athletic director at Eastern Michigan University (2006-2013) and assistant athletic director at Michigan (1997-2000).
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #1803
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The South Florida stuff definitely helped. He was also the only person it seemed in the entire country that thought Rutgers could be a top tier team. I remember (I was at Rutgers when he was hired) thinking he was a complete moron and he'd be fired or leave in 3 years and I was by far in the majority in thinking that.

So it is mostly an administration issue that keeps the program down. I thought I'd heard that before, but the memory is not what it used to be.

Ok, so now think seriously, "How would Schiano fit in Tennessee?" Correct me, but this is what I'm seeing. He overcame a lackadaisical administration, pulled from a college hot bed from previous connections, to find moderate success in a pretty weak conference (sorry Big East apologist). Tennessee has a very hands on administration that has nearly unlimited resources that needs a guy that not so much pulls in talent, but knows how to coach them up to the next level. Not seeing how he'd have success there. He screams small school to me.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #1804
GrantDawg

And since I'm on a roll.....

I have the perfect coach for Tennessee: Todd Grantham.

He can get you big name recruits. Names all over the field. Teams will run the ball on you at will, but look at those names! And after a couple of years, once you are ready to fire him, he'll somehow get a job offer for $2 dollars more somewhere else and you could get a real coach to do something with all that talent.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:17 PM   #1805
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
So it is mostly an administration issue that keeps the program down. I thought I'd heard that before, but the memory is not what it used to be.

Ok, so now think seriously, "How would Schiano fit in Tennessee?" Correct me, but this is what I'm seeing. He overcame a lackadaisical administration, pulled from a college hot bed from previous connections, to find moderate success in a pretty weak conference (sorry Big East apologist). Tennessee has a very hands on administration that has nearly unlimited resources that needs a guy that not so much pulls in talent, but knows how to coach them up to the next level. Not seeing how he'd have success there. He screams small school to me.

I would point out that it can easily be said that he has coached up his defenders to the next level as DC for Miami and Ohio State. And wasn't that basically the reason to hire Kirby Smart as head coach of UGA?
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #1806
GrantDawg

Quote:
I would point out that it can easily be said that he has coached up his defenders to the next level as DC for Miami and Ohio State. And wasn't that basically the reason to hire Kirby Smart as head coach of UGA?

Part of it, but a long way from all of it. He was Nick Saban's right hand man, a recruiter with deep ties in the south, and played football at Georgia.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #1807
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hell, speaking of coaching up to the next level, 10 Rutgers players (who played under Schiano) are in the NFL today... which... still pretty surprising.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #1808
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Schiano feels like he would be the perfect hire for someone like Baylor or Illinois.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #1809
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

About those unlimited resources, I saw yesterday that Tennessee's endowment was $1.1B. Purdue's endowment is at $2.5B. Tennessee empasizes football a great deal more but I was surprised at the difference.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #1810
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I actually think Tennessee would be better off bringing in an up-and-comer instead of some tired rehash who the game has passed by.

Like I know it wouldn't be a sexy hire but Satterfield from App State would be good for them. Guy seems ahead of the curve for what's going on in college football.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #1811
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hell, speaking of coaching up to the next level, 10 Rutgers players (who played under Schiano) are in the NFL today... which... still pretty surprising.

Those guys weren't 4 and 5*s either. Schiano got a lot out of the 2 and 3*s he had. Schiano had a lot of WTF losses in his time at Rutgers, but he also got Rutgers to be more than the laughingstock of college football.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #1812
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If Im UT, I call Justin Fuentes agent and say what's stupid, can't say no money.
Then I offer him 500k more than whatever number I hear.

Or if I want a quick short fix, I call Petrino, hold my nose a sign the deal
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #1813
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Why would anyone leave VT for UT? Fuente would have to be crazy to do that.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #1814
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Or if I want a quick short fix, I call Petrino, hold my nose a sign the deal

But Tennessee fans will only accept someone of the highest moral integrity.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #1815
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Why would anyone leave VT for UT? Fuente would have to be crazy to do that.

I didn't say I'd take it if I was Fuente.. But you have an AD that will survive the weekend. He is getting desperate. I'd offer 10mm per to Fuente. He'd win a natty there.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #1816
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I didn't say I'd take it if I was Fuente.. But you have an AD that will survive the weekend. He is getting desperate. I'd offer 10mm per to Fuente. He'd win a natty there.

A&M may be dropping over $100 million to land Jimbo so it wouldn't be too absurd.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #1817
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
What the ... lmao

So who is Kiffin talking to? I feel like the punchline of the joke was withheld from me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #1818
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So who is Kiffin talking to? I feel like the punchline of the joke was withheld from me.

