Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #1801
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Chip Brown just tweeted: "There's a Kansas City TV report saying Texas and A&M to the Big Ten. That would be news to those schools."

I think we should have known better once we saw "Kansas City TV report". At least we know where you know who gets his sources from now

Tech is a problem. Baylor can be overlooked, but Texas Tech can't. The PAC-10 wants Utah more then they want TTU, but they want Texas more then they want Utah so...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #1802
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Rest in pieces, Big 12: OU, OSU move west seems imminent | NewsOK.com

Super 16, anyone? The move of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, along with four fellow Big 12 schools, to the Pac-10 Conference seems imminent after several media outlets reported that Nebraska will accept an invitation to join the Big Ten.

One high-placed OU source indicated to The Oklahoman that the Sooners were headed West.

"Load up on your sunscreen,” the source said, referring to the sunny climates of Pac-10 cities.

Poorly played IMO. Only a couple Pac Ten schools are barely south of Oklahoma, and the Pac Ten has 4 or so schools north of the Big 12's northernmost school. He shoulda gone with a Grapes of Wrath reference -- but then again, if Oklahoma was in the AAU they'd be headed to the Big Ten instead of the Pac Ten, so it's a bit of a Catch-22.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #1803
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
He shoulda gone with a Grapes of Wrath reference -- but then again, if Oklahoma was in the AAU they'd be headed to the Big Ten instead of the Pac Ten, so it's a bit of a Catch-22.

Yeah, that's a good point. "The Okies are headed West again, and this time it's personal. The wrath of the Sooners is going to make Tom Joad look like Tom Jones." Something like that.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #1804
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kansas just fired their AD
Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #1805
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Where did you hear that? I've heard that Perkins will resign at the end of next year. He was set to resign over the next few years anyway, but hopefully he can stick around until Kansas finds a conference. He's got a lot of connections in college athletics and they will be helpful if we want to find a home in a major conference.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #1806
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This stuff is definitely as addicting as baseball trade deadline, NFL draft, or MLB/NFL free agency talk/speculation.

I agree. And the D1 team of which I am the biggest fan, North Carolina, won't really be affected by any of this, except possibly the ACC could fall apart.

So, none of this affects the team about which I care, except possibly in a bad way. So I should not be paying any attention.

Except I've clicked on this thread like 10 times today.

Strange.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #1807
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Poorly played IMO. Only a couple Pac Ten schools are barely south of Oklahoma, and the Pac Ten has 4 or so schools north of the Big 12's northernmost school. He shoulda gone with a Grapes of Wrath reference -- but then again, if Oklahoma was in the AAU they'd be headed to the Big Ten instead of the Pac Ten, so it's a bit of a Catch-22.

Yeah, these guys might be in for a bit of a shock when they hit the Northwest in October
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #1808
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Where did you hear that? I've heard that Perkins will resign at the end of next year. He was set to resign over the next few years anyway, but hopefully he can stick around until Kansas finds a conference. He's got a lot of connections in college athletics and they will be helpful if we want to find a home in a major conference.

Unless im missing something I think Mr. Bug is wrong, im seeing the same information you are getting posted in mizzou circles:

Kansas Athletic Director Lew Perkins is set to resign from Kansas University effective with the end of the 2010-2011 school years, sources have told the Lawrence Journal-World and KUsports.com.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #1809
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It's a nearly identical situation to what happened with Mangino. An internal investigation was completed early and cleared him, only to see him make the decision to 'resign' at the end of the year. There's some skeletons in the closet and this is their attempt to avoid explaining why they're there.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-10-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #1810
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It's a nearly identical situation to what happened with Mangino. An internal investigation was completed early and cleared him, only to see him make the decision to 'resign' at the end of the year. There's some skeletons in the closet and this is their attempt to avoid explaining why they're there.

Mangino was never "cleared". He resigned amid the investigation. The investigation pretty much found him in the wrong and thus why he didn't get his complete payout that he was due when he resigned.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #1811
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post

JayhawkSlant.com - AD Lew Perkins has announced his retirement

I was being liberal with the use of fired
Old 06-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #1812
rowech
Pro Starter

Texas and Texas A&M to Big 10...Oklahoma to SEC

Texas Hold 'Em: Longhorns, A&M To Big Ten - Sports News Story - KCTV Kansas City
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #1813
rowech
Pro Starter

I get the feeling this is moving so fast behind the scenes...I'd love if somehow somebody could write a book about how all this is taking place.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #1814
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Welcome to 30 minutes ago
Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #1815
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
JayhawkSlant.com - AD Lew Perkins has announced his retirement

I was being liberal with the use of fired

Ah. Without any inside information, but know Lew as I do I honestly believe it's an actual resignation. Lew has talked about retiring before and with the recent extortion and blackmail garbage you can tell they took a toll on him in his press conferences. I think he wants to stay around long enough to clean up the ticket office and find KU a conference thus leaving his successor with something.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #1816
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

For someone completely unaware of the internal dealings of conferences - can someone quickly sum up for me what started all these dominoes falling? and what the shape of things is likely to be when the dust settles?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #1817
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think we should have known better once we saw "Kansas City TV report". At least we know where you know who gets his sources from now

It doesn't take much to figure out where Dodds' hand is right now.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #1818
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Welcome to 30 minutes ago

Situation is changing too damn fast!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #1819
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI for Mizzou fans. The news about Texas and A&M considering the Big Ten is good news for Mizzou. IF Texas and A&M go to the Big Ten (which isn't a given at this point), the other three teams will be Nebraska, Mizzou, and Notre Dame.

There's a reason that Deaton has talked with Texas and it has nothing to do with desperation.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-10-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #1820
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
FYI for Mizzou fans. The news about Texas and A&M considering the Big Ten is good news for Mizzou. IF Texas and A&M go to the Big Ten (which isn't a given at this point), the other three teams will be Nebraska, Mizzou, and Notre Dame.

There's a reason that Deaton has talked with Texas and it has nothing to do with desperation.

Wait, you believe that Kansas City report?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #1821
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
FYI for Mizzou fans. The news about Texas and A&M considering the Big Ten is good news for Mizzou. IF Texas and A&M go to the Big Ten, the other three teams will be Nebraska, Mizzou, and Notre Dame.

Well in all honesty, if the Big 10 got Tex and A&M, and I was them, I would then look east. So i dont know what to say...I think the NW poster's comments about the nebraska academics problem doesn't bode well for us over Rutgers who performed better in APR.

Van Pelt of ESPN is sayin on the radio A&M and VT to the SEC, so as always this is still all over the place
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #1822
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think the VT and TAMU rumor is a potential offer, not them actually leaving
Old 06-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #1823
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

The Northwestern poster seems to be hinting at that...I think things are still a lot more up in the air then Chip Brown said they were.

The guys at CU who broke their expansion story say everything is sitting on the edge of a sword, that hard negotiations are taking place, and everything should fall into place this weekend.
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #1824
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Absolutely. It's a huge footprint that covers several major TV markets along with landing some schools that fall in line with the Big Ten's academic needs. Notre Dame wants to drag in Texas to make this deal a no-brainer.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #1825
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I get the feeling this is moving so fast behind the scenes...I'd love if somehow somebody could write a book about how all this is taking place.

Apparently the hooked in NW poster intends to, he says Paterno has had a far bigger hand in all of this then people know
Demotivation
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #1826
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nothing happens til tomorrow at the very least. TTU is confident that Texas and TAMU aren't leaving them alone, though I think they could care less if TAMU, as long as they have Texas. There is a news conference by TTU in a bit
Old 06-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #1827
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Absolutely. It's a huge footprint that covers several major TV markets along with landing some schools that fall in line with the Big Ten's academic needs. Notre Dame wants to drag in Texas to make this deal a no-brainer.

No surprise that you do. I wonder if that report came from Kansas, would you still have the same level of belief
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #1828
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Nothing happens til tomorrow at the very least. TTU is confident that Texas and TAMU aren't leaving them alone, though I think they could care less if TAMU, as long as they have Texas. There is a news conference by TTU in a bit

From what I understand, it could take up to two weeks now that Notre Dame is in the poker game. They're laying out scenarios where they'll join and the Big Ten is looking to find one that will work.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #1829
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
For someone completely unaware of the internal dealings of conferences - can someone quickly sum up for me what started all these dominoes falling? and what the shape of things is likely to be when the dust settles?

The success of the Big Ten Network basically changed the game. In the past, teams shuffled around based on BCS bids. Now access to big markets can lead to enormous amounts of money that make BCS money much less meaningful. (The Big Ten made about 7-10 times as much as the Big East in terms of TV revenue per team.) The Big Ten announced that they were considering expanding, and that pretty much set everything in motion.

The different conferences still seem to have slightly different views of exactly what is valuable in potential members, but it seems like 4 or 5 16 team conferences is the likely end game.

Last edited by timmynausea : 06-10-2010 at 04:31 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #1830
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post

In December, the Big Ten announced it wanted to add at least a 12th team, and perhaps explore the thought of a 14- or 16-school conference. There would be a 12-18-month timetable.

This made the Big XII realize there was no way the conference would remain intact if the Big Ten and one other conference went to 16 schools. So the Big XII schools have been exploring their options.

This month, those explorations have reached a flashpoint. Many schools are angry with Missouri for being very open to a Big Ten bid (though, to be fair, the courting is coming from everywhere but the people who actually lead the university).

The Pac Ten, realizing that there's a lucrative way to reach 16 (with Texas) or a risky way (without), this week have made noises that it would like to reach 16 first. Rumors abound, but it sounds like they are willing to take Oklahoma State and Texas Tech in order to secure Texas (and Oklahoma/Texas A&M). The Pac Ten accepted Colorado today.

The Big Ten is expected to welcome Nebraska's application tomorrow. Delany has indicated expansion could come in stages - meaning he wants Notre Dame, no matter how long it takes to convince the Irish. Other schools on the Big Ten radar include Missouri, Kansas, Rutgers, Pittsburgh and Maryland, though there's no real evidence whatsoever of which they prefer. Texas/Texas A&M pops up as a rumor from time to time as well, but it's likely that's just more rumor-mongering.

The SEC is rumbling. It's uncertain whether rumors of an imminent ACC raid have any validity. The indication is the SEC wants to strengthen its position in the southeast (presumably to better lock up places where there is the most athletic talent) rather than expand its footprint, like everyone else seems to want to do.

The Big XII is on life support. Baylor, Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State are contemplating life in a mid-major conference. Rather sadly. Kansas and Missouri have decent prospects. The others do not.

The Big East will die if the SEC raids the ACC. This might force Notre Dame to act.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #1831
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
No surprise that you do. I wonder if that report came from Kansas, would you still have the same level of belief
Well I cant speak for MBBF, but the station in KC is considered a joke in Mizzou circles, as it is the same station that frequently hosts Kietzman. Keitzman is the reporter who broke the big false story a month ago, and now is saying the entire Mizzou department has been nuked and mass suicides are happening left and right when every credible reporter of Mizzou says the people in charge are almost shockingly calm and quiet during all of this.
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-10-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #1832
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
It doesn't take much to figure out where Dodds' hand is right now.

or much to figure out where your head is.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #1833
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Well I cant speak for MBBF, but the station in KC is considered a joke in Mizzou circles, as it is the same station that frequently hosts Kietzman. Keitzman is the reporter who broke the big false story a month ago, and now is saying the entire Mizzou department has been nuked and mass suicides are happening left and right when every credible reporter of Mizzou says the people in charge are almost shockingly calm and quiet during all of this.

Kietzmann is good at using half-truths to make a story. The story about UT/A&M is not from that station. It's from the sports head at KCTV.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #1834
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Blade, don't you blaspheme MBBF's bud, Kietzman, lol.

Kietzman got clowned on air today by Robert Allen from OSU for his initial story. Allen didn't know the story's source was Kietzman and pretty much bashed the story. Kietzman told Allen he still stood by his story. You stay classy Kietzman!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #1835
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good stuff Jim, but I bet that OSU, TTU only have invites to the PAC-10 that are contingent on Texas. If not, it's risky, but I bet they grab Utah, TCU, Oklahoma and one more? IDK in that instance. I think if they miss on Texas, they invite Utah and call it a day
Old 06-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #1836
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Kietzmann is good at using half-truths to make a story. The story about UT/A&M is not from that station. It's from the sports head at KCTV.

What?! Usually any time Kietzman has a story on KU and Lew Perkins you absolutely back Kietzman. What did you do with MBBF?!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #1837
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's the new and improved Mizzou who might be supporting a MWC Missouri program!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #1838
mrsimperless
College Prospect

No mention yet of conference realignments' impact to TCY2. Please discuss.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #1839
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pac 10 done at 11?

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-10-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1840
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The Big XII is on life support. Baylor, Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State are contemplating life in a mid-major conference. Rather sadly. Kansas and Missouri have decent prospects. The others do not.

The Big East will die if the SEC raids the ACC. This might force Notre Dame to act.

There are rumors in Kansas that the athletic director is meeting with Big East officials. The athletic director is formerly of UConn so he's got a lot of connections there, but who knows if this is legit or not.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #1841
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post

At some point, I'd like to discuss why there hasn't been a major release of either product in almost four years. But now is not the time, and the future remains uncertain (as it has been for years).
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #1842
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

This whole expansion is worse then the Oregon coaching search. Why would the PAC-10 stop at 11?!? Why expand at that point? Stick with the original format. I wouldnt be surprised if the quotes were taken out of context. Utah's AD is probably watching all of this while sitting at the edge of his chair and rooting for Texas to the Big-10
Old 06-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #1843
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post

Solecismic 8 are in trouble. My sources tell me that Pac-11 is looking to raid Sitka University.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #1844
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Quote:
At some point, I'd like to discuss why there hasn't been a major release of either product in almost four years. But now is not the time, and the future remains uncertain (as it has been for years).

Nicely done, and I hope this gets some attention as well. Good Luck Jim.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #1845
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
*tons of great info*

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
...it seems like 4 or 5 16 team conferences is the likely end game.

Is there a thought that an end result of these mega-conferences makes playoffs more likely somewhere down the road?

I've been anti-playoff forever basically, but once you're already jamming yourself into huge conferences, it seems like it makes a lot of the current problems in creating a playoff system disappear.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #1846
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes there is a lot of belief that this is ultimately heading towards a playoff.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #1847
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Yes there is a lot of belief that this is ultimately heading towards a playoff.

Its funny, i actually heard the exact opposite, basically that the big motivation for a playoff right now would be additional revenue, and once these schools get their mega conference money they will be less inclined then ever to make that jump
Demotivation

Last edited by Blade6119 : 06-10-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #1848
MrBug708
Head Coach

8 leagues, sounds perfect for a 8 team playoff
Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #1849
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

All of this makes me realize that people are asking for the wrong game. We don't need TCY2....

What we need is Front Office College Conference expansion Manager.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #1850
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Its funny, i actually heard the exact opposite, basically that the big motivation for a playoff right now would be additional revenue, and once these schools get their mega conference money they will be less inclined then ever to make that jump

So you are saying that once they get a ton of money, they are going to take a pass at making even more money?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote