Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #1801
miked
College Starter

It says he prescribed Adderall by a doctor, it doesn't say if that doctor is actually a psychiatrist and whether Adderall is used for anxiety. Another idiot who needs to actually read what is banned before taking anything. Also, I'm sure if you consult the NFL, they will be happy to tell you.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #1802
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
from the story

I understand what the story says. If his defense is that it is for anxiety, it is a terrible defense. There is no medical knowledge that supports Adderall for Anxiety. If he was smart, he would have claimed he had ADHD like the other Giants' player did who got his ruling overturned.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #1803
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Dude, don't mess with a psychiatrist:

"Lathum is dead."

"Dead? How?"

"They heard EagleFan27 whispering to him all afternoon and Lathum crying. They found him at bed check. He'd swallowed his own tongue."

Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1804
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I thought Adderall was a drug that helps improve focus.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #1805
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Dude, don't mess with a psychiatrist:

"Lathum is dead."

"Dead? How?"

"They heard EagleFan27 whispering to him all afternoon and Lathum crying. They found him at bed check. He'd swallowed his own tongue."
:golfclap:
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #1806
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Adderall has no valid usage for anxiety. In fact, it would make it worse.

That said however, the internet is fairly littered with pages like this one and it takes hardly any searching through various anxiety-related forums to find plenty of people who are -- correctly or not -- taking it for specifically as part of an anti-anxiety "cocktail".

It's pointed out in a few of those forums that doctors are reluctant to prescribe for purposes outside the recommended but that, with enough begging/pleading/doctor shopping, it can be obtained.

As much as I think the "I didn't know" defense being claimed by the player is near the height of stupidity, that it was prescribed for anxiety treatment doesn't seem like much of a reach to me.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #1807
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That page and pages like it are not backed by science at all. Adderall is very addictive and actually worsens anxiety in most cases. It definitely does not improve anxiety in any randomized controlled study. That being said, I've had addicts try to claim all kinds of things to get me to prescribe it.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #1808
molson
General Manager

Quote:
That page and pages like it are not backed by science at all. Adderall is very addictive and actually worsens anxiety in most cases. It definitely does not improve anxiety in any randomized controlled study. That being said, I've had addicts try to claim all kinds of things to get me to prescribe it.

Well there you go, the guy needed it because he was anxious his addiction wouldn't be satisfied. Seems legit.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #1809
Rizon
Pro Starter

Players: Replacement refs are 'God awful' - CBSSports.com

Quote:
Players say the biggest problem are the non-calls especially on passing plays. I've seen some of this myself. Receivers just get yanked down to the ground with no flag. "It's open season on wideouts," said one defensive back, laughing.

Lovin it x 800,000. No more SuperTecmo bowl passing/receiving stats anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #1810
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That page and pages like it are not backed by science at all.

Didn't say they were, or even mean to imply they were if I did.

My point was strictly about whether or not it ever gets prescribed for anxiety (whether that's the "official" reason or not). Off label use isn't exactly the most uncommon thing in the world.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #1811
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Didn't say they were, or even mean to imply they were if I did.

My point was strictly about whether or not it ever gets prescribed for anxiety (whether that's the "official" reason or not). Off label use isn't exactly the most uncommon thing in the world.

Off label usage is very common. However, I can tell you no reputable physician would use Adderall for anxiety, off label or otherwise. Adderall stimulates the release of norepinephrine and dopamine in the neuronal junctions. That combination will often worsen anxiety. As a result, anxiety is one of the major cautions (along with psychotic symptoms and bipolar symptoms)that one has to consider before using any stimulant. When I was treating a kid with anxiety and ADHD as co-morbidities, I have to decide (along with parental input) which aspect I'm going to treat first (usually the anxiety which is more crippling when both are present.) Anxiety is not an off label usage for Adderall. It is not a standard of practice or even close to any standard of practice. Melancholic Depression (where there is severe lethargy) on the other hand may benefit from off label usage of a stimulant such as Adderall.

That page you linked has a lot of inaccuracies. Just one of many is that it can't cause psychosis in women. I've seen quite a few mothers who would be glad to tell you their vivid experiences of psychosis in their daughers with Adderall. In any case, he should have followed his teammates route and gotten himself diagnosed with ADHD.

I don't mean to sound negative on Adderall. I've prescribed it for thousands of kids over the years.

Anyway, enough medicine. Back to off-season football talk.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-03-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #1812
spleen1015
Coordinator

The more I see Berman, the more I can't stand him. /wrists
Old 08-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #1813
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The more I see Berman, the more I can't stand him. /wrists

I can't decide if I hate Berman more for not realizing how annoying he's become, or because his existence spawned hundreds more worse than him.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #1814
RedKingGold
College Starter

Andy Reid missing from Eagles practice this morning due to a "personal matter". Team held special prayer this morning to open up practice. Might be something, might be nothing, but it's gotten a few Twitter mentions.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #1815
Suicane75
Coordinator

Buddy of mine just gave me a call to tell me it's all over sports radio. Would be shocked if it wasn't something with one of his sons, unfortunately.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #1816
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Garrett Reid was found dead in his bed at the Eagles camp this morning. Heart-breaking.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #1817
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Buddy of mine just gave me a call to tell me it's all over sports radio. Would be shocked if it wasn't something with one of his sons, unfortunately.

Sadly it is. Reid's oldest son was found dead in the Eagles' camp.

Andy Reid's oldest son, Garrett Reid, found dead at Philadelphia Eagles' camp - ESPN
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #1818
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow, that is just terrible. Whatever issues his sons had that is terrible for any family to have to endure. My prayers go out to Reid, his family, and the Eagles organization.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #1819
spleen1015
Coordinator

Terrible.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #1820
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Garrett Reid was found dead in his bed at the Eagles camp this morning. Heart-breaking.

Terrible tragedy. Reid has struggled with work/family balance. I wouldn't be surprised if he retired soon.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #1821
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if this is exactly "off-season" stuff, but I thought 1 or 2 people might find the names interesting.

Several former NFL players (and one veteran NFL assistant) are among the 77 new high school head coaches in Georgia this season. (Taken from the Georgia High School Football Daily email newsletter, which is awesome stuff & a must-read for any serious fan of HS f'ball in the state)

Region 3-AAAAAA
*Westlake hired North Atlanta head coach Stanley Pritchett to replace Greg Minnis, who was 20-21 in four seasons. Pritchett, a former Atlanta Falcons player, was 2-7 in one season at North Atlanta and 19-13 in three seasons at Booker T. Washington. Westlake last won a playoff game in 2006 under Dallas Allen, who was coach of several future NFL players, including 2010 Heisman Trophy winner Cameron Newton.

Region 4-AAAAAA
*Harrison of Kennesaw hired longtime NFL assistant coach Marty Galbraith to replace David Hines. Galbraith, 62, has been a coach for 40 seasons and had stops at Georgia Tech, Purdue, Wake Forest, LSU, Pittsburgh, Marshall and N.C. State. For the past seven seasons, he was an assistant with the NFL's Tennessee Titans.

Region 8-AA
*Greene County hired former Georgia star running back Robert Edwards to replace Charlie Winslette, who was 12-19 in three seasons. Edwards had been head coach of Arlington Christian in Fairburn and was 7-4 and 8-3 in two seasons. Edwards was a 1,000-yard rusher as a rookie with the New England Patriots in 1998, then made a comeback from a major knee injury and played eight seasons in the NFL and CFL. Greene has not won more than seven games in a season since the 1993 state championship except during the QB Josh Nesbitt era (2005-06).

Also in Region 8-AA
*Riverside Military Academy hired Mount Pisgah offensive coordinator and former Atlanta Falcons player Gary Downs to replace Chris Cotter, who was 3-17 in two seasons. Downs was offensive coordinator for Riverside from 2004 to 2006. Riverside won a GISA state championship in ’05. A Columbus native, Downs coached one season in NFL Europe. He was a special teams leader on the Falcons’ 1998 NFC championship team. Riverside has suffered declining victory totals since joining the GHSA in 2008 and was 1-9 in 2011.

Region 6-AAAA
*Columbia hired Southwest DeKalb linebackers coach David Edwards, a Columbia alumnus and former NFL player, to replace Mario Allen, who was 15-16 in three seasons. Edwards also has been head coach of Columbia Middle School (2006-10) and linebackers coach at Washington (2002-05). He was Columbia’s head coach in 1999 and 2000. He’s a former football assistant and head track coach at Clark-Atlanta University. He played for the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1985 to 1987 as a defensive back.

Also from the pro ranks (although not the NFL),
*St. Francis of 5-A promoted assistant and long-time arena football league coach Brennen Booth to replace Lawrence Smith, who guided the school through its first two seasons of mainly junior varsity competition. Booth has coached for arena league teams in Cleveland, Youngstown, Ohio, Nashville and Atlanta. It was the Georgia Force (2003-05) that brought him to the Atlanta area.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #1822
Kodos
Resident Alien

My heart goes out to the Reid family.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #1823
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Seattle is taking a serious look at T.O.

Source -- Terrell Owens impressive in Seattle Seahawks tryout - ESPN
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #1824
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He's back.

Terrell Owens, Seattle Seahawks agree on contract - NFL.com
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #1825
spleen1015
Coordinator

Ugh.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #1826
mckerney
Coordinator

Getcha popcorn ready.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #1827
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He's fast and if Randy Moss can come back, don't see why not. I mean, it's not as if he's going to make more than the league minimum, he's hungry and clearly has to recognize this is his absolute last shot at making a living at this football thing.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #1828
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Do it for the kids, TO
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #1829
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Adderall (it's NASCAR but I thought the timing of the story made it worth a short link here)...
AJ Allmendinger tested positive for prescription Adderall - ESPN

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1830
Logan
Head Coach

Heads up...Hard Knocks starts on HBO tonight, covering the Dolphins.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #1831
Suicane75
Coordinator

Maybe their cheerleaders will call me maybe?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #1832
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Speaking of Adderall (it's NASCAR but I thought the timing of the story made it worth a short link here)...
AJ Allmendinger tested positive for prescription Adderall - ESPN

Well how stupid was that-oh yeah I'll just take some random pill that a friend gave him. Not sure I believe the story, but even if he's lying, he's incredibly stupid.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #1833
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So how soon until the "Trent Richardson will miss the entire year after surgery on his left knee" story is posted?

Rule #1 - don't draft a RB high
Rule #2 - dont trade up to draft a RB with an injured knee
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #1834
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So how soon until the "Trent Richardson will miss the entire year after surgery on his left knee" story is posted?

Rule #1 - don't draft a RB high
Rule #2 - dont trade up to draft a RB with an injured knee

Not that I mind seeing the Browns continue to wallow in mediocrity, but I feel like the RB position should be one of the least valued positions in the league. I'd put QB, O-line, DB, D-line, WR, and LB before RB (In that order). It is a position where having good pieces elsewhere matters more to a teams success. A team like the Browns has far more pressing needs.

FUCK EA
Old 08-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #1835
Logan
Head Coach

"It's okay, it's just a precautionary visit to Dr. James Andrews to follow up on his previous work."

What are "words you can't say without shitting your pants?"
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #1836
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Joe Haden possibly suspended for 4 games. I mean, if the commish is allowed to even suspend anyone anymore without a major lawsuit, allegations of racism and/or threats of a civil defamation lawsuit.

Last edited by stevew : 08-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #1837
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
"It's okay, it's just a precautionary visit to Dr. James Andrews to follow up on his previous work."

What are "words you can't say without shitting your pants?"

I'm friends with Chris Ogbannayas brother, so this is cool with me.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #1838
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Ed Werder@Edwerderespn
Former NFL V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira has linked one replacement official to Lingerie League and another to World Series of Poker.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #1839
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Joe Haden possibly suspended for 4 games. I mean, if the commish is allowed to even suspend anyone anymore without a major lawsuit, allegations of racism and/or threats of a civil defamation lawsuit.

Apparently his suspension is due to Adderall as well. Dudes are really working on that focus apparently.

FUCK EA
Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #1840
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Apparently his suspension is due to Adderall as well. Dudes are really working on that focus apparently.

What are they, 16 year old kids trying to get high on pills?

Can't we just go back to getting busted for weed?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1841
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Going to see the Bills vs Redskins tonight...
Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #1842
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

HOLY SHIT they better get a deal done with the refs. That touchback call in the Buffalo and Washington game was unforgivably bad.

FUCK EA
Old 08-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #1843
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Chandler Jones is looking like a BEAST running with the Pats first team D against the Saints first team.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #1844
bhlloy
Coordinator

I'm sure the refs are at a bar somewhere getting drunk and laughing their ass off right now. Somebody just threw a flag on Aaron Rodgers for intentional grounding when he was closer to the sideline than the pocket and so far the head ref looks like he's going to cry whenever he has to announce a decision
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #1845
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It's going to be fun watching the Broncos this year (finally) and will be rooting for them in the West.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #1846
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Manning looked pretty shaky to me on that first drive, but I think a lot of it is probably rust. Still moved the team down the field pretty well, but threw 2 balls that could have been picked and one that was.

FUCK EA
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #1847
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Manning looked pretty shaky to me on that first drive, but I think a lot of it is probably rust. Still moved the team down the field pretty well, but threw 2 balls that could have been picked and one that was.

I only saw 1 that could've been picked, the other two were mishandled by the receivers. The fade was overthrown, though. Other than that, he was very accurate (6 completions?) and had time to check off on (and hit) his third receiver.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #1848
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears O-Line in midseason form, I see.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #1849
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Vereen making a play for the top RB spot in New England. He has looked really good so far.

FUCK EA
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1850
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Vereen making a play for the top RB spot in New England. He has looked really good so far.

Ridley looked good too - he was picking up 5yds/carry. Going to be a nice backfield to give Brady some options I hope!