Erik Ainge
Old 11-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #1819
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Mike Leach to Tennessee?

If that happens, every SEC DC should watch the film from the last four Apple Cups to see how to defend his offense.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #1820
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Mike Leach to Tennessee?

If that happens, every SEC DC should watch the film from the last four Apple Cups to see how to defend his offense.

I could see this being a disaster worse than Lane Kiffin.

I actually like Leach, but Mike Leach and Knoxville seems like a terrible idea.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 PM   #1821
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think if the Vols land Leach, they'll have done well. I dont think he wins a title, but I think they can get back to competing. That job is better than either the TTU or WSU job.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:28 PM   #1822
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The talent available is better, but the psycho fanbase and boosters are a million times worse. Leach could work at Nebraska if they've settled down after the decline they've seen from the Solich years, but UT seems like a nightmare location for him if he doesn't win the SEC East in the first 2 years.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:40 PM   #1823
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Leach in Tennessee is like a dream come true... for anyone who wants to be entertained by the drama.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #1824
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Woops, I've updated my post..good thing we aren't in werewolf.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM   #1825
miami_fan
Coordinator

So ahhh.. John Currie gets to keep his job after all? Hmm... interesting.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #1826
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So ahhh.. John Currie gets to keep his job after all? Hmm... interesting.

Fired per FootballScoop.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #1827
Logan
Head Coach

Old 12-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #1828
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Fired per FootballScoop.

It is that easy me to get a coach fired? I wonder if it works for GMs as well.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #1829
Logan
Head Coach

It goes round and round.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #1830
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

It goes round and round.

It does not surprise me that he wants the job, but why would they want that lazy fatass to run the program?
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #1831
bronconick
College Starter

A&M contract for Jimbo is rumored to 7.5 or 8 million per year for ten years.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #1832
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

When your biggest booster is meddling in the search, and is the brother of the majority owner of the Cleveland Browns, I'd think you'd want his advice given his history running a storied and successful NFL franchise...right?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #1833
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
It does not surprise me that he wants the job, but why would they want that lazy fatass to run the program?

Ya either love him there, or know that he's an out of touch egomaniac that has a history of shoving people in front of buses.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #1834
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Ya either love him there, or know that he's an out of touch egomaniac that has a history of shoving people in front of buses.

So you're either his family and agent or you're everyone else?

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-01-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:35 PM   #1835
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Somewhere this evening, Mr. Majors bourbon will taste just a touch smoother and sweeter as this all comes to light.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #1836
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you're either his family and agent or you're everyone else?

Phat Phil looks after Phat Phil. First & foremost.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #1837
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Jimbo to A&M is going through:

Jimbo Fisher leaving Florida State to accept coaching job at Texas A&M
Old 12-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #1838
MrBug708
Head Coach

Biggest job open this year now is the Florida State job. Sounds like Taggert is first up, which means Frost is too far along with Nebraska?
Old 12-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #1839
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

What does Oregon do if Taggart leaves? If I'm them, I'm throwing money at someone like Chad Morris.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #1840
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
What does Oregon do if Taggart leaves? If I'm them, I'm throwing money at someone like Chad Morris.

How about moving quick to tear up whatever tentative deal Frost has with Nebraska?
Old 12-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #1841
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

The fans want Leavitt
Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #1842
rjolley
College Starter

Why isn't Kevin Sumlin's name coming up more for the openings? He seemed to do a good job in getting Texas A&M relevant and was able to recruit talent.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #1843
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Why isn't Kevin Sumlin's name coming up more for the openings? He seemed to do a good job in getting Texas A&M relevant and was able to recruit talent.

Uh, I believe the reasons that A&M unloaded him -- the inability to get much out of that talent (once he didn't have a generational star) -- would be the obvious reason.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #1844
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 12-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #1845
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post

Quote:
Uh, I believe the reasons that A&M unloaded him -- the inability to get much out of that talent (once he didn't have a generational star) -- would be the obvious reason.

There are also some pretty strong rumors out there that he is as much of a drinker as Sark was at USC.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #1846
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, but you could say that about a lot of the names that are being thrown around. The coaching carousel is always interesting with which coach deserves to be retread and which ones don't with the same stated shortcomings.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #1847
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Fisher gets 10 years and $75 million from aTm.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #1848
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The fans want Leavitt
Don't be surprised if they end up turning to Justin Wilcox.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #1849
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

What am I missing? He was hired as acting athletic director but signed a 2 year contract? So he will be acting for two years?
Old 12-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #1850
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fisher gets 10 years and $75 million from aTm.

That's insane.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote